Negligent discharge, please be kind

PDA

darwin-t
January 21, 2008, 07:49 AM
I messed up big time. Even though I've always considered myself to use safe practices when handling firearms, I failed to do so Saturday. It ended with a 230 grain .45 ACP Hydro Shok bullet putting four - count 'em four holes in my leg.

Warning: the link is pretty graphic. Open at your own risk.

http://dishhead.home.insightbb.com/leg.html

I'm posting this on every forum I participate in so that others can learn from my mistake.

If you enjoyed reading about "Negligent discharge, please be kind" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave P
January 21, 2008, 08:08 AM
Ouch!

Always point it in a safe direction. Esp when pulling the trigger.

libertyguns9
January 21, 2008, 08:30 AM
Wow! Glad you're ok! Good reminder for everyone to never point at anything you don't intend to shoot.

ID_shooting
January 21, 2008, 08:32 AM
Wow, you have officially passed a class in the School of Hard Knocks. Gladd to see that you are OK but I will assume it will be a while before you are kicking again. Thank you for being man enough to share your lesson. We all, need reminding every now and then.

Snarlingiron
January 21, 2008, 08:35 AM
darwin-t, I sympathize with you. My brother did something similar many years ago. He decided it was a good idea to put a cocked 1911 in his pocket along with keys, change, pocket knife, etc. The round entered his upper thigh, and exited just above his knee cap. I know that at times like this it is hard to consider yourself lucky, but you really are, as was he. Lucky to be alive, lucky to have your leg. Thanks for sharing this graphic illustration, if it jogs one of us that handles guns on a more or less daily basis to be a little more safe and mindful about our gun handling, then it will have accomplished a great deal. I wish you well and hope you heal quickly.

davidjblythe
January 21, 2008, 08:42 AM
First off, its a good thing that you are ok and took quick action when you saw blood pumping out of that second exit wound. I fear that many people would not know what to do.

I have to ask, in all seriousness, what did it feel like to get shot? I would assume that your body would go into an almost quazi-shock like state and pain would not be on the forefront of your mind. But did you feel anything? How long did it take for your ears to stop ringing?

Good luck on the road to recovery. How long did the doc say it would take before you would be back to 'normal'?

darwin-t
January 21, 2008, 09:36 AM
I'll tell you as well as I can remember it. When the gun went bang, it surprised the heck out of me, of course. It took about a half a second to realize what happened. The sound didn't seem as loud as I remember when I shot without hearing protection at the range. I chalk that up to the fact that the gun was down away from my face.

Then I realized that I was bleeding. I honestly don't remember if it was pain or the wetness of the blood. This all took maybe two seconds. I stood up and saw the blood all over my jeans and hollered upstairs for my wife to call an ambulance. I pulled my jeans off to see what was going on - I had a pair of longjohns on under them.There was a bag of rags and old towels laying there and I grabbed a handtowel which barely reached around my leg, so I grabbed the ends and twisted them. Then I walked/crawled up the stairs and laid down up there on my back and propped my leg up on a bucket. I noticed the pain by then and was afraid I was going to pass out - I had a cold sweat on my forehead and felt kinda woozy.By the time the medics got there, the bleeding had pretty much stopped. My leg hurt SOOOOOOO bad. They wouldn't give me any pain meds - I had to wait on the ER doc. 4 doses of morphine before it calmed down. I'm going to my family doc today and plan on getting my hands on my XRays.

All the ER did was wash the blood off of my leg, took an X Ray, listened to the pulse and checked what was still numb. Gave me a tetanus shot, a sript for antibiotics and Lortabs. Wrapped it up with pressure bandages and sent me home.

Don't try this at home, kids.

pbearperry
January 21, 2008, 09:46 AM
Wow,sorry to hear of your misfortune.I had a brain fart AD when I was 10 yrs old carrying a pellet gun in the woods.Although the pellet missed my right foot,my Dad never let me forget that incident.
That is one tough way to test ammo.Hope you heal up fast.Good Luck !

Shadow500
January 21, 2008, 10:13 AM
Darwin,

Thanks for the safety reminder. We all can learn from this lesson.

I am glad that you didn't hit anything bad, and wish you a speedy and full recovery.

It took allot of guts to fess up to something like this.

Now it is time to reax and heal.

If there is anything I can do let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Wedge
January 21, 2008, 10:26 AM
Hope you have a speedy recovery and glad that it wasn't any worse.

plexreticle
January 21, 2008, 10:43 AM
You're lucky to be alive.

I hope for you speedy recovery.

esheato
January 21, 2008, 10:54 AM
Wow...best of luck in your recovery.

Ed

1911NM
January 21, 2008, 10:55 AM
I know it had to be hard to fess up, not as hard as dealing with the trauma and healing, but hard. I do so appreciate your doing so, as it is a reminder to all of us this could happen anytime anywhere. Good luck, and fast healing.

GBExpat
January 21, 2008, 11:07 AM
I am glad to hear that no bones were hit. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Thanks for this post and the webpage. All of us reading this and seeing that will surely slow down and rethink our actions when dealing with our firearms.

XDKingslayer
January 21, 2008, 12:17 PM
That's probably one of the best documented NDs I've seen in a while. Keep us posted on the xrays though, I'm curious to see how much was left in your leg.

Suprised nobody has commented on the irony of your username though...

SASS#23149
January 21, 2008, 12:21 PM
I'm very glad you did no more damage than you did.That round and caliber can do some SERIOUS stuff in the wrong places.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

h0ss
January 21, 2008, 12:22 PM
Yes, much respect for admitting to this and even posting pictures. Im glad you were not hurt more or worse...

"This incident happened because I got so used to handling guns and taking them apart and putting them together that safety measures became automatic. This is a good thing when you're talking about keeping your finger away from the trigger until the gun is sighted on a target. It's bad when it involves checking to see if a gun is unloaded."

That is the thing. This should serve as a reminder to all to not become complacent. I am a little guilty of being complacent in the wrong areas of gun safety myself. You are right though, muscle memory for the finger off the trigger is good, muscle memory for the pysical, and visual inspection for a live round can be bad. Thats one thing i hope i never become that complacent with.

iiibdsiil
January 21, 2008, 12:24 PM
Glad you are okay!

v35
January 21, 2008, 12:25 PM
Darwin, with a name like that you know you need to be extra careful!

