Carrying a Walking Cane...

PDA

the iron horse
January 14, 2008, 11:31 PM
...in public. Not because you need one to help you walk, but like TR said, "Speak softly, but carry a big stick."

If you enjoyed reading about "Carrying a Walking Cane..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Harley Quinn
January 14, 2008, 11:57 PM
Yep all the time, go here and see what up....
http://www.canemasters.com/

Javelin
January 14, 2008, 11:59 PM
Yep all the time, go here and see what up....
http://www.canemasters.com/

LOL

:)

CWL
January 15, 2008, 12:18 AM
Irish Blackthorn Shilleleagh for me.

the iron horse
January 15, 2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the link Harley Quinn.

Harley Quinn
January 15, 2008, 08:22 AM
the Iron horse your welcome. This cane is a good one because it is so strong.
Rattan is the wood that most of the Filipino fighting sticks are made of.
http://www.canemasters.com/index.php/rattan-cane-p-79/

The above link is where you can find it.

Kingcreek
January 15, 2008, 01:15 PM
I make my own walking sticks from black locust wood and dress em up with some antler, copper, or brass. I make 2 or 3 a year and give them to friends and family. My daughter frequently carried hers when she lived in the city.

DPris
January 15, 2008, 01:15 PM
I have two canes from Cane Masters. Both are hickory, the strongest wood they use. The crooks are enlarged for a better "grab" in certain holds, and the tip of the horn can be either quite sharp for compliance or less so, depending on what you prefer.
One flies with me every time I visit a place where it's not legal or not worth the hassle of taking a gun along.
Their products are well made, and you can go fancy or plain, depending on your preferences.
These canes rarely get a second glance, and only once have I had any security people comment on one at the airport.
The Death's Head & other straight walking sticks are more likely to draw attention & not quite as adaptable for defense.
Denis

SDC
January 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
Cold Steel also offers fibreglass canes made specifically for use as an impact weapon (as well as sword canes, if you're in a locality that allows them): http://www.coldsteel.com/citystick.html

hso
January 15, 2008, 03:54 PM
Took mine to Kuwait with me.

wheelgunslinger
January 15, 2008, 05:01 PM
I never gave canes a second thought until I began taking AiKiDo/HapKiDo from a guy who was expert in its use.
Now, I really keep my eyes peeled on cane users.

Harley Quinn
January 15, 2008, 06:24 PM
Savate is an interesting Cane style.
It was very important in Europe to have your cane and derby, still is. They have been teaching the cane and derby like a sword and shield for a very long time.

I have a book about ''The Cane as a Weapon" by A.C. Cunningham, written in 1912 and the expanded edition was written in 2006 (which is the one I have). Good book and you can buy it now on the web. :scrutiny:

HQ

CWL
January 15, 2008, 07:31 PM
Savate is an interesting Cane style.

It's actually called La Canne (the cane) which is a separate discipline although it has been revived by Savate practitioners. Came about when swords were outlawed for daily carry in France.

Harley Quinn
January 15, 2008, 10:18 PM
CWL thanks for the correction, I should have said HAS not is. I did this post to hook to this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_canne

It is different than what I have read in the book I mentioned though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cane_as_a_Weapon

HQ

Otony
January 16, 2008, 09:46 PM
I often carry a heavy Irish Blackthorn, and as others here have already recounted, no one blinks an eye or comments. Very rarely someone might ask what type of wood the cane is made from, but that is about it.

Saw a mature gentleman of my age group at the local farmers market carrying a Cane Master cane, and made a coment on it. He was shocked that I knew what it was, and then we sized each other up (in a friendly fashion).

Hmmm, shoot-me-first vests, sturdy walking shoes, carpenter pants a size bigger than necessary, heavy walking sticks and stout waist belts each. A sly grin, tip o' the hat, and a wink completed the picture and we went on our merry ways. That is about the closest I have ever come to "outing" a fellow traveler! :p

lgsracer
January 17, 2008, 12:44 AM
Also you can carry them on an airplane even brass headed ones.

