Okay, it's time to fess up on YOUR ND or AD

PDA

darwin-t
January 23, 2008, 06:00 PM
Okay, I've fessed up on my ND (negligent discharge). Now it's time to hear YOUR story of an ND or AD. I don't expect to see many ADs, because guns don't normally go off on their own.

If it's okay for me to add your story to my web site, please sign it with "OK- your initials". I won't use names - just the initials you provide.

If you enjoyed reading about "Okay, it's time to fess up on YOUR ND or AD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bazooka Joe71
January 23, 2008, 06:10 PM
Here you go. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=297825)

huff.jeremy
January 23, 2008, 06:14 PM
Well, this isn't a story of my own, but one told by the instructor of my hunting safety course.

He was in his room as a teenager, cyclying rounds out of a bolt rifle containing a blind magazine. Somehow he lit one off, and it went through his bed, into the basement, and back up elsewhere through the floors of the house. He was lucky that nobody was hit.

Lonestar49
January 23, 2008, 06:19 PM

Can't help ya out in the AD/ND department, as I'm too "afraid" that any gun I handle may be loaded, so I'll remain an educated coward..

Glad you lived thru it, that's for sure.. :)

Ls

bensdad
January 23, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hunting by myself once when I was 12 or so (pheasants in the cattails). I was walking with my finger on the trigger of an old Stevens single-shoot 20 ga. I tripped and shot the ground right in front of me. Darn near blew the ass off of a perfectly good hunting dog.

Kingcreek
January 23, 2008, 06:31 PM
Feral cat had taken up hunting around our bird feeders. unacceptable behavior. One afternoon happened to spot the offending feline and figured the old H&R single 410ga would do. I slipped out the front door and was thumbing the hammer back when my thumb slipped off the hammer before coming to full cock. Blam! barrel pointed in safe direction but blew a hole through the front porch decking right outside our front door.
I had a perfectly matched scrap piece of deck planking (trex) in the barn. I repaired, put the mitersaw and screwgun away and was just finished sweeping up when my wife came home with 3 of her garden club lady friends.
Whew! a self inflicted wound would not have been as bad as my wife catching me at the scene of this crime.

Halo is for Kids
January 23, 2008, 06:37 PM
My ag teacher was unloading a tube fed pump .22lr and somehow let one go into a wall.

He knew it was loaded and was pumping it to empty it. ND or AD depending on where his finger was.

Four of us were in the room with him and no one was hurt.

Grizfire
January 23, 2008, 06:59 PM
I repaired, put the mitersaw and screwgun away and was just finished sweeping up when my wife came home

talk about lucky!

jrou111
January 23, 2008, 07:08 PM
I was at the range and my thumb slipped off the hammer while cocking a SA .357mag. I had it pointed downrange, of course. It still scared me.

ColinthePilot
January 23, 2008, 07:08 PM
I have not had one, but I won't be so arrogant to say i'll never have one. I am pretty anal about safety. I've been shooting for about 10-12 years but we never had guns around the house (pro-gun family, just not terribly interested in owning) When I got to college and started buying, I was still well versed in the rules but I would occasionally slip (like letting the muzzle drift to a friend's leg while clearing). My shooting buddy always put me in line and I learned pretty quickly. Now I clear a weapon 3 times before dry firing and always point it in a safe direction. I conditioned myself to strict trigger and muzzle discipline and still practice it. I know most of us do, but I like to think I'm doing all I can to prevent AD/NDs short of never touching my guns.

On second thought, do slam fires and double fires count? I know my SKS did a double tap once and a slam fire (I've learned to clean the bolt and firing pin since then) but both were at the range and I was either firing or about to.

Grandpa Shooter
January 23, 2008, 07:19 PM
I'll contribute to this one. I own one .40 cal which has an extremely light trigger. Accurate as all get out, but touchy when it comes to the trigger. I was just starting to get used to it and was shooting at my local gun club (indoor range). I had a box of loaded bullets on the counter in front of me, and was going to bring the target in to look at it. I had the gun in my right hand and reached across my body to hit the retrieve target switch with my left hand. The awkwardness of that manuever caused me to tighten my grip on the hadgun and it went off.

Just missed my left elbow and blew the box of ammo off the counter onto the floor. Talk about lucky. Bad part was I couldn't retrieve the ammo since it was on the other side of the counter.

Zoogster
January 23, 2008, 07:21 PM
I have never had one.
However if I had I would be unable to talk about it as it is crime that makes someone a prohibited person in the state of CA and removes thier RKBA.

"discharging a firearm in a grossly negligent manner (246.3 PC)"
(listed as a prohibiting offense)

Tommygunn
January 23, 2008, 07:26 PM
There's only been one time a weapon in my hand has fired a bullet when I didn't expect it too. I was at a range firing an old Iver Johnson revolver. I thought it was empty ... for reasons I will never figure out, I pulled the trigger, and it fired one more round. I was still pointing it down range, so no harm ... no foul.
Now ... how is that embarrasing???????

It was only a 5 shot revolver .......

GBExpat
January 23, 2008, 07:27 PM
Never had one, thank goodness ... BUT ...

I had a buddy in the mid'70s who worked the morning shift after I covered graveyard. At the time of his almost ND I was carrying a .45 Colt Combat Commander, C&Led. When (let's call him Bob) Bob came in, I would inform him that my pistol was locked in our shared desk and that I was heading to the john before packing up and going home. I came back into the office one day and saw him drop the hammer on the loaded chamber, merely slowing the hammer by letting it flip his thumb out of the way. The hammer made an audible SNAP. My heart was in my throat ... I grabbed the piece, dropped the mag and ejected the cartridge ... the primer was dented. He confessed that he had done that once with his granddad's 1911 and put a hole in the floor.

Months later, while he was cleaning the Walther PP that I had sold him, he did the same thing and managed to put a hole thru one of his living room windows AND the neighbor's roof.

Z71
January 23, 2008, 07:44 PM
I've had two AD, ND, whatever you want to call it!

First was with a High Standard 20ga. shotgun. An older pump shotgun, was out hunting and the safty just didn't feel right? I pointed the muzzle in the air, and reapplied the safty. Began pulling the trigger just to see if it would go off. About the third pull, the shotgun let fly..BOOM.. scared the crap out of me. I promptly got that fixed!

Years back, long ago, had been hunting with some of my high school buddies. Was cleaning the junk out of my pickup the next day, and found a JC HIggins bolt action 12ga. left in my tool box! Wasn't mine, wasn't sure who's it was.

I called my friends, and nobody claimed the gun!? I thought "what the heck", and tried the shotgun out on some starlings in a tree. Worked fine for the first couple shots. Starlings came back for me, and I prepared to give it to them. Worked the bolt on the JC Higgins and KA-BOOM!! Gun goes off as soon as the bolt closes. Another scare the crap out of me incident that involved the gun pointing in a safe direction!

I've been lucky, my two incidents were nothing. I've been involved in a couple other ND incidents that could have been more than awful!

