.22 LR Sniper Rifle?

PDA

Mainsail
January 17, 2008, 03:35 PM
Well, not exactly. I want a good .22 tack-driver, could be bolt action or semi-auto. I know I can spend a boatload of money and make a 10-22 really accurate, but Iím looking for something thatís good right from the box. AIM Surplus had some really nice bolt action .22s recently but I snoozed and missed out on them. Suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 LR Sniper Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quack
January 17, 2008, 03:41 PM
how far out are you going to shoot? what's the most you want to spend? i just built a new 10/22 for ~$425. when breaking it in, i ws shooting 10rds in a 1/2" groups @ 25yds without a rest (only elbows on the shooting ledge). with a rest/bipod i'm sure it'll do 1/4", along with better ammo. i was using Remmy bulk ammo for break-in.

all i bought was a Hogue stock, Green Mountain barrel, PC base, PC hammer, cheapo scope, Burris rings, and some home trigger work.

kingjoey
January 17, 2008, 03:50 PM
For an out-of-the-box gun that shoots precisely you probably should look at a Marlin. They make some very good barrels and will generally shoot very tight groups. Check out their heavy barrel bolt guns.

rcmodel
January 17, 2008, 03:51 PM
You can't do much better for the money, right out of the box, then a CZ 452 or 453.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products_rimfire_rifles.php

They will shoot rings around most custom 10/22's with no fiddling or after-market parts required, other then a good RF scope.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

kamagong
January 17, 2008, 04:07 PM
CZ 452s are great rifles for the money. Whether you want to use scopes or iron sights, CZ has a model for you.

I just picked this up, it's a CZ 452 Trainer. This is an excellent firearm, and it feels like a real rifle as opposed to the toy-ish quality that many .22s have.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9057/my452traineruo0.jpg

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5135/my452trainerbolttriggeryg7.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5356/my452trainertangentsighig7.jpg

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/529/my452trainerfrontsightdp0.jpg

cracked butt
January 17, 2008, 04:09 PM
CZ or an older Remington 541

Edit: I have to throw in for the Savage MKII also- great rifle, low price.

Quoheleth
January 17, 2008, 04:14 PM
I bought a $170 Remington 597 scope combo at Academy a few weeks ago. When I took it to the range the other day, I put all ten shots into one not-that-ragged-hole at 25 yards, not any bigger than a .38 hole. This is stock...no mods at all. Can't beat that price with a stick...

Q

Urbana John
January 17, 2008, 04:21 PM
I have a Ruger all weather bolt in 22LR and when I first got it some 10 or 15 years ago, I could hit a dime sized target with it 8 out of 10 times of a good rest. Simions (sp) scope 3x9.
Eyes and nerves were better than, and I don't remember the cost.
And I think Rugers are good guns.

UJ

357fan
January 17, 2008, 05:01 PM
+1 for a Savage mkII.

Mainsail
January 17, 2008, 05:08 PM
I’m thinking in the 50 to 100 yard range, even though that may be pushing the envelope for the mighty .22 LR. I think it would be a lot cheaper to improve my marksmanship with the .22 though, and I want a rifle that can group tightly at longer ranges.

TAB
January 17, 2008, 05:13 PM
The CZs are the best bang for the buck right now when it comes to new.

NG VI
January 17, 2008, 05:16 PM
definitely have to throw my vote behind the CZ 452, great 22 rifle, and the one with iron sights still has an attachment point for optices on top. i love iron sights

jaholder1971
January 17, 2008, 05:30 PM
Super accurate rifle, spare match irons part of the package with accutrigger was $260 bucks when I ordered it. Put a Bushnell 4-16X50AO scope and it shoots tiny bugholes.

theNoid
January 17, 2008, 05:37 PM
I'd say if budget isn't that much of a concern, then go CZ. If it is however, do not overlook the Savage. Of course, hotrodding your own, such as 10/22 can be fun and end up with tack driving accuracy if done right. Shoot, it wasn't mentioned but the Marlin 39a lever is also known for it's superb accuracy. I think regardless of the gun you buy, the most important part will be finding the right ammo, and working on the mechanics of shooting properly. I think most often, that most of the guns out there, are usually far more accurate than their owners allow them to be.

