Is the M44 a good rifle?

PDA

Franco2shoot
January 12, 2008, 08:34 PM
There is an M44 Mosin Nagant carbine for sale for 100 bucks at a store near me. The stock isnt too bad and the bolt is in good shape. Has anybody ever had one of these? Is it a fun gun to shoot? I am torn over whether or not to buy it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the M44 a good rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bazooka Joe71
January 12, 2008, 08:36 PM
M44 is a great rifle...And is at the top of my list of my rifles I like to shoot.

THR Search M44 (http://www.thehighroad.org/search.php?searchid=3443130)

Franco2shoot
January 12, 2008, 08:37 PM
Me and my Dad looked at the markings and it dates to 1946. Came from the same factory as the one my dad just got too

dmftoy1
January 12, 2008, 08:54 PM
I like mine. Haven't had very good luck shooting it so far but I attribute that to some crap "Brown Bear" ammo where the bullets were undersize. (.308) I just cast up a whole batch of new bullets for it and when the brass and dies get here later this week I'll have a better report! :) I can't imagine that the gun won't be a good shooter as the bore is in great shape and so is the rest of the rifle.

Bazooka Joe71
January 12, 2008, 09:01 PM
Pay $100 for it and you won't be disappointed...They are addictive though.

Make sure to shoot it at dusk.:)

iamkris
January 12, 2008, 09:02 PM
Has anybody ever had one of these?

Other than the 5000 threads on them, no...not many people ;) (Does anyone use the search anymore?)

My first question is, what does "are these good guns?" mean? For what? Long range target shooting? No. Hunting? Potentially. Blasting away? Most definitely. Trading fodder for when the big one blows and you arm your neighbors? Yup.

Javelin
January 12, 2008, 09:07 PM
Trading fodder for when the big one blows and you arm your neighbors? Yup.

Wow. There ya go! I think I would consider this an investment in the "futures market" right? Just trying to figure out where my 401k would fit in with that purchase. J/K I havent actually had time to go shot my M44 yet.. it sure does look nice sitting in the box!

:)

Bazooka Joe71
January 12, 2008, 09:13 PM
Other than the 5000 threads on them, no...not many people

In his defense, there were only 175 threads on the M44.:p

dmftoy1
January 12, 2008, 09:16 PM
I think the M44 is going to be one of those rifles that you read about on here in 5 years where people say "crap . . why didn't I but 5 of those when they were $89!!!!!"

Roughly 30-06 ballistics, cheap ammo for less than $100 . . .oh yeah . . and you can roast a marshmellow on the side mounted bayonet at the same time as you're doing your target practice.

cornman
January 12, 2008, 09:23 PM
you can get them for $79 around here but $100 with a good bore is not bad, but don't expect them to go up in price in the coming depression.

sharkhunter2018
January 12, 2008, 10:08 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/sharkhunter2018/mosinfireball.jpg

'Nough said...:D

baz
January 12, 2008, 10:59 PM
I'm one of the many satisfied M44 owners here. I love it.

mudslinging79
January 12, 2008, 11:12 PM
you bet your hind end!!! its a sweet rifle, various loads available, and it kicks butt! simple in design, unchanged actionwise since first production, though the bolt is a little overengeneered, but fairly fail safe and dependable. and they just look sweet.

ohioarmedneutrality
January 13, 2008, 12:33 AM
Buy it. Shoot it. Enjoy it. Especially the muzzle blast and the sore shoulder that tells you "Wow what a cool rifle!"

You might even be able to find one for less than $100 with some more looking around. Mine was $70 bought about 1 year ago.

Franco2shoot
January 13, 2008, 01:31 AM
well the good thing about this one is its got a one year warranty

Mojo-jo-jo
January 13, 2008, 04:04 AM
Best rifle you can get for $100. Probably the best for < $200.

rangerruck
January 13, 2008, 04:31 AM
i like the 38 better, but in either case, best 100 bucks I ever spent on a firearm, and only 20 bucks more for a brand spankin new dog collar sling for it.
I would not hesitate to shoot at any game in north America with it, with the 205 grainers, it is a bear dropper and elk dropper.

mudslinging79
January 13, 2008, 02:25 PM
one thing that i like about all mosin nagants is the fact that they look rough, but so simple a retarded monkey can operate them. virtually unchanged action wise for hundreds of years, yet still perform like they were made yesterday, and still in use in various third world countries as issue equipment, let alone recreational use in the states.

