Quick question


January 22, 2008, 07:54 PM
I am going back to look at a few guns being sold by a woman whos husband passed away. i am interested in one firearm. I ran the serial number and it comes back registered to the deceased gentlemen.

To get this gun registered to me, does the widow have to come with me to the gun shop to sign it over, or can this gun be transfered to me in another way.


If you enjoyed reading about "Quick question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
January 22, 2008, 07:56 PM
...on the state. Should we assume from the fact that you have asked this question that your state even require the registration of handguns?

January 22, 2008, 07:57 PM
I live in california

January 22, 2008, 08:59 PM
I would assume they would need the widow to show a death certificate, but then again, I've never had anything like this happen.

January 22, 2008, 10:02 PM
I actually have a copy of the death certificate. I was hoping that would be enough.

January 22, 2008, 10:15 PM
I had a similar situation (in Washington State). I acquired a .38 snubby when I cleaned out my uncle's apartment (he isn't dead - but has Alzhiemers). My brother and sister-in-law were freaked out about finding a gun, but I assured them I would take care of it (heh, heh). That included making sure it was registered to me so that it would not come back to my uncle in any way if (God forbid) it was stolen and used in a crime. I couldn't find information anywhere until I finally asked a good friend who is a retired LEO. He told my to call the Records Division of the Seattle Police Dept to voluntarily register a firearm in the state of Washington. I suggest you call your local PD and be sure and ask specifically for the records dept.

January 22, 2008, 10:23 PM
I believe in my state to voluntarily register a firearm you fill out a form found on the CADOJ web site. But i believe that is only for a firearm not in the system

I ran this gun and it's still in the system so i don't believe it would fall under voluntary registration.

January 23, 2008, 05:45 PM
Anyone one CA ever had to deal with this, or any CA gunshop owners or employees know the answer?

January 23, 2008, 06:41 PM
Well, inside the family, there's a simple form you fill out and send in something like $25 for up to four guns. But if this gentleman isn't your kin, I'm not too sure.

I do know that if you called up a reputable FFL in your area, they should be able to do whatever transfer you need. The widow would be the legal owner, because she assumes the ownership for the deceased gentleman's property, legally speaking, unless his will or trust stated otherwise.

In all reality, being a Californian myself, it wouldn't surprise me if the CA DOJ wanted the widow to register it in her name, then sell it to you. The other avenue you have available is to call the DOJ Firearms Division and ask an operator. Be warned though that unless they point you in the direction of forms, etc., you will want to get whatever they tell you in writing.

Here's the link for the firearms division. (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/)

The phone number is:
General Information Phone:
(916) 263-4887

January 23, 2008, 07:51 PM
I live in california
...that to do it legally, both of you will have to take the firearm to a licensed dealer, produce ID and complete the paperwork to initiate the ten-day waiting period for the transfer. I left the PRC in 1999, when you only needed to show a BFSC or evidence of exemption in order to purchase a handgun. I think you now have to pass a safety test specific to the handgun you are purchasing. As suggested above, the best thing to do is to contact the Firearms Bureau at California DOJ.
That's why I moved back to Arizona. :neener:

January 24, 2008, 12:02 AM
Thank you for all your replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!