curious about mosin nagants

PDA

oklahoma caveman
January 22, 2008, 03:50 PM
in the short time i have been here i have seen prolly more threads about the mosin nagant than anything else. i know that the cheap price lends themselves to being bought but, other than the price what do they really have going for them? how accurate are they? etc etc. just wanting to know why so many people have them and love them

If you enjoyed reading about "curious about mosin nagants" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RNB65
January 22, 2008, 04:26 PM
They're cheap. Surplus ammo is cheap. And the make a really big BOOM.

Are they accurate? Not really. Mine is 64 years old and will shoot softball sized groups at 100yds. It all depends on the condition of the bore and crown.

It's just a fun rifle that makes a lot of noise for very little $$$.

Franco2shoot
January 22, 2008, 04:30 PM
I'll jump in here and happy to be the first to respond. I'm a .308 shooter normally, but alway wanted a Military battle rifle. I've been to numerous gun shows in our area, and looked at Ishypores from India, British .303 SMLE, but the one that has always appealed to me was the Russian Mosin Nagant if for no other reason than its classic lines. True, I really like the Garand, but who has 1000 bucks for a used piece of military history. The MN's are usually under a "C" note, and clean up nicely. Also, the 7.62x54r ammunition is pretty cheap, (7 bucks for 20 ) now that's plinking with high power on the cheap. They are uncomplicated, built like a truck and pretty darned accurate, just ask Vasily Zietsev.

KKKKFL

grimjaw
January 22, 2008, 04:31 PM
They're simple to maintain, and the receivers are built damned tough.

But you already named the biggest reason. They're cheap.

jm

cracked butt
January 22, 2008, 04:39 PM
They're cool and their cheap.

As with anything else, condition is everything. These rifles range from badly worn,corroded and shot out, to brand new in condition- opt for the 'brand new' end of the spectrum if you can. Beware of the 'arsenal reconditioned to like-new condition'- they all look really nice on the outside, but none of them have had new barrels put on them.

azredhawk44
January 22, 2008, 04:45 PM
Every now and then you find a really cheap shooter. :D

Mine shoots 4" groups @100yds with surplus Hungarian heavy ball. That's the same accuracy as I get from my M1A with the previously available South African 7.62 NATO surplus.

I have yet to really push the Mosin with well constructed reloads.

I use mine as a recoil trainer and an intermediate practice rifle for when I want to shoot cheaply but don't want to shoot a .22. You can pick up about 500 rounds for $75 or so. Beats the snot out of modern .308 prices.

Cosmoline
January 22, 2008, 04:45 PM
There are many different types of Mosins. The bulk of those for sale are Soviet WWII era surplus. Most are 91/30's and M-44's, with some M-38 carbines as well. These tend to be workaday war rifles with poor to fair accuracy. The best of this batch are the pre-1938 lot.

A breed apart are the Finns. They are fair to excellent in accuracy. These usually command somewhat higher prices but not always. I just snagged a Tikkakoski M-91 for $180 on gunbroker. There are also many mis-identified Mosins out there. Look for the [SA] stamp as a sign o' quality. If you study up you can find some real gems for cheap. I found a genuine rifle of white death, the M-28 Finn, mismarked as a "Roosian Rifle" at a pawn shop for under a C note! That was the same model that racked up Hayha's kills.

There are also an array of East Europe Mosins and WWI vintage Mosins. There are even USA Mosins made for the Czar but never delivered. All have their own history and peculiarities.

bender
January 22, 2008, 05:39 PM
Also, the 7.62x54r ammunition is pretty cheap, (7 bucks for 20 )
where's a good place to get this? I just picked up 2 MNs... and I got a couple boxes of wolf gold ammo, but it was $14 a box, including shipping.
I guess you're talking about surplus, non-reloadable stuff.

when I start reloading for it, what bullet weight did the russian military originally use? and do I need to slug the barrels to see what bullets to get...(.308, .311, .312) ?

