M1A, yeah or neigh?

PDA

Jason_G
January 21, 2008, 01:28 AM
Well, I've been wanting an M14 for a really long time, and since there is unfortunately a very good chance that our next president will reinstate the AWB, should I save up and get an M1A? I was looking at the Loaded model. Would I be better off buying a FAL style rifle instead? How is Springfield's quality? Will I end up trying to replace everything with USGI parts?

Jason

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A, yeah or neigh?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Andrewsky
January 21, 2008, 02:00 AM
The M14 is the Ferrari of semi-automatic rifles.

readyme
January 21, 2008, 02:04 AM
I am thinking along the same lines...but $1400 or so is pretty steep...especially when compared to a new AR can be had for about $800 to my door, or an SKS for less than $350.
I really need to try a Sprinfield M1A and compare it to an AR...that will make up my mind for me...wish I could rent rifles, but there are only handgun rentals here.

Does anybody have a lead on M1A's at a good price?

W.E.G.
January 21, 2008, 02:09 AM
If the M1A is the rifle you really want, you shouldn't consider anything else.

We could debate the relative "economy" of other rifles, and the features of other rifles.

But, SOME OTHER RIFLE is not what you want.

The M1A is a fine rifle.

Act now, or risk that you will never hold your piece.

Andrewsky
January 21, 2008, 02:09 AM
I just bought an M1A Standard at Sportsman's Warehouse for $1249.99.

I plan on keeping it for about sixty years so the price was irrelevant.

You may not like my opinion, but M14s are Ferraris, AR15s are Hondas, and SKSs are junk compared to M14s.

By the way, there is absolutely nothing wrong with SA, Inc. M1As. I don't like their name but their product is excellent. You may want to trade out for a different stock, but they are very good rifles. My two 2007 built SA, Inc. M1As even have USGI H and R trigger groups.

Edit: You might want to check out some FALs too.

mattw
January 21, 2008, 02:21 AM
I've had my Springfield M1A for about 6 years now. Best rifle I've ever owned. I out shoot AR15s all day long with iron sights.

Only down side: Ammo is expensive.

silverlance
January 21, 2008, 02:34 AM
Is there a difference between Norinco and Polytech M1A / M14s? or are they different names for the same gun?

I've also heard many times that Polytech receivers are the only ones that are truly USGI spec; that they are excellent receivers. Why, then, do they need to be converted to use a USGI bolt?

readyme
January 21, 2008, 02:35 AM
How expensive is ammo?

silverlance
January 21, 2008, 03:16 AM
about .50 a round

H2O MAN
January 21, 2008, 10:19 AM
Is there a difference between Norinco and Polytech M1A / M14s? or are they different names for the same gun?

I've also heard many times that Polytech receivers are the only ones that are truly USGI spec; that they are excellent receivers.
Why, then, do they need to be converted to use a USGI bolt?

Norinco & Poly Tech are basically the same M14 with different markings.
A USGI bolt conversion is not 100% necessary, but it's not a bad idea.
Head space can be an issue, a bolt conversion will eliminate this issue.
You do not have to change the barrel when the conversion is done.

The Chinese receiver is forged and it is the closest to USGI dimensions.
Smith Enterprise, Inc. receivers are closer to USGI dimensions, but they are very rare.
As long as they continue making the changes SEI recommends LRB receivers will be as
good or better than the ChiCom receiver soon. Each production run is better than the last.

All 8 of my M14 type rifles are Norinco or Poly Tech. 4 have USGI bolts and SEI barrels.

HTH ~

ArmedBear
January 21, 2008, 10:21 AM
The M1A is a fun but expensive way to work on upper body strength.

Cannonball888
January 21, 2008, 10:26 AM
about .50 a round
Best Mil-Surp .308 ammo is Portugese if you can find it. I know a guy who shoots sub MOA with it in a Super Match M1A.

stubbicatt
January 21, 2008, 10:36 AM
Handloading will improve your accuracy at a reasonable price point.

MassMark
January 21, 2008, 10:54 AM
Yea...

james_bond
January 21, 2008, 12:19 PM
I lust for the SCOM 16 but it is just too much $$$.

glockman19
January 21, 2008, 12:20 PM
YES get the M1A. I have a SA M1A loaded and love it. Accurate for me out to 800 yards withe the right ammo. Sub MOA groups at 100 yards. Finally a piece of history.