One round, four holes. Imagine what the gun grabbers could do with a statistic like that. Single shot weapons could be considered "high capacity".

How does that Tidy Cat work at soaking up blood from the concrete floor?

Seriously, there but for the grace of God go I. Your web page says "don't be stupid like me". Please consider changing that. Your post demonstrates enlightenment, not stupidity. NO ONE is immune from the occasional cranial flatulence.

Thanks for the great post. Be safe.

romma
January 21, 2008, 12:25 PM
Ouchie! My gun shot wounds in my shoulder and neck were bloodier because of arterial damage, but your wound channel takes the cake!

Well Guess Hydras do expand indeed!

Floppy_D
January 21, 2008, 12:26 PM
Thank you for the reminder. I hope you are back to 100% soon. You sharing your story will ultimately save someone much grief.

21H40
January 21, 2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for sharing. It is important for all of us to remember that these accidents don't just happen to inexperienced or stupid people. These accidents happen to REAL people, often with years of experience.

Last time I went to the range, I had a gentle reminder. I finished firing, and turned towards my friend before doing the standard chamber check. The magazine was empty, and the chamber was supposed to be. At the last second , I stopped and cleared the pistol -- more as a tribute to the drill sergeants from my past than anything. :what: imagine my surprise and chagrin when I found a round in the chamber ready to go!

Thanks again for opening yourself up for criticism from millions of strangers for a split second mistake.

Soybomb
January 21, 2008, 12:46 PM
Ouch, glad to hear you're largely ok. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and hopefully this will remind us all to be extra careful.

Also I hope you don't mind a little dark humor, but I find your username kind of funny given the situation :)

mattmacklind
January 21, 2008, 12:53 PM
I had an accidental discharge once into the ground while I was walking with my Beretta, muzzle to the ground. It was accidental so I wasn't expecting it, and it happenned because I was a little too comfortable with guns at that point , but not very comfortable with this gun in particular. About an inch away from my foot. I always remember that incident as an important lesson. I would have likely lost a toe.

It looks like your lucky-you could have broken your leg on top of the other wounds. Get well soon and I'm sorry for your injuries.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 21, 2008, 12:57 PM
Hey, how about a little warning in the original post saying it's pretty graphic? Not everyone wants to see a picture of that during breakfast.

vis--vis
January 21, 2008, 01:01 PM
Really glad you're ok and I appreciate you sharing this! Praying the Lord heals your wounds.

What did the wife say?

bruss01
January 21, 2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience and the great reminder that ND's happen to anyone.

One part of the experience you have not covered is the reaction of your wife to this event. Would love to hear that part.

Vector
January 21, 2008, 01:26 PM
darwin-t wrote;

I messed up big time. Even though I've always considered myself to use safe practices when handling firearms, I failed to do so Saturday. It ended with a 230 grain .45 ACP Hydro Shok bullet putting four - count 'em four holes in my leg.

http://dishhead.home.insightbb.com/leg.html

I'm posting this on every forum I participate in so that others can learn from my mistake.

:eek:

Yikes, you are very lucky it did not sever an artery, otherwise you might not be online. One thing I don't understand is how you managed to shoot yourself 4 times:confused:

Regardless, I hope you have a speedy recovery, and thanks for posting this at your prides expense.
It should serve as a wake up call to those who think they are beyond the need for total attention and safety when dealing with firearms.

brentn
January 21, 2008, 01:34 PM
wow, that made me slightly sick to see that link. Not because its graphic but because it could happen to me if I'm not carefull.
Thank you for the reminder.

A side note, looks like the HS's penetrate more than I thought as they went right through a leg twice practically!

how long will it take to heal?

Rokyudai
January 21, 2008, 01:36 PM
Great googly moogly man that is really unfortunate! I wish you a quick recovery and thank you for sharing this to reaffirm my need to stay sharp!

Again best wishes on a quick recovery!

-Rokyudai

romma
January 21, 2008, 01:37 PM
Watch out for the Kitty-Kat now that she likely has a taste for your blood!

She may try to chew you in your sleep one of these days! ;)

alsaqr
January 21, 2008, 01:38 PM
You are truly a very lucky man. Hope that it heals up soon with no complications.

Packman
January 21, 2008, 01:39 PM
I've gotta say, it's kinda heartwarming that the overwhelming sentiment in this thread is one of "hope you're ok, get better soon", rather than one of criticism and ridicule that I've found on too many other boards.

Darwin, I'm glad you're ok. Takes a man to fess up to mistakes, especially the big ones. Thanks for the reminder in safe-handling, and I hope it heals up quickly and problem free.

TexasBen317
January 21, 2008, 01:51 PM
Like the others have said,, just glad you are ok. Whew.. that had to hurt like a bitch!!!

I have had accidental discharges back in the distance past,, but the worst I have experienced was my hunting buddy on the deer lease.. We were getting in the back of the Scout to head out to the stands and standing rule was, NO LOADED rifles in the truck.. My buddy was last one in and sat down with his rifle butt on the floor and some how hit his trigger.. The dammed thing went off and of course blew a hole in the roof. Once our hearing came back we chewed his
A** out. .and from then on , he had to sit under the hole he made in the roof.. Bad when it rained on him. oh, his gun was a 30-30 lever action,, cocked of course.. another time he shot through the Plexiglas sliding window in the deer stand.. I replaced it and for Xmas he got a 30-30 cartage glued to that hole to hang on his wall. :evil:

Again, we are all glad you are ok..

Owen Sparks
January 21, 2008, 01:51 PM
Tough break. Hope you are over this hard lesson soon. As to the bullet fragments in the picture. Did it fragment when it hit the concrete floor? My guess is that the bullet exited your leg intact and busted up on the floor. Only x-rays will tell for sure.

OS

41magsnub
January 21, 2008, 01:53 PM
We are all glad you were disqualified for the Darwin award! Hope you heal up soon. Also, thanks for the lesson. Will that site be up permanently? It would be nice to have as a resource for showing folks that do not have the proper respect for guns what can go wrong.

Atticus
January 21, 2008, 01:58 PM
You lived to regret it...and the regret will never end (been there - still there). Everyone needs to be reminded that guns are serious business, and when they go boom, that bullet will never come back. Never be complacent - never let your attention drift - develop constant routines when handling firearms...especially the "empty" ones.

Darwin I wish you a speedy and full recovery! Thanks for the post.

