I fired a gun inside a bank

PDA

doc540
January 21, 2008, 06:17 PM
Another "don't do this, kids" thread, I guess.

Year's ago my dad was interested in buying one of my AMT .380 Backup's. In his office at the bank, I removed the magazine, checked the pipe and handed it to him to examine.

I explained him it had to be cocked for the safety to operate (or something to that effect).

He examined it a while as we talked, but he was still confused about the safety opertion, so I repeated what I'd told him earlier as he handed it back to me to demonstrate.

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!

I racked it back, peered into the pipe, racked it closed, showed him how the safety operated, then carefully aimed down between my feet to the office carpet and clicked the proverbial "empty gun".

Anyone remember just how loud those little suckers were???:what:

He'd reinserted the magazine, so checking the pipe was doing only half the job. When I let the slide fall I reloaded it.

Everyone in the crowded lobby just froze, all looking toward his office door.

I was embarrassed and mad at myself for the serious mistake I'd just made. I walked to the office door and let everyone know all was ok.:o

Dad wasn't mad and never said a word about it since early in his banking career he'd torched off a 12ga pump inside the bank vault.

(I have no idea were the bullet fragments went. It just made a hole through the carpet and pad down to the slab.)

I was a lucky, lucky dumbazz that day.:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "I fired a gun inside a bank" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kind of Blued
January 21, 2008, 06:19 PM
Wooooow.

Packman
January 21, 2008, 06:21 PM
Yikes. A 12 ga inside a bank vault? Yikes.

HeXeD775
January 21, 2008, 06:22 PM
My wife says it sounds like a family tradition w/ you guys!!!!:D

Try online banking...

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 21, 2008, 06:24 PM
And this is why we don't play around with or show people our carry guns in public.

Dave Dembinski
January 21, 2008, 06:29 PM
Anyone remember just how loud those little suckers were???

Not those in particular, but I know how loud a gun you don't expect to go off is indoors! Actually, I've been impressed lately with a couple "realistic" videogames that simulate the auditory effect with disturbing accuracy. You never hear a bang, just a REALLY creepy silence and a ringing that fades in a couple seconds.

Glad everyone was okay and I can only assume you never did anything like THAT again! ;)

takhtakaal
January 21, 2008, 06:30 PM
Southwest Texas?

Doc?

Shotguns? 12 gauge ones?

Banks?

Steve McQueen, is that you?

jerkface11
January 21, 2008, 06:39 PM
"Dad tell me about the time you shot the shotgun in the vault"
"HUH WHAT?"

geekWithA.45
January 21, 2008, 06:46 PM
Ya know, when you play with your gun in a bank, folks tend to drop whatever they're carrying and reach for the sky.

biscuitninja
January 21, 2008, 06:48 PM
WoooooWWww! Try that today and you'll be in surrounded so fast.... sheesh. Talk about luck. Again, this is why I never like to play with other peoples weapons unless i'm at the range or just taking a look. Oh well, live and learn, well hopfully you guys don't do this out in public.
good luck
-bix

AndyC
January 21, 2008, 07:04 PM
"Dad tell me about the time you shot the shotgun in the vault"
"HUH WHAT?"
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6033/muttleyib9.jpg

jakemccoy
January 21, 2008, 07:46 PM
I walked to the office door and let everyone know all was ok.

Haha, what?! None of this story would go down like that where I live (Northern California).

Southeast, Texas you say? Hmmm, maybe I'll move there.

1911NM
January 21, 2008, 07:46 PM
I do remember, back in the dark ages, a certain bank would give a Weatherby rifle for a new acct. deposit of XXXX number of dollars, but I didn't think they handed 'em out right there? :D

doc540
January 21, 2008, 07:56 PM
It wasn't too long ago (before all the bank megamergers) that nearly all bank officers had handguns in their desk drawers.

I worked in a bank in the '90's who, when the state passed the CHL law, made a special class available to any employee who wanted to get their license.

Only about six of us took advantage of it.

Of course, the employee handbook said all firearms were prohibited on the company premises, but how hard would that have been to enforce if the owners and chairman of the board had made an "abbreviated" license class available at no charge to its employees and the class itself was held on the company premises?;)

And, yes, banks have offered a new Weatherby to customers who opened certain types of accounts. And I know for a fact some of the presentations were made in the lobby during business hours and with photos and fanfare.

