$300 NRA life membership

PDA

tuckerdog1
January 17, 2008, 06:25 PM
1st, please do not turn this into an NRA bash. If you're not interested, move along to another thread.

I'm a life member, and got my new membership card in the mail today. As with the last couple, it came with an offer to give life memberships to friends & family for $300.
That's less than I paid almost 20 yrs ago. It's normally $1,000 now.

Anyway, seems I recall on another thread about this, there were some that asked to take advantage of this offer when it came around again.

I called the NRA with a couple questions. 1st, can just anybody call & take advantage of this offer. Told "NO". Has to be done through a current life member.
2nd, the flyer I got has space for 4 people. I asked if I was limited to 4. Could not get a solid answer. One lady said there was a control number on the offers & that number was needed. The 4 on my flyer all have the same control number. She is sending me another flyer. So I guess I'll be able to do at least 8 if that many were interested. 3rd, I asked if this could be done on the easy pay, which I think is $25/month until paid off. Told "NO", gotta pay all up front. Was also told the jacket that comes as a promo with the $1,000 membership, is not included.

IGNORE bit about keeping it local in the next paragraph. Gonna try and do this for anybody that wants to.

Now I wouldn't want this to turn into a logistical nightmare, with anybody sending $$$ my way. I don't want to touch anybody's money. So I will keep this local. Maybe others can make a similar offer in their area. I live about 30 miles north of Austin TX. If your interested, PM me, and we can work something out. The flyer I got says by Feb.15th.

Tuckerdog1

If you enjoyed reading about "$300 NRA life membership" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Amish_Bill
January 17, 2008, 07:18 PM
That's an awfully nice offer. :-)

I'm on an EPL right now... not even sure how much I have left. I somehow doubt they'd credit me with what I've already paid in, eh?

I'm curious how many take you up on this.

dralarms
January 17, 2008, 07:24 PM
While I don't want to take you up on the offer I would like one of those forms so I can get my wfe's membership upgraded.

Bazooka Joe71
January 17, 2008, 07:38 PM
I don't have a membership because of the $1,000.00 price tag...I would pay $300 right now for one.

Urbana John
January 17, 2008, 07:52 PM
I got a notice from NRA last week---have been a Life Member for 15 or so years and for $175 I could get an Endowment membership with some other "goodies".
I jumped on it like a "red headed step child"!!
I got my Life membership when it was $300 and I could make payments!!
I thought this offer was good, and I know, because of the US Sepreme court, they are needed all the $$ they can come up with to fight OUR cause.

UJ

AZ-K9
January 17, 2008, 07:53 PM
Any way to put your local area in the thread title? Would have saved me two minutes of valuable net browsing.:)

Stevie-Ray
January 17, 2008, 08:03 PM
I just signed up for a 3 year plan. I would have been extremely interested in getting somebody's in my area.

That's a fine offer.;)

tuckerdog1
January 17, 2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry about that AZ-K9. Pretty thoughtless of me:evil:

Tuckerdog1

AZAndy
January 17, 2008, 08:49 PM
Hmmm.... that's almost worth the drive from AZ...

zoom6zoom
January 17, 2008, 11:58 PM
I just got a similar one offering an upgrade from Endowment to Patron.

loki.fish
January 18, 2008, 12:05 AM
Only thing stopping me is the $1,000 price tag on it as well. I'd be all over a $300 lifetime fee. Somebody from Indiana go join up and offer this same courtesy. :D :neener:

joe4702
January 18, 2008, 12:36 AM
I got the $175 Endowment Member deal and now they just sent me an offer for Patron Membership for $250. I understand they are trying to raise money, but I have mixed feelings about it, since it sorta cheapens these "high level" memberships. Patron Membership would normally be $1500. I guess if I had bought a Patron memberhship in the past, I might be sorta peeved that they are selling them for 80% off.

toivo
January 18, 2008, 02:22 AM
So when somebody gets the $300 life membership, can they turn right around and sign up four more? There are a couple of life members in our gun club, and I can imagine the whole club going "life" by the next meeting.

scubasigguy
January 18, 2008, 02:29 AM
PM sent for details.

SomeKid
January 18, 2008, 02:58 AM
$1000 for 1 Life member.
$300 for the next 4 life memberships, or $1200.

$2200 for 5 life memberships.

2200/5= $440 per person. I wish I had known about this trick before I started my EPL.

$440 for an NRA life would be nice. Maybe make it 400 for 4, and 600 for 1, the 1 who pays extra gets the jacket. Heck, it would be cheaper to pull this trick still, since I haven't put much on my EPL. Any locals to the Chattanooga area want to get together and get cheap NRA life memberships?

230RN
January 18, 2008, 05:42 AM
It's not just the money. It's the membership numbers, as well.

The more the merrier.... and the more powerful.

Makes an 800 pound gorilla in the Beltway a 1000 pound gorilla.

You... are the Gun Lobby.

tuckerdog1
January 18, 2008, 07:42 AM
I'm at work with about a 5 minute break in the action. I've had several PMs. I'll respond to each later when I get home. All but one are out of state. And the one in state isn't exactly local ( TX is a big place ). But I would like to make this work for as many as possible. So maybe I can do this for out of the area folks. I may have to get more flyers from the NRA.

Any other life members that got this offer, if you're inclined, jump in. I'm fearful that once I extend this I may get swamped. And not even sure how many the NRA is gonna allow me to do.

Tuckerdog1

-C4-
January 18, 2008, 10:39 AM
I'd get a life membership for $300.

JohnMcD348
January 18, 2008, 11:34 AM
I feel kinda cheated. I've been a life member for almost 20 years now and all I ever get from them is my monthly magazine and requests for more money. I did get and sent in the Endowment upgrade about a year ago and got a wind breaker for it. I never get any of the sign new members stuff and the last time I got a new card was with my Endowment membership. I put it in my wallet next to my nearly 20 year old Life card.

waterhouse
January 18, 2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the offer. I sent you a PM.

Phil DeGraves
January 18, 2008, 12:47 PM
I'm not a Life Member but I've been a subscribing member forever. They just sent me an offer to upgrade to life membership for half price.