Was living in Louisiana and had a couple coworkers come over to drink beer after work. One of these guys had just bought a .357 mag revolver. He went out to his car and got his new revolver to show us. My coworker and I were sitting on the sofa, and the new gunowner was in a separate chair to one side. He was scoping out his new gun and just as the two of us leaned forward to pick up our beers, his gun goes off! Bullet went behind both of us sofa sitters and passes through a wall to slam into the side of a kitchen stove! Bullet stopped at the stove, but put a huge dent in the side, plus enamal kept popping off around the bullet crater for 20 minutes afterwards to virtually de-nude the entire side of the stove! He got ran off to never enter my house again. Scared me real bad, would have likely killed us both if we hadn't reached for our beers at the same time!

Another incident involved myself and a friend stopping to visit one of my friends friends. Talk turned to guns and the homeowner went to get his new Winchester model 70 in .270 Winchester. We chatted a bit and admired the rifle, all good. The fellow had placed his rifle with the muzzle against the floor and the gun's butt on the sofa, like you might travel in a pickup with the gun. The rifle must have been loaded, because the guy pulled the trigger and KA-BLAM!!! We all go deaf!

The carpet on the floor rose up like a sudden volcano from the blast. Almost tipped over the coffee table! The homeowners cat literally ran around the room on the wall!! and busted out the front door! We left as the guys wife started eating his ass! Enough of that crap!

Gingerbreadman
January 23, 2008, 07:56 PM
I had a hangfire once. I don't think that really counts though.

A friend of mine told me that when he was living in the UK, he took a person that he knew to a shooting range who was new to firearms. After explaining what to do, this person shakily pointed the gun downrange and fired one shot. He then placed the gun on a table and it went BOOM! After making sure that everyone was okay, my friend told this person not to put his finger on the trigger unless he is ready to shoot. They let him try again. Again this person was unsteady and nervous. After firing once more, this person put the gun back on the table again. Again, it went boom. They didn't let this person shoot anymore.

ColinthePilot
January 23, 2008, 07:59 PM
Z71,
Guns don't just shoot on their own, But I always treat them like they do. Glad to hear you survived all your encounters.

Psssniper
January 23, 2008, 08:05 PM
Nothing yet for me but I have repaired some drywall for an LEO friend ;)
(those shotguns leave some interesting patterns!)

mule157
January 23, 2008, 08:13 PM
i shot my aunts washing machine with a 22 revolver one time in my dumb younger years, try telling your uncle he has to wear dirty underwear until his washer is replaced. man its still hard to set down when i think about it.

basicblur
January 23, 2008, 08:26 PM
Over 20 years ago, I had/kept a Ruger Security Six for HD. One day while out on the range, the darn thing “went off” in my Ex’s hand. Fortunately I’d always taught her to keep guns pointed in a safe direction, so no harm, no foul (had it pointed at the ground). I kinda laughed and asked her what she was doing, and she swore she didn’t pull the trigger. Yeah…OK…
I used to make her handle the gun every so often (when we hadn’t gotten to the range in a while), having her load, unload, etc to make sure she could/would handle safely. After she got through with her practice drill, I wiped the gun down with a silicon cloth (cylinder open) and when I finished wiping all the fingerprints/oil off, I closed the cylinder and gave a quick couple of short wipes on the cylinder where my fingerprints were. I swear I didn’t have my finger on the trigger, only gave it a couple of short back and forth swipes on the cylinder to get those last couple of prints, and BOOM! I see no way the rag could have snagged the trigger or hammer-had the gun in my right hand with finger NOT on trigger (I swear!) and when I closed the cylinder I gave really short back and forth strokes with the left hand.

After what happened to my Ex at the range, and having the same thing? happen to me, I figured it was time to get rid of that sucker!
Being cornfused, I did a little digging and asked how the hell could a revolver go off if the hammer doesn’t fall on the round? Don’t remember all the particulars, but I was told it was possible…

Haven’t had any problems since I unloaded that Security Six!
BTW…we went to a .45 Colt Gold Cup for HD after that.

Bazooka Joe71
January 23, 2008, 08:30 PM
Can't help ya out in the AD/ND department, as I'm too "afraid" that any gun I handle may be loaded, so I'll remain an educated coward..

Sorry, I'm a bit slow...But can you explain to me how this makes you a coward?:confused:

If you give me a good enough explaination, I guess I am a coward as well.:)

Run&Shoot
January 23, 2008, 08:40 PM
I was at the range and getting my .22LR pistol ready to field strip. I was kind of in a hurry and ASSUMED it was unloaded as I had finished shooting it a while ago. So I pulled the trigger to release the hammer and BAM! Fortunately while I ignored safety rules #1 and #2 (assume its loaded, and keep finger off trigger) I at least follwed rules #3 and #4 (point in safe direction and be sure of back stop).

No harm darn but scared the crap out of me. Got a case of the jitters afterward just thinking I could be so careless. Thank goodness I was at the range and it was pointed down range.

Lessons learned: when at the range keep every firearm not in immediate use bolt back with a range chamber flag inserted in the action; and follow ALL of the safety rules ALL the time.

The safety rules are mutually supporting so if you follow at least ONE of the first three then you will not likely hurt anyone. But the only way to guarantee you never hurt anyone is to follow ALL FOUR SAFETY RULES!

Z71
January 23, 2008, 08:44 PM
Worn out Jc Higgins bolt shotguns do shoot without touching the trigger!

herohog
January 23, 2008, 09:00 PM
Guilty of one each.

The ND was back when we were dirt poor and my HD gun was an RG .38spl, a total carp-pile! If you actually practiced with it, you had better clean it, and I mean a strip-down cleaning, or it may not work so hot the next time. (it was bad new and this was worn out too) Anyway, after cleaning it and checking function, I loaded it. For some stupid reason, I cocked it one more time, checked the lock-up and then proceeded to let the hammer down gently. Didja know gun oil is pretty slick and smokeless powder isn't? :banghead: I had it pointed in a "safe" direction and the wife and cat, who happened to be in the room, were fine but both pretty wide-eyed and had all their hair standing on end. We turned out the lights and sighted through the hole in the inner and outer walls of the mobile home we owned and saw that I didn't hit the car either and the round had dug into the dirt between the house and driveway.

The AD was with an Astra 400 9mm Largo. The wife had been shooting it and thought she had a round left yet it failed to fire. I took the pistol from her keeping it pointed in a safe direction. I had my finger OFF the trigger alongside the slide and grabbed the pipe-like slide IN FRONT of the ejection port with my thumb and first 2 fingers making sure my palm was clear so I could take a peek in the chamber. The instant I went to move the slide, the thing went off! :what: I got some nice powder burns and learned not to operate the slide in that manner anymore. Never did figure out how/why it did that. I found no issues with the gun after a thorough disassembly inspection and cleaning. I GUESS it's possible it was a hang-fire but it was fresh ammo and it was SEVERAL seconds (maybe a minute or more) between the last trigger pull and the kaboom.

http://herohog.com/images/guns/0718_020.jpg

Superlite27
January 23, 2008, 09:10 PM
Had a Stevens single shot .22 rifle that I went squirrel hunting with surprise me.

I had seen only one squirrel that I cocked and readied on, but didn't get a shot. After waiting and waiting, it never reappeared, so I walked back to the house and went inside. Before I put it in the safe, I went to unload it. I pointed it towards the door and opened the bolt...POW!

