Man With Shotgun Arrested Near Supreme Court; Bomb Squad Called:

PDA

romma
January 18, 2008, 04:10 PM
Breaking News, nothing yet...

Just what we need right now for the SCOTUS!

If you enjoyed reading about "Man With Shotgun Arrested Near Supreme Court; Bomb Squad Called:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DoubleTapDrew
January 18, 2008, 04:14 PM
Great.
Live foxnews feed available http://www.foxnews.com/
I hope it was just Miller showing up posthumous and late for his SC appeal.

romma
January 18, 2008, 04:21 PM

LOL! Might as well laugh while we can!

Happy
January 18, 2008, 04:21 PM
WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA)-- 9NEWS NOW's Bruce Leshan has learned from Capitol Police sources that they have arrested an armed man.

The man was walking down 1st St NE with a tactical vest, a loaded shotgun, a tactical bow and arrow and a samurai sword in a hidden case behind his back.

His Chevy with Utah license plates came up positive for explosive traces when the dogs sniffed it. There are more weapons in the car.

The area has been cordoned off during the investigation.

9NEWS NOW Reporter Audrey Barnes is on the scene where officers are going over the man's belongings.

---

Tactical Bow and Arrow? Was it camo?

RKBABob
January 18, 2008, 04:24 PM
a tactical bow and arrowWhat on Earth is a tactical bow and arrow?
Is it only available in black, or something?

EDIT: Oops... I just saw that Happy already asked.

Happy
January 18, 2008, 04:25 PM
Maybe it looked like the one from Rambo II?

RiflemanTripleEight
January 18, 2008, 04:25 PM
Those roaming Samurai are becoming an increasing problem.

Luggo
January 18, 2008, 04:27 PM
Tactical means he put low light sights on it...and carried a high cap quiver.

MakAttak
January 18, 2008, 04:29 PM
WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA)-- 9NEWS NOW's Bruce Leshan has learned from Capitol Police sources that they have arrested an armed man.

The man was walking down 1st St NE with a tactical vest, a loaded shotgun, a tactical bow and arrow and a samurai sword in a hidden case behind his back.

His Chevy with Utah license plates came up positive for explosive traces when the dogs sniffed it. There are more weapons in the car.

The area has been cordoned off during the investigation.

9NEWS NOW Reporter Audrey Barnes is on the scene where officers are going over the man's belongings.

I read this and thought it was a joke. I didn't believe a news source would put such a thing out.

So I went to 9 News Now (I'm in the DC area anyway)...

<face in hands>

Scorpiusdeus
January 18, 2008, 04:30 PM

Maybe we need to ban Sushi.

romma
January 18, 2008, 04:33 PM
A Tasco Red Dot On his compound maybe?

DoubleTapDrew
January 18, 2008, 04:38 PM
a tactical bow and arrow

ROFLMAO!!! They don't even let the SWAT teams use those high-capacity assault bows! That's special-ops only stuff!!!

eric.cartman
January 18, 2008, 04:40 PM
http://www.thepunishermerchandise.com/movie/punisher_2004/props/punisher-bow-dvd.jpg

HonorsDaddy
January 18, 2008, 05:08 PM
...we can officially kiss our rights goodbye. After this, Heller will NOT be decided in our favor.

I'd bet real money this guy was a plant. We will hear nothing further about the case, you wont ever hear of him being charged or going to trial. We wont even know his name.

Scorpiusdeus
January 18, 2008, 05:12 PM
...we can officially kiss our rights goodbye. After this, Heller will NOT be decided in our favor.

I'd bet real money this guy was a plant. We will hear nothing further about the case, you wont ever hear of him being charged or going to trial. We wont even know his name.

I would like to think that the supreme court doesn't make decisions based on one news item. I would hope there is a little more involved in the process.

A plant? I doubt it. Who's going to potentially give up years of their lives to make this weak statement?

I'm thinking the guy is just another nut among many.

HonorsDaddy
January 18, 2008, 05:14 PM
Why on earth do you think this guy will go to jail? If his name is never announced in the media, you'll have no way to confirm if charges were ever brought. He was arrested 3 hours ago and still no name released. For pete's sake, we had the names of the 9/11 hijackers before bodies stopped falling.