Robert Hairless
January 17, 2008, 04:58 AM
I understand that it's important to get the right size (or length?) of a cane. Any suggestions? And any hints or tips or tricks about choosing one? Would the kind of canes sold in good pharmacies be suitable?

hso
January 17, 2008, 10:09 AM
RH,

Suitable for what? Use as a walking aid? Sure a pharmacy cane will do. Use as a weapon? As a one time weapons, perhaps, but not to practice with and use.

Inexpensive canes can be had at Farm CoOps or online (http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=61). Look for hickory "stock canes", used for herding.

To get an approximate fit for a can, wear your normal shoes, stand up straight, drop your hand to your side and measure from the crease in your wrist to a point on the floor 2" forward and 6" to the side of the point under your wrist. Trim the cane square and put the smallest rubber tip on it that you can pound onto it (it is very annoying to have the rubber tip fly off in practice). This allows your elbow to bend slightly when your hand is on the cane.

Skofnung
January 18, 2008, 12:07 AM
Were it not for the fact that for someone my age it would draw lots of attention, I would carry one every day. When I get some gray in my beard I will start.

Sticks are formidable weapons indeed.

Baba Louie
January 18, 2008, 02:11 AM
...for someone my age it would draw lots of attention...Skof... Remember that High School football game (was it the homecoming game?) where you blew out your knee? (It was either the right knee or the left one, I don't recall) I see you finally got a good cane for those days when it flares up on ya. :D

elmerfudd
January 19, 2008, 02:01 AM
I'm a little dubious about canes as weapons. Sure they can be effective, you can take them anywhere and you have it right there in your hand when you need it, but I think they also make you a target. Criminal predators are like animal predators. They go after the weakest, easiest prey and if you're walking with a cane that's just what you look like.

ArfinGreebly
January 19, 2008, 03:27 AM
So, what are you saying?

It's unfair to hunt over bait?

:evil:

:D

wheelgunslinger
January 19, 2008, 09:51 AM
LOL. That's funny AG.

Seems like canes would have a greater presence, especially for travelers.

hso
January 19, 2008, 10:24 AM
Predators may show in interest in someone with a cane, but if you are vigorous and using awareness they will probably recognize you as a harder target and look to the suite and tie babbling on his cell and fooling with his pda for easy prey.
Don't look feeble, even if you are.

Skofnung
January 19, 2008, 12:05 PM
Isn't there a story floating around somewhere about two thugs attacking an old man with a cane, and the man turned out to be either Mr. Fairbarin or Rex Applegate, much to the misfortune of the thugs?

DAVIDSDIVAD
January 19, 2008, 06:56 PM
I think if I ever need to carry a cane I'll be using one of these:

http://www.dopeydragon.com/pages/warham.html

(without the top point, of course)

Also, to the point about appearance:

Who says you can't buy the orange suit from dumb and dumber (movie) and walk around spinning the cane?

I'd do it.

hso
January 19, 2008, 07:31 PM
Colonel Applegate was the cane wielding individual.

Skofnung
January 20, 2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks, I thought it was him, but I couldn't remember for sure.

Javelin
January 20, 2008, 05:34 PM
an old man with a cane, and the man turned out to be either Mr. Fairbarin or Rex Applegate, much to the misfortune of the thugs?

A wolf in old-man-cane's clothing you say? This thread just keeps getting better and better!

Who says you can't buy the orange suit from dumb and dumber (movie) and walk around spinning the cane?

I'd do it.

If this thread gets any more hellarious it will need to be published in a book!

:)

cambeul41
January 20, 2008, 06:29 PM
Try Googling videos under "lacanne," cane fighting, etc.

This one has a fighter in a wheel chair.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7328901186124597757&q=lacanne&total=207&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5

biscuitninja
January 27, 2008, 03:49 AM
Been a cane user for a good while now (pretty much any edged weapon, Long sword, short sword, broad sword, hand a half, spear, saber, epee almost any japanese/chinese/european/american sword...) I only got into canes when i had a motorcycle accident and I actually NEEDED a cane. After a while I switched to a sword cane. Not many people actually noticed it until one girl was playing with it. It was interesting.
good luck
-bix

If you enjoyed reading about "Carrying a Walking Cane..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!