Franco2shoot
January 13, 2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks to all for the words of advice. I went back to the store as soon as I got off of work today and got it. Unfortunately, Virginia's "Instant Background Check" system crapped out and I ended up leaving empty handed. I got to shoot it though, Great fun!

Cosmoline
January 13, 2008, 09:22 PM
The Soviet M44 is good. The Polish M44 is excellent.

spiroxlii
January 13, 2008, 10:49 PM
I have two Soviet M44s, and I LOVE THEM!

stolivar
January 13, 2008, 11:21 PM
Sorry, about 4,700,000 for m44

steve:neener:

GD
January 14, 2008, 12:22 AM
A one year warranty on a M44! Bwa ha ha ha! Mine had a 60 year warranty on it from the Izhevsk arsenal. Still works great.

biscuitninja
January 14, 2008, 12:26 AM
I like my 91/30 better. But I use it as a ringer in competitions, it is good for MOA @ 400 yards. The 44 is MUCH lighter and easier to handle, I love the blast, ringer in the ear as well the the blindness because of the muzzle blast. So... ITSALLGOOD! :evil::D

Anyways go get one and be happy, shoot it up and never pay attention to the 100 or so you spent. P.s. get some milsurp ammo for less than the price of a good rifle.

-bix

james_bond
January 14, 2008, 12:29 AM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/james_bond827/P8250342.jpg
I love mine

w_houle
January 14, 2008, 12:37 AM
nice pic of the rifle

sarduy
January 14, 2008, 01:03 AM
Hey bro.. the M44 is a great gun and very funny and cheat to shot the ballistic is about the same as a 308, i don't have a video about my m44 but here's a video about the 91/30 (the longer version of the m44).

video 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uRFmUlTxEs

video 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Z7y7O_xDA

silverlance
January 14, 2008, 01:02 PM
one of the nicest things about the mosin nagant is how easy it is to reload for it, even using the most rudimentary tools.

riflenut
January 15, 2008, 12:34 AM
i have owned mine for about 6 months, got mine for 79 bucks . I shoot the surplus ammo yes its corrisive made in 1954!, no problems like so many posts clean bore and bolt with windex to defuse the salt from primmers used in the ammo. then clean your rifle after this the way you always have . the ammo I use is bulgarian 2.25 for 10 rounds!! hope you enjoy it dont forget a good pair of good ear plugs. its a LITTLE LOUD.:neener::neener:

Deer Hunter
January 15, 2008, 12:45 AM
I have a very accurate M44. I use it for hunting. 204 grain SPs from Baurnal are great on game.

But is it a good rifle?

This big spike hates the thing. :)

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/101_1102.jpg

It moved....

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/BabeandGun-1.jpg

I didn't actually stab it, but it makes for a cool pic.

Mr White
January 15, 2008, 01:45 AM
If you were just a tad closer to that spike, you could have roasted him at the same time you shot him with yourr M44.

Deer Hunter
January 15, 2008, 01:48 AM
I know, but it was only 40 yards away in the woods. He fell where he stood, which was good because I was too busy putting out the small forest fire than track a deer.

spiroxlii
January 15, 2008, 01:56 AM
its a LITTLE LOUD.

WHAT?!

Franco2shoot
January 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
Well I drove him back out after the Instant check took 24 hours... (Not exactly instant when there's a gun show in Richmond) and he didn't deliberate very long.

Took it home and here's a over under shot of the two MN's we now own.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71244&d=1200521841

Now to get a couple tins of ammo

KKKKFL

iamkris
January 15, 2008, 05:53 PM
This big spike hates the thing.

Hey, who shot the neighbor's dog?