Hate to break it to you, but this is just one of many upcoming examples which WILL be used to gut what is left of the 2nd Amendment. Enjoy it now people - you're going to have to decide VERY soon whether you're going to invoke it for its intended purpose.

El Tejon
January 18, 2008, 05:15 PM
Ban sushi?!?!?:what:

Hmmm, I knew a lack of coffee and beer would make them all go crazy out there.:D

Heavy Metal Hero
January 18, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hate to break it to you, but this is just one of many upcoming examples which WILL be used to gut what is left of the 2nd Amendment. Enjoy it now people - you're going to have to decide VERY soon whether you're going to invoke it for its intended purpose.

Let's not break out the tinfoil hats and get this thread closed...

Still awaiting more info.

Chipperman
January 18, 2008, 05:22 PM
CNN links to the OP and Fox doesn't have any more than this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,323908,00.html

Bomb Squad Inspecting Suspicious Truck After Man Arrested With Shotgun Near Capitol Hill
Friday, January 18, 2008

WASHINGTON Police have sent in a bomb squad to inspect a suspicious vehicle parked near Capitol Hill, after a man apparently carrying a shotgun was arrested in the area.

U.S. Capitol Police spokeswoman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said the vehicle, a green pickup truck parked near the corner of North Capitol and D streets in Washington, D.C., may be associated with the man who was arrested near the Supreme Court.

She said there were "items of concern" in the vehicle, but would not get into specifics.

"The main concern right now is to make sure that the public is safe," Schneider said. "The investigation is ongoing, so the details are fluid."

She said the man in custody is believed to be the sole person involved, and that he was arrested at 1 p.m. after authorities saw him carrying "what appeared to be a shotgun."

Ban Sushi.

It's For The Fish!

HonorsDaddy
January 18, 2008, 05:22 PM
Its not a tin foil hat thing, its just an observation.

3-1/2 hours and no further data - just some unnamed guy in a pickup with Utah plates. Come on - how much more could you POSSIBLY play into the east coast lefty idea of a gun owner?

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If I'm not, I'll expect your apology.

Heavy Metal Hero
January 18, 2008, 05:28 PM
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If I'm not, I'll expect your apology.

I am afraid you will be waiting a long time for that. If it offends you that I used the words "tinfoil hat" then maybe you should keep your conspiracy theories to yourself until more info is released.

EDIT: I'm not saying you are wrong.

General Geoff
January 18, 2008, 05:29 PM
This REEKS of a plant, seriously. If not by someone in government, then by someone else who wants our rights gone.

I have a feeling that the Supremes, being highly intelligent individuals, will likely find this to be a ploy as well, an effort to try and influence their decision. I wouldn't be surprised if they dismissed it completely out of their minds.

HonorsDaddy
January 18, 2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the input. Nice to know I am not the only one to draw the obvious conclusion.

CypherNinja
January 18, 2008, 05:40 PM
I'm watching the Fox News live stream of the robot searching the guys pickup.....

Unisaw
January 18, 2008, 05:55 PM
Have they found his tactical wheelbarrow yet? :D

RKBABob
January 18, 2008, 06:04 PM
Have they found his tactical wheelbarrow yet? No, but his truck had tactical plates that you can only legally get in Utah!

Scorpiusdeus
January 18, 2008, 06:06 PM
Guys, if this guy was a plant he'd have an "assault" weapon and be concealing handguns he bought in a straw purchase.

SHOTGUN, SWORD, BOW AND ARROW. People please, this guy is just a nut.

Shadowangel
January 18, 2008, 06:13 PM
Have they found his tactical wheelbarrow yet?

They're too busy checking out that tactical bow and his mall ninja sword.

Tyris
January 18, 2008, 06:16 PM
Smells like an agent provocateur. Probably a local fed or DC employee being paid for this little show.
I hope the supreme court does not fall for this "theater".

-T

Tokugawa
January 18, 2008, 07:32 PM
Seems like the tinfoil is a little thin. I am making my hat out of hammered coke cans. :)

Ash
January 18, 2008, 07:39 PM
Dude, just go to the junk shop and get a cast aluminum pot. You can cook dinner and protect yourself. Plus, those things are thick!

Ash

TheFringe
January 18, 2008, 07:49 PM
I'll bet he was wearing a 'Cat Diesel' cap as well.

-Plant.

