PDA

Chipperman
January 23, 2008, 11:16 AM
http://www.ketv.com/news/15115508/detail.html

Girl's Leg Shattered By Round From AK-47
X-ray Shows Injury

POSTED: 8:32 pm CST January 22, 2008
UPDATED: 11:09 pm CST January 22, 2008

OMAHA, Neb. -- A 15-year-old Bellevue girl remained hospitalized Monday after gunfire at a weekend party left her with a serious leg injury.

Nicole Lienen said she went to a Bellevue home to play video games Saturday night. She told her mother an 18-year-old at the party was showing off a semi-automatic rifle.

"She saw the fire of the gun and she heard a pop, a lot of pops. She said it kind of startled her. Then she heard a zing, and felt a pop in her leg. Looked down, saw the bullet hole in her jeans and the gun powder on her jeans, her foot went sideways, and she fell on the ground," said Nancy Lienen, the girl's mother.

Surgeons at Creighton University Medical Center put a rod in the girl's leg after she was hit by a round from an AK-47 assault rifle. The girl broke two bones just below the knee.

Bellevue police said the gun went off and a bullet struck another teenager and traveled through a couch before hitting the girl in the leg.

Investigators are calling the shooting accidental. The 18-year-old has not been charged in the case. The Sarpy County attorney is trying to determine whether charges should be filed.

The teen has not been identified.

The victim's mother said X-rays clearly show the girl's bone is shattered, leaving several bone fragments.

"He could have killed her and he could have killed the young man that was with her. He could have killed anybody in that room," Lienen said.

Lienen wants the teen charged with felony assault and she wants him to serve jail time. She also wants tougher gun-control laws.

"We need to have better laws to prevent this from happening to my daughter, anybody else's daughter or to any victim," said Lienen.

She also referred to other recent shootings involving assault rifles, including a weekend shooting at a Florence Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant and the Dec. 5 mall massacre at Westroad's mall that left eight people dead.

In Saturday's incident in Bellevue, another teen was grazed in the torso by a round. He was not seriously injured.

Lienen is a sophomore at Bryan High. She's a member of the junior varsity cheerleading squad.

Copyright 2008 by KETV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

""We need to have better laws to prevent this from happening to my daughter, anybody else's daughter or to any victim," said Lienen."

Maybe we should make assault with a deadly weapon illegal. :rolleyes:

Glad it sounds like she's going to be o.k. Every incident like this is a bad thing for us, especially before the election.

If you enjoyed reading about "OMAHA: Girl's Leg Shattered By Round From AK-47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
January 23, 2008, 11:21 AM
Better laws? O.K., how about mandatory firearms education in public schools at each and every year of school! Mandatory firearms testing before voting as well.

ApexinM3
January 23, 2008, 11:28 AM
Not good at all for the girl. I hope she heals, and quickly, too.

As for the teen involved? I say hang 'em high. Prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. It will eventually get through to folks to practice proper handling of firearms. Sadly, others already have & will continue to pay for this idiots stupidity.

Oh, and the media is going to have a field day with this during an election year. Great...:fire:

grimjaw
January 23, 2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry to hear about the girl and hope she recovers, but this could have been done just as easily with a shotgun + slugs. Has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the fact that it's an AK.

jm

TexasRifleman
January 23, 2008, 11:36 AM
gunfire at a weekend party

Maybe her parents shouldn't let her to go parties like that?

Oh, nevermind, it's never the parents fault... silly me.

Bellevue police said the gun went off and a bullet struck another teenager and traveled through a couch before hitting the girl in the leg.

Save this for the next .223 vs 7.62x39 overpenetration argument......

silverlance
January 23, 2008, 11:40 AM
Um. You don't need more laws, you need a gad**** chaperone when you have 18 year old boys and girls partying at home. Unless you really like grandkids.

junyo
January 23, 2008, 11:55 AM
Sorry to hear about the girl and hope she recovers, but this could have been done just as easily with a shotgun + slugs. It could've been done with a car + gas, or a lawn mower + loose rocks. The argument that a fool hurting someone by doing something stupid as an excuse for all people being prohibited to always an emotionally compelling, but logically flawed one.

