Counterboring

PDA

lionking
January 18, 2008, 11:31 PM
ok,I have a basic understanding of this,and I know a barrel original in fine condition is better than a counterbored barrel I assume....

My question is,I just saw a listing for a Swiss 1911 that has been counterbored,does this process restore a barrel to where accuracy would match the original or does process fall short to hope of the best accuracy possible ever happening that might be from a pristine original barrel?

How does rifling fit into this process also?

If you enjoyed reading about "Counterboring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DnPRK
January 18, 2008, 11:48 PM
Counterboring is done on military to remove rifling that was damaged by overzealous use of a steel cleaning rod. The cleaning rod dragging across the rifling wears the rifling away after hundreds of cleanings by troops that don't care as much about their rifle's accuracy as they do about the @ss chewing their Sergeant will give them if their bore is dirty. Counterboring literally cuts away the rifling and enlarges the bore, creating a new muzzle down in the barrel where the rifling is not as worn. Counterboring can restore accuracy as the rifling at the muzzle is the last thing that touches the bullet to make it fly true.

DnPRK
January 18, 2008, 11:50 PM
Oops! Double tap.

lionking
January 19, 2008, 07:41 PM
interesting about counterboring because of too many cleanings.I thought it would be done moe often because a barrel was corroded and pitted from abuse to the elements or corrosive ammo.

So counterboring is actially not really a bad thing,and that accuracy can actually be restored to it's former self by doing this to the barrel.

Well if that's the case,maybe I won't dismiss a rifle just because it has been counterbored.How are the ways to tell if a barrel has had this by looking at it?

I have seen some mention about Mosins being counterbored,I have two and don't know really what to look for.

thanks

Gator
January 19, 2008, 10:57 PM
Check out the pic (http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/counterbore.JPG). Its not a good picture, but the counterbored muzzle is on the left; see the new crown set down inside the barrel?

lionking
January 20, 2008, 12:20 AM
ok yeah I see that,looks pretty easy to spot.thanks for the info.

Vaarok
January 20, 2008, 09:57 AM
It's basically the same as cutting-back and recrowning, except recessed inside the muzzle rather than just chopping.

Cosmoline
January 20, 2008, 08:57 PM
I mentione this in another thread but are you sure this is a true counterbore? The 1911's I've seen all have recessed crowns to protect them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Counterboring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!