Prices begin around $1,200 up.

nicholst55
January 21, 2008, 12:48 PM
The difference between the M1A and the AR-15 is more than just about the rifles. It's also about the cartridges. Both will kill you; both will make holes in a paper target; .308 or 7.62 is nearly twice the price of .223 or 5.56, and rightfully so. I'm not a '.308 snob,' as I own and shoot several ARs in .22 LR, 9mm, and .223. However, the two cartridges just don't compare as far as lethality and penetration go. There, I've said it.

Both cartridges have their applications, and I wouldn't want to be shot with either one. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Buy the M1A - you won't regret it!

SlamFire1
January 21, 2008, 01:05 PM
I think highly of the SA receivers. I am about to rebarrel for the second time a rear lugged Super Match that I purchased about 1992. I won my last leg and a Regional Gold with a SA factory Super Match, I consider them fine, reliable and accurate rifles..

You do have to watch them, the old match rifles have screws “unitizing” the gas cylinder. These screws will get pounded loose in time. I think unitizing the gas cylinder with welds is the better way to go. Also have had a unpinned op rod guide come loose. So I peened the barrel spline and drilled and pinned the operating rod guide myself. That has held for about 4000 rounds.

The Springfield Armory rifles were the most common civilian version of the M14 on the firing line for years, and they are well thought of by those who used them. Most of the match rifles of this period used GI parts for the trigger assembly, bolt, operating rod, gas cylinder and flash suppressor. If equipped with such parts you had a rifle that would shoot a very long time.

A bud of mine when through six barrels on his SA M1a and it developed a crack above the bolt release. Just a little half moon worth of material cracked off. The rifle was functioning fine, but we harassed him about the duct tape holding the chip on. Even though he had gone through six barrels (about 30,000 rounds) and the receiver was at least ten to fifteen years old, SA replaced his receiver for free. I consider that good customer service. And considering that my friend shot at least $15,000 worth of ammo through that receiver, he got good service. By the way, all the other parts, gas cylinder, bolt, trigger group, flash suppressor, were checked out and were good.

I do like the fact that SA has added material to the sidewall of the receiver. The GI configuration of receiver was lightened as much as possible to meet a unrealistic weight requirement. If a M14 receiver is going to crack through fatigue, is will be in the sidewall. The bolt goes back and bounces off the rear of the receiver, in time all those impacts add up.

Reinforced SA sidewall

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M1a%20and%20Garand%20Receiver%20Pictures/ReducedDSCN6759SAM1areceiverrightsi.jpg

I have been able to examine a couple of LRB receivers. (LRB OF LONG ISLAND, INC. 32 Cherry Lane , Floral Park , N.Y. 11001
Phone: 516-327-9061) Lou is making an outstanding forged receiver out of 8620. A bud purchased a rear lugged version, and I got pictures. I like that LRB drilled a hole and supplied a screw for the lug. Overall the receiver looked great, but the gunsmith will have to tell us how well the parts fit on the rifle. Lou is cutting these to GI dimensions and you can see in the sidewall picture that his follows the GI contour.

These are very expensive, but they are the only US forged receivers made.

LRB Receiver

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M1a%20and%20Garand%20Receiver%20Pictures/ReducedNicesideview.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M1a%20and%20Garand%20Receiver%20Pictures/ReducedRailreceiverrightinside.jpg

GunTech
January 21, 2008, 01:11 PM
OK, as a huge M1A fan it's time to clear some thing up.

The M1A won't outshoot a similarly tweaked AR. There's a reason the AR rules service rifle matches.

The M1A can be made to shoot very well, however. Sub M)A can be done, but not with surplus ammo and not with a standard military barrel. Be prepared to spend lots of money if you want sub MOA accuracy.

That being said, the standard M1A is typically a 2 MOA rifle with just about any halfway decent surplus ammo - at least if you have a reasonably tight stock. It's no problem to engage targets out to 600 yards if the shooter knows what they are doing.

Mounting optics can be a pain, as the M1A tends to be very hard on mounts. If you want to scope one, buy a good quality steel or titanium mount.