Neo-Luddite
January 23, 2008, 11:57 AM
Prosecute the fool. There is no excuse.

bluestarlizzard
January 23, 2008, 12:00 PM
hold on? the paper is presenting this like an intentional act when it sounds like a UD to me.
or did the evil assult rifle get up and shoot the girl?

sounds like a dumb kid got a hold of someones gun and was stupid.

+1 for madatory gun saftey classes.

eliphalet
January 23, 2008, 12:11 PM
Better education would be helpfull especially in public schools, it should be mandatory.
All you "burn em at the stake" guys it must be nice to be perfect and have never made a mistake or had an accident, or ever did anything foolish as a teen.

murph50
January 23, 2008, 12:13 PM
I don't know if it was legal for this 18 yr old to be in possession of a firearm or not in Nebraska. I think a problem with some of these young kids nowadays is that nobody has ever trained them about firearms or firearm safety.They probably didn't grow up shooting with family or friends. They then come of age --buy a gun--and just don't know about many of the basics. As a result --the 18 yr old has really messed up his life from a moment of stupidity and probably being a show off.
The girl will go through the rest of her life with a limp and a nasty gun story to tell.
What a bummer

romma
January 23, 2008, 12:22 PM
Omaha is off the hook lately it seems! :eek:

DoubleTapDrew
January 23, 2008, 12:24 PM
"She saw the fire of the gun and she heard a pop, a lot of pops.
I'm confused, did the idiot "showing off the gun" open up inside the house with it? If it was accidental why was there "a lot of pops"? Illegally converted FA? That sounds more like an attempted murder charge (on top of NFA charges if it was an illegally converted gun).

BRASSM
January 23, 2008, 12:24 PM
What about mandatory 'Firearms Safety' classes in school, We had to have mandatory 'Drivers Education' back when I was in school.
I think this guy needs some time in the slammer, and some serious civil liability.

The Wiry Irishman
January 23, 2008, 12:25 PM
etter laws? O.K., how about mandatory firearms education in public schools at each and every year of school!

Ya know, I've never thought about that before, and I bet that would do a lot of good. Especially if you caught them while they were still young and impressionable and repeated the four rules to them endlessly. Everyone remembers the stupid alphabet song, how many stupid accidents like this could be prevented if gun safety was that ingrained?

Take it even farther, integrating firearms instruction into schools would open up a lot of possibilities for more widely accessible competitive sports. There aren't many activities where the fat kids, the asthmatic kids, girls and every kind of person could compete on the same level as the typical male public school athlete. And not many sports that teach you a skill you can use in real life.

ArmedBear
January 23, 2008, 12:26 PM
Prosecute the fool. There is no excuse.

Hear, hear.

MudPuppy
January 23, 2008, 12:45 PM
"We need to have better laws to prevent this from happening to my daughter, anybody else's daughter or to any victim," said Lienen.

Whoa--its currently legal to shoot someone in the leg, all reckless like at a party? I did not know that.

highorder
January 23, 2008, 12:49 PM
I think a problem with some of these young kids nowadays is that nobody has ever trained them about firearms or firearm safety.They probably didn't grow up shooting with family or friends. They then come of age --buy a gun--and just don't know about many of the basics.

I agree. I was raised around guns, and low and behold, I am a responsible gun owner/handler. its the people that buy a gun and say "now what?" that are in danger of doing harm, if only through careless handling.

3/325
January 23, 2008, 12:57 PM
All you "burn em at the stake" guys it must be nice to be perfect and have never made a mistake or had an accident, or ever did anything foolish as a teen.
I made plenty of mistakes. And I paid for them, which is also a part of growing up. Letting him off the hook is only going to teach him that carelessness with firearms is no biggie, even if someone gets shot. People don't learn from their mistakes unless they pay for them, and even then it's a 50/50 chance that they'll remember the lesson.

It's a sad situation, but it's one that must be dealt with appropriately. The kid's parents can keep him company in the adjoining cell.

h0ss
January 23, 2008, 01:08 PM
Mandatory firearms testing before voting as well.

:D Yeah, if you dont qualify, then you dont get to vote :D Or better yet, if you dont qualify, the next person to qualify gets two votes :D :D

lee n. field
January 23, 2008, 01:09 PM
gun powder on her jeans

Ehh? How close was she to this guy? Or was the paper/TeeVee reporter just making that part up?

kludge
January 23, 2008, 01:13 PM
I wondered the same thing.

