Rem 700 Mtn Gun

PDA

CSA 357
January 22, 2008, 10:43 PM
I Just Picked Up A 700 Mtn Rifle In 308 Its Light And Short Should Make A Handy Little Deer Gun, Who Has One? Do You Like It?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 700 Mtn Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RevolverMan567
January 22, 2008, 11:10 PM
but make sure you dont put more than 3 shts in a string before letting it cool when sighting it in r you will be walking all ovr the place. the light contour barrel will heat abnormally fast, take you time and you'll be fine, they shoot great and handle really great!

Float Pilot
January 23, 2008, 03:53 AM
I have one in 30-06. The Titanium receiver mountain rifle.

I tend to like only very accurate rifles and darn near had to sell this one.

The barrel channel in the stock has a couple of pressure point bumps to give the barrel some upward pressure. Mine were not even and I had lots of problems after two rounds.

SO... I free floated the barrel. Now it is more accurate but not really a tack driver. The barrel is so thin that it is like a soda straw. Plus the stock is fairly fexible and now that it does not grab the barrel , you can move the forearm all over the place with your thumb pressure. Another friend of mine fully bedded his barrel and his will out shoot mine now.

Mine will now shoot two shots touching and the third shot about 3/4 to 1 inch away if the barrel is not allowed to cool down for several minutes between the shots.

The thin barrels are also VERY picky about what type of bullet and velocity combo they like.

Here are some 168 seira game kings loaded by Federal and some 165 grain Fail-Safe loads. They shoot totally different. IT HATES THE MOLY COATED FAIL SAFES ,,, a lot ,,, and that was from a sandbag

This gun also likes 40 year old 180 grain WW round nose ammo, BUT hates the new 180 grain spire point stuff by WW. GO FIGURE

I have a 3 x9 Leupold Euro model with a 30mm tube and the German #4 reticle on mine. Plus I coated the rifle to cut down on glare in the tall grass.

dakotasin
January 23, 2008, 03:56 PM
the 700 mountain rifle has got to be one of the best feeling factory rifles ever made, assuming wood stock model.

Colt46
January 23, 2008, 04:44 PM
One of the prettiest damned bolt actions going.
Very accurate. As advised by others, the thin barrel heats up really quick and will affect accuracy. Only time this is really a factor is at the bench.

hank327
January 23, 2008, 07:54 PM
My Mountain Rifle is a wood stocked one I bought back about 1989 or 1990. When Remington offered it in 7x57mm Mauser, I snapped one up ASAP. Mine shoots ok, usually around 1 1/2" groups with 139 grain Hornandy Spirepoints.
It will often put the first two shots together and the third one some distance away. As this is a lightweight hunting rifle, this is acceptable to me as you rarely get two, much less three shots at game. I have a Leupold fixed 4X scope on it and I really like it as it is a handy little rifle that does everything I ask of it.

cdrt
January 23, 2008, 07:58 PM
I have one in .280 Remington as well (left hand bolt). It will shoot 1/2 inch groups consistently and the 24 inch barrel gives me a slight velocity advantage. Lightweight and easy to pack on long hunts.

The Deer Hunter
January 23, 2008, 08:03 PM
The model 7's are nice, I almost bought one but I went with the full sized 700 instead.

tend to like only very accurate rifles and darn near had to sell this one....O... I free floated the barrel.Now it is more accurate but not really a tack driver.

Its a mountain rifle. Its not meant for 1000 yard target shooting, its supposed to be light and shot at animals. If my new M700 shoots 2 1/2" groups I'll be happy because I didn't buy it to punch paper, I bought it to kill deer.

Float Pilot
January 23, 2008, 09:02 PM
Its a mountain rifle. Its not meant for 1000 yard target shooting, its supposed to be light and shot at animals

Agreed, but I hunt in areas where 300+ yard shots are the norm. Mountain Goats and Mountain Rams. Sometimes all you see is part of their head. Mine is now accurate enough for that with certain loads. It was not from the factory.

The cliffs on the left side of this glacier are an example of one of our Mountain Goat permit areas. They hand out about 1,800 feet above the level of the glacier lake. Although the older I get the less fun the cliff climbing has become...

Bwana John
January 23, 2008, 09:10 PM
but make sure you dont put more than 3 shts in a string before letting it cool when sighting it in r you will be walking all ovr the place
It will often put the first two shots together and the third one some distance away.
I also have a Rem 700 in 7mm Mauser with a Luepold M8 4X scope:D, and my rifle does the same thing, two rounds into less than 0.75MOA, with the third round opening it up to ~1.5 MOA using Nosler 140 gr Balistic Tips @ 2800 fps using 51 gr H4350.

I really like the ergonomics of this rifle; light, slim, mounts and points well. Most of my deer hunting with it has been backpack hunting around treeline and this rifle has work really well.

ranger335v
January 23, 2008, 09:21 PM
"Mine will now shoot two shots touching and the third shot about 3/4 to 1 inch away..."

Ditto. The Mtn. Rifle is a HUNTING rifle for Pete's sake! You wouldn't want to carry a bench rifle in the deer woods so you could shoot five shots at a running target would you? I know I can hit a postage stamp at 100 yards with mine the first two shots and that's precision enough. In some 45 years of hunting I have never taken more than two shots at a deer, and that rarely.

cdrt
January 23, 2008, 09:46 PM
I haven't had the problem of the group opening up as the barrel gets hot. Mine has the fiberglass stock rather than wood. Of course, everything I've shot with it has been a one shot kill, so grouping really doesn't matter.

Deputy25
January 23, 2008, 11:05 PM
I won my .280 MR in a raffle about 18 years ago. Best 3 bucks I ever spent. Great rifle, accurate and easy to carry. One I'll never sell.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 700 Mtn Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!