Good knock around semi autos?

PDA

wheelgunslinger
January 23, 2008, 06:23 PM
So, the H&R thread got me wondering about what would be a good general purpose cheap rifle.
And, in what caliber would you choose?

General purpose = killing paper, some 300 meter shooting, deer, yotes, and plinking.

I've been in the market for a semi-auto for a while and just keep putting it on the back burner.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good knock around semi autos?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ohioarmedneutrality
January 23, 2008, 06:38 PM
General purpose cheap semi-auto?

SKS, 7.62 x 39

CWL
January 23, 2008, 06:42 PM
SKS as been noted, perhaps a Ruger Ranch Rifle.

ravencon
January 23, 2008, 06:44 PM
Saigas

Shawnee
January 23, 2008, 07:15 PM
Remington 742 in .243 Winchester.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90058946

:cool:

COYOTE102076
January 23, 2008, 07:22 PM
If you get an SKS, I would HIGHLY recomend you stay away from the Yugoslovian models! Trust me on this! But if you dont, then check out any forum on the SKS rifles. ALL of them will point out that the gas system on the Yugo SKS is flawed. Get a China or Russian model and you will not have near the problems! Also consider the Remington 742's. Can sometimes find good bargans on them in pawn shops.

Deer Hunter
January 23, 2008, 07:34 PM
Saiga, definantly.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
January 23, 2008, 07:34 PM
If you get an SKS, I would HIGHLY recomend you stay away from the Yugoslovian models! Trust me on this! But if you dont, then check out any forum on the SKS rifles. ALL of them will point out that the gas system on the Yugo SKS is flawed. Get a China or Russian model and you will not have near the problems! Also consider the Remington 742's. Can sometimes find good bargans on them in pawn shops.

The Yugo gas system can be troublesome but it's a cheap fix at worst. At best you just have to clean the cosmo out of it. Chinese are good but Russians no longer fall in the "cheap" category. They are pricier and more valuable. Yugos are the least expensive, and aside from the gas system, VERY well built. I personally have not had a single problem with mine.

elmerfudd
January 23, 2008, 08:57 PM
I've never had a problem with the gas system on my Yugo. It was a $100 gun and it easily outshoots my buddies Chinese SKS.

wheelgunslinger
January 23, 2008, 09:19 PM
I used to have a Chinese SKS and found it to be pretty fun, but pretty heavy.
I'm thinking more along the lines of something a little lighter than an SKS.

paintballdude902
January 23, 2008, 09:30 PM
ive been looking at a few

i made a thread a few days ago call "i want a beater"

what ive been looking at are:

ruger mini-14
keltec su-16
and the saigas

1200 meters
January 24, 2008, 02:16 AM
I know that the Czechs build very good soviet inspired weapons. very strong.

elmerfudd
January 24, 2008, 02:26 AM
If you thought the Chinese SKS was heavy, then a Yugo's definitely out of the question.

Hunter0924
January 24, 2008, 02:31 AM
The Ruger Mini 14 is an excellent rife that is inexpensive for a general purpose rifle.

possum
January 24, 2008, 02:31 AM
how much do you want to spend? that might make a difference in what we suggest, but with the info that we have then i would say an sks, or a mini 14.
ak's make great knock around guns, and if so there are some nice ones that can be had at a great price. my favorites being the yugo underfolders, and i have a mak-90 that is a good shooter and goes bang everytime.

eliphalet
January 24, 2008, 02:36 AM
SKS's are clubs, but OK to throw open in a tool box or behind a P/U seat uncased. Instead get a Mini 14, or better yet a quality AR.
If your really considerng shooting deer at 300 yards then I would look at more power than the 7.62X39 or the .223. Maybe a Remington Auto or a BAR.

chris in va
January 24, 2008, 03:53 AM
Saiga. Tough as nails, brand new and run about $250.

benEzra
January 24, 2008, 11:04 AM
Saiga in .223, 7.62x39mm, or .308.
Civilian AKM-style carbine in .223 or 7.62x39mm (.223's are more accurate).
SKS.

Lonestar.45
January 24, 2008, 12:01 PM
You thought your Chinese SKS was pretty heavy? I was going to suggest just that, but if you want something lighter, then any AK or SKS variant is out of the question.

If that's the case, you probably need a lightweight AR-15. That's the only semi auto rifle I can think of that will be lighter than a Chinese SKS but still quality enough to take some abuse.

Try CMMG's bargain bin AR-15's.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=938420&cat=33&

asknight
January 24, 2008, 12:58 PM
There isn't a thing in the world wrong with the Yugo Model 59 SKS. The only difference between it and the Chinese, Russian, E German, and Albanian is that the bore isn't chrome lined. The 59/66 has the grenade launcher and adjustable gas system, and is about as simple as could EVER be once you take 5 minutes to actually learn how it operates.

You won't ever need the chrome lined bore if you treat it just a notch better than a peasant communist conscript.

romma
January 24, 2008, 01:04 PM
The Keltec SU-16 looks good, and is fairly compact.

tpelle
January 24, 2008, 01:19 PM
"There isn't a thing in the world wrong with the Yugo Model 59 SKS. The only difference between it and the Chinese, Russian, E German, and Albanian is that the bore isn't chrome lined. The 59/66 has the grenade launcher and adjustable gas system, and is about as simple as could EVER be once you take 5 minutes to actually learn how it operates."

I don't recall the gas system being adjustable - just an on/off valve to facilitate launching grenades.

KBintheSLC
January 24, 2008, 03:20 PM
Ruger Mini-14... nice, built like a tank, but spendy, and not too compact.
Saiga's... nice and affordable, light weight, not too compact.
Kel-Tec SU16's-nice, moderate price, light, compact.
AK-YugoM70-Built like a tank, folding stock, moderate price, will outlive you.

wheelgunslinger
January 25, 2008, 08:17 PM
I've been considering the Kel-Tec. I like how it folds.

The CMMG site looks pretty nice. I never knew you could get an AR variant for that kind of money.

The rugers seem to have issues with their accuracy.

Artigas
January 25, 2008, 08:51 PM
I have no complaints about the Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS. They are cheap, reliable, and they also have a "beefier" construction than other variants. Supposedly, this is because the limited natural resources in Yugoslavia meant repairs were not as easy to make as elsewhere, and thus weapons had to be reliable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good knock around semi autos?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!