Source of quote? "Not need safety. Is for killing."

PDA

230RN
January 21, 2008, 10:25 AM
I picked this up from one of the gun sites, maybe THR, I don't know.

Supposedly, a Russian General was asked about the rather awkward and almost unusable safety on the Mosin-Nagant, and he replied "Why safety? Is for killing. Not need safety," or something like that.

Is this a real quote, or was this a (rather good) made-up joke about Russian practicality?

Is it actually attributable to a real person, and if so, to whom?

--Terry

If you enjoyed reading about "Source of quote? "Not need safety. Is for killing."" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tim Burke
January 21, 2008, 11:01 AM
Cooper reports a third hand conversation involving a Russian in which the Russian was asked about a particular gun, "Is that safe?" and he replied "Ezz gun, ezz not safe." Might be the source of your story. I believe it is in the Commentaries somewhere.

Vaarok
January 21, 2008, 11:02 AM
"It is a weapon, it is not supposed to be safe" - Fedor Tokarev, on the TT-33 handgun.

strat81
January 21, 2008, 11:07 AM
"In America, you shoot gun. In Soviet Russia, gun shoots you." - Yakov Smirnoff

adobewalls
January 21, 2008, 11:27 AM
Charlie Miller, a Texas Ranger inthe 1950's, carried his 1911, with a leather tie disabling the grip safety. When asked, "Isn't that Dangerous?" He replied, ""I wouldn't carry the son of a bitch if it wasn't dangerous!".

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmoke/miller_0730/

Pigspitter
January 21, 2008, 12:07 PM
I do believe I said that quote on a thread about a french rifle when some people were whining about it not having a safety.

Caipirinha
January 21, 2008, 01:47 PM
I've never seen that as an actual quote. It was featured in this entertaining write-up that's made its rounds through the various gun boards. Look in the section on the M44.

http://www.arthurshall.com/x_2007_manly_firearms.shtml

If you enjoyed reading about "Source of quote? "Not need safety. Is for killing."" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!