One handed knife, possibly Parker?

PDA

feedthehogs
January 10, 2008, 10:06 PM
A friend who lived in Orlando in the early 80's used to go to the gun and knife show there and mentioned a knife he liked with Parker on the blade and it was advertised as one handed.

He's looking to find another. Anybody got a clue to what he's talking about?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "One handed knife, possibly Parker?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Joe Demko
January 10, 2008, 11:08 PM
Parker was an importer from Tennessee. He and Frost (who is still in business) were partners at one time. The majority of his products were Japanese imports of middling to low quality. Parker knives turn up on Ebay pretty frequently and never sell for very much as they don't command too much interest from collectors. I also see a fair number of them at flea markets. If your buddy scouts those locations for one, he might find one without too much trouble. I, personally, wouldn't bother but his MMV.

Pax Jordana
January 10, 2008, 11:29 PM
one handed knife.

i.e. the adaptive technology? (http://www.child-amputee.net/Lots%20of%20Info%20Documents/onehandknives/onehandknives.htm)

Because if all he wants is a one-handed opener, I'm sure that there are knives just as pretty as the ones he saw.

feedthehogs
January 11, 2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks Joe.

I never saw his knife so i don't know what it looks like or what the quality was.
He's a bit of an odd duck and likes things that most people would turn their nose at. But he also take those items, reworks them and makes them into something better.

Pax,
I tried to quiz him more, but we're communicating 1200 miles apart. Even in person my buddy Bob talks in circles sometimes. While listening you sorta look like a dog listening to a high pitch wistle.
Not really sure what he means by a one handed knife.

hso
January 11, 2008, 11:00 AM
Without more information we're not likely to be able to help.

Joe Demko
January 11, 2008, 11:00 AM
I think I knnow what he wants. I'm at work so I can't link to a picture but I'll try to describe it. One-hand knives were produced by American and European makers in quantity in the 19th and early 20th centuries (because of Civil War and WWI amputees?). The blade looks kind of like a straight razor blade with a little bit of a hook at the tip. To open it, one catches the hook on the edge of a pocket. Sometimes there is an additional conventional pen blade. Case, I think, and Queen still produce knives like this.
A hefty part of Parker's product line was Japanese copies, often of indifferent quality, of older American and European designs. Parker had more than a few variations on the one-hand knife over the years. I'm betting that your friend wants one of them.
He'd be better served to find one from Case, Queen, or other first line maker. Parker's products were made out of what was only identified as "surgical steel" and wouldn't take or hold an edge worth a crap IME.

Joe Demko
January 11, 2008, 06:58 PM
Here's (http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/queen/images/qn19co1.jpg)one from Queen with a turkish clip second blade. Given the time frame during which your buddy saw the Parker one-hand knife, I'm pretty sure it was probably one of this basic pattern.

Pax Jordana
January 12, 2008, 02:07 AM
Joe, that is actually way cool.

Who was it that first said, everything old is new again?

If sm comes around this thread, I'm also eager to see a knife with the handles ground away so you can pinch the blade out..

If you enjoyed reading about "One handed knife, possibly Parker?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!