New Savage MKII 22 issue

PDA

JDGray
January 18, 2008, 09:00 PM
Just bought my son his first new rifle, and on its first time out, it has a few issues. The 10rd magazine is very sloppy in the gun, and causes the nose of the bullet to catch on its way into the chamber. If you hold forward pressure on it, you can rack a new cartridge in, no problem. I'll call savage on Tuesday, and see what they want to do, hopefully just a mag problem. The good news is it shoots great! the kid put 4 bullets in a cloverleaf at 25yrds, with a cheap Tasco 2.5X scope!

If you enjoyed reading about "New Savage MKII 22 issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kart racer
January 18, 2008, 09:54 PM
You can bend the post the mag slides on.Sometimes a new mag will fix the problem,but a slight adjustment of the post will fix it most of the times.

I couldn't afford to buy half a dozen new mags to see which ones worked-so I adjusted the post.

JDGray
January 18, 2008, 10:17 PM
By bending the post, is that the spring steel release your talking about? Other than that, theres nothing but a stamped steel box guiding the mag.

kart racer
January 18, 2008, 11:08 PM
the mag slides between the post and mag release.The big post can be bent slightly.That's the way my 17hmr is,is the 22 different?

Check on rimfire central if it's different..I'm sure someone there has run across the problem.They're a great source of info on anything rinfire. Joe

kart racer
January 18, 2008, 11:16 PM
Just checked rfc and it looks like most of them are just tweaking the mags,although one did state savage told them to bend the bar.I'd try squeezing the mag a little first.

If you'll load a mag and watch what it's doing you'll see where it needs adjusting.

JDGray
January 19, 2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the Rimfire Central suggestion! Did a search and found Lots of mag issues:)

If you enjoyed reading about "New Savage MKII 22 issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!