MassMark
January 15, 2008, 05:57 PM
I just found a batch that look like they are in awesome condition for a whopping $75-bucks at a local dealer here. Figured it was time to join the ranks of the Mosin craze before they dry up. When I pick my rifle on Thursday, is there anything specific I should be looking for? Can't wait to get it out to the range and see what all the hullabaloo is about... :cool:

ArmedBear
January 15, 2008, 05:59 PM
one of the nicest things about the mosin nagant is how easy it is to reload for it, even using the most rudimentary tools.

First time I read that, I thought it said, "one of the nicest things about the mosin nagant is how easy it is to reload it, even using the most rudimentary tools."

And my reaction was, "Yeah, that's true. With something like a Remington, you might need something more expensive like a Vice Grip to reload it, but with a Mosin, the flat side of a hatchet will do fine." Mosin owners know what I mean.

The M44 is not a good rifle. But it will kill a deer, and it probably won't break, no matter what you do to it. Just bring a rubber hammer to get the bolt open, and enjoy using the safety.:) It's well worth 75 bucks.

SlamFire1
January 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
The M44 is not a good rifle. But it will kill a deer, and it probably won't break, no matter what you do to it. Just bring a rubber hammer to get the bolt open, and enjoy using the safety. It's well worth 75 bucks.

Maybe it lacks the smooth action of a pre 64, but the sucker will go bang!

Not only is the cartridge good on deer, but the cartridge, and rifle turned millions of unwanted German Fascists into perfectly good fertilizer.

The WWII generation would have called that progress.

MassMark
January 16, 2008, 12:23 AM
I've never been so excited about picking up a $75.00 rifle....Perhaps because I've never bought a $75.00 rifle! :cool:

spiroxlii
January 16, 2008, 12:41 AM
MassMark, when I picked up my first Mosin-Nagant, it was almost by accident. I was a brand new milsurp collector. All I had under my belt were my two SKS carbines and my Enfield No1MkIII. I was actually hunting for more Enfields, because I believed they were so affordable. An Ishapore 2A caught my eye on one of the dealer tables, so I walked over to check it out, since it looked like an SMLE. As I was looking at the Ishapore 2A, I spotted a crate of rifles behind the table that had "$69 Deal of the Show!" written on it. I had to check it out.

Long story short, I walked away with the Ishapore 2A and not just one, but two M44s.

Lamb of Gun
January 16, 2008, 11:04 AM
They are excellent rifles. I love mine to death and wouldn't have minded playing more than the 90 dollars I spent on it.

Also one day it may make good firewood.

Someone said that they will be a rifle that everyone will wish they had purchased 5 years from now. Well I've been seeing prices goin up here in there at the gun shows and Gander Mountain selles them for $149.99. So, I think it may be starting sooner than we thought.

Franco2shoot
January 16, 2008, 11:34 AM
Looks like the picture function went do-do. I will repost the pic later today.
KKKKFL

mudslinging79
January 16, 2008, 12:48 PM
prices may be going up, but they still can be had for under $100... big 5 has them on sale for $89.99, just sort through the crap. what i see going up fast is ammo prices, for everything. thank you mr bush

Mikee Loxxer
January 16, 2008, 12:54 PM
They are a rifle, but like all Russian Mosin Nagants they can't really be called good.

ROMAK IV
January 16, 2008, 01:27 PM
They are a rifle, but like all Russian Mosin Nagants they can't really be called good.

What criteria for saying that they're good? You have 60 year old rifles, effectively arsenal rebuilt to acceptable standards, at $100 or less. Ammunition is cheaper than anything else except 22lr, and accuracy is acceptalbe and comparable to a new rifle. I picked out one with an excellent trigger and what appears to be a new barrel. It shoots around 1 MOA with surplus ammunition, and the stock is like new as well. So then is a new Remington that doesn't shoot as well and uses ammunition twice as expensive? An M-44 has a strong recoil, but it isn't any worse thn other surplus rifles.

spiroxlii
January 16, 2008, 01:52 PM
Mikee, I keep running into that attitude here on THR. People say it's a mediocre rifle or dismiss it and recommend more expensive rifles when people ask about getting into milsurp collecting.

