I got a great deal on Colt Police Positives

PDA

Clark
July 29, 2003, 09:38 AM
At AIM 3 years ago they a clearance on these surplus pistols.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/
No grips and no returns $80 each.
I got 5 of them for destructive tests.
The arrived with walnut grips, the police logo welded over on the backstrap, with lots of blueing wear, and almost new mechanical condition.

What I like about the design is the tight lock up.
Many hot loads later, they still lock up perfectly tight.

The best ammo is 158 gr JHP.
I am not that great a pistol shot, but I know someone who is, and when he shoots one of these Colt PPs, he gets great groups.

Every time I deal with AIM, I am always pleased. The have great stuff and they understate it.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=402706

If you enjoyed reading about "I got a great deal on Colt Police Positives" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
July 29, 2003, 10:45 AM
$80 bucks...well done! How many have you gone through since you bought them for 'destructive purposes?'

Clark
July 29, 2003, 01:25 PM
Two have split cylinders and broken top staps.

I have three left.

One has the handle cut down so a Colt Agent sized gripper grip fits and has been reamed to 357 mag and the main spring has been tweeked so that magnum primers can be used in double action.

The other two are unfired by me.

The weird thing is, except for my model 29, I like Colt Police Positives better than my other revolvers.

I am not going to blow any more up, but the one in 357 mag is going to get more LIL'GUN loads until the recoil destroys the nerves and bones in my right hand.

Cosmoline
July 29, 2003, 02:27 PM
The PPS is a great revolver. I think they get a bad rap as older, inferiour cousins to the S&W line. But I found mine to be one of the most accurate small revolvers I've ever owned. And it's very light--something like 21 ounces.

Cosmoline
July 29, 2003, 05:01 PM
Yeah, why ARE you blowing them up? I think I'm going to found the Colt Liberation Front and start writing stern letters of protest! :scrutiny:

Gordon
July 29, 2003, 08:08 PM
Clark: PLEASE don't be blowing up any more P.P. specials PLEASE.:confused:

4v50 Gary
July 29, 2003, 09:35 PM
$80? Had I had know, I would have bought half a dozen. Dunno what I would have done with them? Maybe make a working plaque or roulette type game board?

Majic
July 30, 2003, 12:53 AM
Alot of people swear by J-framed Smiths, but I'll take a D-framed Colt anyday over the Smith.

usnavymasterchief
July 31, 2003, 04:03 PM
My Dad was a LEO back in the 40's and early 50's. He bought his Police Positive .38spl brand new for $65.00, he carried it for 20 years. I learned to shoot with it and loved that gun. When he passed away many years ago, my sister snagged it up, her husband snapped the hammer off and gave it to their 10 year old boy who played cops and robbers with it and left it outside to rust away, what a shame. I really loved that gun.

seeker_two
August 4, 2003, 11:41 AM
Yeah, why ARE you blowing them up?

If you need to test something to destruction, get a Glock .40--they blow themseves up...:evil:

Leave them good old Colts alone. Or send them to me where they'll be well-cared for...:D

If you enjoyed reading about "I got a great deal on Colt Police Positives" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!