I had forgotten to decock it. So I looked and looked for the hole. Strangely enough, it went through the crack between the door and the frame. The bullet had left a small black line on the face of the door, struck the weatherstrip and cut it, and left a small splinter hanging off the outer molding. I've made no repairs and nobody has ever noticed.

There was nobody else home but me, so nobody was injured due to my stupidity. I am so thankful of my ingrained sense of safety that I had reflexively pointed it in a safe direction. It saved the life of the innocent water heater, washer and dryer, and furnace that were standing nearby.

It did, however, scare the crap out of the windows in the door.

Lonestar49
January 23, 2008, 09:17 PM
Quote:

Sorry, I'm a bit slow...But can you explain to me how this makes you a coward?

If you give me a good enough explanation, I guess I am a coward as well. :)
-----------

It was, and is, the same for me with flying, and of the last year, my new handguns..

It's a fear, driven by, not becoming complacent, taking nothing for granted (in certain areas) going by the book, rules, check lists, etc.

Just don't want to die, or get hurt, being complacent with things that one little mistake can lead to a life changing, big mistake for, me or, others.

It, the educated (and still being educated) coward in me keeps my ego in check, I guess.. :)

Ls

Slugless
January 23, 2008, 09:24 PM
Up in the mountains I handed a crazy neighbor of mine a .357 Magnum to try out. He's been around guns all his life; I didn't warn him about the match trigger on it because I assumed he'd keep his finger off the trigger until he was ready to shoot. He fired the gun as he was getting his grip on it, scared all of us.

It was pointed in a safe direction. I heard from another neighbor that he's been careless about stray shots before - rule #4. Two broken rules are more than enough for me.

I don't hang out with him anymore.

Cannonball888
January 23, 2008, 09:32 PM
Never had an ND.

IDriveB5
January 23, 2008, 09:32 PM
maybe ive been lucky, or maybe just very careful but at a young 23 i havent had any ADs.

Guitargod1985
January 23, 2008, 09:36 PM
Here is mine from August: Life-long lesson. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=297815)

Treo
January 23, 2008, 09:52 PM
My negligent discharge was more stupidity than anything else. I was 11 my best friend stole a Berreta .25 we were checking it out, he disassembled it. when we put it back together we chambered a round somehow ( remember this was close to 30 years ago) any way he dropped the mag & handed my the pistol I pointed it at him then away and pulled the trigger I have ( I hope) learned better in the intervening 3 decades

Iron Mike
January 23, 2008, 11:37 PM
back in the 60's when I was teenager a friend of mine got an M1 carbine.It was the first one I'd ever held.
We were living in Jersey City at the time and he lived on the 5th floor of an apartment house. I picked it up and aimed through an open window at a three story house about half a block away,squeezed the trigger and BOOM!
Holy crap!
Being kids we did the only thing we could do, we ran,down 5 flights of stairs,out the back door and out on the street.
Every thing appeared normal on the street, no big deal,but someone complained about kids setting off firecrackers in the hall.
I saw the bullet impact the roof of the other house,a puff of dust near the far wall.I learned a lesson that day,From that point on I always assume a weapon is loaded

gunmn74
January 23, 2008, 11:42 PM
A few years back a friend of mine that works 3rd shift called me in the middle
of the night and asked me to drive 40 miles to his house and check on his
wife. She had called him and said "gun boom water" and some other stuff
he could not make out.
They were newly married and she was scared to be home alone so he left
her a loaded 12 gauge in the closet and said "for emergency use".
Well she got board and got it out of the closet and was pointing it at her
image in the mirror on the Headboard of there water bed, when KABOOM.
She flooded most of the house. You would not believe how much water
is in a king size waterbed.

canopy2k
January 24, 2008, 07:30 AM
I've had one AD and one ND.

First, the AD. Well, really mechanical malfunction. I was out shooting with my buddies. I had an AK. We had backed up the truck (an old fullsize Blazer) to the firing line (out in the forest). I fired a mag and went back to the truck to reload. I went to lay the rifle down with the muzzle pointing towards the front of the truck, away from everyone. When I set the rifle down, BOOOM. Freaking thing went off! Bullet went through the back seat, the front seat, the dash, and into the engine compartment where it hit a shock tower. Didn't really hurt anything. Further examination revealed that the hammer pin had worked out to one side, so when I pulled the trigger, it only fell a little bit and got hung up somewhere on the inside. I guess the shock from setting it down let it go the rest of the way. I thought I had fired all 30 rds, but I had only fired 29. Moral of the story, ALWAYS check the chamber for clear before you set the gun down, particularly on firearms without a bolt hold open.

Then the ND. I'm still not sure what happened, but I must have pulled the trigger. I had just finished cleaning my Sig P228 and was reloading it. I filled the mag, racked it, pointed it in a safe direction and hit the de-cocker. BOOM. I was shocked. It went through a wall and into the dirt outside. I have no memory of my finger being on the trigger. But it MUST have been. I loaded up some cases with just primers, no powder no bullet, and tried duplicating it. None of them went off. So I must have pulled the trigger. Let me tell you, after that, I have always been very cognizant of muzzle direction. You just never know when you might screw up.

c2k

jackstinson
January 24, 2008, 08:45 AM
While I have never had an ND or AD personally, here are two which happened around me.

1. Decades ago when I was 15, I loaned a friend my Savage 22/410. He was new to guns, so I probably should have been watching him more closely. Somehow, while he was loading a .22LR into the chamber, he got the cartridge rim under the extractor (I have no idea how). When he closed the break-action, the extractor closed on the rim and the round went off. The muzzle was pointed in a safe direction so no harm was done, but it scared us both.

2. I was at a muzzle-loader club range. Everyone had just come back from the target line and the range was "cleared". I loaded my flintlock, stepped up to the firing line, and heard a gun go off to the left of and behind me...as a .54 roundball blasted the dirt 1" from my left foot. Some clown had gone downrange leaving a loaded rifle at his bench and forgot it was loaded (neglecting 2 cardinal rules of muzzle-loaders: #1: don't leave a loaded gun at the bench and #2: check it with a marked ramrod to make sure it's not loaded before doing anything else). When he returned to the bench, he picked up his rifle, leaned against the bench, busted a percussion cap in it to 'clear the vent" and nearly blew a hole in me. I packed up my toys and headed home, thankful that everything attached to me was still intact.

JS

PILMAN
January 24, 2008, 09:10 AM
I've never had one (and I hope I never do) but my dad had a accidental or negligent discharge. I don't remember the full details but I was about 8 years old at the time. My dad was cleaning one of his handguns and it was late at night at our house in the living room, I think he had a squib or something because he was fiddling around with the barrel. I don't remember the gun being taken apart but I remember the magazine was out of the gun. I was sitting next to him watching tv. Seconds later I hear a really loud bang and my ears are ringing like crazy. The ceiling had a large hole in it, my mother comes in screaming asking what the hell happened and their asking me if i'm alright. I went to sleep and my ears were still ringing, they were fine the next day. I could hear my parents yelling and my dad was claiming it was a blank.