If your eyes are good, the iron sights on the M1A are some of the best ever put on a service rifle.

Springfield makes a good rifle, and they back it with an outstanding warrantee. Fulton Armory and LRB both put out what are arguably 'better' rifles, and you pay extra for the privilege.

Around here, a standard grade M1A goes for about $1200, and you can find used ones for under $1k. I prefer the synthetic GI stock, as these are less affected by weather and are a little slimmer.

You best deal is probably the 'loaded' model, that comes with national match sights, a medium weight match barrel and a NM trigger. Price is typically around $1700.

If you can live with lesser accuracy and prefer lighter weight, grab the standard model. You can always upgrade later.

Matt-J2
January 21, 2008, 01:20 PM
I say nay!
Really only out of jealousy for those who can afford them, though. :p Actually, not sure I'd buy one if I could, though not due to lack of quality.

If I said neigh, somebody might try and ride me off into the sunset.:eek:

silverlance
January 21, 2008, 01:40 PM
The Chinese receiver is forged and it is the closest to USGI dimensions.
Smith Enterprise, Inc. receivers are closer to USGI dimensions, but they are very rare.
As long as they continue making the changes SEI recommends LRB receivers will be as
good or better than the ChiCom receiver soon. Each production run is better than the last.

thanks. im more of a FAL guy (could you tell?) but I've always wanted an M14. a guy is offering me a norinco m14 with about 160-200 rounds through it for $800. if the bolt conversion isn't really necessary, then I guess I wont worry and buy it. at $200 for the bolt and $125 for the labor, a "cheap" norinco isnt so cheap anymore. it's too bad that the norinco receivers aren't exactly the same as usgi, though... it would be a drop in bolt replacement otherwise.

1KPerDay
January 21, 2008, 01:42 PM
The M1A is a great rifle, but you guys must not have spent too many hours around ferraris... lol. Think of a really expensive rifle that needs hugely expensive maintenance and rebuilds every 1000 rounds... THAT's the ferrari of rifles. :D:D:D:D

Scorpiusdeus
January 21, 2008, 02:02 PM
I bought a used M1A Standard about seven months ago. It took some getting used to, but it is a fine weapon.

There is something very sexy about the M14/M1A that many others rifles do not possess.

I now want a Scout or Socom.

You mention the possible ban that we all live in fear of. I would think the M1A would be one of the last to be banned vs say an AR or AK.

I too have been toying with getting a CA legal AR or just an OLL so I can build my own AR in the future.

.308/7.62x51 is NOT cheap. Be prepared.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
January 21, 2008, 02:11 PM
Had one---didn't like it---now have a DSA FAL---much happier now.

H2O MAN
January 21, 2008, 02:26 PM
it's too bad that the norinco receivers aren't exactly the same as usgi, though... it would be a drop in bolt replacement otherwise.

Check your head space.

buck00
January 21, 2008, 02:29 PM
Be careful of breaking the bank buying an M1A and being "rifle poor" where you can't shoot the thing because .308 is through the roof. I love my M1A but don't shoot it as much as my other firearms due to the price.

While you should save up- don't get a "the sky is falling" mentality about the next election. I could see a ban on imports and AKs before M1As.

meef
January 21, 2008, 02:34 PM
M1A, yeah or neigh?:scrutiny:

WTH?

You're asking for opinions from the horses in the forum?

hobgob
January 21, 2008, 02:34 PM
Look around on gun broker, maybe even craigs list. a buddy of mine just picked up a socom II and a remingtion 700 with very nice scope for 1200 from a guy on craigs list. he was gettin rid of his collection apparently, had about 15 rifles and handguns and was selling them all, wife must have finely wore him down or somethin. anyway, the guy took care of his rifles and the result was that m buddy got two very nice guns in almost perfect condition, both had the boxes they came in and more. so check around, you might get a good deal too.

armed85
January 21, 2008, 02:36 PM
If you don't have the money right now, another option would be to buy as many 20 round M14 magazines as you can afford.

Assuming another farcical ban should happen, the M1A that Springfield Armory sells does not have a bayonet lug or pistol grip. The only evil features it has are a flash suppressor and magazines over 10 rounds.

