Do we really need all these guns?

PDA

Okiecruffler
January 10, 2003, 09:09 PM
I just had the pleasure of spending the day with my oldest friend. Actually he's my friend by default, he and my grandfather shared a bunker in Europe back in the 40's. Apparently there was some kind of unpleasentness going on. So anyhow, over lunch I'm telling him about my 10/22 project and my new VZ24 and how I'm torn over what my next purchase will be. All the time he's just a grinning at me. Finally he says, "Son, what you need all them guns for?" You see, Bill only owns one gun, a Remington 870. He hunts quail, rabbit, and duck with 28'' barrel with choke tubes. For deer season, he has the rifled slug barrel. And for sitting behind his bedroom door, he has the original barrel that didn't have choke tubes. He cut it back to what he says is 18'', and I'm not going to be the one who measures it. Granted, he hunts deer in southeast oklahoma and has no desire to go after elk and the like. He did add a red dot of some type 2 seasons ago to make up for his 82 year old eyes, but that's as complex as he gets. So, what's my answer to ,"Son, what you need all them guns for?"

If you enjoyed reading about "Do we really need all these guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spacemanspiff
January 10, 2003, 09:14 PM
a persons Hobby has nothing to do with Needs, just Wants.

FPrice
January 10, 2003, 09:19 PM
spacemanspiff (I love that name - really miss C and H!) has it right. It's what you want...as long as it is legal and all that.

But if he insists on an answer, "I need all these guns to satisfy my desire to tinker and practise the various disciplines that make up shooting and my participation therein."

perry
January 10, 2003, 09:20 PM
To shoot!!:D

PlayTheAces
January 10, 2003, 09:23 PM
Funny, my wife keeps asking me the same question. So far I haven't come up with a viable answer, other than I need to keep something in the safe.

2nd Amendment
January 10, 2003, 09:31 PM
I need more! :D

Lennyjoe
January 10, 2003, 09:37 PM
Sure do. Variety is the spice of life:D

triggertime
January 10, 2003, 09:46 PM
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

10-Ring
January 10, 2003, 09:47 PM
Hey, I never told my ex-mother in law she had too many of those souvenir spoons, or college roommate he had too many stamps in his collection, or my son he has too many Pez dispensers, or a guy at work he has too much Green Bay Packer stuff. Dammit, it's a collection. Own as much as you can afford!

redneck
January 11, 2003, 12:20 AM
Because they don't make an 870 that accepts a .22LR barrel and a .223 barrel and an '06 barrel and a .357 barrel, and a 50BMG barrel.....
An even though changing barrels may be fun to those of us who really have it bad, its not as fun as shooting. :)

PATH
January 11, 2003, 12:29 AM
Some people collect antiques. Some folks collects wines. Some folks collect stamps, coins, or other such things.

I collect the instruments that have shaped the course of history over the last 600 or so years. They are works of art and bring priceless pleasure to the heart and the soul.

The gun has raised and destroyed empires. It has brought about the rise of modern manufacturing. It can provide food and protection. A beautiful one has the ability to make most men drool over it.

I need guns like flowers need the sun and the rain. I need guns like I need air to breathe. I must always have more of a wonderful thing.

Does that sorta answer your question?

beemerb
January 11, 2003, 12:30 AM
They are good investment.Corse that is only if you sell them which we will not do.But its sounds good!
Bob

Tamara
January 11, 2003, 12:34 AM
A blast from the past... (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35977) :D

sm
January 11, 2003, 12:35 AM
I can interpret what he is saying, I mean at his age things a bit differrent. You didn't buy until you had the money. No credit card, rarely did "credit" , unless the 'store in town' and they were paid off at the end of the month, when the harvest complete, or barter.

Made do, did without, saved until could--folks his era did more with less.

Do we really need all these guns? We can rationalize anything today.

No we really don't, except the tools needed for a specific task. One each of a
CCW, Shotgun ,rifle--could perform multiple duties. We buy because we want, and can. when times get tough, we keep the needs and sell off the wants.

Redlg155
January 11, 2003, 12:37 AM
You also only really need two pair of underwear. One to wash and one to wear.

It just makes it very convenient to have extra.

Good SHooting
RED

4v50 Gary
January 11, 2003, 12:37 AM
It's never about need. It's about want and helping support our wildlife by spending on sporting goods.

Bostonterrier97
January 11, 2003, 12:51 AM
When I started buying Firearms. I made the Assumption that eventually and inevitably they would be outlawed. Having studied the Holocaust and met with Survivors and Survivors of Stalinist Russia. I thought about what would happen to my descendents if there was only ONE gun in the Family and people were being butchered like the Jews were.

So..you could say..I bought more than ONE... :D
They are not for me..but for my Grandchildren and their Grandchildren...maybe they would be a obsolete in the future..but they will still be just as deadly.

sixgun_symphony
January 11, 2003, 01:00 AM
A shotgun will do for hunting and home defense. But it is not something you can use for concealed carry about town. Nor is it good for long range shooting.

Basic kit: Rifle, Shotgun, & handgun

denfoote
January 11, 2003, 01:03 AM
Just as there's no such thing as to much fun, there's no such thing as owning just one gun!!! :D ;)

bobw
January 11, 2003, 01:09 AM
I figure it's good to have at least 2 (or 3) firearms for any caliber ammo you stock. That way, if one breaks the ammo won't go to waste.

PATH
January 11, 2003, 01:10 AM
Tamara,

That blast from the past says it all. I especially lik eht elast on...because it really does annoy Clinton(although this time around it is Hillary)

Sodbuster
January 11, 2003, 01:14 AM
He cut it back to what he says is 18'', and I'm not going to be the one who measures it.
:D I say a feller ought to be able to do his own measuring.

a9mmfan
January 11, 2003, 01:26 AM
My response to "Why do you need ALL of those guns" is something like "Well I am just exercising my constitutional rights, and since you have chosen to give yours up, I am exercising yours for you as well." :D

Hkmp5sd
January 11, 2003, 01:30 AM
"Son, what you need all them guns for?"