Kind of Blued
January 18, 2008, 08:01 PM
Sometimes I wish i could just go out and do something stupid and get myself killed to help IN THE NAME of firearms or the Second Amendment.

There is nothing that is intelligent, law-abiding citizens can do to counter-balance this kind of stuff. At times like this, it seems all we have is 'down'.

For every nutjob out there with a cheap assault rifle, there are 10,000 quiet, intelligent, courteous, patriotic, law-abiding Americans who like to keep their guns to hunt, shoot paper, hang on the wall and admire, or God forbid, have handy just in case one of these nutjobs decides to bust in their door.

Hell, for every nutjob with an assault rifle, the government could find 1,000 sane, courteous, law-abiding citizens with assault rifles to help take care of the one nutjob if they were willing to let Americans protect their streets without worry of spending the rest of their lives in prison.

sm
January 18, 2008, 08:09 PM
Lots of popular buzzwords used in this news story.
At this point we don't know the full story.

Still first impressions stick.
The sensationalism created by use of words seen typed on gun Internet Fora, have already aided and abetted Tyranny.

Ash
January 18, 2008, 08:11 PM
By the way, this guy evidently was questioned about violating airspace over Camp David in 1994. Still no names, though.

Ash

Gunnerpalace
January 18, 2008, 08:12 PM
Traffic in the DC area is horrible, makes sense. :D

tactical bow
Did they find tactical arrows? :D

Plant? probably not, if it does ANYTHING for the case it would be that we are still going to have 4473's.

HonorsDaddy
January 18, 2008, 08:20 PM
Its the lack of a name being released that leads me to believe it is a set-up. Well, that and the fact that he was a total caricature of what the anti-gun crowd thinks a gun owner is.

paintballdude902
January 18, 2008, 08:23 PM
u think hes an irate mall ninja?

i think we need to thin the ninja herds they are coming into civilization

LAR-15
January 18, 2008, 08:27 PM
Chuck Schumer and Joe Biden are having a press conference about banning bows in the USA............

:mad:

TwitchALot
January 18, 2008, 08:27 PM
I don't know, I could see this working in our favor. We've said that laws don't stop criminals a billion times. This was another completely illegal action that was not prevented by the law. What's the Brady Bunch going to say? "Umm, umm, ONE MORE LAW WOULD HAVE DONE IT!!!"?

LAR-15
January 18, 2008, 08:30 PM
DID YOU KNOW:

Shotguns with barrels under 20" are illegal in D.C.?

Kind of Blued
January 18, 2008, 08:32 PM
What's the Brady Bunch going to say? "Umm, umm, ONE MORE LAW WOULD HAVE DONE IT!!!"?

Precisely.

HonorsDaddy
January 18, 2008, 08:37 PM
What's the Brady Bunch going to say? "Umm, umm, ONE MORE LAW WOULD HAVE DONE IT!!!"?

No, they, or others like them, are going to say "See? This is what happens when the general public is allowed to own firearms and keep them at home."

SuperNaut
January 18, 2008, 08:40 PM
With the way things are in D.C., I'm more surprised everyone isn't carrying shotguns and "tactical bows."

Cosmoline
January 18, 2008, 08:50 PM

LOL

toivo
January 18, 2008, 09:32 PM
When do we get the hue and cry for tougher sword control laws? Did you know that you can buy them on the Internet and have them delivered right to your house? :eek:

Scorpiusdeus
January 18, 2008, 10:00 PM
When do we get the hue and cry for tougher sword control laws? Did you know that you can buy them on the Internet and have them delivered right to your house?

Ever been to the UK?

Ash
January 18, 2008, 10:22 PM
Man, I've been at gunshows and there ARE some guys who show up who fit this guy's description. Come on, we've all seen him at shows. My guess is this guy is a hard core loser who gives us a bad name.

Ash

silverlance
January 18, 2008, 11:03 PM
call me tinfoil crazy, but I'm with honors.
The guy is a plant - not necessarily a plant in the sense that he's actually a semi intelligent lefty who has descided to sacrifice himself for the cause, but perhaps an already loony guy pushed to the edge and off by lefty instigators.

Robert Hairless
January 19, 2008, 12:28 AM
MDeViney:

Sometimes I wish i could just go out and do something stupid and get myself killed to help IN THE NAME of firearms or the Second Amendment.

