Can you help me identify this rifle

PDA

stephanie532
January 20, 2008, 10:24 PM
I think my dad used it to hunt deer. The serial no is 54855. There are no other markings on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can you help me identify this rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wilson
January 20, 2008, 10:27 PM
It would help if you had a pic.:confused:

yenchisks
January 20, 2008, 10:29 PM
What kind of action doe s it have?

stephanie532
January 20, 2008, 10:31 PM
Bolt action.

dscottw88
January 20, 2008, 10:32 PM
Pics.....

jerkface11
January 20, 2008, 10:36 PM
This is the hardest "guess this gun" thread EVER. I'm going to say savage model 10.

Sam1911
January 20, 2008, 10:37 PM
I saw a rifle fitting that description once. Might have been the same kind. Different serial number though.

:neener:

-Sam

hksw
January 20, 2008, 10:42 PM
I gotta say, this is one of the funniest posts I've seen.

stephanie532
January 20, 2008, 10:47 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2235/2207533923_8235d461a6_b.jpg

stephanie532
January 20, 2008, 10:48 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2198/2207535213_a401fb6b22_b.jpg

MechAg94
January 20, 2008, 10:52 PM
Hey, I see pictures now!!! :)

Sam1911
January 20, 2008, 10:52 PM
Hi!

Sorry, my wife says my previous reply was "rude." I was just having a chuckle.

Some questions to help narrow things down: Answer all you can.

1) Where is the safety and how does it work?
2) Can you see an "external" extractor claw that rides along beside the bolt?
3) How does the bolt release work? (Meaning what do you do to be able to remove the bolt from the rifle completely?)
4) What is the stock made of and how is it shaped? Is there a "hump" along the top of the stock where your cheek rests? What does the forward end of the fore-arm look like?
5) What cartridge is it chambered for?
6) Is there a metal plate on the bottom of the stock just in front of the trigger guard, or is it all wood from the trigger guard forward? (This would be the floorplate of the magazine.) If there is a plate, is it hinged so you can open it? If so, how do you release it?
7) Is there, by chance, a removable magazine box?
8) Look at the bolt handle. Is it straight? Is it bent downwards? Is it bent down and back a bit? Does it have a ball-shaped end? Does the end have flat facets on it or is it a sphere, or a flattened blade shape, or???
9) What are the sights like?

And anything else you can think of.

Few of these items will tell what rifle it is without further info, and most of them could have been changed over the years, but it is a start.

Keep the info coming!

-Sam

EDIT: Ok, pics now, COOL! Still, answer the questions that aren't obvious from the pics, or use the question list as suggestions for taking more detailed pics.

Spiggy
January 20, 2008, 10:55 PM
It's an arisaka action

I have no clue, don't listen to me :/ I popped my back earlier today

-Could be T30 Meiji or T1 Carcano contract -I'll need pictures of the bolt

stephanie532
January 20, 2008, 10:56 PM
here's a link, but the pictures came through on another computer.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2235/2207533923_8235d461a6_b.jpg

Chuck Dye
January 20, 2008, 11:03 PM
Can you manage close up photos of the action from the bolt side? The bolt end, perhaps cocking piece, looks unusual and will help identification. The dangley bit in front of the trigger is unusual and a closeup of that would be helpful, too. It may be helpful, too, to take the barreled action out of the stock and inspect the hidden areas for markings.

Bear with us, please. We are a more or less polite bunch, and willing to help, but your initial post does not offer much to go on.

Edit: Wups! a lot more photos and info appeared while I typed.

stephanie532
January 20, 2008, 11:04 PM
1) Where is the safety and how does it work
i don't see a safety anywhere on it
2) Can you see an "external" extractor claw that rides along beside the bolt?
next question
3) How does the bolt release work? (Meaning what do you do to be able to remove the bolt from the rifle completely?)
next question
4) What is the stock made of and how is it shaped? Is there a "hump" along the top of the stock where your cheek rests? What does the forward end of the fore-arm look like?
5) What cartridge is it chambered for? don't know
6) Is there a metal plate on the bottom of the stock just in front of the trigger guard, or is it all wood from the trigger guard forward? (This would be the floorplate of the magazine.) If there is a plate, is it hinged so you can open it? If so, how do you release it?
7) Is there, by chance, a removable magazine box? no, a spring clip
8) Look at the bolt handle. Is it straight? Is it bent downwards? Is it bent down and back a bit? Does it have a ball-shaped end? Does the end have flat facets on it or is it a sphere, or a flattened blade shape, or???
bends downward and a ball shaped end
9) What are the sights like?
none, it has a scope

that's all i know...laugh away

joab
January 20, 2008, 11:05 PM
It started life as a Jap Arisaka and then got sporterized probably sometime in the 60's or 70's
30.06 was a common rechambering at that time which is very close to the original 7.7
I believe 30.06 will chamber and fire unsafely in an original so be sure before you shoot it
Look under the front of the scope and see if there is a Mum or a ground down spot
That will tell you when it came to America

