Guns and Animal pictures

PDA

crowsnest2002
January 10, 2003, 08:40 PM
Hey you guys, you know what I dont see on here that often???? Pictures of Guns and the trophy as well so here I will contribute....
Here's a Rem. Mdl 7 in 6mm with custom buffalo sticks ;). The 15lb in the stones means both groundhogs weighed 15lbs.

http://www.picturefuse.com/images/0103/13987.jpeg

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns and Animal pictures" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
January 10, 2003, 09:07 PM
Seeing those groundhogs posed in that fashion reminds me of the world's most viscious animal, the armadillo. I see a lot of them along highways like that, just waiting to grab a car.

What sort of distances were you shooting?

Art

crowsnest2002
January 10, 2003, 09:13 PM
Well the distances werent far but the one I shot 150yrds and the other 100yrds.. You have any good Gun/Game pictures Art or anyone else, Id like to see a few :) . I'm hoping to get some more good old groundhogs this summer.. One of our local gun stores run a contest who can get the biggest/smallest groundhog, which they give prizes away and such. The turn out is very good the way I hear. I think I'm going to sign up for the contest this year ;) especially since I got my Rem 700vls 22-250.

Art Eatman
January 10, 2003, 09:38 PM
If we're gonna do ruint aminals, I'm gonna move this over to the Hunting forum.

And include a picture of my bobcat...One shot, 12-gauge, high brass 7-1/2s, 25 yards from my back door.

:), Art

MitchSchaft
January 12, 2003, 01:09 PM
:D

MitchSchaft
January 12, 2003, 01:11 PM
:neener:

crowsnest2002
January 15, 2003, 07:41 PM
I was kind of going for "hunted game pictures", but those work. Thanks for the reply. :)

thumbtack
January 18, 2003, 08:29 PM
Art,

That is an awful skinny bobcat you got there or had you all ready skinned it and you're just showing off the pelt.

MarineTech
January 18, 2003, 10:29 PM
Wow Mitch, I would never have thought that the revolver in the second picture would have accepted that magazine. Must have to cram those rounds in pretty tight. ;) :D

MitchSchaft
January 19, 2003, 03:04 AM
I guess you didn't see the first picture :neener:

Mossy Bloke
January 19, 2003, 02:20 PM
9 pointer shot with her Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter. Something like 15 yards. First deer ever.

Art Eatman
January 19, 2003, 02:37 PM
thumbtack, desert critters are rarely fat. :)

Art

Grayrock
January 23, 2003, 01:30 AM
Your basic South Texas whitetail doe.

H&Hhunter
January 29, 2003, 09:44 PM
I'll throw this one in the kitty.

H&Hhunter
January 29, 2003, 10:06 PM
Here is a little peice of history. This is a picture of me and my father circa 1984. The critter is not just a Siberiean Ibex but the new world record Siberian Ibex.

Unfortunatley he was not taken in Siberia. So the record only counts as an exotic animal. This is one of the Ibex that the state of NM let lose back in the early 70's in the canadian river gorge in north eastern NM. So while he had been wild all of his life on public land he was not a native species. It was a cool huint non-the less in serious steep hard canyon country.

And one I'll always treasure:)

Stephen A. Camp
January 29, 2003, 10:49 PM
Hello.

This Texas whitetail doe was cleanly taken with a warmish 9mm handload using this STI Trojan Long Slide at about 40 yards.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p4e7cbe310b6a0603d6df5168bfb29329/fd0422f0.jpg

Got another with a Dan Wesson Patriot in .45 ACP using a handloaded round.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/pee307b4c55bab25d3a61ed177595bfed/fceed0e8.jpg

This customized SMLE was used to collect another...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/p7764bf460d72e68cc4acaa7d6f376751/fceb8451.jpg

Best.

PDshooter
February 1, 2003, 11:56 AM
Shot this coyote in 97 S.D Used a hand call came over the hill and sat about 200yds off.

Keith
February 1, 2003, 02:27 PM
My son Connor with a big pile of Alaskan Armadillos.

Art Eatman
February 1, 2003, 06:46 PM
PDshooter, that dog's a lot lighter-colored than what I'm used to seeing. SW Texas, ours are much more red-orange-brown...

Keith, do those critters have those long legs for faster digging? Do they eat earthworms? :D (I'll bet those long-legged critters taste better than 'dillers.)