BTW - I can probably answer the wife response question. " Oh my God, Oh my God Oh, oh my God.

buck00
January 21, 2008, 02:07 PM
Darwin T, thank you for sharing that. Many times I've read posts where members claim they "shot themself" (or were shot) then give the punch line that it was really just a BB gun or paintball (as if this were really funny).

This was pretty intense and you've re-emphasized to all of us the importance of firearms safety. Hope you can water ski again by late summer. Thank you.

DerbyDale
January 21, 2008, 02:08 PM
Glad you are still Alive, and wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks for sharing. I like to think I'm always carefully when handling. After seeing this, I know I will be extra extra careful. It's a sobering reminder to us all.

azredhawk44
January 21, 2008, 02:16 PM
Darwin, you're not alone. I hope and pray you heal up to 100%.

I had a Negligent Discharge about five years ago, 45acp 230gr ball into the floor of my home while cleaning. Fortunately I was at least following one of the four rules: never point the gun at anything you don't want to destroy. Not that I wanted to destroy the floor, but at least I didn't hit myself or someone else.

I think there are two types of gun owners: Those that have had an ND, and those that will in the future. Kinda like motorcycle riders and falls. I'm sure this will keep you very attentive in the future. Thanks for your candor on this issue.

Heal up and be safe!

Fozzy_Bear
January 21, 2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks for sharing that.

One question though... I ask because I used to work in a hospital and I still know quite a bit of the people who work at the one nearby...

You said, "ALL the ER did..."

What did you expect them to do that they did not do? Was it the lack of pain meds? If so, that's a common mistake. - Most people think that the ER staff are there to help you feel comfortable, when in fact their priority is (and aught to be, IMHO) to keep you alive.

Think of it this way; your family doctor has the time and luxury to care if you are comfortable. And has the motivation since you can shop for and get a new family doctor at any time you want. So if you can breathe, and are not bleeding, but sit in a corner all night in pain waiting for your doctor to arrive at the office, the ER staff have technically done their job. Human compassion will also play a role and they will not, for the most part, let somebody wallow in missery... But making you unable to feel the pain from a recent gunshot wound (or 4) is not in the playbooks of any emergency medical facilities I have ever heard of.

That little rant aside, the question is, "Did you feel in danger of loosing your life or of further injury when you were discharged from the hospital?" - In which case, there is a serious situation that should be reported to the local authorities and the national hospital accredidation boards... Or were you just expecting more "customer service"?

[[Edit: Sorry if this comes off as some sort of aggressive message aimed at you personally. I'm glad your OK, of course. I just got a bit defensive of the hard-working professionals I know when you implied that you were somehow dissappointed with the performance of the people in your local ER]]

Dirtypacman
January 21, 2008, 02:41 PM
Scary set of photo's you got going there... the trails of blood are pretty crazy looking.

Glad to hear your ok at this time and thank you for the post - It was an eye opener and perfect reminder of what can happen.

PoconoEagle
January 21, 2008, 02:49 PM
Get Well soon. Thanks for sharing . Many similar mistakes were avoided by you being man enough to explain. Very high road of ya. now wheres that bear spray for the low road folks???:rolleyes:

Stevie-Ray
January 21, 2008, 03:21 PM
Darwin, thanks for the courage you've shown to share this. I suppose I would have had to also, and hope to God I never have to. I think it would be poor form for anybody to preach to you, as you've done a pretty good job of beating yourself up over it. Time to heal, and I pray that you'll heal well and in double-quick time. Best of luck to you.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you changed your mind about your defensive load? It is mine as well, and it appears to work rather well. I'm sorry you had to find out that way, though.

Maybe this should be a sticky?

eric.cartman
January 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
darwin-t,
i wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
thanks for sharing. the pics send chills down my spine.

everyone else,
can we PLEASE, once and for all, agree that .45ACP is better than 9mm :evil:

FuzzyBunny
January 21, 2008, 03:25 PM
Thank you for posting the story and the pics!

I will add them to my collection of printouts of pics and stories to show the youngsters and new adult shooters I have a chance to teach. I find stories like this along with pictures really hit home during the safety part of the learning process.

Of course if you have a problem with me sharing the pics and story I won't.

I have had a ND myself and it is a very sobering event! In my case it was a very old used and cheap .25 cal that had a part fail. Still I am very glad it just hit the floor and not me.

Thanks for sharing your story and heal rapidly.

FuzzyBunny

ps. Did the ER call the police and report a GS wound?

KABA
January 21, 2008, 03:27 PM
Darwin, Thanks for having the courage to post this. There is some truth to the idea that a picture is worth a thousand words. And the pictures you posted were about as graphic a reminder as possible that there is no such thing as an unloaded gun.

Take care of yourself and get well soon.

Eric F
January 21, 2008, 03:32 PM
And the pictures you posted were about as graphic a reminder as possible that there is no such thing as an unloaded gun.

Yeah and I have faced some harsh ridcule on THR for storing my gun unloaded

You sir are the lucky, not so lucky. I am suprised the ER did not go ahead and send you to surgery to remove the rest of the bullet.

Soybomb
January 21, 2008, 03:42 PM
can we PLEASE, once and for all, agree that .45ACP is better than 9mm
Pft his leg doesn't even look ripped off ;)

Kpdpipes
January 21, 2008, 03:55 PM
#1.. Glad you're ok, while bad it could have been a HELL of a lot worse. I wont go so far as to say that the only people who havent had an ND are the ones who are going to..But like with any semi-hazardous pastime, even the most CAREFUL person let's their attention wander occasionally, and, occasionally they get bitten for it. Mine was out of a mix of being distracted, and semi-laziness. Went to work after having to go to my GF's at the run after she had a really nasty dispute with her Ex. My head wasnt where it should have ben and instead of clearing my Off-duty (1911 defender) I just decided to let the hammer down before putting it in my locker. My thumb slipped off of the hammer spur and the round in the chamber went off. Scared the hell out of me (Not to mention everyone else in the building).

cobrian45
January 21, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'm so glad to see you're healing instead of anything worse. A lot of people have had AD's at some time or another or been around when they happen. There is definitely that shocked pause, then Oh Sh!+ moment. I've only had one (long ago) when my thumb slipped on a recently cleaned and oiled 1911 hammer as I was lowering it. I knew it was loaded, but it still is quite the shock. Luckily, pointed in safe direction. I've been around more than my share on the range and in the field while guiding and they are always scary. Everyone should remember that, while all the rules are to be followed, some are to help in case one of the others isn't being followed. When you violate two or more, you can be in some serious trouble.

cmidkiff
January 21, 2008, 04:07 PM
Darwin (was that your name _before_ you shot yourself?),

Thanks for posting this. You might just save a life by doing so. Thanks for having the cahones to document your mistake for the rest of us to learn from.