Noidster

UnTainted
January 17, 2008, 05:43 PM
The .22 is a small bullet. When an object passes the speed of sound, or slows down from beyond the speed of sound, there is a moment of instability that occurs which will in cases affect accuracy.

Subsonic bullets do not transcend the speed of sound. Thus, I would prefer this as a .22 sniper system:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/AAC-CLOAK.html
:D

Rembrandt
January 17, 2008, 08:06 PM
With all due respect....I wouldn't classify any of the rifles mentioned as candidates for a .22 Sniper rifle. While they are nice plinkers with interesting features the herd gets thinned out if you use 200 yards as a qualifier. Yes, .22's can be extremely accurate at that distance, average rifles fail to make the grade. A true "Sniper" rifle contains all the elements of a target grade firearm. At 100 yards a quality .22 should make one ragged hole. If your rifle can't shoot flies at 100 yards, it's not ready to be classified as a Sniper Rifle.

The rifles currently in production today that would make good .22 Sniper rifles would be....
- 40X
- Cooper
- Anschutz
- Walther
- Kimber

Others that are no longer made but available on the used market...
- Winchester 52's
- Remington 37's

Shawnee
January 17, 2008, 08:18 PM
It is wind that defeats the .22 rimfire - no matter what rifle it is fired from.

That point is made to explain why you don't need an excessively costly gun.

Since others have already named off the currently fashionable models I'll go out on the Proverbial limb and offer the Remington 552 (semi-auto) and (Surprise! Surprise!) the Remington 572 pump-action .22 rimfire.

I just had the extreme pleasure of doing a goodly amount of shooting with the Remington pump (with factory iron sights) a couple weekends ago and was astonished at the accuracy and achievable rate of fire.

:cool:

theNoid
January 17, 2008, 08:18 PM
If your rifle can't shoot flies at 100 yards, it's not ready to be classified as a Sniper Rifle.

Yeah, because we all know how hard it is to get closer than 100yds, let alone how dangerous it can be when stalking those elusive, sniper killing flies...:neener:

Noidster

unlearned69
January 17, 2008, 08:47 PM
I have heard that these are incredibly accurate rifles.
http://www.tennesseeguns.com/toz.html
No affiliation with TN guns, just the first I saw with them.
If you want a real tack driver look at a Kimber or Anschutz.

CZ 42
January 17, 2008, 09:11 PM
You know, Spetsnaz uses a .22lr sniper. They've found it very effective... Pretty silenced, perfectly accurate for short urban range, NO recoil, and plus the .22 does perverse things to people's heads- it's apparently a real 'fight stopper' with head shots. Called SV-99. Also a silent weapon deadly to 200 yards - the first guy's eyebrows.

rangerruck
January 17, 2008, 09:23 PM
new, go for cz or cooper or kimber or anschutz. or biathalon basic, or finnish lion, or such. Used, then go old, and go for winnie, remmie, or Mossberg.

goon
January 17, 2008, 09:32 PM
CZ-452 if you can find one. I think CZ stopped making the trainer that we all know and love and replaced it with a cheap knock off imitation.
That is kind of heartbreaking.

Ratshooter
January 17, 2008, 09:42 PM
Kamagong i checked the CZ website and i think your gun is a 452 Lux and not a basic. Its a nice looking gun though.

doc2rn
January 17, 2008, 09:48 PM
My vote is CZ or Marlin the rest need to much work.

cat_IT_guy
January 17, 2008, 10:33 PM
another vote for the savage mkII - I can consistantly hit clays at 100 yards with mine, once I figure out the drop

kamagong
January 17, 2008, 10:58 PM
Ratshooter,

My rifle is a 452 Special/Trainer. On the CZ-USA website it's called the Training Rifle. I can understand the confusion, the Training Rifle does not have a picture attached and the Lux is the closest thing to my rifle on the site. And for all intents and purposes, the Trainer and Lux are the same rifle. The only difference is that the Lux has a walnut stock, while the Trainer sports beech. My rifle has a beech stock.

loki.fish
January 17, 2008, 10:59 PM
I shoot my Savage MK II at 100 yards quite often. I haven't sat down and been precise with the scope, just got it shooting playing cards at 100 yards. But it's all factory, put a Bushnell scope on it and started shooting. Always using Federal bulk packs from Wally World. If I had a 200 yard range, I'd try it out at 200 yards. For a cheap factory .22 I'm suprised it can hit a playing card consistantly at 100 yards.