Valkman
January 18, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'm on an EPL right now... not even sure how much I have left. I somehow doubt they'd credit me with what I've already paid in, eh?

They did back in '95 when I was on it. I'd only made a couple of payments when they offered me Life for $500. I got to subtract my 2 $25 payments and send a check for $450. I've since upgraded to Endowment and Patron.

tuckerdog1
January 18, 2008, 03:58 PM
Okay, just got off the phone with "Bob" at the life member services line at the NRA.

Told him I had more friends wanting to do the $300 deal than I had flyers for. Told him I needed a solid YES or NO if there was a limit on the number of people I could do this for. He says I can sign up as many as I want. Also said to just make copies of the flyer I got in the mail if I needed to.

So there we go. I guess I'll just open this to anyone that wants to do it.

But as I said earlier, I don't want to have my hands on anybody's money. So here's how I'll do this.

Send me a PM and I'll respond with my mailing and contact info.

Send a check for the $300 made out to the NRA.

The form I have to fill out for each person asks for the following info. Please be sure to include this:

NAME: ( DUH )
ADDRESS: ( STREET,CITY,STATE,ZIP )
PHONE: ( Probably optional. But does not say )
EMAIL ADDRESS: ( Also probably optional. But does not say )

MAGAZINE CHOICE:
American Rifleman
American Hunter
America's 1st Freedom

I'd like to let you know that I got your check when it arrives. Be sure I have some way to contact you ( other than snail mail ). Email or phone would be good:rolleyes: If you don't want me to include that on the application, just say so & I'll leave it off. Unless made clear with the PMs, I might have trouble matching up real names vs THR usernames.

If you don't pick a magazine, I'll try and clear that up before I send it all in. But if I can't get in touch with you, I'll default to AMERICAN RIFLEMAN. It's easy enough to switch later if you want to.

It says by the 15th of Feb. I'd send it FedEx,and go to the wire. But the address is a P.O. Box. And FedEx can't deliver to a P.O. box. So I want to allow plenty of stem time for the USPS.
I'd like to have it in the mail by Feb 6th. So that gives everybody a little more than two weeks. I hope that's enough time for anybody that's interested.

Gonna go reply to the PMs I have waiting now.

Tuckerdog1

S4Lee
January 18, 2008, 07:35 PM
Just a thought, if you can make as many copies as you need, why not just scan and post the flyer for anyone to print and send in themselves? Or does the flyer have to come from you? My initial thought was that the NRA could bill the individuals on the flyer afterwards, but I guess they want the check w/ the flyer? Either of these would be much less hassle for you.

Thanks for the offer, btw!

Happy
January 18, 2008, 07:45 PM
If any life members want to call me a friend, I'd be all over this.

jetman
January 18, 2008, 07:52 PM
I just got a special offer in the mail from the NRA for a lifetime for myself for $500, and bought it. I've been a year to year member for about 5 years and decided to take the deal. For an incentive they are giving out NRA knives for 1 year renewals, I think it was a golf shirt for a 3 year and a jacket for a life member.

tuckerdog1
January 18, 2008, 08:34 PM
S4Lee ,

I asked the NRA folks if anybody could do this. They said it had to be done through a life member. One side of the "original" flyer has a bunch of info that pertains to me. It "might" be necessary to have that part in with the mailing. Maybe not. But I'd hate for somebody to get denied because I didn't want to fill out a few forms. Really no big deal ( at this point anyway ).

Tuckerdog1

dogrunner
January 18, 2008, 11:13 PM
Just sure as anything as soon as I state this complaint the dang thing'l arrive.

I wrote a 300 dollar check for a Legacy Life membership for my 11 year old nephew in the first week of December.......hoping to be able to give it to the kid for Christmas............its now past the middle of Jan. & still no membership packet. I have spoken to the NRA three times about this and I keep getting told it'd been sent.

I also got an offer to upgrade to Endowment for the 175 but they are going to have to produce one BEFORE they're going to see two!

Further, they did send the knife.......looks good and in a nice wooden case.........the only thing wrong is its clearly marked CHINA. Now what in hell is wrong with sending an AMERICAN product.........Would've made my day to see "Buck" or "Gerber".......or even just MITUSA.

Now maybe I'm being a picky old fart, but when I spend three bills...don't get what I've paid for and get tossed something I could've bought at Wally World for five bucks I tend to get a little aggravated..............well, its a Friday........I'll give it till Monday and then I intend to call LaPierre's office.................Anyone else have this problem????

Oh, yeah.......I also experienced the "now you're a LM...so we can forget about you" attitude. Ratty old ID was nearly unreadable but the new one arrived last week......along with a request to donate or upgrade.......Now I truly believe in the NRA, been a member since being in the boy scouts in the '50's..but this sort of approach is a guaranteed way to piss off the membership..........talk about being taken for granted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btg3
January 19, 2008, 12:13 AM
I'm thinking I'd like to give my son a life membership.

Also, wonder with such a deep discount if the NRA is on sound financial footing? Do they publish financial statements?

230RN
January 19, 2008, 02:02 AM
^^^^

Do so. I again point out that part of it is the membership count. The NRA is gearing up for a very big push from all conceivable angles from the anti RKBA forces in the next couple of years.

And let's be realistic here. Part of it also is the expansion of the mailing list, with its attendant requests for donations, etc. But also for the specific alerts with respect to your own State's Legislature, among other things. You can request not to be contacted for any of this stuff, or you can just ignore it if you wish.

And let's face it, if only three out a thousand new LMs get really active and dedicated in the RKBA fight (as opposed to merely plinking off their back porch), the discounts and additional mailout costs will be well worth it in the long run. You can be sure that the NRA has done market research on this kind of thing.

I signed up my two sons, and it took almost a month and a half for their Life Memberships to arrive. Don't forget that a major time sink is setting up subscriptions, which process is not and cannot be instantaneous.

It's not like popping a clutch.