Scary moment, and i'm sure a very embarrassing moment for my dad. My guess is he pulled the trigger as I don't see how it would have went off on it's own, he was pretty obsessive about safety and a FFL dealer at the time. My mother hated guns for a long time saying my dad could have killed me.

SaxonPig
January 24, 2008, 09:41 AM
Two in 40 years of handling guns. Been 30 years since the last one (knock on wood). One was clearly my fault. I swear I unloaded that 22 auto pistol (well, except for the one in the chamber, the classic bonehead mistake). A 40 grain 22 LR from a 4" barrel punched through five interior walls. Must have nothing but dry-wall.

Second was a 1911 that fired when the hammer was manually lowered. No slipping, hammer under control and softly lowered, but gun fired. Since then I learned that primers can get sensitive from loading and unloading over time and can fire at the slightest touch. May have happened, here. Bullet went harmlessly into cement floor covered by carpet.

You try. You try real hard. You hope it never happens. But humans are imperfect by design. Remember the 4 rules.

41magsnub
January 24, 2008, 10:16 AM
The only one I have ever had was on a ad hoc pheasant hunting trip while visiting my parents out of town and had none of my hunting stuff with me. An old buddy from high school wanted to go, and I borrowed field cloths from my dad and a spare shotgun from the buddy. The shotgun was an OU and I had never so much as held an OU before. I am still not sure how I did it, but I managed to set it off while it was cradled in my arm (pointed in a safe direction).

Cyclimus
January 24, 2008, 11:53 AM
Never had one myself thankfully and plan to never have one. However, my grandfather had a good one that I was party to and helped repair the damage done.

He was going to clean a 20 ga. shotgun on his enclosed patio when he must've brushed the trigger and this sucker had a hair trigger - the shot penetrated a window into the kitchen and embedded in the ceiling - nice tight pattern too as the range was about three feet. Amazingly this plate glass window didn't shatter, there was just a clean punched hole right through the corner of it where the shot discharged. When I finally got to take a look - the brass on the shot shell had blackened from age - thus my first rule of handling firearms - always manually check the chamber!

doc540
January 24, 2008, 12:19 PM
this one is serious (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=333186)
:banghead:

Pushrod
January 24, 2008, 12:54 PM
I have had one in nearly 35 years of gun ownership.
I used to practice pulling the trigger without jerking it, on my S&W model 29 .357 revolver while sitting around the home. I would empty all the rounds out of the cylinder and point the gun out the window at the yard and squeeze the trigger trying to keep the barrel steady.
My wife would get home from work in the middle of the night and instead of waking me would go sleep in the spare bedroom and she liked having this handgun close to her for home defence, so she would usually grab it and put it on the nightstand next to her. This one evening I go to retrieve the gun and it isn't where I left it but on the night stand in the spare bedroom. I know I had not reloaded it last night like I normally do, and did not even consider that my wife had reloaded it when she got home. I was in the kitchen, with our chow 'Diablo' at my feet and pointed the gun out the front window and pulled the trigger. What a shock the sound of that blast was. Put a nice hole through the double pane window and the storm window. I was so thankful that I hadn't pointed it at the mutt or anything else of significance in the house. I also was ashamed that I had broken one of the sacred gun handling rules. Needless to say I never practiced like that again, and to add to my shame I lied to my wife about it the next day when she was home and said I had been playing around with Diablo and a broom and the broom handle had gone through the window. She never questioned it and doesn't know my secret to this day.

BlazingAngel01
January 24, 2008, 01:05 PM
Well you could say this is a hang fire or who ever had it did something wrong. I just bought my WASR-10 AK-47 and i took it down to mu uncles farm. Well i didn't know it (thought the range checks the weapon but no they don't) The hammer was in backwards. so i would shoot 2 rounds then i nothing so i took my hand off the pistol grip and it went off well i was still pointed down range but took the mag out cleared the weapon fixed it and had a chat with the gun store owner.

Joe Demko
January 24, 2008, 01:11 PM
I had an unintentional discharge from a Remington Mohawk 600 on a deer hunting trip. I snapped the safety off in order to unload the gun when we were returning to the vehicles. The gun discharged. I had it pointed in a safe direction, nobody harmed. My dad was sufficiently enraged at my "carelessness" to biff me one in the head. I was certain my finger wasn't on the trigger, but didn't want to argue the point and get belted another one. That was over 30 years ago. My dad still remembers it as me being careless with the trigger.
Since then I've found out that model was recalled for defective trigger mechanisms that would occasionally fire when the safety was released. None the less, I didn't intend the rifle tofire when it did so it was unintentional. Muzzle discipline is always a good thing.

Quoheleth
January 24, 2008, 01:16 PM
AD: Was pot-shooting at turtles on a neighbor's tank (stock tank, aka "pond") on a cool morning. Was shooting Dad's old single-shot Stevens .22 that had a heavy straight-pull hammer. Somehow the hammer slipped through my fingers with enough force to pop off that .22 round. Don't know who was more scared: the big turtle I was trying to bust or me!

The ND still scares me to this day, and it was 20+ years ago. My brother and I were shooting my Savage 110 in .270 Winchester, getting ourselves warmed up for deer season. We were shooting from one hilltop, across a ravine, to another hillside about 150 yards away. I loaded 4 and shot 4 - I was certain - and sent him to mark the shots on the target. I watched him through my binoculars and while he walked back towards me, I made adjustments to the scope. I have no idea what the heck I was thinking, but I decided to dryfire. Except the gun wasn't dry. Kablooie! I sent a 130 grain silvertip over my brother's head and into the hillside opposite me. Thankfully, he was down in the gulley - he didn't even know I shot. I let him finish shooting then...I had the shakes so bad I couldn't even load the gun for him.

Thank God...He was watching over us that day!

Please...if there is any lesson to be learned by all these "funny" stories, it's don't try to show those of us who have been fortunate how fortunate you can be as well!!!
Q

realmswalker
January 24, 2008, 01:38 PM
I was sitting at home when I was 16. It was around 2pm when I heard my dad come home from work. Heard the garage close and then a loud bang. For some reason I knew exactly what it was and my first though was "hope he didn't shoot himself" i went into the garage and he was standing there inspecting a nice little hole in the door of a freezer in our garage Made by a black talon 9mm out of a beretta 92.

thinking back now i remember sometimes seeing him put the gun on safe and pulling the trigger a time or to to test it i guess. anyway we packed the hole with paper towel and that freezer went right on working for many years.

I have had one AD. I was at the range with a friend and hand my colt python cocked and ready to fire pointed down range and I was in a shooting stance. I turned to answer a question my buddy asked and i guess i tightened my finger slightly and BOOM!. He looked at me and said,"you didn't mean to do that did you? I said nope.

Does this really count as an AD?

oklahoma caveman
January 24, 2008, 02:17 PM
1 nd

i was 8 yr old and was shooting my new nef 410 single shot for the first time. i dont remember why but i eared back the hammer and then decided not to shoot. went to lower the hammer and it slipped off my thumb. shot hit about 3 inches in front of my boot. was a major shock.

The Annoyed Man
January 24, 2008, 03:43 PM
...so here is my confession (again) (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=3809088&postcount=120). I'm too lazy to retype it, but not too lazy to make sure that it NEVER happens again. It scared the hell out of me, and I've stayed scared ever since, and you can take that to the bank.

