Here's Happy News..... (NOT)

PDA

springmom
January 22, 2008, 06:28 PM
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou080122_jj_crimecontrol.4a783372.html

Seems that those of us in the Houston area are 62 percent more likely to be murdered than the national average. The next time somebody posts on this board about how a person doesn't need to carry around their house, I think I'll just post this link. If that doesn't suggest the wisdom of carrying all the time, I can't think of what would.

Springmom

If you enjoyed reading about "Here's Happy News..... (NOT)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Unknown User
January 22, 2008, 06:41 PM
This doesn't surprise me. Be safe down there. :(

The Cavalry
January 22, 2008, 06:57 PM
Roll out the welcome mat for all those Katrina evacuees, they seem to be enjoying themselves in Houston.

(it's a modest assumption that the Katrina crowd has some bearing on this sad statistic, admittedly)

HKUSP45C
January 22, 2008, 06:57 PM
Putting raw numbers out there doesn't tell a lot of the story. Looking atper capita numbers with out looking at demographics can painta wholly wrong picture.

I've lived in several metropolis sized cities in my life. Houston is no scarier than any of the others. Baltimore, New Orleans, San Francisco, Houston and D.C. are all about the same, to me, if you're not not a gang banger, drug runner or completely oblivious to your surroundings at all times while you travel through the worst parts of town. I like Houston and one of the things that makes it a neat place to live is it's cultural, ethnic and economic diversity. Those same traits can also, sometimes, be catalysts for crime.

I think it's a little early to be selling your house in Spring just yet. Besides, with gas prices what they are who can afford drive that far north on 45 to get to ya :neener:

Also, let's not forget the nice shot in the arm our crime rates got with Katrina .... not that I'm suggesting that isthe source of all of Houston's woes.

One thing I agree with in the article, HPD needs more officers. I have 4 good friends who are on different PDs (Constable, HPD and DPS) and all complain about the lack of hands on deck, as it were.

Edit: In the interest of full disclosure I do live on the NW side so I'm not speaking from experience of living in any of the currently "dicier" areas of town. Though some of my favorite hangouts could certainly be described as "in-the-bad-part-of-town" and I still feel comfortable going to those places.

springmom
January 22, 2008, 07:10 PM
I think it's a little early to be selling your house in Spring just yet. Besides, with gas prices what they are who can afford drive that far north on 45 to get to ya

Nyuk, nyuk nyuk. I'll be sure and tell that to my son who was pistol whipped, beaten, and shot at during an armed robbery IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD two years ago this month. It took him a couple of weeks to heal up....physically. The constables said that, although the guilty guys were locals, they'd been "dislocated" by the MUCH badder bad guys from NO. The constable who helped our son and headed the investigation said he'd been a LEO in NO before, and he'd have cheerfully patrolled SW Houston over NO again...until the Katrina evacuees came and ramped things up.

He still can't talk about it. I still have nightmares about it. Do me a favor and don't make jokes about the lack of crime in the 'burbs here because you are flat wrong.

Springmom

HKUSP45C
January 22, 2008, 07:38 PM
He still can't talk about it. I still have nightmares about it. Do me a favor and don't make jokes about the lack of crime in the 'burbs here because you are flat wrong.

While I can certainly empathise with the hard ship you and your son endured at the hands of a criminal, maybe you could take second and consider the comment in the spirit it was intended. More gallows humor than a shot at the fact that you live in the 'burbs. Besides, it would be short sighted and hypocritical of me to suggest that people in the 'burs are aloof from the crime problems in this town. Most people agree that poor people don't prosper robbing their neighbors, they rob people in nicer neighborhoods.

I live in the same city you do. I'm wholly aware of the problems we have. I too have been touched by those problems, personally and by aquaintence.

I lived with the same thugs in N.O. that have been thrust in Houston. Let's not not cloud the issue though. It isn't like Houston was a bastion of law and prosperity before Katrina. While it's my firm belief that the transplants have exacerbated the problem they certainly aren't the root of the issues we have in this town. We have many, many problems that cause crime here, Katrina evacuees (and still then, just some) are only a fraction of the whole.

So, again, I'm sorry if my comment sounded crass or if it suggested that you were untouchable by the crime problems, that certainly wasn't my intention. I would ask that in the future you take a moment to look at the whole tone of a post before posting an admonishment. Or, at least ask me if I intended to insult you.

Sorry aboutthe confusion Iseemed to generate with my off-handand flippant comment.

sm
January 22, 2008, 07:50 PM
springmom,

I am familiar with Houston as you and I have shared in private.

Houston, has been the murder capitol of the US and this way before Katrina.
It has also been at the top of the list of dangerous areas to reside, travel and visit as well, and again, a long long time before Katrina.
I am going back 25, 30 years ago on some happenings down that way.

I have been in some situations there myself, and bedroom communities such as Pasadena and the Washburn Tunnel...best to have eyes open and carry a firearm or three.

Yes I recall the tragic event with your son, hard to believe 2 years have passed.

Sending best to you and yours,

Steve

Lonestar49
January 22, 2008, 08:10 PM

I always chuckle when any city answers the call of crime with "hiring more", as the sheep that still vote and think that a real change will come and haven't seen it in politics, taxes, market prices on fuels, since they were old enough to understand TV, still believe that the PD will come to the immediate rescue, with more hired hands.. and "just in time."

Same ones that believe that take away the guns and you solve the gun crimes, vote for the (never coming) "change"..

Nope, you're on the right page there SM, along with many others in here and elsewhere but, between sheep that depend on leaders, and their votes, for that "change to come" and stay (.. right).. one had better wake up and take life-matters into their own hands, and pay your taxes, if they want any control over their lives that will show a true benefit, much like Insurance, "when you need it.." (and have it).

Don't get me wrong on voting, but the right man, for real change, full return of our Rights will never make it past the primaries, let alone, win..

Not in this lifetime, IMO

Ls

PS.. mods: can delete the politcal rant, if necessary.

jrou111
January 22, 2008, 08:14 PM
Did anyone else see the other article on that page?

"Dangerous game: Teens hold up Subways with toy assault rifle, pistol"

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou080122_tnt_subwayrobberies.4aeb091d.html

“He took out a gun. He pointed to my stomach and asked me to give all of the money,” she said. ... The woman quickly walked around a corner, pulled out her phone and called 911

springmom
January 22, 2008, 08:28 PM
No, I missed that. Just goes to show that you can't fix stupid.

HK: PM inbound.

SM: Thanks.

Springmom

Hook686
January 23, 2008, 11:17 PM
I find it interesting that most of the folks that want change and increased security, also object to increased taxation. Tough to hire more officers, judges, correction officers and build more courts, jails and prisions, not to mention care and upkeep, without more funding. Think about all that money spent to build up Iraq and how it might have been used here. On 2nd thought, don't think about it, as it was borrowed money (from Communist China no less), that my grandkids will still be repaying. I guess that means they and probably their kids will have little chance of true safety and security.

I don't worry about, as I figure the shootout outside Los Angeles over water rights is just the beginning. We will be shooting each other for food and water before the ocrean rises that 5 feet is my thought.

LightningJoe
January 24, 2008, 01:28 AM
Houston has the look and feel of a city that began its decline about 1975. Dallas has the look and feel of a city that began its decline about 1995. I think Houston is even worse than Dallas just because its been deteriorating longer. They're both hellholes, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Here's Happy News..... (NOT)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!