BobMcG
January 19, 2008, 02:27 AM
It is a great offer especially for young people, but I'll just keep plugging along at my five year membership blocks.

tuckerdog1
January 19, 2008, 08:13 AM
Dogrunner,

I can understand the frustration. I'm sure it will get worked out. Just sorry you're having to jump through hoops to get it fixed.
I give a lot of annual memberships as Christmas & birthday gifts. Only once was there a problem. The guy I'd given the membership to said he gotten a card from the NRA letting him know about the gift membership. But after that, several months passed and nothing. I was able to get it corrected with one phone call.

Tuckerdog1

Donut
January 20, 2008, 02:45 AM
PM inbound, tuckerdog. :D

marklbucla
January 22, 2008, 07:57 PM
I just did it over the phone using my dad's member number. There was no mention of flyers or anything. Furthermore, the person didn't want to upgrade my current annual membership, just issue me a new one.

(877) NRA-2008

tuckerdog1
January 24, 2008, 02:49 PM
Want to bump this up once, as time is running short. I want to be sure anyone that might want to take advantage, sees this and is aware of the offer.

Response has been kinda low. Maybe folks are connecting with friends that are life members & doing it locally.

I've had 12 people contact me about this. Two are local, I have all their stuff & they're set to go. There are several that sound like they are on board, but their stuff ( check to the NRA & info ) has not arrived yet. But they are not local, and with the holiday on Monday, the mail may be taking longer. Be nice to see a couple more envelopes in the maibox later today. There are also a couple guys that are a little tight on funds, but are going to try and pull it together in time. One guy says he's gonna get by on bologna sandwiches for awhile to get on board. There's sacrifice for ya:D There is a guy around Dallas that has 3 friends that also want to do it. He has asked for a copy of the application to fill out & send in himself ( at least I think that's his intent ). If he does that & it works, I hope he let's me know. Because next time I get this offer, I'll just copy & send the forms to whoever wants one. It's just that the NRA people I talked to about this said it had to be channeled through a life member.

Tuckerdog1

GearHead_1
January 24, 2008, 03:49 PM
I just got a similar one offering an upgrade from Endowment to Patron.

I too got this offer but was not interested in the screaming eagle nylon jacket they were offering with the upgraded membership. I called and asked if I might pay the difference in price between the value of the screaming eagle jacket and get another NRA leather jacket. I've had a Lifetime Member jacket for years and mine is getting pretty worn. No dice, they wouldn't even consider it and I'm not one to argue. I understand that packages are put together and organizations don't want to be bogged down with order changes. I also know that sometimes when a fair offer is made and the organization gives you a blanket "no" response that perhaps they are not in touch with the needs of their members. I ordered a new leather jacket while it was on sale and passed on the upgraded membership. :cool:

nplant
January 24, 2008, 08:14 PM
Tuckerdog1 -

Keep watching your mailbox. I sent you my info and check.

Dysfunctional Individual
January 24, 2008, 09:28 PM
You can get a $500 life membership by signing up for one year and waiting for the inevitable upgrade offers at half off. The one-year memberships come free with some firearm purchases and possibly via other methods. The $500 upgrade comes with a jacket and all other benefits.

lawson4
February 5, 2008, 03:15 PM
Tuckerdog1, just sent a pm

lawson4

tuckerdog1
February 5, 2008, 04:25 PM
A couple new PMs arrived today. Both replied to.

At this late date, anybody that wants to do this will miss the mailing on the 6th. However, I'd still like to get it done for as many as possible.

So PM me if you'd still like to get in. This late in the game, the info would almost have to be sent to me via some kind of 1 or 2 day delivery, so I could get it by Saturday the
9th. With the deadline being the 15th, I'd be real uncomfortable sending in a 2nd round of applications, any later than Monday the 11th.

Tuckerdog1

American_Pit_Bull
February 5, 2008, 04:43 PM
Tucker, not to step on your thread, but I am all for boosting NRA memberships.

Here is the SIGforum thread (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4341073311) where Steve, Dr. Ken Lunde and another member have signed up 41 new Life Members.

dralarms
February 5, 2008, 04:45 PM
I got my form in and signed up as a endowment member, and signed my wife up as a life member, next year I'll sign my son and daughter up as life members if the same offer is made.

GearHead_1
February 5, 2008, 06:23 PM
O.K. I caved, I wasn't going to do it but I upgraded my status to that of a Patron Member. We voted here in Utah today and I just couldn't stand the pressure I was putting on myself while considering the fate of the country with the political changes we face. I guess it's the least I could do. :p

tuckerdog1
February 5, 2008, 06:35 PM
American_Pit_Bull ,

No problem at all. Wish I was aware of that earlier. Because of the cost of some sort of express delivery to get info & check to my location in time, it's still probably cheaper to pay the PayPal premium. Plus it's less likely to get there late by going through me at this late date. Steve Aikens is probably the better way to go now.

Tuckerdog1

ChickenHawk
February 5, 2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the effort, Tuckerdog!!

Chickenhawk

tuckerdog1
February 5, 2008, 07:32 PM
My pleasure Chickenhawk. Nothing new in the mailbox today. So all those folks I've contacted about receiving their info, it's going to the post office tomorrow. Not even gonna risk putting it in the mailbox & waiting for the mailman.

Tuckerdog1

ADKWOODSMAN
February 5, 2008, 07:52 PM
$300 what a deal. I purchased my Life membership in 1970 for $125 spread out over 3 years. $1 a week paid quarterly.

They got me to upgrade to Endowment life in 2000 for an additional $200, another great deal!!!

Well-Armed Lamb
February 5, 2008, 10:02 PM
I just checked in with Steve Aikens. He's been completely overwhelmed with requests -- his information has been posted to multiple forums (nine at last count), and he can't keep up with it all, so he asks that THR members go through somebody on THR, rather than him. I'm posting this here in the hopes that it cuts down on the email he has to weed through.