U.S.SFC_RET
January 22, 2008, 05:48 PM
I picked up an M39 Finn for 159.00 at a pawn shop and one of the best shooters I have seen, its a keeper for sure. The finns are out there and they represent a world of difference compared to most of the russkies.

pbhome71
January 22, 2008, 05:49 PM
A mosin nagants is a hobby in itself. There are a lot of variance/variety. Once you get into the history of it, you can go crazy with it.

grimjaw
January 22, 2008, 05:53 PM
What Cosmoline is really trying to say, is that they're cheap.

:p

jm

Franco2shoot
January 22, 2008, 05:56 PM
Tough to explain artwork... you'll know it when you see it... Here's mine post refinish work.. (Special note to Cosmoline, note the pink is gone... hehehe)

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71616&d=1201038669

I'm no Vasily Zeitzev, but I can keep the holes @ 100 yards to within a couple inches of each other, no vise just holding it at a table with a block of wood under my front hand.

KKKKFL

Spiggy
January 22, 2008, 07:14 PM
Everyone is Curio of Mosins :D get sucked in

A breed apart are the Finns. They are fair to excellent in accuracy. These usually command somewhat higher prices but not always. I just snagged a Tikkakoski M-91 for $180 on gunbroker. There are also many mis-identified Mosins out there. Look for the [SA] stamp as a sign o' quality. If you study up you can find some real gems for cheap. I found a genuine rifle of white death, the M-28 Finn, mismarked as a "Roosian Rifle" at a pawn shop for under a C note! That was the same model that racked up Hayha's kills.

To be fair, he also used a K31 and M96 swedish mauser... as well as the Suomi SMG

Here's another neat thing about Mosins! The Finnish are still using them! though rebarreled and rebuilt; the modern counterparts are still made from recycled actions from the 1890's.
Here's mine from 1917
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Spiggys_pics/mosins/FinnM39/finnbvkt42.jpg

7-08WIN70
January 22, 2008, 07:45 PM
alot of the appeal is of course you can get one for under $100 that alone are some serious credentals.

also the ammo it eats are very fair priced and highly avalible. as far as millsurp stuff goes. the caliber is also very practical for hunting up to medium sized game and is comparable to the 30-06. acuracy- don't forget the sniper rifle or the russians as well as the famous german marksman sepp allerberger.yes i know the german mauser would have mabe been a better choice but sepp used the nagant with fantastic results in extreme conditions and ranges, if its good enough for him... if you buy 2 one can retire your favorite estwing hammer... the rifles are build like older trucks, not like the newer trucks which are now mostly plastic which also applys to new rifles.

oh and they make a real satifying blaaaam as opposed to a 5.56 piiiff.

spiroxlii
January 22, 2008, 07:53 PM
People say they're not accurate, but that may be misleading. Examine the bore before you buy. Some are shot out. Others are still sharp. I bought two Soviet surplus Izhevsk M44s that had sharp bores. I'm sure they're not as accurate as my K31, but they weren't built for match shooting. They were built to hit people. They're more than accurate enough to do that.

91/30 models and some of the Finn models with longer barrels may be more accurate than an M38 or M44 carbine, but I like how handy the short ones are.

spiroxlii
January 22, 2008, 07:55 PM
It's also hard to find such a ruggedly simple and dependable rifle in such good condition that fires a full size cartridge with at least decent accuracy for just $69!

You don't have to search far to see that people on THR and Youtube have reported taking deer and wild hogs with them. Cheap rifle, cheap ammo, but effective for hunting.

ReadyontheRight
January 22, 2008, 08:01 PM
There is no good reason not to own a couple. Consider a good cheap rifle for every American (exported and imported by capitalists :) ) as a small payback for what the USSR made us spend our tax dollars on in the 50s, 60s, 70s & 80s.

The cheap military ammo is a big plus. It has corrosive primers, so clean quickly. Probably a major contributing factor to the poor condition of many of these rifles.

Also - You can find a lot of aftermarket accessories to play around with for these rifles.