There will be some other symbols stamped around the receiver that will tell you where it was made

It does not appear to be a last ditch

Check here for references to the markings
http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

Spiggy
January 20, 2008, 11:11 PM
lift the bolt handle, find the box thing on the left side of the gun and pull on the box, it's actually a lever

Then pull the bolt out of the gun

One clear picture of the bolt, and your gun is IDed correctly

stephanie532
January 20, 2008, 11:13 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2154/2208395508_8d03b100e9_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2238/2207602045_f04db6d684_b.jpg

stephanie532
January 20, 2008, 11:23 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2196/2207628441_2c54ce44c7_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2279/2207625961_6212e046f3_b.jpg

joab
January 20, 2008, 11:24 PM
1) Where is the safety and how does it work

That big bulbous knob on the behind the bolt
You get someone to help you pull it back a rotate it clockwise
To disengage you just thumb it back counterclockwise

Here's the original configuration
http://www.tatranci.sk/zbrane/arisaka/arisaka99.jpg

takhtakaal
January 20, 2008, 11:27 PM
Stephanie, so long as that bolt is out of the rifle, it won't be doing anything. If you're concerned, just wrap it up in a cloth hankie and put it on a shelf for now.

stephanie532
January 20, 2008, 11:33 PM
takhtakaal,
i was never "concerned", thank you. I just wanted to id it, since it belonged to my deceased father. On the flip side, if you ever need medical advice send a msg, and I'll be happy to give you similar advice.
Thanks again

Spiggy
January 20, 2008, 11:34 PM
it's a T-99, the tang was cut for the replacement stock

:P tricky!

Malamute
January 20, 2008, 11:34 PM
Steph, the information you have recieved so far have been good. The gun is a World War 2 period Japanese military rifle that has been sporterized. This was pretty common back in the 60's and 70's.

As far as what caliber it is, do you have any of the ammunition that was used in this gun, even any empty shells? You would have to be absolutely certain that they were used only in this exact gun to get any useful information from the shells. It may be in the original Japanese caliber, or it may have been rechambered or rebarreled to another caliber. With no ammo that positively was used in this gun, and no markings, a chamber cast can be done to determine the proper chambering and ammunition to use.

It's nice to have something from family, even if you never use it. It means something to have it.

stephanie532
January 20, 2008, 11:37 PM
thanks for your help...and your patience!!!

takhtakaal
January 20, 2008, 11:38 PM
takhtakaal,
i was never "concerned", thank you. I just wanted to id it, since it belonged to my deceased father. On the flip side, if you ever need medical advice send a msg, and I'll be happy to give you similar advice.
Thanks again

You asked about a safety, which wouldn't have much necessarily to do with IDing a bolt-action rifle -- many have them in one form or another. I intuited concern, and I wasn't being condescending. My apologies for having ruffled your feathers.

Matt-J2
January 20, 2008, 11:49 PM
Takhtakaal, the OP isn't the one who asked about the safety. ;)

takhtakaal
January 20, 2008, 11:52 PM
You're right, it was someone else. My bad.

joab
January 20, 2008, 11:53 PM
If it was professionally sporterized as this one seems to have been the new chambering should be marked on the barrel

I had two of these thirty years ago
One was original and one was professionally reworked with a cut and recrowned barrel, beautiful bluing and a great Reinhardt Fajer stock
The only problem with it was that the trigger only set the hammer you had to work the bolt to get it to fire

Dad came down to see how my new rifle shot and I showed him how smart I was to figure out that you could pull the trigger, keep the gun on target and thumb up the bolt to make it shoot

That was the first time I can remember Dad calling me a dumbass
Don't know what he did with the gun but I never saw it again

Spiggy
January 20, 2008, 11:56 PM
when I saw the trigger guard & magazine, I thought Arisaka on the spot; the bolt handle was rough at the end, so it had to be originally a part of the gun- a well made stock and scope mount and the gunsmith didn't do any work to round off the bolt handle? gah! Someone was lazy!

The second thought was "mauser" however, most mausers have a safety on the side, or the big block at the end of the bolt with the flag safety. This however looked to have a round knob, another feature on latter-developed arisakas. Earlier (Type 1, Type 30, Type 35) arisakas have a hook

The missing tang made it tricky because the Arisaka strong tang is one of the more uncommon features the Arisaka utilizes. To compensate for the softer woods they find in Japan, they used the steel tangs to strengthen that grip where the wood can easily break.

The bolt seals the deal; big one-piece monster with three lugs and a giant extractor claw and the knob at the end :D

stephanie532
January 21, 2008, 12:46 AM
something I found to further prove your id, Spiggy
http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html
Under japanese rifle manufacturers, it's the 3rd marking down.
Nagoya Arsenal
Thanks again!

joab
January 21, 2008, 08:19 AM
Wow, even the newbies ignore me now

If you enjoyed reading about "Can you help me identify this rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!