AAAARRGGGHHHH! Oh, how I hate CCI primers.

PDA

TexasSkyhawk
January 8, 2008, 02:51 PM
It's been YEARS since I tried reloading with CCI small pistol primers.

Damned GOOD years, I might add.

Sat down this morning to load up some new 9mm FMJ configurations and didn't feel like walking back into the house to open up the safe to get the Winchester primers I prefer and use almost exclusively. Just happened to have a couple of trays of CCIs.

And sure as hell, just like always, they were a pain in the youknowwhere to get into the primer pockets. Out of a hundred, over HALF bent or crimped going in--this is on both a progressive press, and a hand-primer.

Yes, the primer pockets were cleaned--I'm experiementing with some new loads, so my case preparation was dead-on exquisite.

Switched to Winchesters and guess what? ZERO problems. Not one wasted, bent or crimped primer.

Into the trash the CCIs went.

I looked over my reloading notes that I've kept since the day I started reloading and saw where during my IPSC and silouhette shooting days, I had more misfires with CCI primers than with Winchester or Remington combined times ten.

Walked back in the house, unlocked the Browning, took every last stinking CCI primer and chunked them in the trash. Good riddance.

Your experiences may vary, but my experiences with CCI have just been flat miserable. I have zero confidence in them anymore--and that isn't good when you reload.

CCI's are in the trash, I got some new loads to test out, and I've vented.

Ahhhh. Feel much better.

Jeff

If you enjoyed reading about "AAAARRGGGHHHH! Oh, how I hate CCI primers." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hsiddall
January 8, 2008, 02:54 PM
UH OH! I just got 1k of CCI large pistol primers on APS strips from Graf's. Hope I have better luck, and sorry for your PIA:eek:...

PTK
January 8, 2008, 02:56 PM
I've had best luck with CCI primers of all flavors over other brands. Do you chamfer the primer pocket slightly?

rcmodel
January 8, 2008, 03:00 PM
CCI & Winchester is about all I use anymore. Like for 20 years or more.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with CCI fitting any tighter then any other brand.

What I have had is sloppy Lee hand-primer tool & other sloppy press shell holders letting the case tip out of alingment so the primer tries to seat crooked. I use nothing but an RCBS hand-priming tool now. Gave up on press priming years ago for the reason you gave.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

R.W.Dale
January 8, 2008, 03:01 PM
My experiance with CCI's mirrors yours.

cpaspr
January 8, 2008, 03:22 PM
I have to guess that you either have managed to get some bad lots, or that there is some minute way that your particular equipment just doesn't like the CCIs. I haven't had any problems with any single brand of primer over several years time, though the quantity I have loaded probably isn't anywhere near as many as you apparently have, since I'm still using single stage presses.

spencerhut
January 8, 2008, 03:30 PM
Anyone with pesky CCI primers can send them to me. I'll "dispose" of them for you at no charge.

The only problem I have with CCI primers is paying for them. But I seem to have that problem with all my reloading supplies . . .

SlamFire1
January 8, 2008, 04:05 PM
Man, I would have taken your primers!

Twenty years ago I remember how hard it was to seat CCI large pistol primers. I was priming pistol ammunition by hand. Now, I load pistol ammunition on my Dillion 550B and don't have any problems with any brand.

And I have loaded sheaves of CCI large pistol primers. I was given 5000 of double diamond boxed CCI LP which date back to the 60's, loaded them up, and they worked fine. I load whatever is the lowest cost stuff. In the past that was WLR.

For rifle, I hand seat each and every primer and inspect to ensure they are below the case head. Just last night I was seating CCI#34's with a Lee priming tool in LC 90 brass. No problems at all. I have loaded thousands of CCI#41 in .223 brass, never had a problem.

I don't know why I had problems 20 years ago with CCI primers but are not having them now. And I don't know why you had problems either.

Urbana John
January 8, 2008, 04:44 PM
CCI primers are THE ONLY PRIMERS I use!!!

Been loading for over 30 years, and the only times I've had a problem was because of me.

I use the RCBS hand primer tool, and the CCI primer trays are easier to use.

<SLV>
January 8, 2008, 05:04 PM
I'd like to be there when your trash truck compresses your garbage! :what:

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
January 8, 2008, 05:15 PM
All sizes for various cartridges.

I've also been reloading for some 25 years and never have trouble with any primer. I use Lee hand primer to get the job done. I've used my Dillon press and my RCBS press to install primers without issue too.

Any of them. Rem, Win, Fed, CCI. They all work. I have never ever had one CCI primer misfire. NEVER! I have had one or two Fed BR primers fail though.

I'm sorry to here this Jeff. What are you using for equipment?

