FAL noob needs help...

PDA

Bigjake
January 21, 2008, 12:37 AM
Ok, I've had this wonderful weapon for a couple years, and shot it with no issues whatsoever. Today at the gunshow I got a wild hair and decided it needed new black furniture. my question is simple;

How do I get the bloody spring back in the tube thinger in the buttstock?? I've got like 2 foot of spring that needs to go into 10 in of tube.

Help??

If you enjoyed reading about "FAL noob needs help..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gator
January 21, 2008, 12:42 AM
Just use the buttstock tool (http://www.gunthings.com/faltools.htm) of course! :D

And here's (http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/falstock.html) how to make your own.

Bigjake
January 21, 2008, 12:44 AM
Smartass :neener:

Any way of getting this back together without aforementioned tool?? I'll order it if I must, but for now its in pieces.

Gator
January 21, 2008, 01:31 AM
Not that I know of. Did you check out the second link? It looks pretty simple to make your own.

W.E.G.
January 21, 2008, 03:14 AM
I still don't understand.

Is there a movie or a cartoon that explains this better?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/springface.jpg

Ash
January 21, 2008, 07:52 AM
Yeah, the tool, whether bought or built, is the best way. It's an angry octopus otherwise.

Ash

Bigjake
January 21, 2008, 08:52 AM
Ah, thanks. I had browser issues the first time and it wasn't showing the hyperlinks Gator posted.

W.E.G.- Ouch. I can totally sympathise with ya man, my jeans are trashed now too.

Cannonball888
January 21, 2008, 11:30 AM
How do I get the bloody spring back in the tube thinger in the buttstock??
You must have an L1A1, guvner. ;)

Bwana John
January 21, 2008, 11:32 AM
If you dont have the correct tool a pistol cleaning rod will work. You just have to push real hard for the threads to enguage at first.

ditchdigger
January 21, 2008, 01:48 PM
I have built a few FAL's, I had the same problem on the first one, then I got the buttstock tool. On the first one I ended up using a long philips screwdriver to hold the springs in place and then just push the cap into the tube and screw in a couple of turns with your fingers,then you can remove the philips and tighten with a regular slotted driver. make sure you get a couple of turns on the cap or you will get a face full of springs again.

silverlance
January 21, 2008, 02:33 PM
ALWAYS wear safety glasses! they are dirt cheap and if you really cant afford one I can give you one for free, just pay the two bucks shipping (I got a bunch from CDNN as giveaways). I personally know a guy who had to go to the hospital because he was a moron and managed to scar his eyeball putting a shotgun back together.

Bigjake
January 21, 2008, 09:27 PM
Just wait til i post a pic of the stain on our living room cealing...

Nameless_Hobo
January 21, 2008, 10:20 PM
An AK's cleaning rod works famously for this purpose. If you can guide it in with that, push REALLY hard, and get the threads started, it's cake from there.

I used a small screwdriver in the groove in the side to help get it started.

buttrap
January 21, 2008, 11:49 PM
Thats what I use too.....AK rod.

If you enjoyed reading about "FAL noob needs help..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!