.45 acp OK for hog protection?

PDA

waterhouse
January 10, 2008, 11:13 AM
Spent the past couple days quail hunting and at the advice of the land owner I carried a .357 in case of charging hogs as the party there before us had some issues with them. We ended up seeing some hogs but we left them alone and they returned the favor.

While I'm fairly good at shooting single action when I take my time, I realized that I'm not nearly good enough to draw a revolver and shoot double action quickly and accurately enough to do any good if something was running at me.

I've done some reading and know that .45 acp isn't ideal for hog hunting. With the right bullets, will it be sufficient to deal with a charging hog? If so, what are the right bullets? I'm not concerned with humanely killing the animal, just making sure that it doesn't make it to me.

I've got a lot more confidence in my ability to draw and hit with a 1911, but it seems as if I'm at the crossroads of "shot placement" and "use enough gun."

I guess if .45 won't do the trick this will be a good excuse to get a 10mm.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 acp OK for hog protection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TAB
January 10, 2008, 11:22 AM
If its legal to use in tx, I would say it could work, bigger would be better.

then again I've seen( as in looking thru the sights) 30-06 ball ammo fail to pentrait a pigs head at close range.( ran right underneath the skin, saw it happen to a guy shot with a 357 as well)

Geno
January 10, 2008, 11:31 AM
I used a 1911 in .45 ACP on my last hog hunt. It took three shots to drop it. I suggest a larger caliber. If the animal is angry enough to charge, the .45 ACP won't stop it in time. Step up to a .41 Mag or a .44 Mag. If you want to carry an autoloader, many guys swear by the Glock 20 (10mm).

redneck2
January 10, 2008, 11:31 AM
I guess when the hog is chewing on your leg, you'll be thinking "should have used more gun"

Since speed kills in this situation, you might want to do a $6 conversion to .45 Super. Look thru the archives on RealGuns.

Otherwise, I've got a LNIB Delta Elite and some unfired Star brass that I'd part with for the right price. Even throw in some 185 grain Speer Gold Dots. Stuff in about as much Blue Dot as will fit and you're good to go. If it were a choice between a .45 acp and 10mm, it's not a hard choice to make.

jmorris
January 10, 2008, 11:49 AM
I never had a problem with hogs charging me, although I’ve had a few cows charge when pined up. If you happen to get close enough to them to charge and you didn’t notice them in advance, I would be more worried on draw/first shot time than if the 45acp is up to the task.

skinewmexico
January 10, 2008, 12:13 PM
I can honestly say I've never seen a hog keep charging in the face of a shotgun. But then again, I've never seen one charge that I wasn't trying to kill either. I'd be willing to be on 8 rounds of 12 gauge though.

Double Naught Spy
January 10, 2008, 12:13 PM
I used a 1911 in .45 ACP on my last hog hunt. It took three shots to drop it. I suggest a larger caliber.

Wow Doc, y'all must be using that new reverse math where you are where smaller is larger? .45< .44< .41 LOL! Okay, the Glock 20 really is larger.

You meant "more powerful" or "bigger cartridge" ammo, yes?

A .45 acp will work, but it isn't ideal for the job, especially with a front-on shot than needs to penetrate the shield.

otcconan
January 10, 2008, 12:46 PM
When I go hog hunting, I carry a Ruger .44 magnum revolver. Ammo is interchangable with the lever-action .44 magnum rifle I shoot.

mbt2001
January 10, 2008, 01:19 PM
The most important thing to remember when bird hunting if charged by a hog, MAKE SURE WHAT IS IN YOUR BACKGROUND.

dirty dave
January 10, 2008, 01:44 PM
Turn your 45 auto into a 460 rowland with a converstion kit.As powerful as 44mag.Several places offer deals on it.

Myles
January 10, 2008, 03:19 PM
I've always used a .357, personally. Old model Blackhawk works dandy in scrub oak and saw palmetto in Florida. For defense, rather than hunting, you may wish to go double-action.

Oh, they don't chew on your leg, as said above. They will charge, butt you with their snout, forcefully, while trying to rip you a new one with their tusks whipping side to side. They can leave nasty scars.

Suprise rushes aside, I've always found the .357 is plenty enough medicine for them.

Geno
January 10, 2008, 06:30 PM
DNS:

That's was funny. Yeaup...that's what I meant. More powerful. :o

Doc2005

ldyates
January 10, 2008, 07:26 PM
Where I hunt in Texas you are lucky to get within 50 yards of a hog. As a general rule, they will bolt as soon as they see or smell you. The only charges I have witnessed were when we trapped or cornered a wounded pig. I highly doubt you will ever get charged for no reason at all.

I carry a Glock 20 (10MM) because it is a hot charge and I can carry plenty of 180gr bullets.

