Hit This Poll

PDA

hoji
January 23, 2008, 07:59 AM
http://kxan.com/

Austin news channel poll on whether or not you should be allowed to carry in your car without a permit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hit This Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dorryn
January 23, 2008, 08:05 AM
I dont live in Texas, but i voted anyway.

Should drivers be allowed to carry a concealed handgun in their vehicle without a license?
Currently:
Yes - 39%
No - 56%
I Dont Know - 5%

TexKettering
January 23, 2008, 09:28 AM
Well it doesn't matter what the poll says, Texans are allowed to carry in their cars regardless of having a CHL or not.

mbt2001
January 23, 2008, 09:34 AM
Yes, you are right, but we sill need to win the poll in any event.

Superlite27
January 23, 2008, 01:38 PM
Thre is also an article on this KXAN page about deputies "minimizing a gun threat".

I have never had a gun threaten me phisically or verbally. All the guns I have ever talked to have just kind of layed there inanimately without answering, much less making any threats.

I wonder if they meant a student who posessed a gun making a threat?

BobbyQuickdraw
January 23, 2008, 01:41 PM
Still losing by a handful of points, lets do it!

RKBABob
January 23, 2008, 01:47 PM
Current tally:

YES: 41%
NO: 54%
Huh, what?: 5%

average_shooter
January 23, 2008, 01:54 PM
Texans are allowed to carry in their cars regardless of having a CHL or not.

Just Texas residents, or does that apply to anyone traveling through or in Texas?

Cougfan2
January 23, 2008, 02:01 PM
I voted, but we're still losing.

Winchester 73
January 23, 2008, 02:04 PM
Just Texas residents, or does that apply to anyone traveling through or in Texas?

Anyone traveling through(of age,not felon,etc.)

Austin is probably the most liberal city in Texas(UT).Still the results are somewhat surprising so far.

MightyP
January 23, 2008, 02:06 PM
I live in Austin, what are the exact rules of being able to carry in a car? I use to carry a shotgun in my truck but the way things are so weird in this city now days I don't carry anything. What are the laws about carrying in a car without a CCL and what can you carry?

Winchester 73
January 23, 2008, 02:15 PM
What are the laws about carrying in a car without a CCL and what can you carry?

Concealed loaded handguns may be carried anywhere in a vehicle.
Loaded long guns may also be carried anywhere.Long guns can be in plain view or secured in commercial gun cases or window racks.

KenRocks
January 23, 2008, 03:42 PM
Voted...losing 43-52.

rc109a
January 23, 2008, 03:45 PM
it is now 42-53

Umber
January 23, 2008, 03:58 PM
Voted. We're still down 43% to 53%. Need more votes.

Umber

jad0110
January 23, 2008, 04:02 PM
Yes - 43%
No - 53%
I Dont Know - 4%

MudPuppy
January 23, 2008, 04:05 PM

Unless you're doing anything illegal, then they can charge you with a weapons violation on top of the other crime. (Like if you're robbing a bank...)

gmhamilton3
January 23, 2008, 04:35 PM
Still 43 - 53, you can have a loaded handgun in your truck but you cannot have a liquor bottle with the seal broken.

doc540
January 23, 2008, 04:42 PM
Poll from the liberal, cedar tree huggin' capital of Texas.

Werewolf
January 23, 2008, 04:49 PM
43 yes 53 no

AND

4% too stupid to have an opinion...

MudPuppy
January 23, 2008, 05:14 PM
Poll from the liberal, cedar tree huggin' capital of Texas.

I've said it before, Austin ain't Texas. :D

TX1911fan
January 23, 2008, 05:30 PM
Losing still 44 to 52, but getting closer.

Winchester 73
January 23, 2008, 07:01 PM
Loaded long guns may also be carried anywhere.Long guns can be in plain view or secured in commercial gun cases or window racks.

Unless you're doing anything illegal, then they can charge you with a weapons violation on top of the other crime. (Like if you're robbing a bank...)