Shadowangel
January 23, 2008, 01:21 PM
I was also curious about the description of the shooting. It also said she heard a pop, then a "zing", and felt something hit her leg. At that distance, the bullet would have hit her about the same time she was hearing the bullet break the sound barrier.

ColinthePilot
January 23, 2008, 01:24 PM
The kid's parents can keep him company in the adjoining cell.

I'm pretty sure the shooter was 18, so they probably can't.
+5 on the mandatory gun safety in schools. My high school used to have a rifle team (late 80's/ early 90's; back when students were allowed to smoke in certain areas and people were talking about the other gulf war) but of course they don't now, even though its a private school. My kids (when I have them) will be taught as soon as they are old enough to watch me clean my guns. It'll be right there with "don't touch the stove" and "don't run with scissors."

Neo-Luddite
January 23, 2008, 01:29 PM
Failure to properly clear a firearm before 'showing it off', regardless of all other circumstances, is a horrible and criminally negligent act that should not go un-aknowledged in the form of criminal charges. Honestly, I can think of no mitigating circumstances which should preclude charging the individual with a crime.

I'm sure many people would like to know the 'whole story' on this but we can guess at much of it; 18 year-old man/boy acting the fool and showing of his AK in a milleu in which it was likely very innapropriate to do so for many reasons.

The only fitting punishment, better than jail, would be five minutes alone with the young lady's father for the man/boy.

Rokyudai
January 23, 2008, 01:33 PM
To quote a person that wasn't me: "Tougher gun control laws will work when bad guys start obeying laws."

kiko1
January 23, 2008, 01:34 PM
What about charging this idiot with gross stupidity? He's 18, that's an adult.

Cosmoline
January 23, 2008, 01:36 PM
Investigators are calling the shooting accidental. The 18-year-old has not been charged in the case.

What a load of hogwash. "Accidentally" shooting into an occupied building? No charges?!

BobbyQuickdraw
January 23, 2008, 01:47 PM
Unfortunately accidents happen with everything. If he was showing an ax and dropped it on her foot, should be sent to jail? The kid did something idiotic. He probably feels absolutely terrible. The book should not be slammed on him any harder than another accident. If he had spilled scalding coffee on her, would it be assault? No.

Its an accident. No Mens Rea, no Crime. Period. If he was prosecuted for being reckless, or something along those lines, fine.

I feel bad for the girl, not only did she got shot, but her mother seems to be sadly uninformed about firearms.

And many guns and other objects could inflict that damage. A direct impact on bone is devestating to the bone, whether its a rifle round or a handgun round or a log or another bone.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
January 23, 2008, 02:10 PM
the gun went off and a bullet struck another teenager and traveled through a couch before hitting the girl in the leg.

Sounds like the police screwed this one up--could it have struck another person and yet we're not hearing about 2 people being hit with teh evil AK in the headline?

Funderb
January 23, 2008, 02:14 PM
gee, can't she dodge bullets matrix style.
loaded firearm, other people in front, in a house.
stupid mother******.
IMHO he should be shot in the leg on accident.

3/325
January 23, 2008, 02:19 PM
An "accident" is something unforseeable, like black ice on the road or circumstances beyond your control.

Let's not confuse "accident" with "unintentional", "negligence", "carelessness", or "stupidity".

Bubbles
January 23, 2008, 02:23 PM
Teenagers at a party in the evening, no parents at home... how much do you want to bet alcohol was involved?

hankdatank1362
January 23, 2008, 02:26 PM
Florence Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant

Wasn't that the one where the guy shot the random girl with a bolt-action .243?

Assault rifle my a**.

-C4-
January 23, 2008, 03:21 PM
I'd say some sort of negligence charge or something. It's obvious that the guy wasn't intending to shoot the girl so the moms request for an assault charge is a little off base.