I can't figure out why people feel that way about the Soviet surplus Mosin Nagants. They are more than acceptably accurate. The ones on the market now are in lovely condition. Ammo is not too expensive compared to other rifle ammo. They're dead simple to operate and maintain. I've got more complicated rifles (Swiss K31, SMLE). I've got "more accurate rifles" (Swiss K31, SMLE). I still love my M44s and shoot them more regularly than I shoot my Enfield or my K31 due to the cost of ammunition. I've never felt like I was "settling" for anything when I pick up my Mosin Nagant instead of one of my "better" rifles. If anything, I feel like I really got a great buy when I picked up these two beauties for $70 a piece.

Franco2shoot
January 16, 2008, 02:44 PM
I'll jump in here and say that for my 19yr old I thought it a good purchase. Remember, he has a limited budget, hangs out with his old man, (Costs me a bundle when we take the .308) and enjoys just punching holes in paper or trying to clip a bowling pin set down range 100 yards. Personally, I think he is gonna have a tough time doing this with the 44, and I can probably keep up with him using me 91/30 and the new 6-18x50 scope. So its good Father/Son bonding and I'm pleased.

(one other thing - he used my login to start this thread, so I had to put his hand on his head with a lump under it and require that he get his own login)
Youts... Oh well he's gettin better.
KKKKFL

Joshua M. Smith
January 16, 2008, 03:57 PM
Just a little bit of work... $5 in material to make shims, and the rest just my own way of gunsmithing, smoothed some internals and that's it... no permanent changes...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/M44/Czech2.jpg
Czech 148gr silver tipped light ball, 50 yards...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/M44/011120082.jpg
... S&B 180gr FMJ, 50 yards...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/M44/011120081.jpg
... and Barnaul 203gr soft point, 50 yards.

It's entirely possible I was wearing out by the time I got to the Barnaul, but it could also be that my M44 just likes the 180 grain stuff the best.

So in short, yes, they're good for what they are. I shoot at 50 yards because the maximum range I would be able to take a shot around here is about 100 yards, and there's no appreciable drop. It's a brush gun.

On the other hand, I'm seeking out a Winchester M70 or a Remington 700 to heavily customize into a 500 yard coyote rifle. I would only attempt a shot at 300 yards on deer sized game with a Mosin if I had a 91/30, scoped, and the rest of the rifle (not to mention the shooter) could take advantage of that 'scope.

That said, pie plate accuracy at 200yds is very good for these rifles, and is to be the expected accuracy at 100, 150 yards.

Josh <><

Mikee Loxxer
January 16, 2008, 04:10 PM
Romak IV I don't normally take part in internet p*ssing matches but to state that it is no worse than any other milsurp rifle indicates that you have never compared the experience of punching paper at 200 yards with a Swiss K31 to that of a Mosin Nagant carbine. The experiences are like night and day. That is all I am going to say on this subject for now.

mudslinging79
January 16, 2008, 04:11 PM
my second rifle was an m-44, $60 at the gunshow, crap for a stock. since then, ive dressed her in a nice stock with the sling cutouts inlaid, floated the barrel, refinished the stock, and scoped it. shoots fine, works just fine. i have no problems with it, cept roasting marshmallows with the bayo and heavy ball doesnt work out too good, they keep disapearing for some reason.

cracked butt
January 16, 2008, 04:17 PM
They are a rifle, but like all Russian Mosin Nagants they can't really be called good

They're neither good nor bad, but they fit the Soviet ethic perfectly by being 'good enough'.

Mikee, I keep running into that attitude here on THR. People say it's a mediocre rifle or dismiss it and recommend more expensive rifles when people ask about getting into milsurp collecting.

I can't figure out why people feel that way about the Soviet surplus Mosin Nagants. They are more than acceptably accurate. The ones on the market now are in lovely condition. Ammo is not too expensive compared to other rifle ammo. They're dead simple to operate and maintain. I've got more complicated rifles (Swiss K31, SMLE). I've got "more accurate rifles" (Swiss K31, SMLE).

I have several mosin nagants and the only ones that ever get shot are my pre-war 91/30s. After spending years shooting Swiss/U.S/Swedish/Czech rifles, its really difficult for me to get excited about a Mosin regardless of how cheap they are to shoot.

spiroxlii
January 16, 2008, 05:14 PM
Well, that's the thing. I own a Swiss K-31. It's a work of art and accurate to a fault, but it hasn't diminished my love for my M-Ns...