No kidding?!

rdrancher
January 23, 2008, 08:28 PM
Still losing. We need more votes!

rd

cobrian45
January 23, 2008, 08:31 PM
It's still down 44 to 52. Need more..

And BTW, in Texas you cannot just carry a handgun in your car and not expect to get arrested. You have a defense of prosecution if you are travelling (the definition of travelling is not clearly stated). So, it's up to a judge which means potentially going to jail depending on the attitude/demeanor/belief system of the officer that pulls you over. The only way to be sure you're not going to get hassled and end up in jail is to have your CHL.

Long guns and shotguns, yes legal anywhere at anytime in your vehicle unless you are breaking the law or entering federal property (i.e. military bases).

Winchester 73
January 23, 2008, 08:56 PM
And BTW, in Texas you cannot just carry a handgun in your car and not expect to get arrested. You have a defense of prosecution if you are travelling (the definition of travelling is not clearly stated). So, it's up to a judge which means potentially going to jail depending on the attitude/demeanor/belief system of the officer that pulls you over. The only way to be sure you're not going to get hassled and end up in jail is to have your CHL.

Aw,you're ruining the whole story,spoilsport!Lets see the citations about getting arrested.
I thought Texas recently added "traveling presumption" to its law to allow anyone,not just those who possess permits,to legally and effectively carry loaded handguns while traveling in their vehicles.
Am I wrong on this?Show me.

Troutman
January 23, 2008, 09:28 PM
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/LegisChangesCHLStatute07.pdf

H.B. 1815 Traveling & Unlicensed Carry

• Allows the unlicensed carrying of a concealed handgun inside or directly en route to the person's motor vehicle.

Amends Section 46.02, Penal Code to add Subsection (a-1) and (a-2):
(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person’s own premises or premises under the person’s control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person’s control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person’s control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic:
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.
(a-2) For purposes of this section, “premises” includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, “recreational vehicle” means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
Amends Section 46.15(b): In pertinent part:
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(2) is traveling:
(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor’s residence or motor vehicle, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity....
Repeals Section 46.15(h), Penal Code (defining 'recreational vehicle' as a residence) and Section 46.15(i) (the "traveling presumption").

Javelin
January 23, 2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah this poll has to be voted on as those in favor are losing currently!

:)

CrawdaddyJim
January 23, 2008, 09:39 PM
BTT

We are not gaining on them. Need more votes.

51 no

45 yes

Troutman
January 23, 2008, 09:43 PM
<<Yeah this poll has to be voted on as those in favor are losing currently!>>

What’s the point? It’s been fleshed out already(see bill).
Those (gun control advocates’) who came up with that poll, can kiss my gludious maximus in Macys window.

Javelin
January 23, 2008, 09:45 PM
Is that poll fixed or are there that many anti's in TX. It wouldnt surprise me if its the later.

Winchester 73
January 23, 2008, 10:21 PM
Texas Traveling and Unlicensed carry laws---

H.B. 1815 Traveling & Unlicensed Carry

• Allows the unlicensed carrying of a concealed handgun inside or directly en route to the person's motor vehicle.

Thank you,Troutman, for the clarification.

aerod1
January 23, 2008, 10:28 PM
I hit the poll but we are losing.
Yes - 46%
No - 50%
I don't know - 4%

Winchester 73
January 23, 2008, 10:44 PM
I hit the poll but we are losing.
Yes - 46%
No - 50%
I don't know - 4%

This means one of 3 things at this late hour.
1.Its fixed.
2.Liberal Austinites(?)are loading up on the poll.
3.Texas is not God's Country as I've thought since a mere child and are closet Chuck Schumer acolyte's.

cobrian45
January 23, 2008, 10:54 PM
Sorry, that was my fault entirely. I didn't keep up with HB 1815 and the repealing of the "travel presumption" which I always thought was stupid anyways. I guess after I got the CHL, I didn't have to worry about when it was legal anymore since the rules were much better defined.