Zoogster
January 21, 2008, 07:56 PM
Interesting story. Today they would have probably demanded prosecution.

Best not to play with firearms where you cannot discharge them.
Even the most careful person in the world doing everything right can get a slam fire when you rechamber a round to put it away loaded. I have seen it a couple times. Once the extractor struck the rear of the bullet discharging it as someone racked it and the round deviated from a perfect feed.

Another story someone posted demonstrated an officer who had a defective firearm that broke and would discharge every time the slide was checked and allowed to chamber a new round. The investigators dealing with it believed it was negligence and just had to cycle it themselves, having yet another discharge in thier attempt to prove it was his fault.

Then there is times when the firing pin gets stuck out and discharges the round as soon as it comes into contact with one, like when you let the slide chamber a new round. I have seen a few SKS go full auto emptying thier entire supply of ammunition as soon as someone went to chamber a round because the firing pin stuck and they never once touched the trigger.

Those are all just possibilities with no user error. Obviously there is user error in even more accidents.
Best not to play with a firearm where you cannot discharge it in a safe direction without harming anyone or facing legal consequences. Just loading an automatic in a safe cautious way has a small risk of discharge.

doc540
January 21, 2008, 08:00 PM
I object to the use of the word "play", but your point is well taken.

btw: "nother story someone posted demonstrated an officer who had a defective firearm that broke and would discharge every time the slide was checked and allowed to chamber a new round."

That's exactly what happened to my dad in the vault.

As a young, 20-something kid newly hired by the bank, they tasked him with unloading an old 12ga pump inside the vault. When he racked the slide, the hammer followed it to the primer.

And it happened during business hours with a lobby full of customers.:what:

Fisherman_48768
January 21, 2008, 08:04 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife says it sounds like a family tradition w/ you guys!!!!

Try online banking...
NO NO NO, there are too many of us on line

Halo is for Kids
January 21, 2008, 08:17 PM
Try online banking...
ha!

NCHornet
January 21, 2008, 08:31 PM
To bad you didn't have the AMT 380 Back Up that I had, it was a jamb o matic and probably wouldn't of fired. I hope and your dad have taken a gun saftey class since then, lol!!
NCH

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 21, 2008, 09:08 PM
NO NO NO, there are too many of us on line

Just because someone else signs up for online banking doesn't mean you'll have to wait for an online teller.

brigadier
January 21, 2008, 09:34 PM
One of the cool things about the main rules of gun safety is that you only have to follow one of them in order to be safe. You forgot only one of them but following the others is what made everything turn out like it did.
If the banks floor was made of cement (probably was) then the bullet disintegrated. I have experimented with bullet reactions to hitting things and the safest hard surface to shoot at point blank range is cement as it turns any bullet you shoot at it to dust.
I love your family tradition for cracking guns off in banks. I have had worse thoughts though. I once considered going in to a bank in a black outfit and ski mask and then just doing honest banking as usual. I concluded that I could only get away with something like that if I were filming for some prank video.

doc540
January 21, 2008, 09:42 PM
Yes, carefully aiming before what I thought was dry firing was a saving grace.

The floor under the carpet and pad was indeed cement or concrete.

Jeff F
January 21, 2008, 10:30 PM
I touched off real hot loaded black hawk .44 mag inside the camper on my pickup. I could not hear or see for a couple minutes.

tsidorus
January 22, 2008, 12:02 AM
yet another firearm safety rule saves a moment of stupidity... We all have had those moments of something stupid... Mine was shooting from a bench with a lever gun... of course your cant rack the lever from the bench so what do I do... Swing the rifle across the firing line... before I actually rack it I realize im an no longer pointing down range and getting the biggest "your a moron" stare from others on the range....

Stay safe.

-Tsi

larry_minn
January 22, 2008, 12:21 AM
And, yes, banks have offered a new Weatherby to customers who opened certain types of accounts. And I know for a fact some of the presentations were made in the lobby during business hours and with photos and fanfare.

