Has Lakota Knives gone belly up?

PDA

I'm Thinking...
January 17, 2008, 07:43 PM
Bought my first one (http://www.lakotaknife.com/mastercraft-folding.html) (#271 Lil' Hawk) some time around 10-12 years back. With G-d as my Witness, I honestly don't think I've ever seen a finer (semi) factory piece. Tried, around 8 years ago, to pry apart a wooden pallet; messed the hinge-joint up something fierce. Now I want to send the blade in for repair, but it seems "Lakota" is (?) not "around" (sort-of web-page, but phone #'s out-of-service). :cuss:

Anybody know anything (aside from what I've written, above)? Lakota blades (folding or fixed) are some dang fine steel :) :) They are worth every penny paid.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has Lakota Knives gone belly up?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Joe Demko
January 18, 2008, 06:35 PM
They went under a few years ago, briefly resurfaced under new ownership, and appear to have gone out of business again. It's a pity, too. They were at the NRA convention in Pittsburgh a couple years ago displaying updated versions of their classic designs. The stuff they were showing was really cool.

kBob
August 8, 2008, 11:14 AM
Back in 2000 the NRA gave away a single blade folder from Lakota as a premium for becoming an Endowment member.

I have carried mine off and on since and when it resently resurfaced in a junk drawer, sliped it into a pocket after blowing out some dust and old pocket fuzz.

GOt interested in and was about to post some questions when I did the right thing and did search and found this old thread.

Not being a Knife Knerd I was wanting to no others opinions of the products.

I also wanted to know the proper term for the type of brass lock in this knife which is exactly like the lock on the 50's and 50's BSA and Cub Scout pomet knives.

My knife blade is only marked

LAKOTA
U.S.A.

The As in Lakota are stylized like a delta with left half the bottom missing
and no other marks appear on it.

The right scale (they are some white plastic lookig stuff) is marked with the NRA (letters) circle logo and

Millinium Member
Endowment

WHen it is clean and the hinge lubed I can pinch it open one handed, but not fast.

How do you folks clean the black and grey surface discolorations of a steel blade?

-Bob Hollingsworth

KevininPa
August 8, 2008, 11:29 AM
...........27 years old. Bought it in the ships store when I was in Uncle Sams yacht club. Only paid $32 for it then. When they were still around, I thought I would buy one of the Micarta handled ones that also had the more rounded off edges. When I saw the $105 price tag on it I said heck with it. Couldn't see paying that for essentially the same knife I had. Shame they're gone, was interested in their fixed blade knife.

I'm Thinking...
December 5, 2008, 03:50 AM
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/402000.html) [....]
(with apologies to Shakespeare's Henry the 5th)".
We few who have had both the pleasure, and honor, of
owning some of this fine, fine cutlery, made by a
company which is no more ::sniffle::

Lakota Knife
January 3, 2009, 09:11 PM
Lakota Knife is NOT out of business! Yes they have been having some issues but that's a discussion for a different day.

I'm thinking - would you consider taking a palet apart normal use. I don't know what repairs can be made to a knife other than replacement.

Send me any questions you have and I'll attempt to answer.

JShirley
January 3, 2009, 10:16 PM
Welcome to THR!

bikerdoc
January 4, 2009, 07:30 AM
Good news for all. Welcome and post some pics!

Lakota Knife
February 20, 2009, 11:11 AM
Here is the catalog

hso
February 20, 2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks!

Rupestris
February 20, 2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks LK!
Any word on when the website will be up and when distributors will have them in stock?

There are a couple that have piqued my interest.

eburon
March 9, 2009, 10:44 AM
I've heard many positive things about Lakota knives and the Legend has been my EDC for some time until Al Mar S2K has replaced it. Great folder and surprisingly underrated. I just checked the lakotaknife.com and it is still out of 'business', so I wonder when Lakota will be back on track.

hoodlum1
July 23, 2010, 06:38 AM
A guy I worked with many years ago was given a Lakota folding knife by his dad. That was a fine looking knife and the sharpest knife I've ever seen in my life. I've been thinking about it recently, because my brother in law is a collector and after I told him about it he's checked his catalogs and can't find anything. Thanks for attaching their catalog here.

Deltaboy
July 29, 2010, 10:42 PM
Nice knives!

If you enjoyed reading about "Has Lakota Knives gone belly up?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!