Ratshooter
January 18, 2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks Kamagong. I thought the photo of your rifle looked like a hardwood stock and not walnut. I guess the website did confuse me. But i repeat, You have a sharp looking gun.

I'm on a 22 kick right now with ammo being so expensive. I love good quality guns. I will have my dealer get me a price on a gun like yours.

I have bought so many guns lately that i really need to slow down some. I think i have an addiction. On lottery tickets they have a number you can call if you think your in trouble.

I looked on the bottom of the last gun i bought to see if there was a number to the gun buyers addiction help line and the number was to my gun dealer.

I need help fast.

Ratshooter
January 18, 2008, 01:10 AM
O.K. i went back to the CZ website and looked again. The 452 with a walnut stock has a 24" barrel and a 5 round mag. The hardwood stock has a 28" barrel and a 10 round mag.

Does your gun have the 28" barrel?

The photo looks like a 5 round mag.

kamagong
January 18, 2008, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the compliment Ratshooter. I looked around for a Trainer for a long time. Then a month ago I went to a gun show and found three. Mine was the best looking of the bunch, obviously I bought it.

It has the 24.8" barrel. The magazine is of the five-round variety, I think it looks better.

I understand your addiction. I waited 30 years before I bought a gun. Now I have four in the span of eight months and I have a couple more on the way.

ROAshooter
January 18, 2008, 07:38 AM
I am playing this game.....and owning several CZs I may be a bit biased....but my "sniper" 22........is the CZ Varmite.....floated heavy barrel...6X18 scope.......will honestly shoot five rounds....into 5/16 group......fifty yards.....no wind

Medusa
January 18, 2008, 09:22 AM
I use this out to 200m (shooting face sized targets). Sounds like a pellet gun, handles well.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=65413&d=1192214752

kBob
January 18, 2008, 10:38 AM
First, junp in your time machine, then go back to 1974 and get stationed in Neu Ulm FRG across the river from Ulm, purchase a little Anshutz sporter for US $69.50 from the Rod&Gun, join the KPSG 1870 gun club near Neu Ulm to improve on your basic shooting skills and hob nob with guys that built the rifle or tested it and enjoy shooting the little beauty for the next 33 hopefully plus years.

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

BTW .22LR "sniper" rifles have been recommended by the US military and some police planners for use in riot situations since the late 1960's. They were to be used to quietly remove agitators or those with weapons in a crowd. As to their actual use in riots, I have nothing solid.

The US Military used suppressed Ruger 10/22s late in the VN war.These were generally used at fairly close range in prisoner snatches rather than for any sort of long range shooting, but who knows. There are rumors of them being used on occasion to dispatch village dogs to prevent a patrol from being spotted right away (eventually some one WILL miss their dog)

I like the little Walther with the suppressor. A friend that is a licensed manufacturer of suppressors has made dedicated units that mimic a bull barrel on 10/22s, Marlin bolt actions, and a Norinco copy of the Browning 22 take down. They are a hoot to shoot and all of his I have handles would be accurate enough for mosst uses.

I have yet to shoot any of the CZs, but hear nothing but good things about them. Ages ago the Chinese imported a little knock off of a CZ sport rifle that was excellent in my experience and I can not imagine the real ones being any less accurate.

On the other hand there have been a few posters on THR that have reported excellent results from Marlin bolt actions.

A with most things it comes down to how much you want to spend and whose economy you want to most help.

Do keep in mind that especially with .22LR shooting the ammo cnaoften make the biggest single difference....if you don't have a three decade old Anshutz (another one got away)... and what some report as a tack driver with their choice of ammo might be ho-hum with your choice of ammo. For that matter two guns of the same make and model may have differnt ammo tastes.

