A Traveler's Question

PDA

Chuhhuniban
January 23, 2008, 01:13 PM
I travel around in a small (22'), customized Class-C motorhome, just my wife, the dog (large) and me. I have CWPs from several states (mostly Western) which give me the right to carry in about 30 states. I routinely carry in my motorhome, but seldom carry on my person. I have a weapons safe installed in the motorhome so that I can lock up my firearms when I choose to leave them in the vehicle (obviously, somebody could steal the whole thing when all three of us are out of it, but I have to just accept that risk and carry something without sentimental or historical value generally a Sig P220 in .45 ACP when the 110-pound dog is in there, I'm pretty comfortable that nobody is going to try and get in and before somebody asks, yes, it's air conditioned for the dog when we're out of it).

Here's the heart of the question: We are semi-planning an extended trip to New England for the Fall. As a part of that trip, we are thinking of going to Quebec, more specifically to Montreal. We would probably just go straight in-and-out near Lake Champlain, not enter at Montreal and come out in Manitoba or something.

I do not wish to contravene the laws of Canada (it's their country, they get to make the rules, even if I don't think they're right), so just telling me to lock it in the safe and go anyway 'cause I'm unlikely to be searched well enough to find it doesn't get it.

The only times I have previously visited Canada with my motorhome, I entered Canada fifty miles from my son's home in Montana and came back into the US about thirty-five miles from the home of my oldest friend who lives in Washington state, so I simply UPSed my Sig to myself in care of my friend the day before I entered Canada (or the other way round, West to East). Gave the ammunition I had with me to my son/friend, and went to Alberta and BC. I picked it up from my friend/son when I came out, bought one new box of ammunition and trucked on. No problem. Once I went in-and-out just in BC, so I just left it with my friend. When in Canada, I don't wilderness camp (it's completely self-contained, generator, water, satellite Internet link, etc.) like I do in the US and I'm seldom out of cell phone service areas (which I frequently am in the Rocky Mountain states), so I'm a whole lot less uncomfortable without it than I would otherwise be.

Okay, how do I do something similar (or different, I don't care as long as it solves my problem) in a part of the country where I know nobody? Creative (but legal) solutions, please. :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "A Traveler's Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thernlund
January 23, 2008, 01:21 PM
You could send it to yourself General Delivery then leave it until you pick it up. Relies on ignorance of the contents as the primary security measure, so maybe not a great idea.

Or how about UPSing it from a UPS store to a buddy when you enter, and have him/her UPS it back to the same UPS store with the arrival to coincide with your arrival at the pickup location?

Or maybe find a local range or club that offers storage services. Many (most?) do.

-T.

skipjack_1st
January 23, 2008, 01:22 PM
Maybe a bank safe deposit box? I wouldn't trust public facility storage lockers but a safe deposit box might not be to bad.

chris in va
January 23, 2008, 02:05 PM
Maybe a bank safe deposit box?

Can you store a firearm in a bank box? Most banks around here have 'no firearms' signs on the door to begin with.

Flintlock Tom
January 23, 2008, 03:34 PM
Last time I went across, I wasn't aware of the restrictions. The Mounty at the border directed me to a gun shop in the little town on the U.S. side of the border. The lady at the shop was happy to hold my gun until I returned for it or sent instructions to ship it to me.

Thernlund
January 23, 2008, 03:42 PM
Can you store a firearm in a bank box? Most banks around here have 'no firearms' signs on the door to begin with.

Usually you can't as a matter of rules. But that's moot as they don't know, nor want to know, what's in the box. Knowing what's in there would expose them to liability.

As for a No Weapons sign, I don't bank at such institutions as a matter of principle.

Finally, the whole idea as it pertains to the OP's question is flawed from the get-go I think. Bank safety deposit boxes are usually a year contract type thing aren't they? That is, you couldn't get one for just a week.

-T.

EDIT: THR thread on the subject... http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=318594

Packman
January 23, 2008, 07:02 PM
I don't know how it works exactly, I've never done it. However, I know my brother has checked his guns at the border and picked them back up on the way through. Maybe an option if you are using the same crossing point, but see if you can find the # of the BP station and call and ask about it.

mekender
January 23, 2008, 07:55 PM
why not go to a storage rental place and rent a small storage unit?

or, if you can find a decent gun store and see if they will store it in their secure storage area

GRIZ22
January 23, 2008, 09:50 PM
Maybe an option if you are using the same crossing point, but see if you can find the # of the BP station and call and ask about it.

