"Knotted Gun" at the UN building

PDA

novaDAK
January 13, 2008, 11:36 PM
Did a search and didn't find anything...I figured I'd start a thread that discusses everyone's feelings on that "Knotted Gun" sculpture that's outside of the UN building in NYC.

I myself would love to see one of two things.

1. It be removed and destroyed
2. "Modified" with a saw, to remove the "knot" and make it into a 2.5" Python :evil:

I firmly believe that having this sculpture anywhere on US soil is an insult to the Constitution.

What would be the world's reaction if there was a sculpture of a person with their mouth taped shut, or their hands cut off to prevent them from speaking or writing freely?
This is a pic if anyone didn't know what I'm talking about:

http://bluedandelion.net/english/nyc/P3220128.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about ""Knotted Gun" at the UN building" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eric F
January 13, 2008, 11:38 PM
I think its funny

and a reminder of what some folks really want

Sam1911
January 14, 2008, 12:21 AM
I wonder if somehow it could be added onto.

Next to it a sculpture of a man and woman with their mouths taped shut.

On the other side a sculpture of a Priest, Rabbi, minister holding a bible, an Imam, and some other assorted holy men handcuffed and manacled.

In front of it a large book in flames.

Now, what sculpture would we use to represent unlawful search and seizure?

And to show someone being forced to testify against himself.

Etc., etc.

It could be a kind of visual "Mission Statement" for the U.N.

-Sam

jdorian
January 14, 2008, 12:22 AM
Cool sculture. Very symbolic. I would let it stay there, consider it a symbol of those places that do not permit gun ownership. What better symbol of the prohibition of gun ownership?

mad hungarian
January 14, 2008, 12:35 AM
The sculpture is a disgrace. It does not belong on U.S. soil and the United Nations should not be having say in american gun ownership. Anti gun countries in Western Europe need to remember that american guns helped free them over 60 years ago. I am first generation american and believe in the right to bear arms very much. Having access to firearms was a help in the sweet but short lived hungarian revolution of 1956.

MH

stevemis
January 14, 2008, 12:38 AM
That's so wrong. I had no idea it was there.

Nomad101bc
January 14, 2008, 12:39 AM
Its a reminder what the U.N and "the empire state" are is all about.

Ratshooter
January 14, 2008, 12:41 AM
You know if you were to straighten the barrel it would be an illegal length for its scale.

Ratshooter
January 14, 2008, 12:43 AM
You know if you were to straighten the barrel it would be an illegal length for its scale.

It sorta looks like English Bobs pistol after Little Bill got through with it.

You know, in Unforgiven.

Daemon688
January 14, 2008, 12:45 AM
Well, I'm no fan of the UN......and that should say it all.

BridgeWalker
January 14, 2008, 12:47 AM
The idea of "beating swords into ploughshares" or otherwise disposing of arsenals no longer needed for war is just a way of celebrating peace.

I don't think a statue of mutilated gun is necessarily against all guns any more than a statue of a soldier in a battle-torn uniform is anti-military.

The statue is open to wide interpretation.

w_houle
January 14, 2008, 12:54 AM
I remember seeing that when I had visited the UN back in 1991 an din't really give it any thought until now, and I think to a certain extent i understood the intent of the sculpter of the piece but realize now that the concept of the piece is so unattainable:banghead: because it represents the the classic ideology of blame shifting all of our evil to an inanimate object. The funny thing is that we live in an allegedly rational society that doesn't believe in ghosts or the monster under your bed, but if you have a pistol in you prescense it supposedly does evil things. According to the antigunners you could blame every evil deed on a gun as though a gun was satan himself:evil:

Colin Doyle
January 14, 2008, 01:01 AM
I'm with BridgeWalker on this one. It's intended to provoke thought. Unfortunately, the thought it provokes is likely to be "OH GOOD ANOTHER EVIL GUN OFF THE STREET!" :(

Colin

RecoilRob
January 14, 2008, 01:14 AM
I'm in a rowdy mood.....How about us gettin' together as a 'Mass Protest' and pulling that sucker out of the mount and destroying it???

Imagine!! Several thousand of 'US' arriving and Legally Organising to Protest and we 'just happen to destroy' the 'Twisted Gun' out of our sense of Patriotism?

I'm IN!!! Anyone else feel froggy???

Firethorn
January 14, 2008, 01:19 AM
Rob, I think that I'm with option #2: cut the barrel back to turn it into a snubnose.

Gents, any suggestions to be able to do it in dark of night, very quickly?

gunmn74
January 14, 2008, 01:25 AM
Can anyone operate a tower crane? :eek:I am sure there is one close.:neener:

I dont like it but I dont think there is anything can be done about it legaly.
It is not US soil. The gun can stay if they change that UN building into a
homeless shelter. I dislike the UN more than there taste in art.

Disclaimer for goverment types: I do not advacate breaking the law.

JAG2955
January 14, 2008, 01:28 AM
Anyone else notice that it's a gun that's never been issued to any military?

Scanr
January 14, 2008, 01:28 AM
I'm in a rowdy mood.....How about us gettin' together as a 'Mass Protest' and pulling that sucker out of the mount and destroying it???

Imagine!! Several thousand of 'US' arriving and Legally Organising to Protest and we 'just happen to destroy' the 'Twisted Gun' out of our sense of Patriotism?

I'm IN!!! Anyone else feel froggy???

I seem to recall a group of men dressed up and did something similar to some English tea in Boston Harbor.

Yeah I'm in if it means we get our country back.