Because I couldn't stuff my Howitzer collection in the safe and the bright glow of my various suitcase nukes was keeping me awake at night.

cratz2
January 11, 2003, 01:37 AM
Well, by my reckonin' there are a few more reasons to have a bunch than to not have enough. :p

Seriously, if I had to reduce my collection down to about 6, I could do it... Hold on - Dan Wesson 22, P32, Colt 1991A1, SA 1911A1, 700 Police in 223, Winchester Model 70 in 243, Winchester HBV in 308, 870 Wingmaster. Well, that's eight. That wouldn't be too bad. Let's just say I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

Dave R
January 11, 2003, 02:49 AM
An 870 is not an ideal Varmit gun. Nor is it ideal for CCW. Its not even that good for upland game--a SXS is better. And its a little expensive for Saturday afternoon plinking...etc. etc.

sm
January 11, 2003, 03:09 AM
...didn't say I adhered to those words.:D
Also edited a typo, one each of a CCW, shotgun , rifle.

We had the threads at TFL how many can you get by with.

Tamara : I can honestly say "before my time" , had not seen that thread. Thanks for the links. Funny ,some remind of you, especially #'s 12,14, and 15.;)

Mr Bill
January 11, 2003, 03:20 AM
Because one should have and use the appropriate tool for the job at hand.
Now what job shall we do next, deer, elk, moose, bear.....?;)

Kahr carrier
January 11, 2003, 08:19 AM
I would say ,BECAUSE I CAN.:neener:

Kharn
January 11, 2003, 08:32 AM
My safe only weighs about 100lbs (cheap Homak), if it wasnt stuffed full of guns and ammo somebody could just carry it down the stairs and out the door.

Kharn

ruger357
January 11, 2003, 08:35 AM
Why not?

hipower22
January 11, 2003, 09:05 AM
Well, I don't actually need them.

I just like having them around. :cool:

cz75bdneos22
January 11, 2003, 09:08 AM
like the guy in the autoweek segment says" do you need it? no, but do you want it? Yes!!! when referring to the exotic automobuiles he test drives for his weekly segment..:neener:

foghornl
January 11, 2003, 09:41 AM
"Do you REALLY NEED all those Precious Moments figurines, and the Hallmark Christmas ornaments? What about all those pairs of Sam & Libby shoes you have, Queen Imelda Marcos?"

ReadyontheRight
January 11, 2003, 10:40 AM
The Bill of Rights (http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall/charters_of_freedom/bill_of_rights/bill_of_rights.html)

Gives us 10 good reasons.

ReadyontheRight
January 11, 2003, 10:41 AM
In addition to the Bill of Rights and 23 reasons listed previously.

Here are ten more reasons to own “all those guns”:

10. Because I can
9. Guns wear out, don't they?
8. Because after the first few, my wife just calls them “all those guns”
7. Because it's only fair that each kid inherit a fair number of representative calibers after I'm gone
6. It's been said that some part of every woman's brain is always thinking about shoes ...I wonder if I'll need to put more grease and oil on my Garand to shoot in 10 degrees tomorrow...oh..where was I? Oh yeah...I think it's the same way with guys and guns
5. Because I can
4. Because so many SHTF scenarios - including invasion by space aliens and/or Janet Reno's Dance Party - involve arming my neighbors
3. Because John Moses Browning was a heck of an engineer
2. So was Gaston Glock, Dan Wesson, some other Wessons, some Smiths, a few Germans, a Russian, John Garand and a bunch of other folks
1. Because I can

Bainx
January 11, 2003, 12:27 PM
Answer: What do you need all of that freedom of speech for?

Mark Benningfield
January 11, 2003, 12:53 PM
Hello All.

I run into this a lot around here. Most of the people who ask this are absolutely unaware of the current political climate. It would never occur to them that someone would one day show up and say hand over your guns. They take their right to keep and bear arms completely for granted. I mean, they KNOW that it is their right, and the idea that someone would try to take it away from them is not even on their radar. So, I encounter a HUGE amount of apathy about it. I try and tell them about what's going on in the rest of the country, particularly in the PRK, but usually they respond with "oh, well, that could never happen in Oklahoma!" It is VERY FRUSTRATING sometimes. :cuss:

Jspy
January 11, 2003, 04:02 PM
Needs doesn't have anything at all to do with it. Variety is the spice of life after all. :)

sm
January 11, 2003, 04:16 PM
With a bunch, another one snuck in the pile is less likley to be noticed.;)

Dr.Rob
January 11, 2003, 04:31 PM
Well, its cheaper than collecting girlfriends.

dave
January 11, 2003, 10:23 PM
Easy question to answer.

Tell him you own "all those guns" so that his, and your, grandchildren have the means to protect themselves during the next "some kind of unpleasentness going on".

Nothing as sad as an "unfurnished" bunker.

Kentucky Rifle
January 12, 2003, 10:49 AM
There was a time when I couldn't even afford a box of .22 cartridges. Or good food, or a warm coat, or a parking sticker so I could park in the student lot. I had to park a mile away from U of L and walk to class. Now I'm 52, retired, and can buy a new gun anytime I want to. So, I do. I don't NEED some "politician" who has a FEDERAL carry license plus armed guards telling me I can't spend my own money any damn way I please.
'Scuse me. I was up all night. I feel a little "crotchety".:mad:

KR

If you enjoyed reading about "Do we really need all these guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!