I really wish I'd seen this before today. PMing Tuckerdog1! (If anybody else can help him out, I'm sure those of us who're late to get the news would appreciate it.)

lunde
February 6, 2008, 10:36 AM
For those reading this thread, there is an online form for this. The paper form is not necessary. You can also call in. See: http://www.nra-activate.com/

The form recognizes your current NRA membership status, and the options that appear on the page that follows depend on your membership level. For example, if you are Life or above (meaning Life, Endowment, Patron, or Benefactor), you will be presented the option to buy Life Memberships for others, or to upgrade to the next membership level ($175 for Life to Endowment, $250 for Endowment to Patron, and $250 for Patron to Benefactor). If you do not want to upgrade yourself, but still want to purchase a Life Membership for others, simply click the "I cannot accept any special offers but please activate my 2008 NRA Membership card anyway." radio button, then the "Continue Activating" button. You will be prompted for giving a Life Membership until you click on the "Continue Activating" button with a blank form. You can thus use the online form to buy as many Life Memberships for others as you want.

For those on EPL with more than $300 left to pay, a current fully-paid Life Member must call in to do this, which will also terminate your remaining EPL obligation. In other words, the paper and online forms cannot be used for such cases.

Given what I wrote above, I hope that someone on this forum can use this information to more easily sponsor other forum members.

tuckerdog1
February 6, 2008, 04:49 PM
Just FYI for all those that mailed early ( You know who you are, I've contacted you all, and confirmed receipt of your check & info ).

The applications went out today as promised.

Tuckerdog1

Well-Armed Lamb
February 6, 2008, 06:09 PM
I'm now an NRA Life Member! For those who don't have an NRA membership to upgrade, or have a good friend who's a Life Member, or have time to get a package out to TuckerDog1, here's what worked for me:

Find a local NRA Life Member. I made two phone calls: my favorite gun shop (they didn't have one on hand) and one of the local ranges (the owner, an NRA recruiter and Life Member, was happy to help once he understood what I wanted).
Get the Life Member's membership number, name, and address.
Say, "Thank you very much."
Call the NRA at (877) NRA-2008.
When the nice person working the phones answers and asks for your membership number, say, "I'm joining as a Life Member through the $300 referral promotion," and give the membership number of your friendly Life Member.
Give the verifying information, which is your friendly Life Member's name and address. (This is why you needed that information. Be sure you know how to spell the friendly Life Member's name!)
When prompted, give your name, address, and choice of magazine. Then give your credit card number.
Laugh as the NRA welcomes you to Life Membership, and immediately hits you up for the first of many additional donations. :)

I wasn't an NRA member at all when I woke up this morning, but I'm a Life Member now! Thanks to tuckerdog1 for starting the thread, and marklbucla for reporting that the phone-in route works.

tuckerdog1
February 9, 2008, 04:36 PM
For those that might be curious how this turned out.

I was contacted by 17 THR members. Of those 17, 11 were able to participate. One sent two checks, so his girlfriend could get a life membership. That's 12 new life members that went through me. There were also two others that initially intended to go through me, but found a way to do it locally. That brings it to 14. One of those two in an early contact intended to also get a membership for his Mom. In his last contact, where he told me he'd found a more convient way, he did not mention his Mom. But she is a potential 15th. And finally, one fellow in Dallas wanted to send the application himself. He also said he had 3 friends that were going to do it as well. Don't know if they followed through, or if it's going to work ( not going through a life member ). But the potential for 4 more could bring it to 19.

So 14 for sure, 15 likely & 19 possible.

And for all that I mailed applications for, I of course hope everything goes smoothly with the NRA getting the memberships processed. But if there are any glitches, PM or email me & I'll see if there is anything I can do to help.

Tuckerdog1

NetJunkie
February 9, 2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks Tucker. I really do appreciate it.

TexasRifleman
February 9, 2008, 06:14 PM
So 14 for sure, 15 likely & 19 possible.

Tucker you win the prize for doing the most to advance the cause.

Fantastic!

waterhouse
February 9, 2008, 06:52 PM
I'd like to also say thanks, both because I benefited personally and for the work you put in to get everyone else signed up. Great work.

jakemccoy
February 9, 2008, 08:31 PM
I didn't read the rest of the thread. However, I'm in northern Cali. I'd like to take advantage of such an offer.

Happy
February 9, 2008, 09:54 PM
Thank you Tuckerdog1,
I greatly appreciate the savings and the opportunity in becoming a life member.

-H

Ala Dan
February 9, 2008, 10:09 PM
'got my NRA Life Membership on September 9th, 1975 for only $125; paid out
in three installments -which by the way at the time, was the exact same price as a NIB Satin Colt Combat Commander in 9m/m or .45 ACP from the old Woolco store #6237; located in Bessemer, AL.

dsgrntldPW
February 9, 2008, 10:25 PM
For those of you that signed up a friend or relative for $300 and still have not received an activation packet, be patient. I signed up my daughter Oct. 18th and finally got the packet last week. When I called about 3 weeks ago they told me they were overwhelmed and had to print up more packets. They must be signing up new members hand over fist, a good thing. Now if the NRA can approach the membership numbers of the AARP, which I think is around 30 million, we may really have some clout given that we are pretty much rated as about the most effective lobby now.

Many bitch about the NRA as soft, but we live in a world where negotiation and compromise is sometimes necessary to further overall goals. Baby steps. And the bigger the 800 pound gorilla gets, the less we have to negotiate. Thank you all for joining.

Autolycus
February 9, 2008, 11:13 PM
Good job. This is a hell of a deal.

whitetiger7654
February 10, 2008, 12:28 AM
Anxiously, waiting a couple packets from the NRA and still looking for bags of cash laying around.

vynx
February 10, 2008, 12:49 AM
I just signed up as a life member for $500 last week. Oh well. I do get a free jacket. This promotion is going on until Feb 14th I think.

I haven't received anything back frm the NRA yet but I'll keep an eye out for those $300 membership offers.

vynx
February 10, 2008, 12:51 AM
I just signed up as a life member for $500 last week. Oh well. I do get a free jacket. This promotion is going on until Feb 14th I think.

I haven't received anything back frm the NRA yet but I'll keep an eye out for those $300 membership offers.

I'm in Southern California if that matters.

Vector
February 10, 2008, 01:01 AM
I am a member, but never had an interest in becoming a life member. The way I look at it is I still have some economic say by paying every year, and if the NRA goes in a direction I am not comfortable with, I can choose not to renew. However once you pay a life membership, even a discounted one, you lose that ability.

So while I am not critical of those who decide to join for life, I choose not to.