Winchester 73
January 23, 2008, 11:17 PM
Sorry, that was my fault entirely. I didn't keep up with HB 1815 and the repealing of the "travel presumption" which I always thought was stupid anyways. I guess after I got the CHL, I didn't have to worry about when it was legal anymore since the rules were much better defined.

Don't worry about it.With the tangled gun laws among the 50 states, its impossible to keep up with all the rapid changes constantly occurring even in our own localities.
Now, if us Texan's and Floridian's can get Open Carry through, we'll be a little more ahead of the game.Best of luck.

Patrick123
January 23, 2008, 11:21 PM
Here are the results so far.
Yes. 46%

No. 50%

I don't know. 4%

Strange that it does not say how many have voted.

msb45
January 23, 2008, 11:59 PM
Need to hit it more :uhoh:

Should drivers be allowed to carry a concealed handgun in their vehicle without a license?

Yes. 47%

No. 49%

I don't know. 4%

Big Boomer
January 24, 2008, 02:02 AM
c'mon people I live in this diseased ridden liberal city...we must overcome!

Zedicus
January 24, 2008, 02:28 AM
Done!

Yes: 47%
No: 49%
Don't Know: 4%

proud2deviate
January 24, 2008, 03:37 AM
Voted.

Have y'all read the crap that's being posted in the discussion section of this? Most people seem to think that having a gun nearby turns you into a road-raging moron.

I don't even think anyone not in law enforcement should be allowed to have a permit to carry a concealed weapon much less this insanity. My feelings of safety went way down when concealed gun permits thanks to George Bush started being issued. I am more concerned about someone carrying a gun in their car getting angry because they perceive some slight from another driver & then decide to resolve things with the gun than I am about a carjacker. Carrying a gun in my car would just provide a weapon to the bad guy who might accost me. This whole idea is ridiculous!

Heaven forbid! What are our lawmakers thinking? I can just see it coming -- a police officer is shot by driver when stopped for speeding or ... Road rage where people lose their temper ... It scares me ... we're going to have more crime. Guns are meant to hurt or kill. God help us. I'd like to get a list of the lawmakers so that I can be sure NOT to vote for them.

Not an uncommon opinion. It must suck to live like that:barf:

Don't these people realize that this sort of thing could have just as easily happened before the law was changed? If you're willing to shoot a cop over a traffic ticket or another driver because they flipped you off, how likely are you to give a good hoot over what the law says about a gun in your car?

Don't these people ever think?

mad hungarian
January 24, 2008, 03:40 AM
Since I reside in Austin I voted yes.
I was stopped by a deputy a few years back and told him I had firearms in the vehicle and did not have a CHL. He gave me a warning and sent me on my way - I told him I was heading to Bryan for a few days and was going to go to a local range while in town. We wound up discussing what types of pistols and rifles I had and he asked me where I was going to shoot at and told me to drive safely and have a good trip. Eventually I did plunk down the $140 fee to get the CHL. What I'm saying is if you have the CHL or not and carry a pistol in the car while "travelling" or driving around be courteous to an officer if you are pulled over and it probably won't be a big deal if you're not engaged in criminal activities.

MH

Radagast
January 24, 2008, 03:51 AM
Voted. Now 48/48/4.

Spieler
January 24, 2008, 05:10 AM
Done.

48% to 48%

jrfoxx
January 24, 2008, 12:01 PM
Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far.
Yes. 50%
No. 47%
I don't know. 3%

Constantine-p89
January 24, 2008, 12:10 PM
Yes 50%

No 47%

I dont know 3%

Post this on as many gun forums as you can!!!

jad0110
January 24, 2008, 03:56 PM
Poll is gone, right when we pull ahead.

jdh
January 24, 2008, 06:20 PM
The sushi poll was up when I got there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hit This Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!