Chalk Ammo?

PDA

kd7nqb
January 8, 2008, 03:19 AM
I am watching a special on Ft. Knox and they said the guys that train use real guns with special ammo that fires blue chalk instead of bullets. When they showed them firing they looked like legit guns tossing out regular brass. Does anybody know if this is true? If so where can I buy some of this chalk ammo? Any special requirements needed to fire this stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Chalk Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
woodybrighton
January 8, 2008, 03:25 AM
practice m203 rounds fire chalk ammo never heard of it small arms though

RyanM
January 8, 2008, 10:47 AM
Sounds like typical TV misinformation. Simunitions use colored wax, including blue. That may have been it instead. For a semi-auto, you need a whole new top end.

http://www.simunition.com/cartridges/fx_training_en.php

kd7nqb
January 8, 2008, 10:56 AM
alright I am familiar with simunition wonder if thats what this was. Last time I had seen simunition weapons the slides where bright blue so you KNEW that you had simunition.

leadcounsel
January 8, 2008, 12:12 PM
In my MOUT training (similar to that at Ft. Knox) at Ft. Benning, we used what appeared to be the same gear. The casings were 9mm and they were small paint cartridges, shot with enough power to break the skin.

The M203 and the Mk 19, which I've also fired, fire a chalky power shell which explodes on impact to show where your shell would hit.

BTW, that MOUT at Ft. Knox is awesome, and better than the one at Ft. Benning - although Ft. Benning was still decent.

CWL
January 8, 2008, 05:20 PM
FYI simmunitions uses colored detergent, not wax or paint. This makes hits visible but which can be immediately laundered without any extra effort.

I know, I've been hit with enough of it.

Fergo_the_mule
January 9, 2008, 09:09 PM
they do exist my buddy in the marines gave me some for a 9mm and i shot them at a tree in my backyard

If you enjoyed reading about "Chalk Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!