With a wood stock and 10 round magazine, most gun grabbing liberals wouldn't know the different between the M1A and any other hunting rifle.

Keep in mind the Democrats need to win both the Presidency and a majority in Congress otherwise Democratic pet bills like the AWB, government run health care, etc. aren't likely to pass.

Scorpiusdeus
January 21, 2008, 03:51 PM
If you don't have the money right now, another option would be to buy as many 20 round M14 magazines as you can afford.

That's not a bad idea. I did this back in the late eighties here in CA. I had 20 round M1A mags and 20 and 30 round AR mags all nice and wrapped us years before I bought my M1A ans I still don't have an AR.

I knew I'd someday buy these rifles and I would just buy at gun shows. I wasn't even preparing for a ban, but when it came I was covered.

Jason_G
January 21, 2008, 03:53 PM
WTH?

You're asking for opinions from the horses in the forum?
neigh.. nay. :banghead:
Whoops.

Jason

geekWithA.45
January 21, 2008, 05:37 PM
Yea or nay, huh?

I vote yea.

Thing is, you need to be OK with the soul of the m-14 platform.

Its nature is battle rifle. It'll shoot 2-4 moa, which is minute of commie/alQ @ 500 yards after you've dropped it off a small cliff into a muddy river and rinsed out the action with your canteen.

Sure, you can accurize it and turn it into a cranky safe queen, but that's not what it was designed for.

IMO, your best bang for the bux are std "loaded", and scout squad.

hoji
January 21, 2008, 06:08 PM
I was going to buy the M1A but decided to get the DPMS LR308 instead. Mounting optics was the deal killer for the M1A. I love the Springfields but the DPMS is a better hunting platform.{ In my opinion}

Jason_G
January 21, 2008, 06:57 PM
I was going to buy the M1A but decided to get the DPMS LR308 instead. Mounting optics was the deal killer for the M1A. I love the Springfields but the DPMS is a better hunting platform.{ In my opinion}
Well, I hunt mostly here in NW Louisiana, and the woods are thick. Real thick. Scopes are more of a liability than anything else (unless you are hunting on a pipeline or power line). Optics mounting is not a big issue for me.

Jason

H2O MAN
January 21, 2008, 07:08 PM
I hunt mostly here in NW Louisiana, and the woods are thick. Real thick. Scopes are more of a liability than anything else...

You may want to consider an 18.0" barrel with a GLFS and a Cali-Legal DC Vortex compensator. This will give you a
shorter, handier package that allows quick follow up shots and it will accept a Fisher sound suppressor if you so desire.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/SEI-DC-CaliComp-2.jpg

Jason_G
January 21, 2008, 09:20 PM
You may want to consider an 18.0" barrel with a GLFS and a Cali-Legal DC Vortex compensator. This will give you a
shorter, handier package that allows quick follow up shots and it will accept a Fisher sound suppressor if you so desire.
Would the shorter barrel decrease accuracy? I might still target shoot with irons some, I'd hate to lose long range accuracy or increase drop a whole lot. I do admit the shorter package is enticing though. It would be easier to get through the brush with. That's one thing I've always liked about lever action 30-30's. They're real manageable when hoofing it through the woods.

Jason

Rshooter
January 21, 2008, 10:35 PM
I own an M1A standard and unfortunately it probably will be on the short list but let's not go there until we have to. Please buy one made by free labor, not dubious means. If you can afford it you will not regret it.

Semper Fi

H2O MAN
January 21, 2008, 10:38 PM
Would the shorter barrel decrease accuracy? I might still target shoot with irons some, I'd hate to lose long range accuracy or increase drop a whole lot.
I do admit the shorter package is enticing though. It would be easier to get through the brush with.
Shorter barrels are more rigid and have less whip than the standard barrel.
The 18's are usually a little more accurate and have an effective range of over 700 yards.
The GLFS-D-18 accepts a national match front sight and works perfectly well with standard USGI rear sights.

Wes Janson
January 21, 2008, 10:50 PM
Would the shorter barrel decrease accuracy?

A shorter barrel will not have any particular difference in accuracy, and will only cost you about 150 FPS of muzzle velocity. It's lighter, easier to handle, and for the 18" models, still has complete parts interchangeability with the standard-length rifles.

