Your opinions on "Duracoating" my RRA ARA4?

PDA

DML2007
January 21, 2008, 08:29 PM
Are there benefits, pros/cons, go or no go, can it handle hundreds of cleanings (does it wear off)? After spending 12 months in Fallujah, Im missing the Marine Desert MARPAT. Please let me know what you all think.

Thank you,

DML

If you enjoyed reading about "Your opinions on "Duracoating" my RRA ARA4?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
barneyfife.357
January 21, 2008, 10:47 PM
Well I am not sure about the AR's but I have seen several other guns with no sign of wear and tear,

BTW, I am in the market and looking for an AR what do you think of the RRA A4 I wanted to get the Mid length style

and thanks for your time in Fallugah

ckay
January 22, 2008, 01:20 PM
You should ask the question on ARF. A lot of people have done duracoat projects and you'll get an answer very quickly.

Barney, RRAs are nice rifles. They shoot great. Mine eats cheapo Wolf all day. No issues with jams or FTF/FTEs at all.

DML2007
January 22, 2008, 07:10 PM
RRA CAR A4

I treated myself to an AR after returning home from Fallujah with the Marines. I bought mine at Gander Mountain. The book (that came in my packet with 1 mag, case, manual) reports they cost arounf 895.00. Ganders was 999.00 but I figured with shipping, transfer fees, etc, why not just pull the trigger.

Anyhow, I have changed the 6 pos stock to a ACE skeleton (long) and am very please. The barrel is 16in, and the gun as a whole is extremely soild. IE no rattling, vibrations, or loose parts. I fire remington 55 grain (wal-mart 7.35 for 20 rounds) and also wolfe (6.35 per 20). I dont know how to rolll my own. I have been able to fire about 300 rounds so far. I usually shoot 100 per range, and take my time.

At 100 yds, Im hitting about 1.5 inch groups of five. Its is crisp, nice trigger feel (they come with a nice 2 stage), and have not had a single jam in any way. It feeds well (only the 2 kinds of cheap ammo), and I really enjoy it. RRA has a nice warranty, but Im not too worried (warranties alswayshave loopholes I dont count on). Im glad I got it, and think itll serve me well for plinking, loong range fun shots, and potential HD.

I recommend firign a buddies at your range bf making teh purchase, but also feel that RRA would serve anyone well. Everyone has pros and cons though.

Thanks,

DML

aloharover
January 22, 2008, 07:54 PM
DuraCoating an AR is pretty straight forward.
Preparation is key. Clean, clean, clean with with acetone.
Apply product per instructions.
let it sit for three weeks.
Go play :D

Barney, yes the RRA is a nice rifle. You can get better quality and price from CMMG.

lamazza
January 22, 2008, 08:26 PM
I did one and it turned out beautifully-I highly recommend it.

Javelin
January 22, 2008, 08:29 PM
Post a pic of it lamazza?

:)

aloharover
January 22, 2008, 08:33 PM
Only camo AR I have photos of.
http://www.evil-black-rifles.com/images/builds/30813.jpg

taliv
January 22, 2008, 09:30 PM
i duracoated the crap out of my AR lightweight build. it looks quite nice. it's blue though, not camo. it was pretty easy. i also had the ace socom stock and did everything except the foam

If you enjoyed reading about "Your opinions on "Duracoating" my RRA ARA4?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!