Man... 2 entries and 2 exits, and _still_ managed to keep from hitting bone or major artery. I guess if you gotta get shot... there'd be worse places to hit!

The other story I go to for a personal account of a ND was a guy that put a .40 hp through the palm of his left hand while disassembling a Glock (remember that 'check to see if it's unloaded' step? He didn't). I think I'd rather have your injury, if I had to choose!

Here's hoping for a quick and complete recovery from your injury!

Schleprok62
January 21, 2008, 04:39 PM
Darwin-t: Thank you for having the courage to show how these things can happen to even the best of us. We can all learn from this experience as we can all probably say we've had something similar happen to us at sometime in our lives. Maybe not with a firearm, but somethiing we took for granted. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope there's no permanent damage done.

I think this should be a "sticky" - it's definitely great for educating new shooters.

doc540
January 21, 2008, 04:40 PM
duuuuuuuude!!!!

I'm glad you're gonna recover from this.:eek:

Atticus
January 21, 2008, 04:54 PM
he other story I go to for a personal account of a ND was a guy that put a .40 hp through the palm of his left hand while disassembling a Glock (remember that 'check to see if it's unloaded' step? He didn't). I think I'd rather have your injury, if I had to choose!

That's probably me. That's why I posted my guess at his wife's reaction.
It was a .45 Glock though (230gn Gold Dots). I don't know if my injury is any worse than Darwin's, but probably (and hopefully) more permanent than his. Bones and tendons react a little worse to bullet impacts than flesh...not as bloody though. I still have my bullet -it is in one (very mushroomed) piece.

Godspeed Darwin - Don't be afraid to enjoy the meds for a few days...that's what they are for. Sleep is your friend.

The Weasel Squeezer
January 21, 2008, 04:58 PM
Chicks Dig Scars.

DogRanger
January 21, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hope you have a good recovery,and thank the good Lord above,HE's got a plan for you.

U.S.SFC_RET
January 21, 2008, 05:01 PM
You are one lucky fellow. Forums are good tools. Good to let others know. let them hear and listen to what they want to listen to.

CountGlockula
January 21, 2008, 05:01 PM
Another story for the kids:

KIDS, Don't do what I did! And...remember the gun safety rules.

Markbo
January 21, 2008, 05:04 PM
Thank you for being a stand up guy. :p ... and posting this. I said the HOLY S... phrase several times. It can happen THAT fast and this little reminder will be with me for while.

Godspeed in your full and complete recovery!
Mark

birdbustr
January 21, 2008, 05:11 PM
I thing you got people to slow down and remember that being overly-comfortable handling firearms can be just as dangerous as a newbie not knowing the first thing about a firearm.
I'm going to make it a point to slow down myself and get back the basics a little. Thanks for being so humble as to share your mistake as a reminder to us all of just how dangerous deadly weapons can be.

ravencon
January 21, 2008, 05:25 PM
That you are alive and well enough to post this indicates the gun gods have not completely abandoned you. I hope your recovery goes well.

I truly commend you for your courage in posting those sobering photos. I know it made me stop and think. It made me glad that I sold the last of my 1911s recently. :) It made me glad that I'm gravitating more and more to revolvers.

Again, best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery. I hope that if you are married that you have an understanding wife.

Packman
January 21, 2008, 05:27 PM
I second the motion for a sticky, if it's OK with Darwin. Good lesson to be learned, both about practices and consequences.

biscuitninja
January 21, 2008, 05:58 PM
WOW! You are just plain lucky. I learned my lesson when we blew up a custom 105mm Howitzer. It was a 2M dollar mistake as well as we pretty much shut down the entire project for a year... (and pretty much lost our work at that point). Be safe! Stay cool, and hopefully you only got the fleshy parts.

(*Chicks dig scars, but not dead people.... *)
good luck
-bix

Dravur
January 21, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hope you are ok now.

It happens, just be glad it wasn't worse, I guess.

BTW, are you sure it wasn't the evil black cat? It sure seemed interested and ya know, Cats are evil.

Hehe, im glad you weren't killed. hang in there

silverking
January 21, 2008, 06:11 PM
To admit having a ND takes a big man--to make this admission with photographic documentation and the full story takes an even bigger man.
Thank you for helping make the issue of gun safety more at the front of our thoughts. I sincerly hope you are on the road to a full recovery.

Charles S
January 21, 2008, 06:20 PM
i wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
thanks for sharing.

Agreed. Thank you for sharing. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Cosmoline
January 21, 2008, 06:39 PM
Well all I can say is that if your first response after getting four holes blown in you is to GET THE CALIPERS AND DIGITAL CAMERA

... then you may just be a GUN NUT :D

biscuitninja
January 21, 2008, 06:42 PM
Cosmo...
You are an evil, evil, person... ;)
good luck

-bix

Navy joe
January 21, 2008, 06:45 PM
Yeah Cosmo, I was thinking the same thing, that is one hardcore blogger. Shot and still typing.

To be able to do that and miss potentially fatal artery and femur is incredible. I suppose the ER would have looked a little silly if they had discharged you and a nicked or weakened artery let go.

So, how is the wife thinking about your guns now? Please don't sell them.

Cosmoline
January 21, 2008, 06:46 PM
Hey, I gotta admit my first reaction after getting the blood flow stopped would be to see how well it expanded. I'm all warped inside.

Thanks to the OP for the post though it's always good for the safety reminder!

Well-Armed Lamb
January 21, 2008, 06:54 PM
Darwin: glad you're okay. Thanks for coming forward about it, and for making the detailed write-up: it's a fine job of admitting and facing your mistakes, and it's a valuable reminder for everybody. Good way to salvage something from your personal moment of epic fail. :) Rest easy, heal up, and be careful.

doc540
January 21, 2008, 07:02 PM
"Well all I can say is that if your first response after getting four holes blown in you is to GET THE CALIPERS AND DIGITAL CAMERA

... then you may just be a GUN NUT"

I tried to think of a way to put that, but you nailed it.:D

Bruce333
January 21, 2008, 07:22 PM
Thank you for sharing, takes a lot to admit your mistake publicly.