-Steve

FieroCDSP
January 8, 2008, 05:39 PM
While I've had flipped primers on my Loadmaster, and had to uniform pockets on some brass so they seat below flush, I've never had a problem with CCI primers, neither loading nor igniting. I would have taken those primers off of ya, I'd have even paid for shipping. :D

Crimp
January 8, 2008, 06:19 PM
I've used CCI primers exclusively for years and never had a seating problem in any caliber, and better yet, never had one fail to go boom.

redneck2
January 8, 2008, 06:27 PM
The two problems I had with CCI were hard seating (as described) and hard to ignite (as described). Perhaps it's the brand of brass for the seating problems. As for failure to ignite, I've got a Contender with a very light trigger. I suspect your competition guns also have light strikes.

I use Winchester for LP and Federal for rifle.

Deavis
January 8, 2008, 07:43 PM
I'd like to be there when your trash truck compresses your garbage!

Why is that? So you can be disappointed when absolutely nothing of interest occurs? Go take a primer and try to set it off outside of the case, you'll find it is more difficult that you think and hardly rewarding.

CCIs were always a tight fit for me until the brass had been shot 2-3 times, then they became easier to seat but never as easy feeling as other primers like Fed or Win. CCI along with mil or S&B brass in 9mm is a sure recipe for me to set off a primer while loading.

The Bushmaster
January 9, 2008, 12:04 AM
O K...Maybe some day I'll have a problem with CCI primers, but until then send me all your CCI primers...I'll fight them into the primer pockets and do all the swearing for you...

TexasSkyhawk
January 9, 2008, 01:55 AM
I load my small pistol ammo primarily on a Lee Pro1000 that I've used ever since I began reloading over two decades ago. Have loaded tens of thousands of 9mm and .38 spcl on this press. Going through my notes, only problems I've ever had have been with CCI primers. Zero problems with Winchester or Federal. Have used Remington primers in the past and am lukewarm on them. Winchester is my brand.

Tried priming with my Lee hand-priming tool, which again, only time I've ever cussed it was when trying to load CCI's. Finally went over to the Dillon 550, and that's when I really started bending and crushing the primers.

Even switched to a different tray from a different box that was purchased years earlier. (I date my powder and primers as soon as I get them unpacked or home from the store.) Same problem.

Separate the brass into little piles of WCC, RP, PMC and even some nickel Federal. No change on ANY of the presses. The damn thing bent and crushed on all brands of brass.

I pulled out my rifle reloading logs and found where I had similar problems getting CCI primers to seat. Looking through my shooting logs, I didn't find any misfires with CCI primers on any of my long guns, but scores upon scores with every single handgun I load for.

Not all my handguns are competition or have had trigger work. The 686 has, and I did some smoothing work on my 2 1/2" Model 19 when I went to the S&W armorer's school way back when. But my factory trigger, out of the box Model 29 has failed to fire numerous times with the CCI's, as has our Taurus 85 (which also has had zero trigger work done) and my wife's airweight Model 38. The Series 70 1911 Goldcup has the most, followed by the Taurus 92 and then--get this--the Glock 17.

In going through my logs this evening for the past twenty-some odd years, I only noted four failure-to-fire with Winchester or Federal primers--and all four were on the 686 after I had significantly lightened the trigger and hammer action--which I promptly corrected.

So there's a buttload of various CCI primers awaiting my six 'o clock a.m. garbage truck pickup. It's just not worth the hassle when I've had no problems with any other primer brand in over two decades of reloading.

For those of you who love CCI and have great luck with them, all the best and I'm truly happy and a bit envious. Maybe I'm just snakebit on the things. And for all those who have PM'd me and shared THEIR painful, smilar experiences, I feel your pain.

Jeff, the Winchester primer man for now and forever. Amen.

donttellthewife
January 9, 2008, 02:16 AM
TexasSkyhawk

You, being in Texas, a firearms enthusiast, a reloader, and a member of this site should be honor bound get out to that garbage can fish'em out and give'em to some one who can use'em :)

Marlin 45 carbine
January 9, 2008, 03:45 PM
I had 3 CCI large rifle primers out of a tray of 100 FTFire. no other problems but I prefer Win for pistol.

SlamFire1
January 9, 2008, 05:09 PM
I figured it out. Jeff is in Texas. It gets hot there, sometimes over 100 degrees. And the primers must have expanded due to the heat. :D

If anyone can create a better explanation please do so, because the next step is to invoke the supernatural.

You know, Ghosts, and Gremlins. Darn Gremlins are everywhere.:evil:

Steve Koski
January 9, 2008, 06:15 PM
Huh, I've used probably 30K of CCI primers. Work great for me!

Of course, I'm using a Dillon press.

KI.W.
January 9, 2008, 06:30 PM
Mr S. Koski (in English it is better "waterfall") .Now I was seeing Yours mail in October. My Grandpapa also with boat to Utah and was working in a main. Mayby they was in the same main and was familiars. When he pass away, the family back to Finland. My father was then about (1920 ) 10years old. Birth place was Telluride Colorado. Sorry, I canīt write or speak English. Kauko.