TexasRifleman
February 10, 2008, 01:07 AM
However once you pay a life membership, even a discounted one, you lose that ability.

But once you pay for a life membership you can vote, and have some actual input. No one will notice if you don't renew, but they will notice if you vote.

Something to think about anyway.

ChickenHawk
February 10, 2008, 01:24 AM
Thanks Tuckerdog1 !!!

ChickenHawk

MaterDei
February 11, 2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks to Tuckerdog1 I'm now a life member as well. I'm 43 years old and unless something goes seriously wrong I'll get a lot a value for this $300.

Thanks again t-dog1!

tuckerdog1
February 11, 2008, 06:32 PM
You're very welcome MaterDei.

He's additional to the number listed in the results post above. Also have a couple more we may be able to slip in under the deadline.

If you'd still like to do this, but thought you'd run out of time, PM me. We might be able to get it done.

Tuckerdog1

Gun Slinger
February 12, 2008, 04:12 PM
Score one more for tuckerdog!

Just got off the phone with tuckerdog1 and then the NRA and I am now an NRA Life Member thanks to tuckerdog1. He is truly a great guy for doing this for those of us who are interested in taking advantage of this opportunity.

There is still time to do this if you want to, but time is running very, very short on this one folks.

I would be remiss in my obligation to him if I failed to take the opportunity to thank him here for doing this for me so:

Thank you very much T-dog! You rule! :) :) :)

All the best to you and yours!

JohnBT
February 12, 2008, 04:27 PM
"Was also told the jacket that comes as a promo with the $1,000 membership, is not included."

Can you wear a large?
I think it's a large, might be xl. Probably about a size 40 if I had to guess.

I tried it on and kept on wearing my Coronado leather jacket.

PM me if I forget to check back by here.

John
NRA Patron

-C4-
February 12, 2008, 04:43 PM
Just signed up. Took less than 5 minutes.

Will Fennell
February 12, 2008, 07:26 PM
After reading this thread, I called and upgraded my wife from a yearly membership, to a LM. I was lucky, my Grandfather signed me up as a LM when I was 8;)

10 Ring Tao
February 12, 2008, 08:48 PM
What are the tangible benefits of life membership?

Do you get a magazine and insurance coverages for life?

JohnBT
February 12, 2008, 09:10 PM
Those, and a better quality of junk mail... :)

strat81
February 12, 2008, 11:04 PM
Tuckerdog, you forgot me! I found out about the promo from this thread and got the form from my FIL. However, he didn't send me the envelope! Tuckerdog provided me with the mailing address. So that's 1 more life member and I signed up 3 other people for annual memberships.

I AM THE NRA!

Javelin
February 12, 2008, 11:15 PM
Put me in on the tally! As of today I now am officially a Life NRA member thanks to Tuckerdog1. And right now the NRA really needs the funds to continue the RTKBA campaign.

Thanks again Tuckerdog1!

:)

Cesiumsponge
February 12, 2008, 11:45 PM
Any of the new life members willing to "pass it on" by making the same offer to those of us that can't part with $300 right now?

I don't think I can throw down for a membership in time right now...maybe later this month or early March.

American_Pit_Bull
February 12, 2008, 11:59 PM
Any of the new life members willing to "pass it on" by making the same offer to those of us that can't part with $300 right now?Which "same offer" are you referring to?

Cesiumsponge
February 13, 2008, 12:16 AM
The offer of allowing others to apply for the $300 lifetime membership offered to friends/family of a current NRA life member. Maybe I skipped a detail or two and have an incorrect view of this process/offer?

American_Pit_Bull
February 13, 2008, 12:33 AM
The offer of allowing others to apply for the $300 lifetime membership offered to friends/family of a current NRA life member. Maybe I skipped a detail or two and have an incorrect view of this process/offer?The "maybe later this month or early March" part of your post threw me off...

The NRA Life Membership offer ends in two days.

Cesiumsponge
February 13, 2008, 12:38 AM
How often does this offer pop up for current NRA life members? I guess I have to catch the next train.

Gun Slinger
February 13, 2008, 02:00 AM
Cesiumsponge,

My (rather limited) understanding is that this does occur occasionally (maybe once a year or so:confused:) for those who have NRA Life Member status. Being as I am brand new to this, (a tuckerdog1 convert myself!) I would be willing to extend the very same courtesy to those on this board since I am not willing to let tuckerdog1's kindness go unrepeated and unanswered.;)

My plan would be to first clear with the NRA that anyone wanting to take advantage of the reduced price NRA Life Membership offer could provide them with my NRA membership number, or even more simply, my name as pre-approved by the NRA, and then proceed from there and complete the application process since that is how I handled it today with both tuckerdog1's permission and the NRA's cooperation. I really think that it could be as simple as it was for me today.

Perhaps we could even enlist the assistance of those who benefitted from tuckerdog's generous offer this time around and have a group of names/NRA member numbers that the NRA would use for the purpose of extending the offer to THR members with the appropriate prior NRA approval of course.

Obviously, those wishing to take advantage of this opportunity would need to use their credit card or enroll in some sort of a monthly "payment plan" if that is an option as well, but I am of the thought that such a thread in the future could really help the NRA bolster it's numbers if done correctly.

Thoughts?

GS

ETA: Sorry for the "thread hi-jack" tuckerdog. :)

Husker1911
February 13, 2008, 04:39 AM
Congratulations to new life members and to those providing the opportunity. Personally, I don't recall any offers of this low a price in a hell of a long time. Note: I've been wrong before and I'll be there again. I surely am proud of my 24 year affiliation.......................

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/Husker1911/IMG_0003-2.jpg

thegriz
February 13, 2008, 01:25 PM
I recently paid off my ELP balance because of an NRA request to raise funds for the upcoming elections. I got the jacket too which was nice. When I saw this thread I called the NRA (today) and asked if I could sign somebody up for $300 for a life membership. Answer was yes. I signed up my brother and paid by credit card this morning.

So it looks like you simply need to get a life member to call the NRA on your behalf before the deadline and get the funds to them.