Get what you are comfortable with among the recommended bolt actions above on this thread and chances are you can find a load of ammo that will make it accurate enough.

-Bob Hollingsworth

CZguy
January 18, 2008, 10:50 AM
On the other hand there have been a few posters on THR that have reported excellent results from Marlin bolt actions.

There is nothing wrong with a Marlin. I own several different manufactures of .22s, but it's the CZ 452 Lux that I always seem to grab, when I walk out the door.

Joshua M. Smith
January 18, 2008, 03:26 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/M1969/DSC00047.jpg
Romanian M1969 trainer...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/M1969/DSC00052.jpg
50 yards, shot bent over a truck hood...

The flyer was probably me, on this particular target. I've since floated the barrel and taken all the high spots out of the action. I also smoothed the trigger, though I kept the weight - it's a hunting rifle.

Any flyers since have been me. The above work did away with all mechanical problems.

According to internet rumor and the site http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/forums/77/t/Military-22-Caliber-Target-Training-Firearms.html , these were built by CZ under contract. I don't know for sure as I don't have in hand any material which says yay or nay.

Regardless, this sucker shoots, and though it may look a bit ugly, it works well. The rifle and additional parts I bought later come to about $135+tax. If you do your own work it really doesn't have to get much more expensive than that.

See "Squirrel Sniper" below.

Josh <><

bhk
January 18, 2008, 05:05 PM
You pretty much get what you pay for, with the exception of the CZs. They seem to have a great reputation for the price. If you are willing to spend a bunch, the Cooper, Anschutz, Kimbers, etc. are the way to go.

One of the things you get with the above rifles are superb triggers. A good 1.5 to 2.5 pound trigger makes all the difference in the world in a shooter's ability to hit small targets. The Savage Accutrigger is better than most, but it is not in the same class as those on the Coopers, Kimbers, etc..

I like to play around with accurate .22 sporters and have had most of the recommended guns at one time or another. My favorite squirrel rifle is now a Kimber. For bench/target shooting I built my own heavy sporter. It has a Sako Finnfire action, a Lilja barrel, a 6.5 to 20 power Leupold scope, and a Jewel 2.5 ounce (yes, ounce) trigger. It shoots well, but would actually be considered a 'beginners' rifle by true rimfire benchrest shooters.

Get a CZ for a reasonably priced rifle with a superb reputation. Buy a good scope (very important) and buy a trigger kit for it. If you want to spend more, the choices are unlimited with used real target rifles maybe the best bargains.

irishvet
January 18, 2008, 05:15 PM
My wife loves her Stevens mdl 62 with a 3-9x30 scope. She hits golf ball at 100yds. all the time. Then again she does the same thing with my AR!!:rolleyes:

Mainsail
January 18, 2008, 06:03 PM
Iím leaning towards the CZ right now, I like the Silhouette model. I donít want to spend >$900 on a .22 rifle and still more on a scope. Thanks everyone for your help!

Sheldon
January 18, 2008, 06:59 PM
I feel fortunate to have gotten all my eligibility papers into the CMP three years back. I just finally got tired of dragging my feet and watching the supply of USGI Garands dwindling and increasing in price. The added and unexpected bonus was the release of several batches of really nice target rimfires. After I received my first Garand order I started to read off a couple of CMP related sites and read quite a few threads about guys getting the rimfire rifles as sold by the CMP when they had them.....rifles like the Remington 40X, Winchester 52D, Remington 513T, and such. I thought those days were gone, but a small trickle of those rifles have been sold since then. I have gotten those rifles plus the H&R M12, Mossberg 44US, and the Kimber 82G rimfire rifles. As the Army receives these returns from ROTC units and such they have been turned over to the CMP for sale. I gotta think few are remaining to be returned and sold. Now with the price of ammo going up it is nice to have some quality rimfire rifles to shoot in place of the centerfire ones.

Soap
January 18, 2008, 07:38 PM
My Kimber has done just fine out of the box. The factory test target was 5 shots, 50 yards, .333" CTC.

