Starting easy on first knife modification

PDA

feedthehogs
January 7, 2008, 02:27 PM
I've always been a knife nut. Always wanted to make my own, never had the time.
Kicking back a little from work and decided the best way to start was to modify something I had.

I like the blade on the Spydie Kumo. Handle was different, wrapped epoxy coated line over stingray skin. Felt good but I wanted something to match my everyday carry gun grips(Kimber 10mm).

Got a pair of Hakin Olive wood grips and wanted the knife to match.
Ordered a slab of Jerusalem olive wood, peeled off the epoxy wrap and stingray skin.

Epoxied the slabs on and on a 1" belt sander formed the basic shape, then fine sanded to my grip and then coated.

I'll try a few more handles, then get to making a try at blades.

Biggest thing is taking your time to do it right the first time.

I've got the little Spydie logo from the old wrap and may inset in into the handle. Not sure.

Top knife is a duplicate of what it used to look like.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/bcwayne/handle1-1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Starting easy on first knife modification" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Valkman
January 7, 2008, 08:11 PM
That looks excellent! I didn't know you were interested in making knives - I don't like it because then you'll be too broke to buy mine! :D

Lemme know when you need help to get started and I'll help any way I can!

JShirley
January 7, 2008, 08:31 PM
Beautiful. Nice work.

John

proud2deviate
January 7, 2008, 08:47 PM
OMG, that is sexy!

Great job. Dangit, now I need to buy a Kumo and some black linen micarta.

Is the blade on yours black, or is that just a trick of the lighting? What kind of epoxy did you use?

Valkman
January 7, 2008, 09:40 PM
Use Devcon from Wal-Mart - the longest setting one is the waterproof one and the one you should use.

feedthehogs
January 7, 2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks all.
Blade is polished, lousy lighting.

Epoxy I use comes from the space industry. I use it in my line of work and buy it in gallon jugs. 2:1 mix. I use slow hardner for extreme strength.

I put the blade/slabs in a vise squeezed between 1/2" pvc foam board for 24 hours.

I never liked any of the 5 min or fast set epoxies on the whole. While I have used them, anything that I want to remain together forever under severe circumstances, I use premium quality epoxy.

feedthehogs
January 8, 2008, 12:42 AM
Dup, lousy net connection going on.

gb6491
January 8, 2008, 01:18 AM
Nice wood and a very well done job on the knife:)
Regards,
Greg

feedthehogs
January 8, 2008, 01:54 PM
dup.

CWL
January 8, 2008, 04:25 PM
Nice grips!

Is the tang exposed along the edges, or did you completely cover the metal?

Six O'clock Tactical
January 8, 2008, 06:42 PM
nicely done. ::little bit of jealousy over here:: lol

feedthehogs
January 11, 2008, 12:14 AM
CWL,
The tang is exposed. I mirror polished the edges, looks real good.

I though about taking the mill and inletting the tang in the wood, but that would have made the handle wider. As it is it fits very comfortable in my hand and allows me to get a good firm grip without making my hand tired.

If you enjoyed reading about "Starting easy on first knife modification" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!