By the way, it meant a lot to my brother who didn't know I was going to do this. No way his wife can squack about this deal!:neener:

tuckerdog1
February 13, 2008, 03:26 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the kind words guys. My head might swell up & I'll need a larger hat size:D

The real thanks goes to all of you that have been able to take advantage of this. Every member of THR benefits from you becoming life members.

It's getting a little difficult to keep track of all the new life members. Several posters have done this on their own locally. Strat81 adds himself & 3 friends. Will Fennell, already a LM adds his wife. Griz finishes his ELP and adds his brother ( very nice ). And there were others earlier on in the thread.

Since I sent in the 1st round by mail ( and thought I was done ) there have been 10 more confirmed. There are 3 others that have contacted me. I hope to hear back that they were also able to complete the process.

For those that still might want to do this, there are 2 days left. I was able to work out a very easy arrangement with a very nice lady at the NRA. It can take only a few minutes over the phone with a credit card. I'd post all the details here, but don't want to take the chance some low life might see it, abuse it & sour the chances of doing this again, the next time it's offered. So just PM me & I'll shoot you the details.

For all you folks that mailed checks & info for the 1st couple rounds, sorry about that hassle. But I didn't know then, I was going to be able to set up the deal I did with the nice NRA lady.

Cesiumsponge, I guess just keep watching. This expires on the 15th. I do not think the easy pay plan can be used for this. But this is the 3rd time I've received this offer. So it will likely come around again.

Tuckerdog1

jayhway
February 13, 2008, 04:01 PM
tuckerdog1,

Sent you a PM. I had some issues signing up today. When I called the NRA they said that the Life Member had to call on my behalf.

10 Ring Tao
February 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
I had some issues signing up today. When I called the NRA they said that the Life Member had to call on my behalf.

Same here, PM sent to tucker.

strat81
February 13, 2008, 04:42 PM
For those that have done this with Tuckerdog and others in the past few weeks, has the NRA cashed your check yet? Sent mine in over two weeks ago and it hasn't been cashed yet. ???

Cold_B
February 13, 2008, 05:16 PM
Another brand new Life Member thanks Tuckerdog1.

It was a piece of cake to do it over the phone and I spent a total of 2 minutes and 21 seconds on the phone. Doesn't get much easier than that.

10 Ring Tao
February 13, 2008, 05:18 PM
Another brand new Life Member thanks Tuckerdog1.

It was a piece of cake to do it over the phone and I spent a total of 2 minutes and 21 seconds on the phone. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Can you PM me what you did? I called and was told the life member would have to call on my behalf.

Gun Slinger
February 13, 2008, 05:51 PM
For those that have done this with Tuckerdog and others in the past few weeks, has the NRA cashed your check yet? Sent mine in over two weeks ago and it hasn't been cashed yet. ???

strat81,

When I was on the phone with the NRA yesterday, I used a credit card to complete my transaction. During that time, they indicated that my material would be on the way in 15-20 days and that they had significant "backlog".

Of course, you could always give them a call and ask, too.

GS

10 Ring Tao
February 13, 2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks to tucker, I also got in over the phone with a credit card.

She told me 2-3 weeks for the literature to arrive.

knockonit
February 13, 2008, 07:10 PM
WOuld love to upgrade my member ship, as it is due, am in arizona anyone around to get me in on the 300 upgrade,
rj

dralarms
February 13, 2008, 07:15 PM
It's not actually an upgrade, you just get a new life membership. PM me, I'll give you my membership number and you can call in with that and my name and your credit card number and sign up.

Tucker, that's right isn't it?

10 Ring Tao
February 13, 2008, 07:39 PM
You have to ask for the life membership operators, it seems talking with the general membership operators are less likely to work.

tuckerdog1
February 13, 2008, 07:56 PM
knockonit,

PM sent with info.

dralarms,

I would think that would do it, but apparently others have had some problems. I may have just been lucky & hit the right person when I called & set it up.

Tuckerdog1

coachman48
February 13, 2008, 08:28 PM
tuckerdog1

I sent you a PM on the membership if you would send me the info I need.

Thanks
Bob

Well-Armed Lamb
February 14, 2008, 01:01 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the kind words guys. My head might swell up & I'll need a larger hat size :D

Don't stop blushing yet; I posted a heads-up on another forum, where this hadn't been mentioned, and several Life Members there promptly stepped up with offers to sponsor people. I'll have to check with them in a couple of days to see how many folks got sponsored there, but I think it's safe to say you can add at least three more to the tuckerdog1 tally (once removed).

Maybe we should turn this into a challenge the next time this promotion rolls around. Dunno if I could beat this high score, but when my Life Member status kicks in and the NRA decides to repeat the promotion, I'll give it a shot. So to speak. :D

Thanks again for the tip!

Happy
February 14, 2008, 07:31 AM
My check was deposited. :)
Now just waiting on the literature.

Thanks tuckerdog.

tuckerdog1
February 14, 2008, 08:39 AM
Happy,

That's great to know. You were in the 1st mailing. I had no way to track that. This means the USPS got it there & all should be good with the 1st 12 that sent checks.

Tuckerdog1

ChickenHawk
February 14, 2008, 03:10 PM
My check just cleared, too. I'm amazed the NRA did the paperwork that fast. When I originally joined the NRA I recall making calls to see if they got my paperwork because it took so long for them to even bill my credit card.

Cheers,
ChickenHawk

whitetiger7654
February 14, 2008, 03:55 PM
My check was deposited.
Now just waiting on the literature.

Thanks tuckerdog.

Mine were also. Thanks for the heads up. My account almost went negative.

strat81
February 14, 2008, 03:58 PM
Those whose checks have cleared, when did you mail them?

whitetiger7654
February 14, 2008, 04:02 PM
I sent mine in to him when he first posted this.

tuckerdog1
February 14, 2008, 04:52 PM
Strat81, The checks that are clearing were mailed Feb 6th.

The 2nd and last mailing before the " by phone" method was set up was done on the 8th.

Tuckerdog1

MaxPower6789
February 14, 2008, 05:09 PM
I am a new life member thanks to tuckerdog. It took 2min and 5sec, quick and painless.

tuckerdog1
February 14, 2008, 05:48 PM
One day left.