EDIT: H20 beat me to the punch. I can't say for sure that 18" is more accurate, but it certainly isn't less accurate than 21".

Rshooter
January 21, 2008, 11:21 PM
I own an M1A standard and unfortunately it probably will be on the short list but let's not go there until we have to. Please buy one made by free labor, not dubious means. If you can afford it you will not regret it.

Semper Fi

Sorry Guys

ROMAK IV
January 21, 2008, 11:25 PM
It depends. We have one section of the last gun ban bill, named HR 1022:

`(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means any of the following:

`(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:

`(i) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;

`(ii) AR-10;

`(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;

`(iv) AR70;

`(v) Calico Liberty;

`(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;

`(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;

`(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;

`(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;

`(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;

`(xi) M1 Carbine;

`(xii) Saiga;

`(xiii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;

`(xiv) SKS with detachable magazine;

`(xv) SLG 95;

`(xvi) SLR 95 or 96;

`(xvii) Steyr AUG;

`(xviii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;

`(xix) Tavor;

`(xx) Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or

`(xxi) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).

So you can see the firearms that are named that would be banned, however, there is another section:

`(D) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine, and that has--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a threaded barrel;

`(iii) a pistol grip;

`(iv) a forward grip; or

`(v) a barrel shroud.

So would the upper handguard on the M-1A be considered a barrel shroud?

Then there is this little gem:

`(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.

Surely that would kill the M1-A.

Wes Janson
January 22, 2008, 03:24 AM
I love how it bans weapons that cannot be legally brought into this country, and at least one that's never been brought into this country. Brilliant!

possum
January 22, 2008, 11:02 AM
M1A, yeah or nay?
yeah all the way!

for my needs and wants i want the scout model, and if i could buy 2 then i would get the loaded model as well , they are great rifles and i hope to own a sa m1a soon.

1KPerDay
January 22, 2008, 02:27 PM
Had one---didn't like it---now have a DSA FAL---much happier now.
Elaborate?

B.357
January 22, 2008, 02:56 PM
GET IT!!!
I am thinking about one too(i only have an sks and a m44).

GunTech
January 22, 2008, 05:30 PM
The antis aren't stupid. Most of the updated proposed laws I've looked at have added guns that slipped through last time. Not only is the M-14 and all variants mentioned in many of these bills, but even the Mini-14 is now on the list.

GunTech
January 22, 2008, 05:35 PM
Getting back to 18 inch vs 22 inch bbls. If you go for a match barrel, you'll find the number of 18 inch one very limited. IIRC, Kreiger has a 18 match grade. There is no way a 18 inch will compete anywhere near a 22 match bbl.

However, and as noted previously, if you can live with 2 MOA, then a standard bbl weight 18 or 22 inch will shoot about the same. I went from a 22 inch match medium weight to an 18 inch standard and noticed the difference. But the loss of weight and the more compact rifle made for something very handy when hunting, and it is definitely 'Minute of Deer'. In fact, I have hit a man silhouette out to 500 yards with relative ease.

Medusa
January 22, 2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah all the way
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55443&d=1174823522

H2O MAN
January 22, 2008, 05:54 PM
GunTech: There is no way a 18 inch will compete anywhere near a 22 match bbl.
All things being equal, an 18" match barrel will compete/beat a 22" match barrel until
the slightly decreased MV of the shorter barrel becomes an issue at longer ranges.

Vityaz
January 22, 2008, 11:08 PM
Go for it. They're wonderful guns and they get addicting.

Wes Janson
January 22, 2008, 11:52 PM
Crappy pictures, but both targets were at 100 yards. Ammo on the left was Win 168gr Ballistic Silvertip, while the one on the right was a 168gr Hornady Match load, IIRC.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/WesJanson/M1A/3.jpg

Fired from this:

http://www.maj.com/gallery/WesJanson/M1A/5.jpg

kimberfan
January 23, 2008, 01:56 AM
hey wes where did you get the scout rail??

Wes Janson
January 23, 2008, 02:48 AM
It's an Ultimak rail, ordered from Brownell's.

smee781
January 23, 2008, 06:41 AM
Wow 200 for that scout mount.....is it a solid mount?

