Shooting buddy just picked this up...

PDA

Mike Irwin
July 29, 2003, 02:13 AM
From AuctionArms.

Turns out he was born on April 8, 1935.

Decided he wanted it for "synergy" I guess. :)

First I've seen one of these in awhile, and a pretty decent "buy it" price on it, too.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=4702689

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting buddy just picked this up..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tex_n_cal
July 29, 2003, 02:43 AM
yep, that is a good price...I paid $500 for mine. Commemorative, schmemmerative, I already shot mine:evil: Haven't done any Elmer Keith Commemorative +P++ loads for it yet, though.

This limited edition may be the best way to find a 5" M27. I haven't seen one otherwise, in many years. Mine shoots as good as it looks.:D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=66693

Gordon
July 29, 2003, 03:19 AM
I have one of these in it's case with repro document. It ain't pinned and recessed. The top of frame is not checkered. Although the trigger and quality is head and shoulders over curent S&W crop, it is NOTHING like my late 50's 3.5" M27 , doesn't get on same PAGE.: :rolleyes:

Erich
July 29, 2003, 12:13 PM
Nice price.

Gordon is right, of course. But then, nothing beats an old Registered Magnum. . . "What barrel length did you say you'd like, sir?" :) Those were the days. I don't want to think what they cost back then in today's bucks, though, because I'm pretty sure it was WAY out of my league.

Mike Irwin
July 29, 2003, 12:45 PM
Well, the new owner of this particular gun just offered me his 6" Model 27 for the price he paid for it at a gun show we were at a few years ago -- IIRC, that was $275. :)

I can't remember whether it's P&R, but I don't think it is.

Still, I'm probably going to buy it just to have a 27.

Poohgyrr
July 29, 2003, 01:04 PM
$275 for a M27?? Heh, congrats. :cool:

Mike Irwin
July 29, 2003, 04:34 PM
If I do get his Model 27, that leaves me with something of a dilemma...

Do I get rid of my 6" Model 28 (I also have a 4" Model 28), or do I keep them both...

Sigh.

Erich
July 29, 2003, 07:28 PM
. . . you could give it to ME!!!!!

:)

Gordon
July 29, 2003, 09:05 PM
Mike sell the 6inch M28 for $300!:D :D :D

chaim
July 30, 2003, 01:43 AM
Still, I'm probably going to buy it just to have a 27. Darn Mike, you don't have a 27?!:what: How many S&Ws do you have? Isn't the 27 pretty much the classic S&W .357? I would have thought that as much of a S&W collector you are you'd have two or three.

And no, don't sell your 28, why can't you have both? That is, unless you need to in order to afford this 27 right now (and somehow I doubt that).

Mike Irwin
July 30, 2003, 02:21 AM
"Mike sell the 6inch M28 for $300"

That's actually what I paid for it at Green Top in Richmond almost 10 years ago now. At the time I got it it didn't have a box, but was in virtually new condition.

There were two 6"ers -- one for $299 that looked like it had been used hard and put away wet, and this one for $399.

I decided to play dumb, and asked why such a price differential on the two.

The guy looked at them, and said he'd give me the $399 one for $299, but I didn't get the additional 10% off that they were having on handguns that weekend.

NO FRICKING PROBLEM!

I just about broke my arm whipping it around to my back pocket to get the checkbook.

I know Sam would say that I overpaid, that in fact the guy should have given ME $299, two cows, 10 pigs, and 15 chickens to take it off his hands, and even then I wouldn't have been getting a really good deal.... :)

And no, Chaim, I don't have a 27. I've either not had the funds when one has presented itself, or when I've had the funds, they're either unavilable, or priced into the stratosphere.

And, since this one isn't P&R, I really don't consider it to be the cadillac of the line.

At this point I've got about 10-15 S&Ws.

C.R.Sam
July 30, 2003, 04:26 AM
"Isn't the 27 pretty much the classic S&W .357? "

Nah. The original, pre model number, is the classsic.

27 is just a tool, very nice tool indeed tho.

Sam

chaim
July 30, 2003, 05:04 AM
I've either not had the funds when one has presented itself, or when I've had the funds, they're either unavilable, or priced into the stratosphere. That I can relate to and understand. Still, the shock to hear that Mike "Mr. Smith and Wesson" Irwin didn't own a 27, or pre-27...WOW! :D

"Isn't the 27 pretty much the classic S&W .357? "

Nah. The original, pre model number, is the classsic.

27 is just a tool, very nice tool indeed tho.

Man, I just knew someone would call me there. I guess I should have said the 27 is "the classic..." instead of "the classic...".:D

C.R.Sam
July 30, 2003, 07:35 AM
I just couldn't pass up that opening.:D

Sam....

chaim
July 30, 2003, 07:47 AM
BTW, it is very good to have you back C.R. Sam. I was beginning to think you didn't like us anymore:(

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting buddy just picked this up..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!