From a couple posts, this is taking only a couple minutes over the phone. If you want to do this, there is time. PM me.

Current number of new life members after reading through this thread, and feedback from people that have contacted me is 44. There are 6 that have contacted me for info, said they indended to do it, but have not PM'd back to let me know they actually did it. Hope they were able to, and do let me know. It would be nice to see 50.

Tuckerdog1

jamz
February 14, 2008, 06:02 PM
PM'd you tuckerdog, if there's a possibility of doing this with a credit card, I'm all in.

-James

NetJunkie
February 14, 2008, 07:10 PM
Mine cleared as well. Thanks Tucker!

rufus1
February 14, 2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks to Tuckerdog, I did mine over the phone yesturday and the $300 has already cleared my checking account (debit card was used):D

knockonit
February 14, 2008, 08:07 PM
Yep, thanks to Tuckerdog, I am another lifer, took about three minutes over the phone, and wah la, should have the lifer package in 10-15 days.
Yeehaw, now where to put all the mail that'll show up from nra. ha
thanks Tuckerdog
ric

Trebor
February 15, 2008, 01:48 AM
I just saw this. Is it too late? Friday would be the earliest I could call.

Gun Slinger
February 15, 2008, 02:09 AM
Tomorrow s'posed to be the last day (15th) of this offers' availability. If I had my member number I'd give it to you, but I am a brand new member myself as of two days ago and don't have it yet.

What's the worst that could happen? Check post #107 and give it a try.

Good luck.

GS

tuckerdog1
February 15, 2008, 05:39 AM
Trebor,

PM sent with details.

Tuckerdog1

Harvster
February 15, 2008, 09:46 AM
As of 8:35 this morning I am a lifetime NRA member. A big thank you to tuckerdog1 and the NRA for making this possible.

jamz
February 15, 2008, 09:47 AM
Just wanted to publically thank tuckerdog1 for starting this offer, the continual followup, and most importantly, making it easy for people to do.

Thank you very much, tuckerdog, I'm a life member now.

As a side note, to others, I was on the ezpay life program, had paid $160 into it with 600 to go, and they couldn't credit the $160 into this, but it still cut $300 off the membership which is nice.

tuckerdog1
February 15, 2008, 11:52 AM
Was PM'd this morning by one of the folks that signed up today. The NRA lady that has been so helpful making this easy, is apparently off today. Others are taking the calls and signing people up. But a comment was overheard in the background concerning this offer being spread over the internet. I don't know if it relates directly to this thread, or the possible combined effect of this thread and others. It may be nothing, but we'd sure like to be able to do this again, when the offer is made. So for any that still haven't called, when you do, please be very polite to whoever takes your call.

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1

ChickenHawk
February 15, 2008, 11:54 AM
WooHoo!!!

I just logged on to nra.org and checked my membership. Under TYPE it says; Life - Active. How cool is that?!

Thanks again, Tucker! :)

mak380
February 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
I took the info provided, and when I called this morning at 9:30 MST time, I got through & processed under 5 minutes. I think I got the correct person right off the bat. Thanks, Tuckerdog!!

Cesiumsponge
February 16, 2008, 03:58 AM
I think the NRA should be pretty happy that people are signing up regardless of how the word got out.

I did manage to phone in a membership on Thursday and got a lifer membership. Waiting for literature and so forth and the charge to show up. Cannot wait!

bratch
February 16, 2008, 01:26 PM
Cnograts to you guys.

I called 3 times talked to three different people and everyone of them told me I couldn't sign up on the referal.

Was more than a little disapointed as I was excited about the offer.

Oh well maybe next time.

tuckerdog1
February 16, 2008, 01:47 PM
Well,

The deadline has come. Congratulations ( and thanks ) to all the new Life Members. Unfortunately, I had a couple PMs come in after the deadline. But I hope we can do this again. So keep watching THR.

Here are some updated numbers:

By my count, reading posts on the thread, and through PM responses, there are 11 that joined one way or another locally. One new Life Member ( VYNX ) didn't get the $300 deal, but he is still a new Life Member & I want to add him to the count here.
Through written applications, and over the phone, I was able to sponsor 38 new Life Members. That brings the total to 50:D

There are still 3 that requested info, but I have not heard back from. So I don't know if they were able to join or not. ( Just got a PM from one of the 3 above. +1, so new total is 51 )

In any case, it's good for the NRA, and all of us on THR.

Many thanks folks,

Tuckerdog1

NetJunkie
February 22, 2008, 11:40 PM
I got a letter from the NRA confirming that I received a gift membership. It didn't mention life or anything. It looked like a quick mail item to buy time until they print enough official literature.

marklbucla
February 23, 2008, 01:05 AM
I got the same thing. I was wondering about the lack of the mention of "Life Member" on it.

10 Ring Tao
February 23, 2008, 01:32 AM
I spend enough time talking about and promoting the 2A, I like to think of this as 100% putting my money where my mouth is.

jkingrph
February 23, 2008, 10:15 AM
I got the $175 Endowment Member deal and now they just sent me an offer for Patron Membership for $250. I understand they are trying to raise money, but I have mixed feelings about it, since it sorta cheapens these "high level" memberships. Patron Membership would normally be $1500. I guess if I had bought a Patron memberhship in the past, I might be sorta peeved that they are selling them for 80% off.___I just did the same, but have not seen offer of Patron Membership, "yet", however some of the patches, emblems they sent with my Endowment package were labeled Patron.

Some years back when they had some other deal going I purchasd a Life membership for my son. He wound up in law school, a private one at that so dad did not have too much for a long time for donations, elevated memberships, new guns, anything, but am starting to recover._______________

TexasRifleman
February 23, 2008, 10:16 AM
I got the same thing. I was wondering about the lack of the mention of "Life Member" on it.

I suspect they just ran out of all the regular material. A friend of mine bought the Endowment Member upgrade at the lower price and he got the same kind of post card, and a couple of days later another postcard saying that a jacket he was supposed to get was also backordered.

Which is a good sign I guess, means lots of people are signing up for this.

ChickenHawk
February 23, 2008, 12:02 PM
If you are concerned then log on to the NRA web site and see what your membership type is. If it says "Life - Active" then you're all set.