Art

sasnofear
February 2, 2003, 01:25 PM
50yrd rook in rain & very high swirlling wind with an air rifle...perfect headshot.

Keith
February 2, 2003, 03:05 PM
Art,

Alaskan 'dillers are tough critters! In this instance, we had cached some salted cod in two metal cages and then dropped them in 50 fathoms of water to keep the 'dillers off... Hell, we went back the next day and found they'd actually dove down there and eaten every bit of our cod! They then jumped out on the deck expecting a ride back to shore and we were so intimidated we went along with it...

Keith

Art Eatman
February 2, 2003, 05:09 PM
:D

Keith, I was rading somehere, some years back, that the king crab fishery had been over-harvested, and that's the reason for the snow crabs being seen more in restaurants. Izziss true?

Art

Keith
February 2, 2003, 06:28 PM
That's a complicated question, Art.

King crabs used to be found in the Bering Sea AND along the North Pacific side of the Aleutians and down the coast as far as Juneau. That North Pacific fishery died out. That used to be blamed on over-harvesting, but lately they've come to the conclusion that it was a change in the temperature of the sea water. For some reason the temperature rose several degrees in the late 1960's. The King Crab numbers went down and the number of Bairdi Crabs rose - those are Bairdi Crabs in the picture above. The North Pacific King Crab fishery collapsed.

In the last few years, the water temperature in this part of the Pacific has begun to fall again and King Crab numbers are beginning to increase. No doubt, Bairdi numbers will soon start to fall. Maybe in ten years there will be another great North Pacific King Crab fishery like existed in the past?

In the meantime, the King Crab fishery in the Bering has remained pretty constant. It's pretty tightly regulated and policed, at least inside the US economic Zone.

The reason you see these "Snow Crabs" is just good marketing. These are known as Opilio crabs to fisherman and there used to be no market for them because... well, compare them to a King Crab!
Somebody dreamed up the name "Alaskan Snow Crab" and suddenly everyone wanted them...go figure!

These Bairdi Crabs are nearly as meaty as the Kings and there are zillions of them along two thousand miles of the Alaskan Pacific Coast from SE all the way out to the tip of the Aleutians, but there's no big market. Nobody even knows what a Bairdi Crab is.

Keith

Art Eatman
February 2, 2003, 09:30 PM
Ah, so! Thanx, Keith.

Art

Keith
February 3, 2003, 07:23 PM
Art,

Sorry for the book... fishing drives the economy here.

By the way, that pile of crabs was from just two pots which were in the water only 24 hours. And that just off town here where everyone has a pot or two in the water. Think of all them crabs along thousands of miles of unihabited coast, just going to waste!

Wisconsin don't make enough butter!

Keith

Art Eatman
February 3, 2003, 08:01 PM
Better a thorough explanation than one which says too little and leaves too much room for more questions...

I admit there are times when I wish I weren't such a warm-weather desert rat. There's a lot about Alaska to like.

But when it's 110, my arthritis doesn't bother me nearly so much. :) Pain-free Is Good.

:), Art

mec
February 12, 2003, 09:43 AM
Guns and Animals. The gun is a ruger comp target that shoots just like a rifle with the 1.5-4X weaver scope. The Jackrabbit is of the expired variety. The scope came in handy on this on as I was rested against a fence post. The JR was sitting near the bale of hay and all I could see was his little bitty ears 40 yards off. Head shot.

edlsen
February 19, 2003, 10:31 PM
I just posted this on another thread, but for those of you who don't want to chase it down I'll do it again.
This is my first deer. I took it during the opening weekend of early muzzleloader season in Northeast Iowa. I was laying in a pasture with my gun resting on a pine branch that I was hiding behind. The shot was about 25 yards. It is a 10 point and the neck measured 32 inches. It weighed 235 lbs without the guts. I ended up with 125 lbs of sausage, 50 lbs of jerky, and 70 lbs of deer sticks. (The weight doesn't add up because of the pork they add to the sausage) Yes, I'm having it mounted. The neatest things for me were that my very pregnant wife had gone out with me that day and that I got this guy with a muzzleloader. My biggest disappointment is that this is the deer I should have worked up to. Now I can't take anything less. :D
My First Deer (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=124833)
Happy Hunting
Jared

Sorry the picture is so dark, but I took my shot with about 5 minutes of light left so by the time I got to getting a picture it was pretty dark.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns and Animal pictures" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!