I have LEE- and RCBS equipments, but no problems at all.

Luggernut
January 9, 2008, 06:33 PM
I find it perplexing that everyone sees so many different things. Here's my perspective. I won't use CCI primers (problems with large primers in .45ACP seating well) and I HATE CCI brass! The brass has no chamfer at all and causes issues in my progressive press. Since I use a progressive press I don't have the time (or patience) to chamfer the pockets. R&P brass on the other hand has a HUGE chamfer and seats the primers like a gem.

Cosmoline
January 9, 2008, 06:50 PM
I love CCI primers over all the others. I've never had a problem with them.

dwave
January 9, 2008, 06:56 PM
I use CCI primers. Benchrest Large Rifle primers, and 500 Small Mag. Pistol, no problems here, ever. Brass is Winchester for the rifles and PMC for the Pistol.

Steve Koski
January 9, 2008, 07:16 PM
KIW - My great grandfather was a coal miner in Scofield Utah around 1900.

Good to hear from you!

DMZ
January 9, 2008, 07:26 PM
CCI primers are THE ONLY PRIMERS I use!!!

Been loading for over 30 years, and the only times I've had a problem was because of me.

I use the RCBS hand primer tool, and the CCI primer trays are easier to use. Urbana John

I with you. I occasionally use Winchester primers when I can't get CCI. I too have loaded for over 30 years, in fact I just finished up a batch of 400 mixed brass 9mm with CCI 500's using my old Lee Auto Prime. No problemo. :D

Down South
January 9, 2008, 07:49 PM
I have no problems with CCI primers. I just finished off 1000 a few days ago and started on another 200 from another carton. I use a hand primer and my Dillon 550 B with no problems.

CZ57
January 9, 2008, 08:28 PM
I must be doing something really wrong. I have never had issues with CCI primers and like some of you guys, Winchesters are used for back-up. About the toughest task I've ever encountered was AutoPriming CCI-500s into tighter S&B primer pockets in 9mm. A problem I happen to like!;)

XD-40 Shooter
January 9, 2008, 09:08 PM
I've been using CCI primers since I started loading 2 years ago, now close to 10,000 rounds, never had a problem. I use Winchester when I can't find CCI, but I prefer CCI.:D

<SLV>
January 9, 2008, 09:23 PM
Why is that? So you can be disappointed when absolutely nothing of interest occurs? Go take a primer and try to set it off outside of the case, you'll find it is more difficult that you think and hardly rewarding.

Uhhh... sure... I guess so. :uhoh:

langenc
January 9, 2008, 10:13 PM
3.75 or more a hundred around here

The Bushmaster
January 9, 2008, 11:12 PM
KI.W. You did O K. Understood everything you said. Keep it comin'...

jenrob
January 10, 2008, 12:46 AM
I haven't had any problems with CCI primers but loaded up some 9MM for a friend that had a Hi-Point. Key word had. It would misfire about 1 out of 5 could have solved it by putting an extra power firepin spring but went with win primers and went to about 1 out of 50. I use more win primers but if somebody is giving these away I'll takem

TexasSkyhawk
January 10, 2008, 02:09 AM
I figured it out. Jeff is in Texas. It gets hot there, sometimes over 100 degrees. And the primers must have expanded due to the heat.

If anyone can create a better explanation please do so, because the next step is to invoke the supernatural.

You know, Ghosts, and Gremlins. Darn Gremlins are everywhere.

Ha HA! You may have something there. But lately, it's been cold here. It only got up to around 64 or so yesterday and I almost had to resort to long sleeves.

Maybe those primers got hot during the summer and expanded on me.

But how come the brass and primer holes didn't expand also?

No, I think you're right--Gremlins has to be the answer. Has to. No other explanation.

Huh, I've used probably 30K of CCI primers. Work great for me!

Of course, I'm using a Dillon press.

See, that's what's so odd. Same problem in the Lee progressive, the hand primer AND the Dillon 550. Three distinctly different presses/priming tools and methods, but with the same result regardless of brass brand (although I did learn long ago to chunk any CCI brass for reasons mentioned previously).

Yet zero problems with Winchester or Federal primers in ANY of the above three presses.

Beats the youknowwhat outa me . . .

Jeff

CZ57
January 10, 2008, 02:27 AM
Beautiful and 66 at the range on Wednesday, here in the big city of Brownwood, but now we're braggin'!;)

ArchAngelCD
January 10, 2008, 03:16 AM
I don't do anything to the primer pockets and I've had no problems at all with CCI SP primers in .38 Special or 9mm cases. I do like Winchester primers better but when I couldn't get them about 5 months ago I bought 5k of the CCI primers. I have used at least 3k already and not one problem. I've used about 500 CCI SPM primers over this time too without a problem. I'm also using all kinds of Brass including Federal, Winchester, Rem, I and several others.

If you enjoyed reading about "AAAARRGGGHHHH! Oh, how I hate CCI primers." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!