.223 questions

PDA

VetteV12
January 19, 2008, 10:06 PM
I'm going to be buying a .223 for varmints/coyote hunting and the 2 that I've narrowed it down to is the savage arms 10 predator hunter and thier 12FVSS. The main differance is that the predator is a heavy 22" barrel with full cammo over the gun, and the 12FVSS is stianless with a 26" bull and fluted barrel. Both have the same twist of 1:9.

If you enjoyed reading about ".223 questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
351 WINCHESTER
January 19, 2008, 10:10 PM
You don't need a 26" bbl. for a .223. It's just a waste of good gun metal.

W.E.G.
January 19, 2008, 10:23 PM

+1

Coltdriver
January 19, 2008, 10:30 PM
The 1 in 9 twist is made to stabilize a bullet over 55 grains.

You might take a look at the ballistics of .223 bullets over 55 grains and ask yourself why you would want to mess with them.

A standard 1 in 12 twist .223 is a great 235 yard flat shooter. With a 55 grain bullet or less.

The 1 in 9 twist may not help at all with a 40 grain bullet.

You will start to get a fairly significant arc with a bullet much over 55 grains when shooting from a .223. regardless of the twist.

Savage makes a great rifle. I would look for one with a 1 in 12 twist if I were buying .223 for shooting coyotes. And my experience is that a 22 to a 24 inch barrel is all you need. In fact it may well be the case that a 26 inch barrel is slower for the same charge than a 22 inch barrel.

SlamFire1
January 19, 2008, 10:31 PM

Yes, I don't think you are going to get much if any useful velocity from the longer barrel. Just check to see if you like the balance and if it fits in a gun case.

I have some 26" barreled match rifles. In 308 you get a trifle more velocity and a bit more sight radius. But they don't balance as well as my 24" barreled rifles and they are harder to fit in a case.

jhansman
January 19, 2008, 10:59 PM
I have the Savage 12VLP (almost got the 12FVSS, but opted for the other), and it is easily the most accurate rifle I have yet shot. Yes, it's big with that 26" barrel, but if you are varminting from a fixed spot, the gun size ought not matter that much, and the extra 4" will serve you.

skinewmexico
January 20, 2008, 12:49 AM
My 1-7 Savage shoots 80g Berger VLDs very well from 500 yards out. I'd get the 12, so if I wanted to change the barrel and do something else with it some day, it wouldn't look so Fuddite.

I feel the same way about a fully camo'd rifle. People killed coyotes for years with out it. And you can get a camo job that is just as effective with a couple of cans of Krylon.

stubbicatt
January 20, 2008, 11:44 AM
I have a longer barrel on my CZ which has the slower 12 inch twist. It balances nicely.

I've owned and shot the heavy barrel rifles, and I really think that a properly manufactured rifle with a "skinny" barrel will shoot as well as the heavy barrels, and it is so much more pleasant to carry.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/stubbicatt/IMG_0208.jpg

rangerruck
January 20, 2008, 01:22 PM
Really, you may need to move fast, and track, and that could be hard and entangleing to do with a 26 in bbl. the full cammo job one from savage, was made for , and designed specifically for, yote hunting, so that should tell you something. the 26 in bbl job, is made for dog towns, and target shooting to long range. Plus , if you are gonna hump around in the woods, a 26 in bbl is much heavier, and gets hung up easier , on a lot of F(*& you vines.

vmfrantz
January 20, 2008, 02:08 PM
I agree with stubbycat that a smaller contour barrle can shoot just as well. Although that only works for me when I dont shoot a lot of rounds consecutivly. You will need to give the barrle time to cool between shots. I know, I have tried this.

trstafford
January 20, 2008, 11:44 PM
If you are stuck on getting a 223 then consider this CZ in 223

http://cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=15

If you are wanting the rifle and the cartridge is not a problem consider stepping up to 22-250 or 243 in the long barrel they will better utilize the longer barrel length.

If you enjoyed reading about ".223 questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!