to poly or not to poly that tis' the question

PDA

paintballdude902
January 21, 2008, 10:39 PM
so i cant decide whether ot not i should to a coat of spray on poly on my ishy 2a enfield

it will be shiny and will be water resistant if i do

it will be more authentic if i just finish it with some toung oil and some wax

will poly hurt the resale value?

If you enjoyed reading about "to poly or not to poly that tis' the question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
takhtakaal
January 21, 2008, 11:07 PM
it will be more authentic if i just finish it with some toung oil and some wax

Tongue oil?

That sounds vaguely nasty.

I'd follow the example here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=2132) and send it out for a good parkerizing if you want to refinish it and originality isn't a concern.

huff.jeremy
January 21, 2008, 11:14 PM
When I was 20, I completely refinished my Ishy using Poly and Perma Blue. I can't comment on devaluing, but the gun looked amazing and the gun shop I sold it to gave me a premium during a college money crunch .

I did regret using Poly on my old Remington 341-1 when I refinished it at the same time. The Poly really subtracted from the natural look and feel of the wood, but I didn't mind that on the Ishy for some reason.

PS. I have had hit-or-miss results with perma blue, but the steel on the ISHY took the bluing amazingly well. It came out dark as midnight and tough to boot.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
January 21, 2008, 11:18 PM
The Ishy is such an ugly rifle pretty much ANYTHING you do to is an improvement--unless you're really worried about the milsurp resale value. I for one would pay a little extra for that finish.

paintballdude902
January 21, 2008, 11:37 PM
huff

thats what i did exactly i used perma blue to fill in patches on the metal and polied over the wood

but i went to raise a dent with an iron and it messed up the poly so i had to strip it and thats when i made this thread

btw- what did u get for it?

pete f
January 22, 2008, 12:02 AM
go to the hardware store and get a can of 8 ounce can of satin polyurethane, using an old rag, dip it in the finish and rub it into the wood. rub it almost dry, repeat once a day for week, you will be amazed at the finish you leave behind. take a piece of 0000 (really fine) steel wool and slowly buff it out, finish with a clean rag.

huff.jeremy
January 22, 2008, 12:04 AM
I am slowly coming to the conclusion that oils are better for me, since when the stock or poly gets injured, I have to consider an in-depth refinishing instead of just fixing the flaw and then rubbing in some more oil.

I sold my gun back in 2003 or so, when they seemed a little bit more available & cheaper... I think I got over $100 for it, and had purchased it for only $90 a few years prior.

They seem to be moving well in the mid-$100's now... I have been keeping my eye out for another Ishy "beater" to restore. I loved that cannon.

paintballdude902
January 22, 2008, 12:31 AM
i payed alot of mine at 210 in nov 2006 but its all matching and really nice wood wiht only one repair on the rear hand guard

when i can i think im gonna sell it but i dont want less than 300 soooo it may be a while lol

my finish was great when i did it with poly the first time but i wasnt sure whether or not to do it again but i think i am

Furncliff
January 22, 2008, 12:32 AM
I am a woodworker so when it came time to refinish stocks on two of my rifles I was a little picky. I experimented with various products and settled on Tru Oil. It's easy to use, I applied it with my bare hands, dries fast. Rub with oooo steel wool between coats. The finnish is a low luster, very pleasing, I think it would be perfect on a milsurp. After several years of use I'm satisfied.

If you enjoyed reading about "to poly or not to poly that tis' the question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!