Notch
January 24, 2008, 04:44 PM
Up in the mountains I handed a crazy neighbor of mine a .357 Magnum to try out. He's been around guns all his life; I didn't warn him about the match trigger on it because I assumed he'd keep his finger off the trigger until he was ready to shoot. He fired the gun as he was getting his grip on it, scared all of us.

It was pointed in a safe direction. I heard from another neighbor that he's been careless about stray shots before - rule #4. Two broken rules are more than enough for me.

I don't hang out with him anymore.

Was that a cocked handgun you handed him? I have heard of hair triggers before, but if ya finger an uncocked DA hard enough to set it off, hair trigger or not, your in trouble.

Vaarok
January 24, 2008, 05:26 PM
Blew a hole through the barn porch roof. Was stepping out from under cover to blast pigeons, and the cat (being eager for fresh birds and all) tangled in my feet and tripped me. Went down hard and in the process of keeping the shotgun pointed up and using the butt to break my fall, swiped the trigger.

larry_minn
January 24, 2008, 05:30 PM
I'm too lazy to look up where I posted this before. :)
It was a ND. My fault (and range officer gets 2% of blame) ;)
We were a group shooting a "action" league. bowling pins/move to cover/hostage targets at varied ranges outdoors.
After we were done for night (but BEFORE beer come out as group was VERY stict that guns are cased before beer is broken out)
One member of group (Deputy Sheriff) had a POS pickup that he was going to use for a wood hauler only till it died. He decided he wanted a string of bullet holes thru box. He (temp) marked "no shoot" areas (wireing/fuel tank/lines/etc) and marked how he wanted shots. (to emulate a sub machine gun burst) across his bed. (he parked next to Sheriff and had a story planned)
Anyway I had a mag that I KNEW held 3 rds. (first mistake) I lined up and fired the 3 and RO gave commands to remove mag/show empty chamber/drop hammer and holster. Thing is it was getting DARK rather fast and the fire was not kicking out much light. I had (assumed) the slide went forward because of mag and as no rd came out when I jacked slide back and RO looked..... I pointed at next (target area) and dropped hammer. BOOM
So it qualifies as ND Nobody was in any danger/bullet did hit target.... I just didn't think it was loaded. So a flashlight was gotten to make SURE. ;)

1200 meters
January 24, 2008, 11:05 PM
Saving grace in this story is muzzle dscipline. I was firing different guns on the range when the P-38 jammed with the slide disengaged about 1/2 inch. Could barely see the brass, and could not tell if it was a round being fed aor ejected. Tried to eject it but the slide would not move, open or close. Left it along until I returned home and cleaned the other pistols and put them in the safe. Safe is located in my Basement. I tried to tap the slide fore and back ...nothing moved, I was stadning side ways to my safe with the gun pointed in that direction, I unsrewed the hand guards/grips to expose the frame and then pushed the screwdriver up into the mag well to see if I could pry it loose somehow.and "BANG. The slide shot foreward and fired a round into the edge of my safe. Put a 1/2 in depression beside te door of the safe. no penetration ,just a deep dent. Two good things barrel pointed away from harm and the roung was a hollow point which totally vaporized. (special Note: don't shoot hollow points in P-38s, pretty picky gun likes parabellum.

AndyC
January 24, 2008, 11:17 PM
Never had one in over 30 years of shooting, but that just makes me all the more careful because I know I could be next.

grimjaw
January 25, 2008, 01:00 AM
Already fessed.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=165697

jm

S&WKING
January 25, 2008, 01:12 AM
it wasnt really nd but we were shooting a friends moms 9mm i think it was S&W but we couldnt get it to shoot i was probably the better with gun and i was looking at it turned the safety off and pointed and tried to shoot it but it didnt go so i kept pulling the trigger and nothing on the last time i didnt think anything had xchanged but it went off and i was lucky to be poiting it down range

Regolith
January 25, 2008, 01:27 AM
I've had two, both when I was much younger. The first time I was 11 or 12 and was plinking with my father and brother out in the desert. I thought the gun was empty (the follower on that tube fed .22 was brass, so it was hard to tell) and I pulled the trigger to "check." Barrel was pointed in a safe direction, but the round impacted fairly close to me and it was obvious I was expecting a click instead of a bang. Got my ass chewed for that one.

Second time was a couple years after the first incident, plinking on the family farm, again with my father and brother. I was using my grandfather's lever action .22, and as I was letting down the hammer it slipped out from under my thumb and hit the firing pin, setting off the cartridge. Again, it was pointed in safe direction, nothing destroyed or injured. Didn't get my ass chewed as much that time. Think my father thought it was more of an honest mistake than the first one. Haven't had another one since.

Phyphor
January 25, 2008, 02:18 AM
Yea, I've had one.... (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=170191&highlight=discharge)

verb0s
January 25, 2008, 02:30 AM
ND or AD, waht ever it could be classified as, when I bought me second rifle (the SKS) I didn't know much about it. My first gun is a Marlin .22lr. It came new, I gave it a quick clean and it worked fine.

I figured it was the same for my SKS. Except it came used. It looked clean enough. A quick clean of the barrel, inspection of the various features, loaded a clip into it, pulled back the bolt, and let go.

KA-BLAMO!

It was pointed in a safe direction, but I wan't holding it right. I didn't figure it would go off like that.
Since I wan't really holding it right, the rifle jumped out of my hand and fired a hole into a cinder-block port-a-potty.
It gave me quite a fright.

Needless to say, a quick wipe-down wasn't enough. So I cleaned all the parts and removed most of the cosmoline. But not enough.

A second screw-up, I didn't get all the cosmoline out of the bolt and firing pin, so it went full auto. It took 67 rounds before I came to my senses that I should stop before I hit someone (I couldn't control it too well).

Now I cleaned the entire bolt assembly, so that the pin moves freely. It shouldn't have the slam-fire / full auto problem again. I haven't had a chance to try shooting it again yet.

chris in va
January 25, 2008, 02:52 AM
I didn't directly do it, but...

Shooting my CZ x39 carbine at the range, I handed it over to a good friend of mine. I pointed out it has a set trigger with a 1# pull. Pointed at the sky (thankfully) he accidentally touched it off about 3' from my head.

To this day I don't know how/why the set trigger got activated. I don't remember doing it, but at least the other 3 rules came into play that day.

Diamondback6
January 25, 2008, 03:14 AM
Airsoft "1911" into my thigh. First and only... that sucker hurt enough to make sure I never let it happen again--mind you, this was with the safety ON! (Shoulda remembered the rule about "the safety is between the ears, or the finger, never a mechanical part...")

brentn
January 25, 2008, 03:16 AM
I have never had one :D

However I have only been shooting for a year.

bogie
January 25, 2008, 04:07 AM
You know, in some university somewhere, there's a guy who is doubtless going through this stuff and counting... I can read that letter to the editor now...

"In one internet forum, members gleefully acknowledged their safety lapses, recounting tales of hundreds of rounds accidentally fired, all capable of maiming or killing children or baby seals."

