Brass storage?

PDA

thor745
January 11, 2008, 05:17 PM
I am a new reloader, and only reload for 45ACP at this time. Over the years I had accumulated a large amount of once fired brass with the intention of reloading in the future. The brass was stored in sealed buckets and was placed in my shed. It has probably been out there for four years. Is there any concern with the freezing temperatures or excessive heat damaging the brass? Would you personally load it after cleaning it in a tumbler?

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass storage?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mark whiz
January 11, 2008, 05:24 PM
Unless any of that brass was excessively nasty in the 1st place - you should be perfectly fine reloading with that brass. Unless the temps inside your shed went WAY below zero or up around 200, I wouldn't worry.

I stored the brass from my factory loads for several years before I started reloading and never had any issues with it.

10X
January 11, 2008, 05:39 PM
Nothing to worry about.
Any comments you read about storage in a shed or garage and exposure to summer and winter temp are concerns about the primers or powder.
The brass won't be affected.
Since you had them in sealed containers there is no concern about moisture damage. Sounds like you did well.

rcmodel
January 11, 2008, 07:01 PM
Loaded military ammo is stored outdoors in unheated ammo bunkers the world over with no ill effect.

Empty brass should be bullet-proof outdoors in any temperature, forever, as long as it doesn't get wet and corrode.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

ReloaderFred
January 11, 2008, 07:03 PM
The only problem you may have would be obvious. If moisture got onto the brass and caused severe corrosion, you would see dark "warts" on it that won't wipe off. This type of corrosion goes through the brass and weakens it to the point it's not reloadable. You can avoid this in most cases by not storing brass directly in contact with concrete.

Just check the brass and see what it looks like. If it looks good, then load it. If there is deep corrosion, then scrap it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ArchAngelCD
January 12, 2008, 03:06 AM
The others have covered anything I would have said. Don't worry, load it up and have a good time.

bl4ckd0g
January 13, 2008, 12:38 PM
I've loaded and fired Winchester, Lake City, and RWS brass from the 60's and 70's with no ill effects. Dirty scrounged range brass cleans up rather well and I've rarely thrown away a .45 case. I've maybe had three or four (out of 1200 pickups) that split when in my expander die.

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass storage?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!