I can guarantee you there isn't any Federal (or local for that matter) agency that will store your guns for you. Why should they? They might do this as a courtesy for another LEO but not for several days.

I do not wish to contravene the laws of Canada (it's their country, they get to make the rules, even if I don't think they're right), so just telling me to lock it in the safe and go anyway 'cause I'm unlikely to be searched well enough to find it doesn't get it.

You are right on that point Canadian Customs or CBP on our side will want to look in your safe. There is no expectation of privacy in Customs searches of property.

Best options I can see:

1. Safe deposit box.
2. Maybe a gunshop can keep it for on some pretext (cleaning?).
3. UPS to your friend who sends it back (just takes your box and puts it in another box) but I don't know if this is quite legal (the gun has to be declared to the carrier) and technically your friend would be shipping your gun to you.

If you are crossing at Champlain there is a UPS store on the east service road (take last exit in US very plainly marked). If you want to try the safe deposit or gun shop find a place in Plattsburgh as there isn't much in Champlain.

Caipirinha
January 23, 2008, 10:20 PM
It might be more risky, but you could pawn it at a reputable pawn shop and then pick up on your return. Would be cheaper than a safety deposit box.

The Deer Hunter
January 23, 2008, 10:42 PM
Would be cheaper than a safety deposit box.

Unless someone buys the gun. Plus, theres markup.

Hook686
January 23, 2008, 10:45 PM
Have you checked out storing the weapon in the States ? Perhaps a city police dept., or maybe even the border patol.

Mt Shooter
January 23, 2008, 10:46 PM
not sure how they do it, but have shot matches here in montana that had candian shooters with there own guns.This was as of last July. I just got in invitation to a match in
Alberta. Deleted it as i had no plans to go. So there must be some way to take them accross. Good luck

GRIZ22
January 23, 2008, 11:36 PM
not sure how they do it, but have shot matches here in montana that had candian shooters with there own guns.This was as of last July. I just got in invitation to a match in
Alberta. Deleted it as i had no plans to go. So there must be some way to take them accross. Good luck

US and Canada will allow match shooters to import their own guns for matches. You need to have proof of being involved in the match and get prior certfication from the respective goverment to import the guns for the match.

You can take guns into Canada for hunting (a friend of mine goes there regularly) but need to get certification from the embassy or consulate beforehand including things such as proof from the guide service, dates, etc.

Unless you have a reason such as hunting or competition you cannt take guns to Canada just to have with you. Even a single barrel shotgun brought into Canada without prior authorization can get you some Canadian prison time.

Caipirinha
January 24, 2008, 12:16 AM
Unless someone buys the gun. Plus, theres markup.

It wouldn't be for sale. You're not selling it to the store and then rebuying it later. Rather, you are using it as collateral for a small loan. You have a certain amount of time to pay back the loan (30 days?) and if you don't, then the pawn shop is free to sell the item you pawned. So basically you could store your gun for whatever interest the loan would cost you. Just make sure you pay it back in the alloted time.

Caipirinha
January 24, 2008, 12:24 AM
Here's an explanation on how pawnshops work. Might not be a bad solution.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/pawnshop.htm

Educated Hillbilly
January 24, 2008, 12:32 AM
Finally, the whole idea as it pertains to the OP's question is flawed from the get-go I think. Bank safety deposit boxes are usually a year contract type thing aren't they? That is, you couldn't get one for just a week.

Most are a year, but the rent is very low. Would not be a problem to rent the box, pay up front. When you return take your item, then let the rent lapse at the end of the year by not renewing.

DragonFire
January 24, 2008, 08:57 AM
I can guarantee you there isn't any Federal (or local for that matter) agency that will store your guns for you

I know for a fact that you can check your firearms at the border, the Candian side, for short periods of time. I've only done it on day trips, so I don't know how long they'd be willing to hold them.

I think you could call one or both border agencies and see what your options definitely are. I bet they even have a web page.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Traveler's Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!