Bearhands
January 18, 2008, 08:20 PM
you guys oughta know: That anti's (among others) Google the word "Sniper" more than often...... If you don't care to give them fuel, so be it. My take is:
Why call it anything but a rifle? We need less "shtf" mentality when it comes to open forums and more careful wording. Just my take and $.02

bhk
January 18, 2008, 11:24 PM
+1 !!

trickyasafox
January 18, 2008, 11:35 PM
I have a ruger 10/22 that I like pretty well. for the money I think its a great starter 22.

gazpacho
January 19, 2008, 12:59 AM
I consider my self a pretty good shot.

With the CZ-452 Special out of the box and not broken in, I was able to consistent hit a 3" x 3" steel target with open sights at 100 yards. I was seated indian-sytle with no supports, firing Remington Golden bullet, maybe 7 out of 10. When I swapped the blade sight for a peep sight, adjusted the stock trigger and broke the rifle in, I improved that to 10 out of 10. When I mounted a scope, my 100 yard groups got down to about 1 inch.

A better shooter could conceivably tighten those groups.

BigBadJohn
January 19, 2008, 01:27 AM
"I looked on the bottom of the last gun i bought to see if there was a number to the gun buyers addiction help line and the number was to my gun dealer.:"

Now thats 's funny

marksman13
January 19, 2008, 02:09 AM
I'll throw down my vote for the CZ 452. I've got two now. One in 22Lr and the other in 17 HMR. Both will outshoot anyone who has shot them. Great guns at an awesome price. I'll never buy any other brand of rimfire, except the Browning Buckmark rifle I've wanted since I was a kid.

9mmepiphany
January 19, 2008, 01:44 PM
Joshua M. Smith - what scope is that on your Romo M69?

i really like mine and have to agree that it takes folks by surprise when they see how accurate it is. plus i love the folding leaf sights

it really deserves nicer wood and refinished metal...but as one of my teachers once told me "the Com-Bloc shooter/guns have everything for accuracy and nothing for appearance"

9mmepiphany
January 19, 2008, 01:52 PM
i got a nice .22 bolt action just before X-mas that i've been wanting for decades.

i got an Anschutz M-1712. it is their Silhouette model based on their M-54 action (Olympic class) with 2-stage trigger and heavy barrel.

i put the new Leupold 3-9X32mm ER Ultralight scope on it in their med-height rings and added the aluminum flip-up covers

i think the best balance between the fuction of the Romo M69 and the style of the Anschutz 1700 series is the CZ 452

prime8
January 19, 2008, 02:00 PM
+1 on marlin
Marlin 982vs Love it. 22 mag is the way to go in a bolt gun. I get quarter and nickle size groups at 80 to 100 yds with no wind.I ts a beast on groundhogs, coyotes and more.

Joshua M. Smith
January 19, 2008, 02:10 PM
Joshua M. Smith - what scope is that on your Romo M69?

i really like mine and have to agree that it takes folks by surprise when they see how accurate it is. plus i love the folding leaf sights

it really deserves nicer wood and refinished metal...but as one of my teachers once told me "the Com-Bloc shooter/guns have everything for accuracy and nothing for appearance"

Hello,

It's an FM Optics FM432CRG. Lighted reticle, AO, the works.

I never heard of them, so I decided to try them out. Thus far it's proving itself to be a tough little 'scope, and pretty good for the money. I have few complaints. It has a one year warranty as well.

Should it become necessary to replace it, I have a line on a Weaver V22 for about $60, no bells or whistles, just a solid 'scope.

However, I'm curious by nature, and bought this over the Weaver to try out.

The light gathering ability is such that I went out last night and cut a branch at 25yds. 9:30pm. Overcast sky. In the country. Snow flurries.

I'm impressed thus far, and will be very happy if it holds up.

Josh <><

ernunnos
January 19, 2008, 03:16 PM
The Biathlon Basic is probably the best deal for the money when it comes to varmint .22s. Fat, free-floated, hammer-forged barrel, deep dish crown, baby's breath trigger, and a unique and very slick action. Nothing to do except slap a scope on it and load it up.

