What do you think, too big??

PDA

barneyfife.357
January 19, 2008, 06:33 AM
Recently I have ventured into the market for a large bore rifle. I have played with varmint calibers and I have a 25-06 for deer and a 308 for a plinker on the "range" but I want something big. what is your take on the .416 barrett, 50 BMG, 338 lapua, etc

what are the major advantages/disadvantages that I may be overlooking while trying to decide on a caliber? I have pretty much ruled out the 50, but it is always nice to have the largest.

What are the plans for such a rifle you ask? well lets put some holes in paper at say 800, 1000, 1500 meters? Maybe, I will start hunting the broken down cars in the back forty from oh say the back porch.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you think, too big??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chipperman
January 19, 2008, 08:14 AM
The biggest issue with those big ones is cost. Do you reload?

erict
January 19, 2008, 10:22 AM
I don't know how much it costs to shoot 338 or 416 but the 50bmg is around $3 for regular ball ammo. Cost is a definite disadvantage but the fun you have while shooting and the smile on your face is priceless.

simmonsguns
January 19, 2008, 10:50 AM
Just finished a 338 lapua, CZ550 action, lothar/walther barrel, protype stock and a sure fire brake.
At $50.00 something a box (10 rounds) for the 338 lapua, i hope the customer has a good supply of money.
Price for the parts is also a consideration, $500.00 an item covers most of the major parts for the build, barrel, action,stock,bottom metal, fitting all of it together. it adds up quickly.
The next project is a shorter barrel 416 rigby, now i need to figure out how short is too short for water buffalo in heavy cover.

barneyfife.357
January 19, 2008, 03:53 PM
yeah I figured price and finding a range that will let me shoot, I want to start reloading, but should I reload other calibers before jumping to such a large caliber? kinda like practice... not that I want to blow any gun up but the less expensive would be better for a mistake

loki.fish
January 20, 2008, 08:47 AM
From experience where I am, it seems most don't allow .50 BMG but anything else. Guess they don't know that there are a few other calibers that can fly around the same distance as a .50.

After looking up some ammo, it seems .338 Lapua, .416 Barrett, and .50 BMG are roughly the same price. You might get lucky and find some milsurp .50 BMG a bit cheaper than anything else, but they're all still around $5.00 a shot. I got a .50 because I wanted the biggest and it's the caliber all the gun grabbers seem to want to ban outright. Got it just in case I wouldn't get another chance. Otherwise I would have done a bit more research into the
.408 Cheytac and .338 Lapua.

Wes Janson
January 20, 2008, 03:34 PM
Realistic market price for .50 BMG in decent quantities (>100 rds) is hovering between $3 to $4, depending on source. Barrett is a bit pricier, if you can find it, while Prvi Partisan is just at $3, as I recall.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you think, too big??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!