Colt
January 25, 2008, 01:42 PM
My first (and last) ND was when I was 8 years old. After unloading and wiping down my Red Ryder, I was "practicing" shooting down imaginary pheasants. I swept the bb gun across the bedroom, and fired several times. On the 5th or 6th try, a bb came out and put a spidery crack in the exact center of a mirror hanging on my closet door.

Because the crack was so perfectly dead-center, my father was convinced I'd shot it on purpose. But he said whether it was intentional or not, I needed to learn my lesson. I spent the rest of the summer without my bb gun.

The Annoyed Man
January 25, 2008, 06:08 PM
It took 67 rounds before I came to my senses that I should stop before I hit someone (I couldn't control it too well).Gee, it only took 67 rounds to figure out something was wrong? :D

IN>IL
January 25, 2008, 08:15 PM
Alright, I will share the story of my almost disastrous ND!

I had just purchased a Glock 27. I asked the shop owner whether the magazines for my Glock 22 and 23 would work in the 27. The shop owner said they would, but some gun shop “expert” said they would not and explained to me why. I went out to my truck, pulled a 22 Magazine from the glove compartment, and cycled a few rounds through my new Glock 27. It worked perfectly. I dropped the 22 mag, returned it to my glove compartment, loaded a 27 mag and put it in my new pistol. Before I placed the new Glock 27 into the center consol, I pulled the trigger thinking I was simply going to decock the pistol!

BOOM!!! I was immediately in shock! The world seemed surreal. That may have been because I just fired a pistol in an enclosed vehicle at less than arms length, or it may have been because the bullet went through my knee. I was wearing shorts and saw blood bubbling from the two new holes in my knee. My first thought was, “Oh sh**”. My second thought was to call 911, however, I worked for the local ambulance service, so that was not going to happen. I thought for what seemed to be a lifetime about driving to the hospital 40 minutes away, but instead I just bit the bullet and walked into the local ER. Yes, I walked into the local ER! The bullet went into my right knee just above the knee cap, somehow traveled along side the kneecap without hitting anything, and exited right below my kneecap. I walked out of the hospital two hours later with some pain meds and antibiotics!

When talking about “close calls”, I was only millimeters from destroying my kneecap, or blowing off my leg above the knee. The bullet hole next to my cigarette lighter serves as a constant reminder of rules 1, 2, 3, and 4

cmb3366
January 25, 2008, 09:14 PM
Only ND I've had was one time on an indoor range when I was shooting a single shot position style.22lr with a very, very light trigger offhand. I had taken up the first stage, but got the shakes before I made the shot, so I took the rifle off my shoulder, and held it at waist level to settle down.

When I went to bring that rifle to my shoulder again, I brushed the trigger, and the rifle went crack. The rifle was pointed safely down range, so it was no harm done, but it did get my attention. You allways have to be aware of where your muzzle is, expecially when you've got no safety and a touchy trigger. If you're following the basic safety rules, nothing gets hurt from a ND or AD but your ego.

darwin-t
January 25, 2008, 10:48 PM
I'll add another. I didn't see it happened, but I sawthe hole it made.

In the late 70s I worked in a foundry. Dave had a 12 guage he wanted to show somebody. It was in his truck in the employee parking lot. It was empty, he opened it, inserted a deer slug. As he closed it ( I don't know the terms, I don't know anything about shotguns) he said "Watch out, it has a hair trigger". Needless to say it went off. It left a BIG hole through the door of his pickup.

Nomad101bc
January 26, 2008, 12:19 AM
No ND's or ADs; I am considered by my family to essentailly be the safety nazi. I wont even let people stand outside while I am shooting unless they are wearing ears and eyes. Rather OCD about exactly how the bolt cycles on my semi automatics too.

I did once forget about a misfired round left in the chamber but I always clear my bolt before putting my firearm in its case and lock the bolt in the open position. So i quickly discovered the unfired bullet and it was still in a safe direction so I removed the round and went about my day. Thats the closest to an ND I have had.

Hanzerik
January 26, 2008, 11:22 AM
Been shooting for 25yrs and have not had one. Maybe a few years working as a Instructor/RSO at a Boy Scout rifle range with a retired USMC Gunny in charge and the last 19yrs in the military has helped.

Jaguar
January 26, 2008, 01:47 PM
In 1985, I was 20, living with a good friend who had a CZ 9mm pistol with a military type holster with the flap over the top. One day, I get home from work and the house has a bunch of friends in it and about that my room mate's sister comes walking out of my buddy's bedroom with the pistol. Without thinking I took the gun from her and standing behind a couch with the gun over the back, I reach in to the holster to pull out the weapon and drop the holster on the couch when bang. Didn't even clear the leather because that gun that we always agreed to keep unloaded, was not just loaded but cocked and locked and ready to shoot. Seems her husband was acting like an idiot, threatening to shoot himself in the bedroom and she took to gun away from him.

Well, I looked at my hand, lots of powder burns and instant sensation of numb, some blood, then I see where my thumb is creased right at the end. Upon further inspection I notice a little round black spot, about 9mm in diameter on the inside of my left middle finger just below the middle knuckle, and a matching spot on the back of the finger just above the knuckle. Time to go to the hospital.

Two surgeries later I still cannot bend my left middle finger in the middle. I have the bullet FMJ, it struck a piece of steel in the frame of the couch (hide-a-bed) and is a little distorted but intact. I carry a constant reminder of the incident every time I look at my left hand. If anyone else cares to see, here you go.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8626/fingerco9.jpg

Griffin1340
January 26, 2008, 02:11 PM
OK, Heres my AD/ND story...
Aug. 2000 I was in the Army National Guard on a training deployment in Idaho.
As the Squad Leader most of the men would [naturally] come to me with a problem.
One of my PFC's brought up the reciever to the M2 .50cal, when he was attempting to dissamble it prior to cleaning, he could not get the rear spade grip cover off the weapon. Well I knew that if the weapon was 'cocked' it would not release the tension off the cover...so I 'fired' the .50:what::cuss:
Needless to say there was a live round still chambered in the weapon:what: God was watching over the Infantry that day...It was 'only' a blank, I had the .50 pointed down onto the floor [we were inside] and the only damage was to the linolium floor and to my now humbled ego. I did have the PFC running laps around the barraks as a reminder to always 'clear' a weapon prior to dissasembly.:D We had a bitch of a time covering up the large burn mark on the floor as well as the brass slivers that were imbedded into the floor!

Professor Gun
January 26, 2008, 02:33 PM
I have had three in my shooting life. One because of a defective gun safety (round chambered, took off the safety, BANG!), one due to defective ammo (high primer, closed the slide, BANG!), one because of my stupidity. All occurred with the muzzle in a safe direction so I was only embarassed.

Now, my stupid ND: I was working with my older son when he was 12, he was practicing with his .270 bolt action rifle at the range. I had some ammo that I hadn't sized optimally that was tight fitting in this gun and required a little force on the bolt to close. My son was reluctant to force it (he was the smartest one on the range that day), so I closed the bolt for him while the gun was pointed down range. Just as the bolt went home my finger slipped into the trigger guard because of the sudden movement and BANG! :banghead: I proceeded to tell my two sons how stupid it was of me to do that and we put away the rest of that box of ammo.