And +1 to BobbyQuickdraw. The girls mother is highly misinformed. If her daughter was hurt in a car accident would she be calling for a ban on cars?

jungleroy
January 23, 2008, 04:17 PM
I'm sure others must have noticed, it was semi auto, thus not an AK, and not an assault rifle. Really sounds like the reporters for KETV need to gain an education before they are allowed to speak to the public.
Sad that the inanimate rifle is being blamed for the actions of the shooter.
Personal accountability, where is it today.
Besides the story given by her mother does not add up.
Just my opinion on the matter.

RedLion
January 23, 2008, 06:11 PM
Eye for an Eye. That would end a lot of these stupid gun 'accidents'.

If he had been practicing the basic rules of gun handling like muzzle control and keep it unloaded, he would have been fine until his dad or brother came home and found him playing with their gun.

spencerhut
January 23, 2008, 06:54 PM
Stupid can be fixed, at least this type of stupid can be, it's called parenting. I used to get the crap knocked out of me for -any- careless gun handling. Think I learned? Uh, yeah I did. I'm a four rules knowing fool. Anyone who isn't, shouldn't be allowed to touch a gun. At all.

Learn the four rules first. Then and only then should you learn to actually operate the deadly weapon. There is no reason for any other method of operation/teaching.

Respect the weapon, it will kill you if you do not.

THe Dove
January 23, 2008, 06:58 PM
She had gun powder on her jeans!? But the bullet hit anaother person then went through a couch then hit her in the leg and she had gun powder on her jeans??? This doesn't make sense to me? :confused:

The Dove

ArfinGreebly
January 23, 2008, 07:15 PM
Let's not confuse "accident" with "unintentional", "negligence", "carelessness", or "stupidity".
An accident is an unintended event.

It doesn't matter what other factors led to the event.

Stupidity leads to accidents every stinking day. Carelessness leads to accidents every single day. Forgetfulness leads to accidents. Every day. If the event was unintended, it was an accident.

It's only not an accident when it's intended.

The kid with the loaded gun is an idiot. Or untrained. Or ignorant. Or careless. Or reckless. And still, unless he meant to fire the rifle the event is an accident.

"Hey, hold my beer and watch this!" That's still an accident.

Can you recklessly endanger someone and still have an accident? Well, sure. Traffic courts are full of that.

The fact that you were drunk, not paying attention, showing off, untrained, ignorant, stupid, whatever, does not change the accidental nature of the event.

Actually, those contributing factors just make it more likely that you will have an accident.

And it will still be an accident.

TEDDY
January 23, 2008, 07:22 PM
two people in this post noticed the discrepency in the story.another person was shot and powder on jeans.also the pop/pop.was it a ak/sks rd or a 22.seem it should have been louder.the story smells.multiple rds??:uhoh::confused::banghead::):)

jaholder1971
January 24, 2008, 12:35 AM
Okay, let's be fair with the criminal charges...

Kid wih Gun - Unlawful discharge of a a firearm in City limits, whatever criminal battery charge can be applied for wreckless conduct.

Mom of daughter - Child endangerment for allowing her minor daughter to attend parties with strange 18 year old men with firearms who cannot seem to prevent them from going BANG.

Whaddaya say?

huff.jeremy
January 24, 2008, 12:52 AM
Yeah, you guys are right. There are a lot of flaws here.

If She was close enough to get powder burns, she would not have heard a "zing"... it would have been one big "boom".

If she was far enough away to distinguish between zings and the report of the rifle, she wouldnt have had powder burns.

But, this was probably an intense situation.. maybe the girl was a little disoriented about the details. Or, maybe the teens are covering something up, or maybe the reporter is spinning.

catfish101
January 24, 2008, 12:55 AM
I think the gunpowder/jean remark should have been blood the girl saw.

Maybe this was one of those magic bullit Kennedy things again. Everybody believes that story:rolleyes:

Hope she ends up ok and the idiot gets enough to get the message and ends up ok too.

yongxingfreesty
January 24, 2008, 12:59 AM
poor girl, must be tough for her. that guy shoulda been more careful. violated all 4 rules.

Big Boomer
January 24, 2008, 02:12 AM

She also referred to other recent shootings involving assault rifles, including a weekend shooting at a Florence Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant and the Dec. 5 mall massacre at Westroad's mall that left eight people dead.

1st how about laws of the house? 4 Rules? Don't play with loaded guns? Don't play with guns period?