CryingWolf
January 14, 2008, 01:29 AM
Rob, I say we just have to cut the knot off!

AMBASSADOR
January 14, 2008, 01:36 AM
That is the kind of guns that U.N. Forces are issued when they go to protect people in foreign countries.Did'nt you see Hotel Rowanda?.They also have no balls.:D

CNYCacher
January 14, 2008, 01:37 AM
Gents, any suggestions to be able to do it in dark of night, very quickly?

Can't . . . resist . . . urge to reply too strong. . . .

Thermite? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite)

RecoilRob
January 14, 2008, 01:44 AM
Gentlemen...let's take this to PM...

GlowinPontiac
January 14, 2008, 01:47 AM
how about a statue of a blue helmeted figure stomping on the us constitution? it would be a much more true to life depiction of their ways.

Pax Jordana
January 14, 2008, 01:49 AM
Gentlemen...let's take this to PM...

Very good, this was idling on the shoulder of the high road..

I'd hate to read about 'domestic terrorists' getting caught with 'explosives'.. with an oxyacetylene torch (check sears) you might just be vandals :evil:

Nomad101bc
January 14, 2008, 01:49 AM
I guess it will become a concealed carry statement since chopping off the knot will make it a Snub nose. lol

Fish828
January 14, 2008, 01:50 AM
The sculpture is a disgrace. It does not belong on U.S. soil and the United Nations should not be having say in american gun ownership.

Said perfectly. As far as I am concerned, you nipped the issue in the bud.

Gingerbreadman
January 14, 2008, 01:58 AM
I saw this same statue at the "Museum of Peace" in France several years ago. It seemed appropriate when viewed in the extreme abstract and in the context of the museum, but as a stand-alone in front of the UN it just is...wrong.

Vermont
January 14, 2008, 02:02 AM
Really? Not one person has said this? I'm gonna have to be the one? Ok, here goes...

I think the statue is symbolic of peace. An idealistic notion to be sure, and certainly an unobtainable goal, but nonetheless something worth striving for.

Edit: Oops, BridgeWalker said it already.
And Colin Doyle...I guess I should have read the thread more carefully...

eliphalet
January 14, 2008, 02:02 AM
Repersents two things.
1. The UN wants to disarm the USA or I should say world.
2. How effective the guns are the UN sends with it's peace keepers.

gunmn74
January 14, 2008, 02:07 AM
thread lock in 3 2 1 go

Zundfolge
January 14, 2008, 02:15 AM
I firmly believe that having this sculpture anywhere on US soil is an insult to the Constitution.
Yeah, forget that pesky 1st Amendment :neener:

I'm more offended of the presence of UN personel anywhere on US soil over that of a silly sculpture (looking at the knot, that must be a 14" barreled Python :p )

Leif Runenritzer
January 14, 2008, 02:17 AM
Maybe some New Yorkers could organize a protest where they gather at the gun with duct tape over their mouths and blank picket signs.

230RN
January 14, 2008, 02:18 AM
I agree with the general sentiment here that this is a propaganda piece, pure and simple, and should not be on the UN grounds.

However, channel your rage and ire over this sculpture into more useful and effective areas.

Like, get every 2A-er that you know to vote.

Like, write letters to the editors.

Like, join the RKBA organization of your choice.

Like,...

...oh, h3ll, don't we have bigger fish to fry?

novaDAK
January 14, 2008, 02:22 AM
Lets keep it on The High Road and not start talking about anything illegal. I simply posted this so I could hear everyone's opinions on it to see if they were similar to mine...for the most part it seems like I'm not out of the ordinary.

And as for the 1st amendment, it's fine that someone wants to express themselves and their disagreement with guns...however, I feel it's more than simply a belief, but a goal of the UN. After all, the UN has stated it's position on INTERNATIONAL GUN CONTROL.

grimjaw
January 14, 2008, 02:23 AM
I'll be danged if that doesn't look like a Colt.

jm

UhKlem
January 14, 2008, 02:31 AM
I notice the guards at the UN all carry weapons, and if I recall former "his excellency" Kofi Annan's body guards were caught in NYC with unregistered MP-5 submachine guns. I guess these mandarins understand that the laws are for little people. That would explain why the diplomats never pay their parking tickets either.

Waywatcher
January 14, 2008, 02:39 AM
I'd like to see a crumpled and defaced UN symbol...

Justin
January 14, 2008, 03:14 AM
I don't think a statue of mutilated gun is necessarily against all guns any more than a statue of a soldier in a battle-torn uniform is anti-military.

The statue is open to wide interpretation.

Ok, here's mine:

The statue is of a revolver. Not a battle rifle. Not a policeman's drab sidearm, but a high-quality wheel gun of the sort favored by collectors and private citizen gun owners.

As such, the statue is a blatant monument to the ideals of collectivism that wish to only see arms possessed by those who use them in service of the state.

Coupled with UN member countries' horrendous record of defending the rights of individuals to possess arms, let alone other civil rights, the statue speaks loud and clear.

I've been to New York. I've seen that statue, and I've seen the inscription on the wall of the Peace Plaza across the street with the Isaiah quote about beating swords into plow shares.

Yet for all the high and mighty language about ending war, it's plainly clear by the UN's activities that they the only arms they have a problem with are the ones possessed by those who would use them for their own self defense or other personal reasons.

That some of you try to put a positive spin on it for the sake of open-mindedness only demonstrates the depth of your own ignorance.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Knotted Gun" at the UN building" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!