Oh, that Russian SV-99 is the Biathlon Basic, just with a different stock and a suppressor.

tasco 74
January 19, 2008, 04:28 PM
i've been making .22 sniper ammo lately with my paco tool.. it makes the bullet exactly .223 dia. at the bands and then opens up the hoolow point nice!! :cool: looks like it should dump almost all energy immediatly (sp) into the target animal..........................

Dobe
January 19, 2008, 06:03 PM
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/rimfireRifles.php

The T/C will be my next .22 auto.

Mainsail
January 20, 2008, 12:05 AM
I looked at a CZ today at Cabella's and damn it was nice. They are asking $380 for it but I don't know which model it was. Now for the big question; The Marlin bolt action is $180 and the CZ is $200 more, does the CZ shoot so much better to justify the extra cost? I like the idea of going cheap, but I also donít want to be selling off the Marlin down the road because itís not as accurate as I would like.

9mmepiphany
January 20, 2008, 01:04 AM
I like the idea of going cheap, but I also don’t want to be selling off the Marlin down the road because it’s not as accurate as I would like.

you didn't originally say you wanted to go cheap. for cheap, while still getting outstanding accuracy, i don't think you can do better than the Romo M-69.

if accuracy is a bigger factor than "pretty", you'd never have to replace it until you're ready for a "match grade rifle"...which gets you into more than twice the money you're looking at spending for a CZ

MAURICE
January 20, 2008, 03:05 AM
Marlin bolt guns have never done me wrong. I slapped a cheapy scope on top of one and after getting it dialed in I coulp pick off rocks on the berm (120 yards) that were no bigger than the average persons fist. Steady hold and good ammo.
For competition (when I was into silhouette shooting) I used a Remington 597 with a free floated bull bbl and laminated stock topped with a BSA scope that ran about 100-125 bucks or so. It was so accurate it was just boring. I do not remember what the rifle itself went for, but I could afford it as a college student so it could not have been too much.

frank c
January 20, 2008, 06:52 AM
I have a Anschutz model 164 sporter in 22 lr. that shoots 1/2 MOA.:)

woad_yurt
January 20, 2008, 07:13 PM
They're cheap and accurate. I gave the Glenfield to my father but still have the stainless Marlin. With a real 3X9 scope, I can hit a 1/2 dollar at 100 yards every time and I'm not the best rifle shot around. I have the scope on see-through rings so I can still use the sights for close up stuff. And, it cost me less than $175 for the whole deal, scope, rifle and all. 11,000,000+ Marlin 60 owners can't all be wrong, right?

BTW, the old Glenfield was a bit heavier (denser wood, mostly) with less kick so I assume it's a wee bit more accurate.

Wildfire
January 20, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hey there:
I'm going to step away from the crowd here. My Ruger 77-22 VBZ with a Weaver 4X16 scope and CCI Green Tags (Sub Sonics) will shoot just over 1/4" at 50 yards and right at 1" at 100 meters. No wind.
The trigger is not what I would like but can be changed. Mine has a Laminated stock and even looks nice too. I did free float the barrel and it shoots the same groups after adjusting the scope back. Not a cheap set up but worth every penny and that one is here to stay.:)

Mainsail
February 14, 2008, 08:11 PM
Well, here it is! I picked up the Savage MkII JTV:
http://img.geocaching.com/user/bf7d56a0-faab-40de-af14-824e363943ae.jpg
http://img.geocaching.com/user/c25a646f-f0af-4f5e-b3b9-fc6a273f378f.jpg

Keb
February 17, 2008, 05:27 PM
I just picked up a Miroku Winchester 52b Sporter. I have a bunch of 22's that I test between each other....non are expensive. You all know how they shoot. Mostly Mossbergs circa 1960's. I can get 1 1/4 inches at 64 yards. That is my range length for opening up on prairie dogs.

Well, I started at 50 yards on the 52b, got some good shots with hunting Remington Gold bulk, then tried to change the windage on the cheap 6x Tasco which came on the rifle, and the stem started coming off rather than the plastic cap. So I put on an 80's Scopechief VI and then went to 90 yards to see if it shoots well at that distance. ( That is the max range here for my bullet trap. )

Hey, I was pleasantly surprised.
The busy target is moving the range turret up, the last shots are highlighted in orange with arrows. I could take this out "dog" hunting along with the 17HMR!