I think I'm just a hopeless Cruffler with a case of milsurpitis.

El Barto
January 16, 2008, 05:17 PM
I'd rather shoot the M38 and not have to mess with the attached tent stake.

mudslinging79
January 16, 2008, 05:21 PM
comes off with one screw... also kinda handy if you need 2 hands, unfold bayo, insert in tree or log...

Franco2shoot
January 17, 2008, 09:28 AM
Had to re-insert the picture link... note that the bayonet is missing on my son's 44. Should we purchase one for better balance?

That sure is good shootin even if its just 50 yards...

KKKKFL

SlamFire1
January 17, 2008, 10:30 AM
Had to re-insert the picture link... note that the bayonet is missing on my son's 44. Should we purchase one for better balance?

Yes, if you get the bayonets now, they will be a lot cheaper than later. And folks will want a M44 with the bayonet more than a M44 without a bayonet.

As for balance, the M38 is a lot handier than a bayonet equiped M44. The bayonet adds considerable weight to the carbine.

But it looks cool.

Franco2shoot
January 17, 2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for that feedback on the bayonet. Now another technical question.

We were experiencing a tightening when closing the bolt last night. I pulled the bolt all the way out and with a spent cartridge, put one edge under the extractor claw then pushing to the side the cartridge slipped in so that the bolt head encircled the brass. The bevel on the 7.62x54 case seems to be designed to assist this. But on reading somewhere about seating, it sounds like the case should not be entirely back against the bolt. So, now I'm confused.

Can you explain?

Thanks
KKKKFL

spiroxlii
January 17, 2008, 12:09 PM
According to people who know more about the M-N than I do, the M44 was sighted in at the factory with the bayonet extended, and the pressure that the bayonet puts on the barrel may actually affect its accuracy.

Joshua M. Smith
January 17, 2008, 12:12 PM
Hello,

Sounds like you're talking about headspace.

A little tighting with a live round is normal. I mean, you shouldn't have to pound it closed, but it shouldn't feel like it's being closed on an empty chamber either.

The 7.62x54r cartridge headspaces in the chamber off of the rim, as compared to the shoulder or mouth like other cartridges such as the .30-06 or 9mm.

When you close the bolt, you'll have just a little play between the bolt face and the cartridge rim. This should be kept to a minimum; just enough for it to chamber. Though by describing a "tightening" it sounds like you're ok, that's not a reliable method to check with, and so you might want to take a look at this guide:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/headspace/index.asp

The headspace gauges are very good investments.

If, however, you've shot this a lot, and it's not blown up on you and it's not shown any overpressure signs, you're likely good.

Josh <><

Franco2shoot
January 17, 2008, 12:58 PM
I'm thinking that headspace is between the front edge of the brass lip once the cartridge is seated in the barrel. Correct me if I'm wrong.

First take the bolt completely out and look straight down at the firing pin.
What I described was seating the cartridge under the extractor claw and flat against the bolthead. At this point looking down you could see the brass lip encircled by the steel of the bolt. The bevel on the base of the cartridge slides on the bolt edge across from the claw and the entire cartridge lines up straight. Once we lubed the edges the loading was smoother, so I think this is the way it should be..
KKKKFL

Franco2shoot
January 17, 2008, 01:44 PM
Here's a quick pic to show what I was talking about. I put the left edge under the extractor claw and then swung the cartridge in place with it seated against the face.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71295&stc=1&d=1200591689

Hopefully this makes it clear.
KKKKFL

tinygnat219
January 17, 2008, 01:46 PM
I have bought these ranging in price from 35.00 to 100 bucks. Each one goes bang.

Funderb
January 17, 2008, 02:10 PM
My m44, endearingly named "grandpa" is one of my favourites. and my first centerfire. just buy a shoulder pad. and always remember to shoot with the bayonette out.

Funderb
January 17, 2008, 02:12 PM
headspace is between the rim of the shell and the rear of the chamber. it is the most important part of buying a milsurp, and the the most important seal in the rifle. don't play with it, unless you want useless brass-riddled eyes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the M44 a good rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!