Lock up the parent for allowing it to happen that's a great law!

As far as the second one, I'll bet the local LE agencies doughnut money that he's already been through the system. Enforce the existing laws.

3/325
January 24, 2008, 03:24 AM
An accident is an unintended event.

It doesn't matter what other factors led to the event.
What bugs me the most is that the word "accident" conjures up images of someone who was blindsided by something no one would have expected. It might not be the very definition of the word, but I think it's a fairly strong connotation.

ArfinGreebly
January 24, 2008, 04:08 AM
What bugs me the most is that the word "accident" conjures up images of someone who was blindsided by something no one would have expected.
Parents, seeing their kid doing "stupid kid tricks #206" say, "Bobby, that's a good way to hurt yourself falling off the bike." And Bobby goes ahead anyway. And falls. And busts the bike. And cuts his knee and his head. And rips his clothes.

All of this was predicted.

Just not by Bobby.

It's still an accident.

It doesn't matter how many other people could have predicted it, if the guy throwing gasoline on his barbecue doesn't predict it, that will still be an accident.

Surely, you've told someone, "dude, don't do that . . ." and had them do it anyway. You predicted the bad outcome, and they just couldn't see it.

Unintended and not predicted by the perpetrator.

Still an accident.

woodybrighton
January 24, 2008, 05:12 AM
he's an idiot and if not criminal deserves to do normal safety procedures till he passes out from lack of sleep then do them some more :mad:

it just worries me (not that much cause there a long way away from me :))
about some people who can buy a firearm but have absolutely no clue what there doing with it.

S&WKING
January 25, 2008, 01:07 AM
man omaha is getting bad i live about 30 miles from there and the Westroads shooting then this and about the same time this kid from south dakota just went out and shot a girl waitng in a drive threw and he had no clue who she was but did it anyways

Onmilo
January 25, 2008, 08:39 AM
Just goes to show that an AKM type rifle loaded with FMJ does exactly what it was designed to do.
Wound people.
I am glad the jerk wasn't showing off a .30/30 loaded with soft points.

4v50 Gary
January 25, 2008, 08:41 AM
Stupid kid with the AK knew only enough to get into trouble.

rluening
January 25, 2008, 09:13 AM
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/14236607.html

They've charged him with felony assault.

I recommend reading the comments posted after the article. The sheep bleat loudly around here.

/rl

Kind of Blued
January 25, 2008, 12:37 PM
It was obviously the gun's fault.

Everybody knows AK-47s go off by themselves all the time, it's just in their blood. When was the last time you heard of a non-menacing, non-evil AK-47?

Old Winchester .22s however, can't be fired when they're being pointed at humans, it isn't some fancy technology, they're just not assault rifles. They don't assault people, they just shoot holes in paper and squirrels.

Suggestion: Avoid letting other people's daughters become victims by telling their folks to be decent parents and not to let their daughter hang out with idiots.

Ya screwed up mom.

CZ223
January 25, 2008, 01:03 PM
Stupidity knows no bounds. The boy was obviously being reckless. Why the heck did he bring a rifle, let alone a loaded rifle, to a party in the first place? In the second place why hasn't the girl been cautioned to leave when she sees a gun in the wrong hands? As much as my daughter knows about guns I have often told her that very thing. And third, why does the mother, or anyone else for that matter, think that you can legislate common sense?

ottsixx
January 25, 2008, 01:06 PM
You cant fix stuck on stupid,Im not sure who the stupid one is here the lad misshandling the weapon or his daddy for not teaching his son propper firearms handling techniques............

Geronimo45
January 25, 2008, 01:29 PM
Bellevue
No, I don't know how it is that instances of great stupidity happen in towns with the name of a notable nuthouse.

Tougher gun control laws? Please. Same thing could've happened with a Brown Bess musket. Capacity had nothing to do with it, scariness of the platform had nothing to do with it. One round was fired. By Federal law, 18-year-olds are allowed to possess long guns.

So... what laws would've kept this from happening?

woodybrighton
January 25, 2008, 01:38 PM
well at least it wasn't fully automatic.
hopefully the felony will ban him from owning anything more dangerous than a pencil :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "OMAHA: Girl's Leg Shattered By Round From AK-47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!