Ironically the night before I had told the hunter safety class that I was teaching (I am lead instructor of a hunter safety teaching group here) that I had two AD in my life and because the muzzle was in a safe direction when they happened, no one got hurt. At our next class I told them about my mishap and used it as a teaching opportunity to get across the point that no matter how experienced you are with firearms, you can still do stupid things and so: (1) always guard against your own stupidity, and (2) always keep the muzzle in a safe direction just in case you fail with item #1.

Z71
January 26, 2008, 03:03 PM
OOPS! Forgot about one! Definately a ND!

Had obtained a Marlin 60 in a trade deal. Took it out to try the thing. Gun was incredibly dirty, needed cleaned something terrible.

Anyhow, loaded up and fired a few shots and had a jam. The .22 cartridge was stuck partway into the chamber and refused to go further. I pulled the bolt back and let it slam against the round to seat it. No good so tried again, and BOOM!! Cartridge fired half in and half out of the chamber!

Shredded the .22 case, and lodged the bullet partway down the barrel!

Yet again, I was fortunate to have the muzzle pointed safely away from anything, although the bullet didn't leave the gun. I could feel scrap brass and powder bounce off my face and glasses!

Nothing but shear stupidity!

Grizzly Adams
January 26, 2008, 05:01 PM
Well, I knew I shouldn't have read this @#$# thread!

Happened today:

I have just helped my son move and he asked me to bring his guns home with me to keep for a while.

He has a 30.06 that he bought last year and when we sighted it in the scope on occasion had a tendency to bite him if he wasn't careful, so he wanted me to take a look at it.

When I took it out of the case the bolt was open. I also noticed that there was a little rust on the bolt handle.

Well like a dummy, I didn't even look into the magazine well. I just hit the bolt release, slide the bolt out, sprayed it with G96 and hit it with 0000 steel wool, wiped it down, reinserted the bolted, and since I don't like the leave the pressure on the firing pin spring, I pulled the trigger.

Thank God I did remember at least one safety rule: KEEP THE MUZZLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION!

Now my wife has a hole in the kitchen floor!:banghead:

fearless leader
January 26, 2008, 05:19 PM
Funny you should ask!

When I was 13 or 14, my Dad was teaching me how to shoot a handgun. I was no stranger to guns, I just hadn't had more than an hour of trigger time with a handgun.

He noticed I was flinching and closing both of my eyes at the crucial instant the gun went BANG. He suggested I load some empties in it and get some dry fire practice keeping BOTH eyes open when the hammer falls. The next day, I cleaned the gun and did the dry fire practice. It worked. :D

Secure in my newfound ability to keep my eyes open, I wiped down the Dan Wesson D-14 357 mag (which I still have). I wiped it down, took the empties out and replaced them with some 70's vintage Remington Luballoys.
I brought the revolver to eye level and gave it one last look-see for fingerprints that may rust into the finish. I found one on the top of the cylinder and under the top strap.
If I were smart, which I've never been accused of, I would have unloaded the gun, wiped it down again, and reloaded. That's not what I did though.

I decided to point the pistol skyward, in my bedroom, and turned the cylinder the same way I turned it all afternoon by pulling the trigger to turn it (please examine the line in red above) to reach the offending fingerprint.:uhoh:

Failing to realize the gun was HOT, I was quite surprised to find that the "click" I was listening for was replaced by BANG, only with authority! :what:

The Venitian blinds were wide and metal in those days, and I saw the slats disturbed, and thought I sent a round out of the top of my window into the roof, but I couldn't find the hole.:confused: I finally found a small hole near where the to sill met the ceiling joist.

The bullet penetrated about an inch and a half. It got quite exciting with the pain in my ears, and the noise that I found out was my mother pounding on the door to see if I was shot. She was screaming at the top of her lungs and I couldn't hear her! My ears rang and ached for about 4 hours. My left ear, being about 10 inches from the discharge was deaf, to nearly deaf for a coulpe of days.

Thank God I wasn't pointing it out where it would travel.:o

fearless leader
January 26, 2008, 05:21 PM
The server said there was an error.

jad0110
January 27, 2008, 04:20 PM
No ND's or ADs; I am considered by my family to essentailly be the safety nazi.

Same here. Whenever someone asks to see a particular gun, I first check to make sure it is unloaded. 2nd, I check to make sure it's unloaded. Third, I check to make sure it's unloaded. I may do this half a dozen times. Then I walk around the room holding the gun, action open (finger off trigger and muzzle pointing in safe direction) asking them to verify that it is empty :o. Yeah, they think I'm a bit paranoid, but my mother in particular tells me that she appreciates it.

I've never had an ND/AD, but witnessed one first hand. I was completing the target shooting portion of a concealed carry course when the ND occurred. I was standing at the far left of the line, second from the end. An older lady was standing to my left at the end of the line. The gun she was firing was a .22 semiautomatic, a Ruger Mark II I believe. Mere moments before the ND occurred, my instincts told me that something crappy was about to happen. When I looked to my left, I saw her holding the pistol in her left hand only, pointing directly at the ground in front of her feet. Her index finger was inside the trigger guard at this point and her grip on the pistol did not seem to be firm. A fraction of a second before the ND, the pistol appeared to slip from her grasp. When it did, the full weight of the gun fell towards her left index finger, which was inside the trigger guard. This momentum was apparently enough to compress the trigger. I cannot be 100% certain that she did not squeeze the trigger as the gun fell from her grasp as a reflex action. Regardless, the gun fired.

The first thing I did was look down at my feet, thinking to myself "boy, my wife hates guns as it is ... this is going to go over like a ton of bricks if I've been hit". Yeah, that's really what I was thinking. Then I heard her say, with noticeable anger in her voice, "Ugh, I shot myself in the foot!" Sure enough, there was a tiny .22" hole in her right shoe, with a small red stain expanding from the center.

Her right foot was not more than 20 - 30" away from my left foot. So that was a little close :uhoh:. Later, we learned from her that the embarassment she felt was many times worse than any physical pain that she felt. Actually, she said it didn't start to hurt until about 2 hours later. The bullet struck her foot in the webbing between the big toe and the one next to it. I heard from one individual that the bullet when clean through, another story that it didn't penetrate the bone.