As I understood it they would take pics but the gun HAD to go to FFL location for 4473/checks. As I recall I was (loaned) that fat guys anti gun lie fest. "Bowl full of Colimbines" or something.
Any way this scuzzy guy talked them into letting him walk out with the rifle and used it to IMPLY anyone from anywhere would get a gun if they deposited money.

Colin Doyle
January 22, 2008, 03:53 AM
That is, as long as they weren't ad...ad...adj...adjudicated mentally defective. :D

CajunBass
January 22, 2008, 08:08 AM
You never hear a bang, just a REALLY creepy silence and a ringing that fades in a couple seconds.

Ain't that the truth. About thirty years ago I had a stupid discharge in my house with a Colt 1911. I never heard the shot, nor did anyone else in the house. I was just standing there staring at the gun thinking "What in the HeXX just happened? HOLY SHEEP!!! :what:"

I never found the bullet either. It went through a book case, and hit the metal frame around a sliding glass door and put a dent in it as big as my thumb. Never found even a piece of it. My MIL found the empty case in the dish rack a few days later.

I'll take a turn with that dunce cap when you're finished with it. :D

MDW GUNS
January 22, 2008, 08:28 AM
...He'd reinserted the magazine, so checking the pipe was doing only half the job. When I let the slide fall I reloaded it...

Actually, you did the same thing as that DEA idiot in FL who "is the only one professional.....".
Only he did it all by himself!
Lucky for you, nobody got hurt!
If you let a gun out of your hand, you have to start with the safety check all over again, meaning >>> take the magazine out first.
Also, never hand a gun with ammo over to someone to "show" the gun.
Always take the ammo out und keep it in your pocket until you take the gun back.

cambeul41
January 22, 2008, 08:45 AM
My MIL found the empty case in the dish rack a few days later.

At least you clean up after yourself. :)

Pevey
January 22, 2008, 10:56 AM
Sounds like my brother's accident. He was checking out a friends Llama 380 in a pickup cab way out in the oilfields. Kaa-boom. He was startled and then noticed a small hole below his knee inside his left leg. Feeling no pain yet he checked the other side of his leg. A larger hole was in his pants above his ankle and he could feel his boot filling with blood. A long car ride later to the hospital he learned he was very lucky. According to Jerry, he was told the bullet passed between the bone and the main artery. If it had hit the bone he would not walk for a long time. If it hit the artery, he would have bled to death on the way.

He switched to long guns and gave up pistols. Has a nice collection of Winchesters with several SKS's.

NG VI
January 22, 2008, 11:56 AM
I had a boneheaded discharge in my apartment a couple memorial days ago, with my CZ .45. just ringing ears for ten minutes or so, it was awful

1BLINDREF
January 22, 2008, 12:04 PM
then carefully aimed down between my feet to the office carpet
Good thing you are a good shot :rolleyes: ;)

TexKettering
January 22, 2008, 12:12 PM
Try online banking...

Hahahahahahahahahhahaha

zoom6zoom
January 22, 2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah, the loudest sound you'll ever hear is an unloaded gun firing.

doc540
January 22, 2008, 02:51 PM
"Yeah, the loudest sound you'll ever hear is an unloaded gun firing."

Man, that ought'a be my sig line.:o

CoRoMo
January 22, 2008, 05:41 PM
Northwest Texas... my dad's house... my oldest brother.
Brother going to the folks' house for the holidays.
Always carries his 1911 while traveling (from home in Nebraska).
Once he pulled into Dad's driveway, he began to unpack the truck for the weekend.
Told his girlfriend to grab the pistol and unload it so that no kids find it loaded.
She drops the magazine, but can't tell if there is one in the chamber.
She hands the 1911 to my brother who cocks it and fires a round into the lawn.
:what::eek:"It's unloaded now!":eek::what:

Dad lives less than a mile from the town's police department, but hey, its Texas.:D
It didn't even bother the neighbors, much less bring the attention of the local authorities.

230RN
January 22, 2008, 06:11 PM
That was the Boulder National Bank who would give out "interest up front" in the form of a Weatherby Rifle for a CD of a certain amount. They even advertised it in the gun mags.

At one point, the bank was the biggest "supplier" of Weatherby Rifles in the nation.