1KPerDay
January 23, 2008, 11:56 AM
Apparently... look at the target. :D

Great-looking rifle, Wes. I'd put a USGI birch on it and it would be perfect for me. I love the way the flash hider looks on the shorter barrel.

H2O MAN
January 23, 2008, 12:04 PM
Very nice Wes!
What scope is that?

I love the 18" M14s they are my favorite HDWs.
I will move my MK14 Mod 1 action out of my SAGE CQB EBR and into
a modern E2 version of the USGI synthetic stock becomes available :evil:

Andrewsky
January 23, 2008, 04:27 PM
Wes I notice that the top of your op rod is awfully close to your Ultimak. I ended up filing down my Ultimak in that area and then painting it black.

I've got an Aimpoint CompC3 on mine.

colt.45
January 23, 2008, 05:27 PM
actually i think of the m1a as the f-250 of rifles. reliable, good handling and its big. the ak would be the f-150 and as for the ferrari, thats a benchrest gun.

as for the original poster. i think theyl target the fal before the m1a, just because of the pistol grip. but that is not to say you should change your mind. the m1a is a fine rifle indeed, and the one my entire family has picked as our battle rifles.

Wes Janson
January 23, 2008, 08:53 PM
What scope is that?

Same as yours, IIRC. 2-7x32 Burris Handgun with BDC reticle and Posi-Lock. I almost went with the 3-12, but couldn't find one locally to look at, whereas the 2-7 was on-hand, so I wound up buying that instead.

Wes I notice that the top of your op rod is awfully close to your Ultimak. I ended up filing down my Ultimak in that area and then painting it black.

Yeah, it is awfully close. I've only pulled out the bolt once before, a few months back, and that was before adding the rail. After adding it, I noticed that I couldn't seem to get the op rod to pop out of the rail because it appeared to be hitting the mount. How much did you file yours down by?
Wow 200 for that scout mount.....is it a solid mount?

I got it for a bit less than MSRP, but I'd say it's worth it. Last week I picked up some Winchester 168gr Supreme, and only had time for one group of five shots. Center to center, .8 inches at 100 yards. Hell, with that scope I have trouble even holding it 1-MOA-steady on a inch dot target. I tried using smaller dots, but they disappeared into the crosshairs and groups opened up. I'd like to figure out some sort of high-contrast target that would allow me to distinguish my point of aim a bit better.

Ignition Override
January 24, 2008, 12:01 AM
A popular gun store here has about six of them, both barrel lengths.
I saw them today.

no_problem
January 24, 2008, 12:34 AM
The M1A is also the Honda Accord :D of military rifles. Reliable, functions well, good ergonomics, proven design, good looking. Possessing both form and function, but not gaudy or flashy, or excessively showy.

The FAL is like the Toyota Camry, time tested design, tough, takes punishment in stride, reliable.

Both represent a good value in times past, but in current incarnations, are overpriced.

silverlance
January 24, 2008, 12:55 AM
did someone say FAL? :D

Here you go. This is sort of a prototype, I just pushed it together out of testing videos. Nothing like Oleg's work but gives you an idea. Pricing is outdated; contact for current prices and options. Let them know Kevin recommended you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiTJYnJFwO0http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiTJYnJFwO0

kimberfan
January 24, 2008, 02:15 AM
will the scout mount fit a full length m1a?.

H2O MAN
January 24, 2008, 07:16 AM
will the scout mount fit a full length m1a?.

Yes, as long as it has a standard profile barrel.

madcratebuilder
January 24, 2008, 09:05 AM
The M1A is a great rifle, but you guys must not have spent too many hours around ferraris... lol. Think of a really expensive rifle that needs hugely expensive maintenance and rebuilds every 1000 rounds... THAT's the ferrari of rifles.

I think it's more like a one ton, four door, duallie of rifles. Heavy duty rifle with a heavy duty round. I'm very happy with my SA M1A and back in the day when I qualified with the M14, I don't remember ever having a problem with it.

Dr. Peter Venkman
January 24, 2008, 02:28 PM
If I ever buy a new rifle that is not a C&R, it will be an M1A.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A, yeah or neigh?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!