NCHornet
January 21, 2008, 07:49 PM
First let me say I am glad you are alive and aroundto post this.
Second you didn't get shot by a water bullet!!!! They are not "Hyrdo Shoks" they are Federal Hydrashoks, and as you can see they are very effective. Also thank you for calling this what it is , a ND to a AD. Hope you have learned something from this and maybe it will help others. Always follow the rules when it comes to gun saftey or bad things can happen. I wish you a speedy recovery.
NCH

phaed
January 21, 2008, 08:07 PM
can't bash a guy when he's down. it takes balls to post this, and it looks like you've suffered enough as it is anyways. thanks for posting so the rest of us can keep informed.

Uglyoldpoorman
January 21, 2008, 08:12 PM
Besides me, has anyone noticed that your name is Darwin??

Bazooka Joe71
January 21, 2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I can imagine I wouldn't want to see those pictures during breakfast.:barf:

Thanks for sharing that story...When you get a chance, please tell us how you have 4 holes.

Besides me, has anyone noticed that your name is Darwin??

Only about 20 previous posters.:)

Zedicus
January 21, 2008, 08:48 PM
First: Glad you are ok.
Second: Heal up soon.
Third: This shouldn't happen but on the up side, it will provide a "Wake Up!" Call to anyone who doesn't check for a cambered round (then double & triple Check) before pulling the trigger in a similar situation.

Get Well Soon dude!

Caipirinha
January 21, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks for sharing. The photos really drive home the point.:what: It doesn't matter how safe you've been all your life, it only takes a moment of carelessness for something bad to happen. I hope your recovery goes well.

Bob R
January 21, 2008, 09:35 PM
First of all, I wish you a full recovery.

I didn't see the comment about "all they did at the ER", so I can't comment on that.

But, I did see this one, but the idiots at the E.R. , so just to appease me, can you expand on that. Is everyone at the ER an idiot, or just the ones you were treated by? Or perhaps just the one doing the bandages? But, if it was just one, then it would just be "idiot".

Sounds like they did what they needed to. You are still alive, still have a leg (well, actually two legs), and set you up for follow up.

It sucks to be a patient in any ER, they are busy and you may not get your one on one care once they decide you are going to live. But that is the price we all pay for having an overcrowded ER sysytem in the US.

I still wish you a full recovery, and you can even call me an idiot when you come to my ER, because I will shake my head knowingly, and still give you the best care I can, , whether you know it or not.

bob

silverlance
January 21, 2008, 09:41 PM
Darwin,

Your solid, calm thinking after the fact does our community proud. Many people would have screamed, passed out, or even died from shock. Every medic I know (and I know a few) has stories of soldiers who died from insignificant wounds much more minor than yours.

May I have your permission to use your post? Not for making money of course, but for education shooters on the importance of always keep the muzzle in a safe direction - and what really can and does happen when one is not careful.

As I am writing this I have a SIG p228 at my hip. I am keenly aware of what damage it could do to me.. and having had a multitude of injuries over the years, am not eager to receive any more.

Kev

chonny
January 21, 2008, 09:44 PM
Kee-ripes and OW! Glad you're okay... I think you realize how lucky you are. There are some major blood vessels in the leg and had you hit one, you would have gone into shock right quick and then lost consciousness. I don't know how clear my head would have remained.

I'm a couple years new to having guns around and remember to check, check and recheck, and check again, but jeez this is sobering still.

I admire your coming forward when most others would never mention it. Thanks for the warning.

351 WINCHESTER
January 21, 2008, 10:24 PM
I guess we can all learn a lesson about your accident. I've had some accidental discharges, but my muzzle was not pointed at anything I didn't want to shoot. With the exception of 1 a/d all were from a faulty 1911 which I got fixed. Someone had worked on the hammer and sear and the hammer developed a habit of following the slide. For reasons unbeknown to me I can't understand why the half cock didn't catch the hammer. Anyway I got it fixed and sold it.

I willl put you on our prayer list at our church for a full and speedy recovery.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

GrumpyUnk
January 21, 2008, 11:32 PM
Wow! Amazing that you had a double in and outer w/o hitting any bone or major vessels. I've seen more than a few self inflicted wounds to the leg in the ER and at least 1/2 of them hit more than you did. (Quick draws #1)

I'm glad that you got lucky after the bullet came out of the pistol anyway. That could have been a whole lot worse. Take your meds and keep a close eye on things.

And the "Tactical Calipers?" Awesome! Anyone who measures his own exit wound is way to cool for me. Say a prayer of thanks tonight and PM me if I can be of any assistance.

XD Fan
January 21, 2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks for honestly sharing. Hope your recovery is quick.

B yond
January 22, 2008, 12:10 AM
Seriously, thanks you for sharing that. You're doing a service to the commnunity by posting that on various message boards. It reminds us that even us 'gun nuts' can make mistakes. I'm also glad you called it a ND instead of AD; that shows a lot of character on your part for taking responsibility for making a mistake.

You seem like a good guy, I'm glad you're still (hobbling) around.

annielulu
January 22, 2008, 01:15 AM
Prayers for a speedy recovery. It takes guts to share your story and you will help others to maybe not have a similar incident.

I had 3 ND's when I first started shooting. Thankfully they all went in a safe direction (2 indoor range-1 outdoor range).

New, yes. Stupid, yes. But I learned much from my negligence. But for the Grace of God I could have been injured, or worse, hurt someone else.

Guns are serious business. A momentary lapse in judgement can result in serious consequences.

You can never be too safe. Thanks for reminding me again.

Big Boomer
January 22, 2008, 01:47 AM
didn't read all the posts, glad you are alive and recovering.

Am I the only one that is concerned that the 45 JHP fragmented so badly???

I have heard of them having issues of plugging up or not expanding but not fragmenting so badly. And all this after only going through some soft tissue!

gunsmith
complacency is deadly, thanks for the reminder

Zoogster
You are reloading those too hot if you are getting seperation between leaving the gun barrel and entering your leg. That is hardly any distance at all and the bullet couldn't even hold together.
You need either different bullets or reduced velocity.

You can also see it caused it to fragment reducing the total wounding potential, and reducing total overall penetration of most of the round. Had it been a torso or something with ribs in the way penetration would have been even lower. More power isn't necessarily better if the bullet is not designed for it.

Hope everything heals up okay.