Picture link:
http://groups.msn.com/THEGUNROOM/kebscolorado.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1375
my only grip with the rifle is that the magazine doesn't stay seated

dagger dog
February 17, 2008, 07:13 PM
mainsail,
can accuracy and beauty be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to rifles? some of the most accurate rim fires in.22 cal. look like something out of the lab of Baron Von Frankenstien, the same goes with accurate factory box stock rifles.

i'll cast another vote for the Savage MKII with the heavy bbl and accutrigger,
man is it ugly but it shoots! a good scope costs more than the rifle,feed it some Eley ammo and it really takes some doing to hold it steady enough to get the same groups that you can shoot off the bench usually ragged one holers.
if your really into the"sniper" (this has to be one of the most worn out words in the shooting sports)thing ,try some Agulia Sniper Sub Sonic, this load has a 60gr.lead RN extra long bullet loaded into a .22 long case to give the same OAL of a .22 long rifle round loaded to 950 fps. very quiet and shoots a rainbow like trajectory. it's fun to shoot at 100yrds. you can pull off a round rack another into the chamber and then hear the impact of the first one on the target.

have fun always

daggerdog

22-rimfire
February 17, 2008, 07:16 PM
Good luck with your Savage. It is not a bad choice for the price. Having more than one 22 rifle is not an issue for me. You can always get another one. Enjoy this one first.

Mainsail
March 5, 2008, 02:06 PM
The scope is mounted:
http://img.geocaching.com/user/9e51049a-d03b-4a07-a94e-96734fb3dcee.jpg

Mainsail
March 9, 2008, 11:09 PM
I got out today and worked on getting the scope sighted in. I didn’t use any fancy ammunition, just some Remington YellowJacket hollow points. I was shooting off a rest, 85 yards, light winds.
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/a1f43e5a-e21b-4e94-9c71-9f665fe06825.jpg
Minute of golf ball:
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/cd7a9901-b966-49cb-b4f1-4190b1fdfb45.jpg

Noricus
October 1, 2010, 03:57 PM
It seems the TOZ (http://www.tulatoz.ru/en/toz78.html) is not very much known in the US of A. Well, I am a proud owner of a TOZ 78-04 for a couple of years now and I am still astonished what I can accomplish with this rifle - provided there's not too much wind while shooting. On the other hand - the windy stuff seperates the plinker from a marksman. Its all ballistics at the end.
Recently, I've added an AKAH-scope (http://www.akah.de/structure_default/main.asp/G/111327/A/1/S//R/0/L/1031/N/-1/ON/1476897/ID/1679789/M/2/P/0) and a Harris bipod to this baby - and I am somewhat dissappointed now:
I don't think there's much more I could do to get it even better :D
I bought the TOZ for EUR 320, the scope was about EUR 350, Bipod some EUR 120.
Out to 250 meters I could most likely hit a dime - and I don't think I could ask for more.
Give that TOZ a try - you cannot get more accuracy for this price tag.

Side note:
My .22 likes RWS subsonic (http://championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=32) best.

AMerexican
October 1, 2010, 04:03 PM
Check the cmp :)

millertyme
October 1, 2010, 04:21 PM
I was going to recommend the CZ 452 or some other quality .22LR bolt gun like a Ruger 77/22.

PT1911
October 1, 2010, 04:32 PM
IT LIVES!!!!!

Who has a match? we will need fire to put this one down...:D

While I am here, I will say that I just put a 452 on order in 17 mach II and now I anxiously await its arrival.

JHK94
October 1, 2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah, today is the day of old threads...

But , I also have a TOZ, a TOZ-17-01, and it is amazing. It was 100 dollars, pretty much mint condition. Using my cheap-o BSA Panther scope, I can get 1/4 inch groups at 25 years....at least when I'm concentrating just right.

