S&W Model 629 Revisions

PDA

MrPhil
July 28, 2003, 11:47 PM
I just purchased a 6-year-old S&W 629-4. I like the way it shoots and feel the price was right. I also own a 686-3. Where can I learn about all the changes made with each rev? Smith's web site doesn't have this info. Please point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Phil

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 629 Revisions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
July 29, 2003, 09:33 AM
Purchase a book: " Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Second Edition) by Jim Supica & Richard Nahas. "

It has all the information you want on your guns, and almost every S&W made since 1857. For example: The model 629-4 was made between 1993 through 1997. Changes over time included, changes to the butt (going from square to round); modified rear rear sight, extractor and thumb piece; Hogue grips (on some guns); providing a blue plastic shipping case on round butt models; and providing an external trigger lock.

Since the book has provided clues to scarce (and sometimes more valuable) variants it has more then paid for itself.

Ala Dan
July 29, 2003, 02:25 PM
Greeting's All-

I concur with Old Fuff, as the book mentioned is
a definitive study of all Smith & Wesson firearms
and accesories. I use my copy virtually everyday; and
its a good investment!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

MrPhil
July 29, 2003, 11:19 PM
I knew you guys would send me down the right road.
Thank you very much.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 629 Revisions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!