ASM826
January 22, 2008, 12:53 PM
You are reloading those too hot if you are getting separation

Zoogster,

He mentioned that the round was a Federal Hydro Shok. Factory ammo. It is interesting that the round came so completely apart, but that is not a result of his reloading recipe.

Pushrod
January 22, 2008, 01:17 PM
Thank goodness you are okay. Damn lucky too.
Did you have to give a statement to the police? I know all hospitals are required to notify the police when a gunshot wound arrives.
I think the bullet fragmentation the last few posters are concerned with came about when the round hit the floor after going through his flesh, if I read his strory correctly (he picked up the fragments from around his basement), so I don't think they came apart before hitting him.

Anyway Darwin, Thanks for posting this, we all need this reminder every once in a while, sorry it had to be you who gave it to us.

Scorpiusdeus
January 22, 2008, 01:19 PM
I think there are two types of shooters, ones an "unexpected" discharge has happened to and ones that it hasn't happened to.... YET.

Thank you for putting your ego aside to share this with us. It always serves as a reminder to the rest of us that even those with years of experience are human and make errors.

The only real question here is do we consider this a one shot stop with the all perfect .45 ? ;)

I'll keep a good thought for your speedy complication free recovery.

A man with a gun!
January 22, 2008, 01:36 PM
"By the time the medics got there, the bleeding had pretty much stopped. My leg hurt SOOOOOOO bad. They wouldn't give me any pain meds."

As long as you had a decent blood pressure there wouldn't have been any shortage of Morphine in the back of my ambulance!

.cheese.
January 22, 2008, 02:13 PM
so...... yeah....... I'm going to definitely try to NOT do that.

Thanks for sharing though. I definitely learned stuff, like.... for example, if there ever comes a time that I need to know what it would look like if somebody shot themself in the leg.... well.... now I know.

Hope you heal quickly and that the pain isn't too bad.

darwin-t
January 22, 2008, 02:32 PM
I can't figure out howto include quotes, so here goes
Q.What was wife's reaction?
A.My wife didn't take it so well, I'll probably recover from it before she will.

Q. Irony of user name
A. Well, that's my name. It was tough growing up Catholic.I'm sure the Church wasn't a big fan of the name.

Q. Great googly moogly man
A. You must be another Frank Zappa fan

Q. Will that site be up permanently?
A. Yes, but insight is being taken over by comcast here, so the address will probably change. I'll post the change if and when it happens.

Q.You said, "ALL the ER did..."
A. Yeah, you're probably right. They DIDN'T tell me there were two big pieces left in there. They did XRays and found out there was no bone damage, but one would think that since all of the damage was to soft tissue then then do a cat scan or something to see exactly what was damaged. The way I understand it, if there is artery damage it could blow at any time and the test for that will be tomorrow - 4 days after the injury. I thought it was odd that they didn't try to clean the wounds themselves, but from what I've learned since then they wouldn't clean that type of wound. 40 pain pills didn't sound like enough at the time, but the pain has reduced a lot more and a lot sooner than I expected. Looking back I think they did a fairly good job.

Q.Of course if you have a problem with me sharing the pics and story I won't.
A. Share away. That's why I posted this stuff, so others would learn from it.

Q.Man... 2 entries and 2 exits, and _still_ managed to keep from hitting bone or major artery. I guess if you gotta get shot... there'd be worse places to hit!
A.Yeah, I say I missed everything important except my leg.

Q.KIDS, Don't do what I did! And...remember the gun safety rules.
A. My 6 year old grandson learned the lesson well.Unfortunate way to do it.That's who I was worried about at the hospital. He was home with a family friend and only knew that his peepaw got shot.

Q.I second the motion for a sticky, if it's OK with Darwin.
A. Fine by me

Q.Well all I can say is that if your first response after getting four holes blown in you is to GET THE CALIPERS AND DIGITAL CAMERA
A. That came the next day when I got a good look at them. A friend said that if I'd gotten shot more than once we'd probably be talking about group size.

Q.Thanks for sharing that story...When you get a chance, please tell us how you have 4 holes.
A. I was sitting in a chair. The bullet almost grazed my inner thigh - in that if it was to the left a little more, it would have been a graze. It just went in and right back out. Then it entered my calf. It looks like it went between those two bones. Man, I just thought what would have happened if it had taken out a bone, I may not have been able to get to something to use as a tourniquet. thanks for that image! I hadn't thought of that before.

Q.Is everyone at the ER an idiot
A. I had to look that one up to see what I said. They bandaged it with regular gauze. My doctor asked rhetorically why they didn't use non-adherent bandages as he was pulling them off along with part of me. I guess it stuck in my mind because of all of the pain I was feeling at the time. Sorry.

Q.May I have your permission to use your post?
A. Use away, fine with me.

Q.I'm also glad you called it a ND instead of AD
A. I learned the difference from Tom Gresham's Gun Talk.

Q.Am I the only one that is concerned that the 45 JHP fragmented so badly???
A. No, it bothers me,too. It did hit the concrete floor though. The pieces of lead I found were TINY. I don't know what's still in my leg - lead or copper.

Q.Did you have to give a statement to the police?
A. I think the entire shift of officers were here. They didn't ask me much, I was cursing and pretty much saying what happened. One took pictures of my leg before they carted me off. One went downstairs and unloaded the gun, asked my wife what she thought happened.Thankfully they didn't take the pistol. I guess a cop showed up at the E.R. and asked me biefly what happened and asked if I was suicidal. Here at the house they decided it was an accident, not a big deal for them investigation wise.

Q.As long as you had a decent blood pressure there wouldn't have been any shortage of Morphine in the back of my ambulance!
A. they were busy hooking up an I.V. and a heart monitor, it only took a couple of minutes to get me there. He said he couldn't give me anything for pain - the doctor would have to do that. The nurses in the E.R. said the same thing.

Q. I saw this,don't remember where - about the comments being supportive
A. I was afraid of the reaction - that's why I asked people to be kind. In retrospect I shouldn't have worried so much - these forums are just full of good people. At Glocktalk they even started a "Darwin's so tough" thread that had me laughing pretty hard. I even added a couple of my own.

I hope I didn't miss any questions that needed an answer. If I did, ask again and I'll answer it.

Thanks for all of the support and kind thoughts. They really do help.