ChickenHawk

NetJunkie
February 23, 2008, 12:43 PM
I thought we got new membership numbers but it looks like they changed my original one. I know show: Type: Life - Active

American_Pit_Bull
February 23, 2008, 12:46 PM
I got the same thing. I was wondering about the lack of the mention of "Life Member" on it.Sometime next week you should get a large envelope with a "Life Member" certificate and a new card, pin, etc...
I received the same post card, followed by the material that I mentioned.

I believe we get new membership numbers now..so I don't know what to check yet.Nope... Your membership number will stay the same and your status will be updated, online, to "Life"

Emfuser
February 23, 2008, 01:37 PM
If I get a lifetime membership does it stop the mail I get every other week begging me to renew RIGHT NOW, regardless of what time of year it is?

Bacchus
February 23, 2008, 01:52 PM
Sorry I missed this...hoping that the NRA does another "fund drive" sooner rather than later.

Sir Aardvark
February 23, 2008, 08:19 PM
Noone has stated this yet... but is the "fund drive" still going on?

I realize that it had an expiration date of 2/15/08, but has anyone called to check if they will still do the $300.00 offer anyways?

American_Pit_Bull
February 24, 2008, 11:43 AM
Posted by Emfuser:
If I get a lifetime membership does it stop the mail I get every other week begging me to renew RIGHT NOW, regardless of what time of year it is?You can call the NRA and "opt out" of their mailings and you will not get any of the solicitations. 1-800-672-3888

dralarms
February 24, 2008, 12:09 PM
Sir aardvark,

Sometimes they will. All you can do is call. All they can say is no, they can't kill you.:D

stubob2517
February 24, 2008, 02:12 PM
Sir aardvark,

I have contacted the NRA via e-mail but have yet to receive a response. Once I have heard from them I will post it here.

Sir Aardvark
February 24, 2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks!

If calling with the required info and a credit card number is all that is required then I'm up for it when this becomes available again.

Happy
February 29, 2008, 06:57 PM
Got my Life Membership Package today. :)

Thanks again Tuckerdog.

Donut
February 29, 2008, 07:01 PM
I got all my goodies in the mail yesterday!

10 Ring Tao
February 29, 2008, 07:55 PM
Has anyone that did the CC over the phone got their stuff yet?

tuckerdog1
February 29, 2008, 07:55 PM
I called a couple days ago to thank the woman that had been so helpful. I asked about when the NRA might do this again, She said it was typically around the holidays. It was extended this time, because of the elections. But it is over for now.

I hope it can be set up again so it's easy to play sponsor & signing up is nothing more than a phone call. But she said somebody had apparently done some sort of an open post on the internet & they were swamped. Not that being swamped with new Life Members is a bad thing. But they were not prepared for it. So they "may" put some sort of restrictions in place next time around.

There is apparently no trail to my membership number, that shows who I sponsored when done by phone. I'd asked, because I was curious about the "real" total. For all that joined by phone, I hope there has been no issues & you're getting some notification that verifies the membership. For those that mailed checks & personal info ( before the phone option was set up ), I do have a paper trail there. So if you're one of those folks, and are having any issues, fell free to contact me, and we'll see if we can't get it straightened out.

Tuckerdog1

lawson4
February 29, 2008, 09:55 PM
TuCkerdog1, got my notification today. I AM A LIFE MEMBER THANKS TO YOU.
If NRA does this again, I'll try to pass your favor onto the next group by sponsoring them.

lawson4
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Certified Counselor
All Around Good Guy

smullen
October 13, 2008, 11:50 AM
Any deals like this still going on???

Chubber
October 22, 2008, 09:31 AM
Likewise, I am ready to renew and for $300 Ill snap up a life membership. I am going to subscribe to this thread, so someone please post if they do it again for Christmas.

Highland Ranger
October 22, 2008, 11:15 AM
Same here . . .

PT92
October 22, 2008, 12:32 PM
I will jump on it.

cpg
October 23, 2008, 11:04 AM
i would be in for a $300 lifetime as well.

blooeyesguy
October 24, 2008, 02:03 AM
Same here.

tuckerdog1
October 24, 2008, 05:23 PM
I'd hoped to hear from the NRA about being able to add more folks around mid August. But so far, nothing. This last offer was only good for 1 person. Hope the next is a little more open. But I still have a list of about a dozen that got in line when this 1st came up. If I get a restricted number again, I'll work my way through that list in order. With the lousy economy, some might not be able to take advantage next go around.

If other Lifers get the offer, don't toss it in the trash. Help somebody get on for life.

Tuckerdog1

gunNoob
October 24, 2008, 05:43 PM
what does the NRA lifetime membership get you? jw

James NM
October 24, 2008, 07:13 PM
I'd like to go lifetime as well.

vberch
November 7, 2008, 10:40 AM
I would be very much interested as well. Please let me know if it becomes available.

VB

offthepaper
November 8, 2008, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the NRA open things up soon to raise some quick capital for what they might see as a need to rachet-up certain efforts (I'm trying real hard to keep this non-political mods). And they may well see fit to make a major recruiting effort at all levels of membership.

vberch
November 8, 2008, 03:05 PM
That's exactly what I've been thinking! If they decide to pursue it, I'd love to drive this initiative in our club.

Our club is the oldest club in WI (75+ years old) and we have well over a thousand members. It would be great to raise some money for NRA in this time of need.

smullen
November 8, 2008, 06:31 PM
I've been interested in a Lifetime Membership too, but as of late, I gotta wonder what good will it be if we get a handful of new bans??

SoCalShooter
November 8, 2008, 06:50 PM
I too am interesting in the 300 dollar lifetime. I cannot spare anymore than that because I am going on a weapon buying spree.

Tulsaboyw
April 9, 2009, 04:54 PM
I am hopeing for anew discount deal.

so far only the $750 at a recent show was it.

though i did get a discounted 1yr membership along with the gun show.

Cant afford the full cost...but cant afford to be a regular member either without the discounts.

Im hoping more discounted options show up.

though I have a life member as a trainer ..

If you enjoyed reading about "$300 NRA life membership" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!