Norrick
October 2, 2010, 06:00 AM
T-Bolts are a bit pricey but I love mine. I have a varmint model in nickel/stainless/laminated. Free floated glass bedded from the factory. Best trigger I've felt on a rimfire (I would say about the same as accutrigger in terms of crispness, but less overtravel, and a touch heavier). The coolest thing about the straight pull action is you can shoot it lefty when you're feeling like switching things up. Its so easy to operate. (or vice versa if you are using a lefty model)

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/40rty5ive/DSCF0533.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/40rty5ive/DSCF0538.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/40rty5ive/DSCF0539.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/40rty5ive/DSCF0544.jpg

This is a typical 50 yard group using good ammo (this was wolf but it will do near the same with some bulk).
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/40rty5ive/2010-06-29134039.jpg

This is a 100 yard group. I think it could do better TBH (wolf match again).
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/40rty5ive/2010-06-29171622.jpg

garyhan
October 2, 2010, 08:42 AM
If you're looking for a real first class tack driver, Rembrandt has it right. Competition shooting with .22's is highly refined and the winning shooters use the best equipment. My choice would be Anschutz. If one were looking for a true sniping rifle,bearing in mind that ranges would have to be kept under 100 yds for the cartridge to be effective, you could do quite well with many of the sporting rifles mentioned. My Winchester Wildcat, equipped with 6x Leupold and Spectre suppressor (silencer), weighs under 6 pounds and shoots 1/2" at 50 yds with RWS subsonic hollow points (or Winchester Power Points for non-suppressed use). I think it would do all that could be expected of a .22lr sniper, and it serves me well in the hunting field.

gary

Caliper_RWVA
October 2, 2010, 12:08 PM
Iím thinking in the 50 to 100 yard range, even though that may be pushing the envelope for the mighty .22 LR.

You must be confusing this with a pellet gun. ;)
50 yards is easy minute of muskrat in my pond, of course that is without wind.

Love that T-bolt! Want one but, the price! :eek:

exdetsgt
December 8, 2010, 09:18 PM
I just bought a CZ 452 Trainer w/24.8" barrel from Bud's Guns in Kentucky for $347. Local gun shop had the Lux for $525. It appears that the two rifles have identical barrels and actions; the only difference seems to be in the stocks (beechwood vs. walnut?). I fell in love with 22LR rifles the other day when I went to the range in Douglas, AZ for a rimfire competition shoot and got to try out some really nice rifles. My old West Point (Savage) couldn't play with those folks so I decided to get a CZ after multiple recommendations to do so, and at once. Hope I've done the right thing.

Should be here next week. I'll post a couple of pics.

d2wing
December 8, 2010, 09:45 PM
The most accurate of several inexpensive .22's I've shot is a CZ 452 Lux (not counting an Anschutz that was over $3000.00) I did need to free float the barrel with a little sanding. It took about 200 rounds and some cleaning to get it to perform. Check the rimfire matches.

exdetsgt
December 8, 2010, 09:56 PM
d2wing, are you saying it's difficult to get the bore clean on a CZ? Maybe you could give me a tip or two as I'm new to the rifle world.

d2wing
December 9, 2010, 02:27 PM
Not difficult, You just remove the bolt and push the rod from the rear. I always clean the barrel more frequently when breaking one in. Some have said that the 452 comes with gunk in the barrel that needs to be cleaned out.
That's true of many rifles.
But it did take a couple hundred rounds for it to shot well and also the stock was snug on one side so I had to sand that spot to completely free float the barrel. That's also something to check on a wood stock rifle.
Some rifles are good to go from the first shot, some need a little breaking in.

trultemor
December 9, 2010, 02:47 PM
Sako quad, hands down.

exdetsgt
December 9, 2010, 07:56 PM
D2wing, thanks for the advice. Now I'll proceed correctly.

CZguy
December 9, 2010, 09:12 PM
But it did take a couple hundred rounds for it to shot well and also the stock was snug on one side so I had to sand that spot to completely free float the barrel. That's also something to check on a wood stock rifle.
Some rifles are good to go from the first shot, some need a little breaking in.

Hold up.........before you sand the barrel channel, see how it shoots first. All CZs (452s anyway) have the barrel touching the stock on the left hand side. And they seem to shoot really well that way.

Stop by Rimfire Central for more info on this topic.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 LR Sniper Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!