Harley Quinn
January 10, 2008, 09:07 PM
That 10mm is sounding pretty good to me. Numerous shots and a good powerful penetration round. With a Glock 9mm as backup with 18 shots at the ready:what:

:D:D

stevereno1
January 10, 2008, 09:22 PM
I once killed a hog with a .40 s&w. Took Two shots to bring down. He charged after the first shot (shoulder), the second shot struck him in the nose head on, and he dropped. I didn't really feel undergunned, I still go in the field with my g-27, with 180 gr. golden sabers, and do feel that it is adequate. So in short, yes I feel that a 1911 in .45 acp would be fine too.

ldyates
January 10, 2008, 10:26 PM
Just remember that these hogs have a thick hide around the shoulders that can wreak havoc on a slow bullet regardless of the weight. Velocity is critical with Feral hogs. Head shots are always your best option, but if all else fails..... 15 rounds of whatever you are packing will ultimately get the job done.

I have shot one with my .357 Sig using the heavier 147gr FMJ's. It took the same number of shots as the 10MM, so I truly believe that a large number of available rounds in any .355 or larger would be fine. Stick with something that will shoot 1100fps or higher.

If you want a Hollywood one shot drop .... use a rifle. Even then you may have to to track the beast unless your shot is clean.

351 WINCHESTER
January 10, 2008, 11:49 PM
Having used a .45acp as a b/u gun while hog hunting I have had a few close encounters with these beasts. I found the .45 lacking in stopping power, but in the 1911 which I prefer I think a 10mm would be much better.

oklahoma caveman
January 11, 2008, 02:05 AM
well i may get flammd for this and im sure somebody would have been expecting it, but i have killed 3 hogs up to 120lb with a 22lr. granted i had the time for proper shot placement but 2 of them did not run more than 10 ft. but to answer your question i feel the 45acp would work fine. fwiw i just ordered my first 1911 and when it gets in and i have had time to get used to it i plan on doing some private land hog hunting with it

possom813
January 11, 2008, 03:20 AM
I'm more of a hog hunter than anything else. And believe it or not, my usual hip gun is P89 "wondernine" loaded with 147gr JHP's. I've only had one charge, and 4 shots later he really wasn't into anymore and I had fresh bacon the next morning.

The old b/u was a GP100, but it's just too pretty to get dirty according to the wife.

I carry the 1911 on occasion, but haven't had a chance at a hog with it, but my hunting buddy carries a 1911 w/o fail and has taken coyote with it, 2 shot kill at about 30yds.

Another guy that I work with is a hog trapper and uses a .22 mag to kill them in the trap to prevent a lot of blood getting in the trap.

-John

campbell
January 11, 2008, 03:32 AM
MAKE SURE WHAT IS IN YOUR BACKGROUND.

Reminds me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75O2lKRHW30

Ranger J
January 11, 2008, 01:06 PM
Having seen what a load of birdshot can do to 1" boards up close I would feel much more confident in stopping a pig up close with my shotgun than trying to draw and shoot a gun that I didn't already have in my hand. Plus I am a lousy shot with a pistol.

RJ

dwschoon
January 11, 2008, 01:28 PM
Bird shot doesn't penetrate well enough to be dependable.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot22.htm

Ranger J
January 11, 2008, 05:07 PM
Sorry but I had an uncle (black sheep of family) drop a good size deer at about 30 ft. with a light load of #6s. I had someone sneak into the back part my land and build a deerstand out of 2X4s and 1 inch boards and I blew large holes in it with light loads of bird shot in a 20ga. Big chunks of wood flew out. At close range any load is devistating before it starts to spread out the shot acts almost like a solid object. Try it some time on some old boards at about ten feet or so .I'm talking about close range if nothing else it would blind the hog by putting it's eyes out. I would rather count on a shotgun. If the thought of hogs bothered me that much I would have a rifled slug in my gun somewhere. Just my druthers.

RJ

S&Wfan
January 11, 2008, 08:49 PM
You can down a hog with just about any firearm from .22LR on up . . . as long as the bullet hits one of the right places. However . . .

A baseball bat will work great too, in the case of a charging hog. Just swing for the head!

It sure does a better job than a hot-loaded .44mag bullet . . . that misses, and you don't have to reload . . . nor worry about shooting your hunting buddy or dog!

T.

Harley Quinn
January 11, 2008, 10:07 PM
S&Wfan, Yea that bat is handy must be why so many gangbangers swing them. Hogs charging are vicious, not real keen eye sight though. Might be why they run around bushes and over people. :what:

stevereno1
January 11, 2008, 10:59 PM
I bet a load of #6 shot to the face of a charging hog will change it's whole outlook on a situation

sammoh
January 12, 2008, 05:52 AM
Forget drawing the old 1911. Stick a boar spear (http://www.coldsteel.com/spears-high-performance-spears.html) in front of it and run it through. Its how they did it for centuries and if I'm not mistaken, still do in some parts of Europe.

Besides, it'll show just what your cahones are made of... "Well, I took it with a spear!" lol

Sam

hank327
January 13, 2008, 01:52 AM
As you experienced, if you leave the hogs alone, they will leave you alone. No need to carry a handgun for hog protection. Believe me, they won't come looking for trouble.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 acp OK for hog protection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!