There is nothing that is intelligent, law-abiding citizens can do to counter-balance this kind of stuff. At times like this, it seems all we have is 'down'.

For every nutjob out there with a cheap assault rifle, there are 10,000 quiet, intelligent, courteous, patriotic, law-abiding Americans who like to keep their guns to hunt, shoot paper, hang on the wall and admire, or God forbid, have handy just in case one of these nutjobs decides to bust in their door.

Hell, for every nutjob with an assault rifle, the government could find 1,000 sane, courteous, law-abiding citizens with assault rifles to help take care of the one nutjob if they were willing to let Americans protect their streets without worry of spending the rest of their lives in prison.

Sigh.

Black Adder LXX
January 19, 2008, 12:37 AM
I can't believe you guys missed this: Maybe it was that guy from 'Heroes' and he jumped into the wrong time. That would explain the lack of identity and samurai sword. He probably jumped back in time to save the cheerleader...

DoubleTapDrew
January 19, 2008, 01:07 AM
I can't believe there haven't been any more updates to this. Actually, after watching that stupid bomb squad robot fumble around for about 45 minutes like it was controlled by a drunk chimpanzee before I got bored and closed the window, maybe I can.
Here's the latest I can find:
Man Carrying Loaded Shotgun, Sword on Street Is Arrested

A man carrying a loaded shotgun, a samurai sword and a bag filled with gunpowder was arrested near the Capitol yesterday, authorities said.

The man, identified as Michael Steven Gorbey, 38, was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm, Capitol Police said. They gave no address for him.

He was wearing a vest like those used by police and military personnel and had a bow in his car, said Terrance W. Gainer, Senate sergeant-at-arms.

Capitol Police arrested the man about 1 p.m., just after he was spotted walking with the shotgun at First and D streets NE, authorities said. No shots were fired.

Police said they found the man's truck parked at Louisiana Avenue and D Street NW. Officers were alarmed to see wires coming out of the glove box and propane tanks in the vehicle, Gainer said. Streets were closed as the Capitol Police bomb squad inspected the vehicle, but it "was not rigged" to explode, he said.

The nearby Teamsters building also also evacuated. Streets were reopened about 6 p.m.

"All in all, this is kind of a textbook response to a very dangerous individual," Gainer said.

According to Gainer, the man said he was going to the Supreme Court. The man has a record of charges that include assault, Gainer said, and was questioned years ago after flying over restricted airspace near Camp David.

If he IS a planted individual, it doesn't seem to be generating much press thus far and I read in another story the guy has multiple weapons felonies so he's not the best poster child for antis arguing against honest people owning firearms.
I just wonder what was his motivation for being there?

MakAttak
January 19, 2008, 05:54 AM
The man, identified as Michael Steven Gorbey, 38, was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm, Capitol Police said. They gave no address for him.

That's impossible! Felons can't buy firearms!

romma
January 19, 2008, 12:02 PM
That's impossible! Felons can't buy firearms!

Maybe it is the infamfamous, often talked about,seldom seen,,,ILLEGAL GUN!

UhKlem
January 19, 2008, 01:01 PM
The nerve of a submitizen to wear a vest like those used by police and military personnel. Probably to conceal radical subversive literature like The Bible, or The Constitution. A bag filled with gunpowder? Scary. If it were filled with talcum powder we'd no doubt be subjected to the Great Capitol Ant hrax Scare, Part Two. Thank God it wasn't a shark attack. In other news, the Nation's Capitol faces a severe shortage of Depends...

fletcher
January 19, 2008, 01:02 PM
tactical bow and arrow
So he had a tactical bow with a lone, vigilante, tactical arrow?

jrou111
January 19, 2008, 01:47 PM
I wonder if it was one of those tactical bow and arrows equipped with a silencer? :scrutiny:

Ultrachimp
January 19, 2008, 01:59 PM
lol

sounds like someone wanted to get the high score

but he was too dumb to go somewhere where there's no people with guns AND law-abiding citizens carrying guns is illegal

He made the mistake of going to a major police city.

Zedicus
January 19, 2008, 02:05 PM
Any new info on this yet?

If you enjoyed reading about "Man With Shotgun Arrested Near Supreme Court; Bomb Squad Called:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!