It also, I am told, propelled the bank into the prominence it has. They also were one of the original sponsors of the "Bolder Boulder" 10K foot races. Actually ran in that once --'86 or 7, I forget which.

And yes, I punched a hole in a fine oak desk once with a moment of carelessness.

Nowadays, if I may pontificate, I always check the magazine well as well.

I'm reminded of the one about private pilots, "There are only two kinds of pilots. Those who have made a wheels up landing, and those who will."

There are only two kinds of shooters. Those who have...

torpid
January 22, 2008, 06:20 PM
I'm reminded of the one about private pilots, "There are only two kinds of pilots. Those who have made a wheels up landing, and those who will."

There are only two kinds of shooters. Those who have..."

Nope.

The whole "NDs are inevitable" maxim is not only incorrect, but a great tool to use against legal and responsible gun ownership.

"Hmm.... If you gun owners are admitting that every one of you will inevitably someday negligently fire a bullet into who knows where, then aren't guns obviously too dangerous for the masses?"

(Yes, I know the maxim is actually meant to make you think about what you're doing, but it can be intentionally taken out of context.)

paintballdude902
January 22, 2008, 06:29 PM
i accidentally put a .22lr round thru a tv

it was a browning auto takedown .22

i racked the action a few times then look in and didnt c a bullet .....but apparently the spring got jammed on something inside then somehow a bullet went into the chamber and .......POW!!! but atleast it was an old tv that i was trashing

1 old 0311
January 22, 2008, 10:39 PM
Had a AD with a S&W .357 in a SMALL room. Ears rang for days, and scared the heck out of the dog.:o

Flyboy
January 23, 2008, 12:13 AM
i accidentally put a .22lr round thru a tv
Given the schlock that they're putting on the idiot lantern these days, I think it was less of an accident and more of a Freudian slip.

Group9
January 24, 2008, 09:59 PM
I feel much safer around the person who has had an ND and knows he could have another, than the person who has never had one and knows he never could.

S4Lee
January 25, 2008, 01:05 AM
Not exactly a discharge, but it was bank-related:

When I was in college in upstate NY, I had a few roommates that were 'into' guns, and there was a fairly varied collection in our off-campus apartment. Well, one day, one of my roommates asks if I want to go shooting that afternoon. I say "Sure, but I have class." So, he says, "Fine. I need to buy ammo and drop off my girlfriend's car. Go to class and pick me up at my girlfriend's after class". Well, I go to his GF's after class, and wait, and he doesn't show. I call our appartment, and he's not there (this was before cell phones were common). I wait a little while, and then go back to our appartment, which was right on main street in a small college town, to see if he was there, which he wasn't.

2 hours later, he comes storming in. When I ask where he's been, he responds "In JAIL!". "For what?!??!", I ask. Well, it turns out that my roommate put his .357 in a shoulder holster under his denim jacket and went to the ATM at the bank 3 doors down (smack in the middle of town, at ~2pm)to get cash to go buy ammo. When he came out of the bank, the cops had Main Street shut down, and a crowd was forming. He walked over and joined the crowd, and asked what was going on. Someone in the crowd told him someone was robbing the bank, so he thought "Cool. I'll watch too.". The cops storm the bank, and a minute later come out scratching thier heads. One of them sees him standing in the crowd, and since he matches the decription of the guy someone called in as walking into the bank with a gun, they proceed to tackle him and drag him down to HQ, about a block away. I didn't know it at the time, but within the hour they had announced his name on the town radio station and campus radio stations as having been arrested for robbing the bank!

There was a big to-do w/ the the NRA and some of the state reps, but in the end, all charges were dropped. (He was a few years older than the rest of us, and had had a CCW since he used to work as a security guard, but had lost it and had just had it replaced with a standard pistol permit during spring break. A few days after the incident, he found his original CCW in his GF's couch.) He did, however, have to go back long after graduation to get his
.357 back...

CryingWolf
January 25, 2008, 05:55 AM
Actually, you did the same thing as that DEA idiot in FL who "is the only one professional.....".
Only he did it all by himself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIJOVD8hwY

Yep, got it. At least you only took out the bad carpet this guy took out his foot.

If you enjoyed reading about "I fired a gun inside a bank" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!