Fozzy_Bear
January 22, 2008, 03:08 PM
Q.You said, "ALL the ER did..."
A. Yeah, you're probably right.
Looking back I think they did a fairly good job.

Cool.

Let us know how the cat scan goes.

romma
January 22, 2008, 03:09 PM
As long as you had a decent blood pressure there wouldn't have been any shortage of Morphine in the back of my ambulance!

Ah,, some people might shoot themselves, just for the narcotics.

I know addicts that have done similar stuff..

That, or maybe they thought you didn't deserve pain meds since you did it to yourself.

darwin-t
January 22, 2008, 03:20 PM
I don't think they didn't think I deserved them. Like I said, one was hooking up an I.V., the other a heart monitor. By the time they got that done we were at the hospital.

The nurses in the E.R. can't give any meds on their own. They all (The EMTs and the nurses) kept saying "Now this or that is going to hurt, sorry" and I'd say "Hey, it ain't your fault, YOU didn't shoot me!"The worst by far was when they had to pick me up in the den and carry me into the kitchen. One put his arms under mine and grabbed my wrists. The other picked me up and carried me by both of my legs. THAT'S when it REALLY started hurting bad.

This is going to throw off my whole pain scale. What used to be a 10 ( the worst pain you've ever felt) is like a 3 or 4 now.:)

darwin-t
January 22, 2008, 03:24 PM
>Let us know how the cat scan goes.

It's a CT Arteriogram. They inject dye in your bloodstream and check for weak spots, I guess. If that comes out okay, I'm pretty much home free. I get it in the morning. I'll post here and on the web page how it comes out.

A cat scan would be nice, then I could see the shape of the shrapnel

romma
January 22, 2008, 03:39 PM
"Hey, it ain't your fault, YOU didn't shoot me!"

Bravo darwin! A gutsy statement...

As far as my comment earlier about them thinking you didn't deserve them, I am sure all EMT persons don't feel that way, but like every walk of life in any profession, I am sure they have their cynics too.

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
January 22, 2008, 03:52 PM
stuff happends, glad your gonna be ok and you didn't hit a artery or anything like that.

but im sure you learned from your mistake. they how we learn, some people just learn from others mistakes while some make them themselves.

dasmi
January 22, 2008, 04:01 PM
Wow, glad you're OK. Thanks for the safety reminder.

Larryect
January 22, 2008, 04:05 PM
Glad your okay. Have they given you anything for infection? I would think that would be a big concern now...

Rshooter
January 22, 2008, 04:13 PM
There but the grace of God.:what:

mekender
January 22, 2008, 05:45 PM
im readin the darwin so tough thread right now... thats some funny stuff

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813969

Darwin is so tough he proved the other Darwin wrong.

pbearperry
January 22, 2008, 06:29 PM
That stuff on Darwin is pretty funny stuff.Even Darwin would probably laugh?
I heard through the grapevine that Darwin was going to sue the ammo company but his lawyer told him he didn't have a leg to stand on.Only kidding Dawnin,it takes a real man to post something like this just to make the rest of us more careful.

Scanr
January 22, 2008, 06:50 PM
I was wondering if the police had to come and check everything out?

10 Ring Tao
January 22, 2008, 07:45 PM
Kind like getting shot through both butt cheeks- 4 holes!

Great writeup, there simply can't be enough information out there telling people to not allow themselves to get complacent with the basic safety procedures.

Travis McGee
January 22, 2008, 07:52 PM
Wow....very sobering. Thanks for sharing this painful experience. Many, many thanks.

cpttango30
January 22, 2008, 08:02 PM
WOW That had to hurt like a someb itch. This is gettin book marked for me. EI will pass it around and show other friends of mine.

ClickClickD'oh
January 22, 2008, 08:10 PM
Well, that'll wake you up in the morning for sure.

I just replaced a palm safety on one of my 1911s not long ago. Probably did the exact same function check you did.. Only, minus the bullet.

I tell my friends who want to work on their own guns or ammunition that one mistake is all it takes to kill them. I guess you get a second mistake. Lucky. ;) Don't go using it to fast now, ya hear.

fred in nc
January 22, 2008, 09:42 PM
Sorry about your leg and I do hope it heals fast and completely. Thanks for sharing - I think in some way we all needed a reminder. I never managed to shoot myself but I did once come close and it was a case of pure gross public dumb.

deadhawg
January 22, 2008, 11:48 PM
Ouch! Thanks for posting this, it's a graphic reminder that even an experianced gun person can make a mistake. I applaud your honesty, lots of people might be too embarrassed admit they had an ND. I hope this will be a great reminder to all to avoid becoming complacent, and just might keep someone from having a similar accident.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Ron

qbpc
January 23, 2008, 01:07 AM
I am glad you can tell us about it and hope you have a speedy recovery.

.cheese.
January 23, 2008, 03:48 AM
the "darwin so tough" thread at GT is pretty funny. :)

Scorpiusdeus
January 23, 2008, 01:46 PM
I read that Darwin is so tough thread on Glock Talk as well.

It's funny, but every time I think of a Glock I think Ghetto gun... and then I read Glock Talk. I'd never been to Glock Talk before. Is it tradition to speak like you're from the "hood" over there?

I did want to contribute my own 'Darwin's so tough" post

Darwin is so tough HE'S the only person in this room qualified to teach the DEA how handle the Glock Forty.

Grizzly Adams
January 23, 2008, 03:17 PM
OUCH! Man I can feel that from here! Hope there's no complications. How's the wife taking it?

darwin-t
January 23, 2008, 06:30 PM
Q.I just replaced a palm safety on one of my 1911s not long ago. Probably did the exact same function check you did.. Only, minus the bullet.

A. I was too smart by half. It's so easy to remove the grip safety - just remove the thumb safety and pull it off. One of the pistols required some wiggling to get it off. If I had thought about fitting it, I would have field stripped it, stripped out the sear and disconnect and hammer, inserted only the grip safety,leaf spring and thumb safety (inserting the thumb safety from the other side to hold the grip safety in but not block the thumb safety hole). If you do it this way you can look down fromthe top and through the thumb safety hole and SEE the interaction of the grip safety tang and thriiger bar). The problem is, I thought it would "drop in" and didn't do that stuff. I guess I didn't think I'd test fire it when I started. When I got it installed, I forgot that I hadn't unloaded it. I know, I know what you're all going to say. I'm simply telling what happened and not what I knew should have happened.