Franco2shoot
January 22, 2008, 10:21 PM
I made a special purpose attachment ( 6 inch aluminum tube threaded at both ends) that screws onto the original cleaning rod. The end has a cleaning patch that is soaked in Windex Ammonia solution. When we are ready to leave the range, I pull this out of its ziplock bag and run it down the barrel a number of times. Full cleaning is always performed on arrival back at the homestead. Its kinda neat to have a ritual devoted to the 91/30 and for the price of corrosive ammo I can shoot all day for a fraction of what my .308 would cost.

gotta love that.
KKKKFL

Pigspitter
January 22, 2008, 10:30 PM
The mosin bug is best summed up with "In soviet russia, you don't own mosin nagant, mosin nagant owns you"

spiroxlii
January 22, 2008, 10:37 PM
Pigspitter, real Mosin-Nagant owners know it goes like this:

"In America, you work safety. In Soviet Russia, safety works you!"

stubbicatt
January 22, 2008, 11:26 PM
They are a lot of fun. Get one!

TimboKhan
January 23, 2008, 12:33 AM
You don't have to search far to see that people on THR and Youtube have reported taking deer and wild hogs with them. Cheap rifle, cheap ammo, but effective for hunting.

For that matter, you don't ahve to search all that hard to see that the Russians have been shooting bears and wolves with them for years.

Personally, I will never be without a Mosin. I have other milsurps that I like better, and I have other milsurps that are more accurate, but I don't have any milsurps that are as all around satisfying and essential to me as a Mosin.

Also, Mosins are a fine gateway drug into other Milsurps. Get a Mosin, then you will get curious about a K31, then a Springfield 1903, then an Enfield and so forth. Milsurping is surprisingly fun and interesting, and it is my favorite part of my overall obsession with guns.

MilsurpShooter
January 23, 2008, 09:52 AM
As far as why everyone likes the Mosin... This explains it the best IMO
http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

And it's cheap

I've a 91/30 with PU Sniper scope on it, 5 shot groups when I do my part are probably the size of a soda cap. That's with a certain type of ammo though, have two other brands of surplus that are "Minute of Basketball" and "Minute of USS Intrepid"

I've been tempted to handload a few rounds for it and see what I can really crank out but it's just not cost effective yet lol

baz
January 23, 2008, 10:43 AM
Well, besides being cheap, which everyone else has already noted, you get a serious cartridge more or less equal to the .308. I took my M44, put a "scout" scope on it, and I have a rifle that could take down almost any game I'm likely to encounter on this continent. I wouldn't take it looking for grizzlies or kodiaks, and range is a factor to consider when using it on some of the other larger game, like moose, but for most hunting, especially in the 48 states, it is more than adequate. I hope to use mine to go hog hunting one of these days.

It will also put down MZB's if it ever comes to that, though I have other weapons at the ready for them besides the M44.

As some like to ask, what's not to like about a MN?

Edited to add: the supply of them is drying up. If interested at all, act before it is too late.

Franco2shoot
January 23, 2008, 10:49 AM
Jay,
What is the best commercial OTS ammo you could recommend. I've found Partisan Privi to be a little heavy (180 grain ) and the results weren't that great. One day I found a box of Winchester brand 7.62x54r and it was great, but I haven't seen it since.

KKKKFL

MassMark
January 23, 2008, 11:07 AM
I just picked up my first M-44 last week for a whopping $75.00 At first I was concerned because the bore was very dark, but a good scrubbing and 100-rounds later and it looks new. I took it out in the snow on Friday and it was the most fun I've had in a long time. I was shooting at 50-yards and was surprised how accurate it is! I had heard, (read ), horror stories about them shooting 8" to 1' high and did not find this to be the case whatsoever. Mine was right on the money at 50-yards and I'm looking forward to stretching it out a bit. Ammo is super cheap, (get it while it is) and the M-44 is just a badarsed boomstick. I had some trouble working the bolt properly at first and even caught myself forgetting it was a bolt gun and squeezing the trigger for a second round... :) I also had the Mosin version of "Garand Thumb" - manually loading each round into the magazine was tough on my fat thumb, (man do I need strippers)....wait, did I just say that... ;) However, by the end of the range time, it felt like an old friend.

I walked out of the gun shop with a rifle and 100-rounds of 7.62x54R for under a hundred bucks and am already plotting to buy another one.... :)

If you enjoyed reading about "curious about mosin nagants" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!