H & R Garand

PDA

The Aviator
January 23, 2008, 02:09 PM
I am looking for some tips on troubleshooting my Garand. The clip is coming out after only 2 or 3 rounds shot. I have had this rifle for over a year had would like to shoot it some more. Any tips?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "H & R Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TrapperReady
January 23, 2008, 02:18 PM
Not sure, but if you can't find an answer at THR, then try over HERE (http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/garand/garand.pl).

Vern Humphrey
January 23, 2008, 02:19 PM
Try changing the spring in the clip ejector.

1KPerDay
January 23, 2008, 02:50 PM
Replace the clip latch spring. :) Sounds like the clip ejector spring is doing just fine.

Vern Humphrey
January 23, 2008, 04:20 PM
Replace the clip latch spring. Sounds like the clip ejector spring is doing just fine.
For five hundred years I don't make a mistake, and then I make one slip . . .:D

10X
January 23, 2008, 04:32 PM
I will guarantee you that the follower arm is bent or worn or the pin is bent or worn.

The follower arm trips the clip release. If bent or worn it trips it too soon.

I used to shoot service rifle when the the M1 was still competitive. For example, I went through three barrels on one. So I know what wear can do to an M1. I did not have any problem with the clip release, but I did replace a couple of follower arms.

The M1 is tough, but keep follower arms and the pin in your spare parts kit.

1KPerDay
January 23, 2008, 05:10 PM
For five hundred years I don't make a mistake, and then I make one slip . . .
LOL :D

BTW 10X sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I don't even know what a follower arm is. :D:D

Vern Humphrey
January 23, 2008, 05:17 PM
I don't even know what a follower arm is.
It's that L-shaped part that pushes up on the follower, the airplane shaped part the cartridges rest on when the rifle is loaded.

1KPerDay
January 23, 2008, 06:29 PM
Cool, thanks.

loadedround
January 23, 2008, 09:13 PM
Been shooting a Garand for over 25 years. In my opinion 10X is 100% correct. The follower arm is bent or worn. Everyone in my CMP group carries these two parts in their spare parts kit. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "H & R Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!