Q.I was wondering if the police had to come and check everything out?
A. Yes, they heard "gunshot" and I think every cop in town showed up. One took pictures of my leg, they talked to my wife, daughter and son-in-law. It was pretty evident what happened because I kept repeating how stupid I was, how I knew better, etc. I was scared they would take the gun amd/or my carry permit. They didn't. One officer went down and cleared the weapon and left it on my reloading bench. My wife heard one of them say "He's a reloader".;)

Q.It's funny, but every time I think of a Glock I think Ghetto gun.
A. Up until Saturday, every time I thought of a Glock I thought accidental discharge.:evil:

Q.How's the wife taking it?
A. Not so well. At the hospital she was worried and MAD. It'll take a while, but she'll be okay. I guess she looked downstairs when the blood was still squirting. Not something you want to put your family through.

IrvJr
January 23, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hey Darwin-T,

I'm sorry to hear about your injuries. I hope you will recover quickly. I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt.

Also, thanks for sharing your experience with the board. It takes a lot of guts to share something like that. Get well soon!

bruss01
January 24, 2008, 06:13 PM
Q.What was wife's reaction?
A.My wife didn't take it so well, I'll probably recover from it before she will.

Darwin -

Hi, I don't mean to be overly nosy BUT - I'm unsure whether you think you answered this or if you prefer not to answer... if the latter, just say so and it will be dropped.

We were wondering if she was angry, distrustful of guns now, distrustful of YOU now, sobbing uncontrollably, still wakes up in the night having dreams you killed yourself, etc...

The way you put it sounded like after the brief adrenaline rush, she said "boy I hope that never happens again" and life pretty much went on, with her giving you occasional ribbing about it. It'd be nice to hear how a real live person has reacted to their spouse suffering a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

As I mentioned, if that is too personal, say so. But the way it was left hanging, that could be taken any of 1000 different ways, and I wasn't sure that was intentional.

Edited to add: D'oh! just read your last post:
Q.How's the wife taking it?
A. Not so well. At the hospital she was worried and MAD. It'll take a while, but she'll be okay. I guess she looked downstairs when the blood was still squirting. Not something you want to put your family through.

Yeah, I can imagine. I'd hear about it too.

tnieto2004
January 24, 2008, 07:14 PM
Thank you for the post .. Each time I read something like this I take note and learn from it ..

darwin-t
January 25, 2008, 10:31 PM
Q.We were wondering if she was angry, distrustful of guns now, distrustful of YOU now, sobbing uncontrollably, still wakes up in the night having dreams you killed yourself, etc...

A. This has been devastating to her. I'll recover long before she will. Now she's blaming the herself, since she bought the pistol for me as a surprise Christmas gift. I told her it is my favorite gun and always will be because she bought it for me.

She's a worrier. She worries about stuff you or I would never think of.

If I could undo my mistake it would to relieve her of all of this, not to avoid the damage to my leg.

Things aren't quite as good as I had thought. There are 3 arteries going down your leg. One on the inner leg and two on the outer leg, if I understand it right. The bullet went in and out above my knee before going back inmy calf. The femural artery is deep, pretty close to the bone. Another is closer to the skin.I think the bullet went between them. In any case, this artery didn't show up well with the dye - CT scan. Tuesday they are going to run a camera or wire or something down it to check it out.

On the other side of my leg the bullet cut through an artery and a vein and somehow joined them together. Blood is spilling from the artery into the vein which keeps the swelling from going down. If the first artery is okay, they will run a catheter down this damaged artery and block it off. If not, they will cut me open and repair this artery.

They aren't worried about infection from the bullet, it was pretty sterile when it went in - heated from the friction. Dead tissue may cause infection, though. They gave me Keflex, I'll run out of them tomorrow.

Once this is fixed, my biggest cncern will be my foot. I hit a nerve which covers the bottom of my foot. The sole is completely numb. Nobody seems worried about it at all at this point, so neither am I.

Thanks for all of the kind thoughts, encouragement and prayers. They help.

Archie
January 25, 2008, 11:07 PM
Darwin, sometimes life just isn't convenient.

I'll be praying for you all.

Stevie-Ray
January 26, 2008, 12:05 AM
This has been devastating to her. I'll recover long before she will. Now she's blaming the herself, since she bought the pistol for me as a surprise Christmas gift. I told her it is my favorite gun and always will be because she bought it for me.Beautifully put. She reminds me of my own wife, how she would react. As a matter of fact my wife DID buy me a gun this past Christmas.:uhoh: I'll be 'specially careful.

Again, best wishes for a full recovery. But don't forget extra hugs for the wife as you're recuperating. She's a keeper.

middleground
January 26, 2008, 12:59 AM
It's already been said, but thank you for sharing, and great write up and photos.

I hope you have a speedy and full recovery!

darwin-t
January 29, 2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all of the support here. It makes a difference

Hot brass
January 29, 2008, 01:47 PM
I had a ND once, booze and guns don`t mix.

Professor Gun
January 29, 2008, 04:34 PM
Darwin-t,
I sent an e-mail to you from your website. Thank you for putting this up for everyone. I tell all the hunter safety classes that I teach that if you handle guns long enough there is a very good chance that you will experience an accidental/negligent discharge and as long as we keep the muzzle in a safe direction at worst we will be embarassed and/or damage some property. All of us need to be reminded of that as often as possible.

I hope that you have a speedy and uncomplicated recovery from your wounds.

Markbo
February 3, 2008, 04:01 PM
Ooooh! Hot brass just reminded me. I had a guy that worked for me. He showed me a little scar on in his calf one day. "What's that?" Looked like a perfect little circle.

Sitting around drinking and watching football with his buddies when he was in his early 20's and thought it would be 'cool' to show them all his Ruger MK II. Well sure enough he gets to screwin' around and BANG.

Everyone is silent... what the hell just happened. "I don't know man, but I'm puttin' this thing down!" He throws it on the coffee table and everyone starts to laugh - nervously I'm sure. They didn't know where it went so everyone was looking around. David reached down to scratch his leg and when he picked his beer up he saw blood on his fingers.

Looked down and had shot himself clean through the calf muscle. Didn't even know it. Damned lucky nobody got killed that day and David was smart enough to get rid of his guns because he wasn't about to stop drinking!

Guitargod1985
February 24, 2008, 08:02 PM
Bump to top.

For those of us who have not seen this, take a look. Have fun and be safe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Negligent discharge, please be kind" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!