G2 Led???

PDA

md7
January 11, 2008, 11:34 AM
my brother and i both work with the local fire department. we have issued lights that really suck. they aren't bright, they don't focus very well, and just suck. i have 2 surefire g2 lights, and love em. but there are times when i need a light that is bright, but that has better than a 1 hour runtime.

what i'm saying is, most LED's i have seen are bright, but they don't light things up from very far out. will the G2 LED throw a beam similar to the regular G2? and does it really have alot longer run time?

If you enjoyed reading about "G2 Led???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
January 11, 2008, 01:30 PM
The G2 LED is an 80 lumen flashlight. The 100 lumen head all by itself for the P6 is twice the price.

md7
January 11, 2008, 02:22 PM
yeah, the 80 lumens was something that got my attention, but what i am curious to know is, will the 80 lumen LED cast a beam similar to an incandescent light ?

I have 2 LED flashlights and they are bright, but they seem to only light up a few feet in front of me.

My G2 incandescents are like shooting daylight out of cannon. they light up rooms very well.

Jason_G
January 11, 2008, 02:29 PM
Most of the LED's don't have as much throw to them as the incandescents in my experience. Maybe someone can post something more specific though.

Jason

Jimmie
January 11, 2008, 02:32 PM
I've got both - I'll take a picture tonight when it gets dark. The LED throw is still respectable, albeit less than the incandescent. I think you'd be well served with the LED and yes, it does run noticeably longer.

md7
January 11, 2008, 02:41 PM
jimmie, that would be great. thank you in advance for the pics.

and thank you hso and jason g for the info.

highorder
January 11, 2008, 03:17 PM
LED's dont cut thru smoke.

you want one of the many fine incan Pelican lights for firefighting. they make lights just for you.

Vermonter
January 11, 2008, 04:19 PM
Put one of these in your G2. MUCH brighter than the SF G2L
http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html

The tint of the premium modules will be much better than most LEDs that you've seen in the past.

hso
January 11, 2008, 09:43 PM
Standard G2 SPECIFICATIONS

Max Output: 65/120* lumens
*With optional ultra high-output lamp
Runtime: 60/20* minutes
*With optional ultra high-output lamp
Length: 5.10 inches
Weight: 4.10 ounces
Battery: Two 123A lithiums

G2 LED SPECIFICATIONS

Max Output: 80 lumens
Runtime: 12 hours
Length: 5.14 inches
Weight: 4.10 ounces
Battery: Two 123A lithiums

CREE Q5 LED dropin head

SPECS:
Approx. 230 Lumen
Cree Q5 LED Driven at 950mAH
3+ Hours Total Runtime
Regulated
Input Voltage: 4.5V - 9V
Shock/Recoil Proof
10,000 Hour LED Life
Aluminum Reflector
Brass Heat Sink

Jimmie
January 12, 2008, 12:02 AM
Ok.... here's the pics. I made sure to use the exact same camera settings (aperature/shutter speed) and they're not photoshopped at all. The blueish tint one is the LED. The yellow is of course the Inc with the P61 (120 lumens) lamp. That bulb, though, cuts your run time to 20 minutes.

The fence post I aimed at is 15 paces away - I figured that'd be a good distance if you plan to use the light in homes/structures.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2069/g2leddj4.jpg (http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4460/g2ledqc4.jpg)

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3008/g2incxu0.jpg (http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1839/g2inchm7.jpg)

My in-laws gave me the incandescent a year or two ago. I asked for the LED this Christmas because I think it's a better everyday light. I keep the inc for certain tasks, but reach for the LED more often because those 123s are expensive! Unless you really need outrageous throw, I think the LED's your best bet.

highorder
January 12, 2008, 12:33 AM
in addition to choosing an incan or LED, you really should be running any high output light on rechargeable Li-ions. that way you can forget about expensive 123a's

cdcmj
January 12, 2008, 08:12 PM
Ive got the G2 LED and its great. Has respectable throw, great runtime, and will blind anyone-All in the small G2 package.

Has anybody used the CREE Q5 LED drop in?? Is it worth it? Any Pics? Does it really put out 230 lumens for 3 hours? Thanks!

copaup
January 13, 2008, 02:41 AM
Just got one a month back or so. AWESOME light. It retired the older 6p that was on my belt. The extended battery life is amazing and I'm suprised just how much throw that this thing has. Amazing how much the LED technology (and flashlights in general) have improved in the last few years.

cdcmj
January 13, 2008, 03:41 AM
what about the CREE Q5 LED

litework
January 14, 2008, 07:34 AM
what about the CREE Q5 LED

I'm not sure if you're looking for a particular brand...I have a Malkoff M60 Cree Q5. It is extrememly bright (235 lumens w/ 1.5 hr run time-according to website). It doesn't quite have the throw of my similarly sized Fenix T1, but it is noticeably brighter. This is one of my better investments. I haven't run it for a lengthy period of time, but it would be much better suited in the G2L with its aluminum bezel. I actually put mine in a 6PD.

md7
January 14, 2008, 10:15 AM
thank you all for the replies. sounds like the g2 led comes pretty close to fitting the bill. the only thing that worries me is what highorder said about led's not cutting as well through smoke as incandesent lights.

i am going to order a g2 led lamp assembly and put into one of my regular g2 lights. if that doesn't cut it, i will probably order the rechargeable kits and use it in my regular g2.

thanks for the replies.

woolfam
January 14, 2008, 11:12 AM
PM sent.

DAVIDSDIVAD
January 14, 2008, 04:33 PM
I just bought one of the cree LEDs off of Ebay.

I dropped it in, and it is much brighter than the stock G2.

I've gone running with it about 7 times already, and no problems after dropping it a bunch of times(accidentally.)

I was very pleased with the CREE LED.

If you enjoyed reading about "G2 Led???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!