Cammo Tape Question

PDA

COYOTE102076
January 23, 2008, 05:59 PM
If I put the cammo tape on a new gun and leave it on there for, lets say,,,,,3 years. Will the gun rust underneath the tape? What if I used something like a spray-on bedliner stuff? I an looking to build a tough as nails, rust free farm rifle on the cheap. But I dont want it to rust up bad like my old SKS did.
Anyone had any experiance with the cammo tape stuff sold at wal-mart?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cammo Tape Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thernlund
January 23, 2008, 06:00 PM
Hmmmm... Spray-in bed liner. Interesting concept.

I think you could get rust under the tape.

-T.

The Deer Hunter
January 23, 2008, 06:23 PM
As long as there is sticky stuff in contact with the vinyl and steel you should be fine, I had camo tape on my Benelli for about 7 months and it didn't rust. If you put tape on, maybe just re-tape it bi-annually or something.

Spray on bed liner? No. You want something like Duracoat. Its a spray on finish that doesn't chip, rust, flake and somehow like self lubricates. I have no first hand experience but from what I have heard it works well.

squirrel sniper
January 23, 2008, 06:28 PM
if the barrel gets wet and the adhesive wears off, the tape could hold the water against the barrel, making it rust.

B.D. Turner
January 23, 2008, 06:35 PM
Spray on bedliner is hard to beat. I had an AK that would rust overnight if left in the truck. I did the bedliner spray and the problem was solved. I have never seen the tape stick after the barrel warmed up.

COYOTE102076
January 24, 2008, 06:38 PM
"if the barrel gets wet and the adhesive wears off, the tape could hold the water against the barrel, making it rust."

That was what I was kinda afraid of. I WILL be getting the Duracoat kit
www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_blacks.html
If it works, It will be the greatest thing (to me) since sliced bread! I will be geting the matt black finish kit soon. I'll let everyone know how easy/hard it is to put on, and after this year is over I'll report how well it held up to "severe duty".

eric_t12
January 26, 2008, 11:04 AM
let us know how it goes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cammo Tape Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!