Even if one of the four rules is violated, most of the time no one will get hurt. Not that I advocate be casual with them, far from it. But when multiple rules get violated, that's when bad stuff can happen.

hobgob
January 27, 2008, 04:29 PM
i was witness to a ND with a not so happy outcome. i was hangin out at a friends place, it was a big old house and 8 guys lived there at the time, crazy place. one of the guys there was showin off his new 20 gauge. i left the room for a bit to go talk to someone and as soon as i turnd to go back into the room with the shotgun i heard it go off. the guy had been drinkin (yup its stupid) and forgot to check his gun before he started showin it off, blew his friends big toe off. I went into the room and unloaded the shotgun( the guy put it down to help his friend who now had a bloody mess of a shoe and foot) then helped the guy out to the car so they could take him to the hospital. lots of things wrong with the situation, i know. but thats my end of the story. glad it wasnt me and glad the situation was not worse than it already was. there were a lot of people in the house so someone easily could have been offed.

george29
January 27, 2008, 05:07 PM
This is going to sound like BS but I swear it's true. I was at the time a young LEO and the only two guns in my home was my Beretta 1934 .380 9 CORTO and my S&W M-60. The Beretta was always kept in condition 3 - always!
At the time, I was renting a house with a history, a very active history that manifested itself in unnerving ways like swinging chandeliers, clocks going crazy, knocks from interior walls, footsteps and waking me up everynight at 2am. My only witnesses were my two dogs (long in doggy heaven) who growled and bared fangs at nothing I could see.
My one and only AD happened in this house.
It was a terrible thunderstorm outside, vicious winds howling so my house and everyone elses was closed up tight as a drum. My alarm clock rang at it's regular time and as usual I reached over to whack it shut (usually around 4:30am). This particular morning my whack is answered by a KaBoom!!! I am not awake yet but my ears are ringing and I am in shock as I finally realize that my weapon just discharged into the wall opposite my bed putting a lovely hole in the cement filled cinderblock.
I was cringingly waiting to hear the sirens when I realized the outside storm covered up the discharge noise. I lost my grin when I realized the gun could just have easily been pointed at me.
I never , ever, ever have carried a semi-auto pistol at anything other than condition 3, even today. What possessed me (or something else) to rack in a round in the middle of the night still has me wondering, but I have no doubt it was linked to whatever lurked in that house. I vacated at the end of the lease of course.

MudPuppy
January 27, 2008, 07:58 PM
No ghosts related to mine, I was at the non-haunted gun range and--with muzzle downrange--charged my AK and it fired upon entering (I hope) battery.

The hammer retaining pin had backed out, so the hammer didn't engage the sear and followed the bolt forward. Scary, but sort of relieved when I saw what had happened and proper application of the shepherd's hook made it all better. My brother still wouldn't shoot it after that. And he kept an eye on me till we left the range.

orvpark
July 9, 2008, 04:43 AM
[QUOTE] I was at a range firing an old Iver Johnson revolver. I thought it was empty ... for reasons I will never figure out, I pulled the trigger, and it fired one more round. I was still pointing it down range, so no harm ... no foul.
Now ... how is that embarrasing???????

It was only a 5 shot revolver .......
__________________/QUOTE]

I did the same...............with the same gun :banghead:

Also when I was about 10, I was deer hunting sitting up against a tree. At the time I saw hunting as a good time to catch a nap. I heard something coming my way and cocked the trigger of the old single shot and sat back with the gun across my lap and my finger on the trigger guard. I wait and wait with the deer never getting close enough for a shot......................An hour or so later I doze off, only to wake up to a smoking barrel. I forgot to let the hammer down!:rolleyes:

My pop shows up about 10 min later excited I may have shot something................being scared I'd be in trouble I lied and we looked for blood for half an hour:uhoh:;)

Mark K. C.
July 9, 2008, 05:04 AM
Years ago I was sighting in a 30.06 and I had a spotting scope right next to me set up on the target. I put three shots down range and chambered another round then I leaned over to peek through the scope. Guess where my finger was? Yep- on the trigger. This went unnoticed by the few other people at the range but it was a lesson that I will never forget. The gun was on sandbags and never moved, but still in all....well you get the point.

marksman13
July 9, 2008, 05:18 AM
My pop shows up about 10 min later excited I may have shot something................being scared I'd be in trouble I lied and we looked for blood for half an hour

Hahahahahahahahahahaha......I'm still in the floor, because I did the exact same thing when I was about 11 years old. I think my dad was more upset that I had "missed" then he would have been about an ND.

I won't tell any thing else on myself, but the worst ND I have ever seen occured when I was in Iraq. Some knucklehead from 2/11 ACR managed to accidently/negligently fire the main gun of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle inside the F.O.B. That was a sight.

U.S.SFC_RET
July 9, 2008, 06:05 AM
My brothers and I were standing in a circle in '84 when I was holding a model 94 30-30 pointed in the middle and down in the dirt. I was pulling back the hammer and sqeezing the trigger while catching the hammer and repeating when the gun went off. Boom in the middle of that circle.
I never had a negligent discharge again. It can happen but that lesson taught me. I was a fool and fools mixed up with a gun can cause disastrous results.
Uncle killed himself with an "empty" 38 special in the neck. Showing his wife that it was unloaded after his wife asked him to not let his son play with that gun.
In law killed himself by trying to tease his twin brother who was talking on the phone. He cycled the 45, stood that round on the table and then ejected the magazine and thought the gun was unloaded. Tapped his brother on the shoulder and while his brother turned put that gun to his head and shot himself.
Treat every gun as if it is loaded

abrink
July 9, 2008, 12:00 PM
Well...It wasn't really my fault but here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=361965)

GlowinPontiac
July 9, 2008, 01:58 PM
Had one when i was out hunting with my father at age 14. I was carrying my mossberg 20ga with the safety on and tripped over a fallen branch. i let go of the gun and used my hands to brace my fall and when the gun hit the ground it fired. luckily my father was slightly ahead and off to my right and the shot missed him by about 10 feet. not sure why it discharged as nothing hit the trigger and the safety was on. maybe it landed on a rock and the impact was enough to jar something loose inside.

LiquidTension
July 9, 2008, 02:11 PM
I've never had one. My grandfather on the other hand did have one with a .22 on the porch of the lake house. Went through the front door, through the interior wall, ricocheted off another wall and embedded in a wooden bed post.

Tom Servo
July 9, 2008, 02:25 PM
AD: Accidental discharge. Those happen through some sort of mechanical failure outside our control. I had one of those with a CZ-52 a few years back. When the slide slammed home on a chambered round, it went off. Fortunately, it just kicked up some dirt and gave me a good scare.

ND: Negligent Discharge. I've only had one, and it was minor. I'd been shooting revolvers exclusively, and a student asked me to shoot his 1911. My hands had forgotten about the short reset, and I pulled an inadvertent double-tap.

Beyond that, I've been incredibly fortunate. I know that everyone should expect to have one, and that keeps me on my toes. I've seen and heard of too many from experienced, safe shooters to think I'll always be immune.

jrfoxx
July 9, 2008, 02:58 PM
never had one, and am VERY anal and diligent to do all I can to try to ensure I never do.I REALLY hope that is one goal I accomplish, but I am all to aware that we are all human, and sometimes humans get distracted, get lazy, complacent, stupid, or just plain slip up for a split second at the wrong time, and sometimes that tiny slip for a split second can really have a bad result.

I'm not excusing or justifying ND's, or saying they are inevitable or not preventable, just pointing out how easy it can be to have one momentary slip at the wrong time, in spite of the best of knowledge, training, and intentions.

Kudos to all those that had one, and owned up to the mistake like a man, and posted here to help us all out with showing what can happen, how, and learning things me may not have thought of to help prevent them.

ETA: unless you count a wierd double tap/bump fire kinda thing at the range with a 1911. That did happen to me once, and I'm still not sure just how I did it, but nothing was found wrong with the gun, and I have not ever had ANY issues with that same gun in 5 years since, (or had anything like it happen with any other gun either)so it had to be me. It was really crazy, and surprised the heck out of me. Sure would like to know exactly what I did (or what combination of things) so I can make sure it doesnt happen again. upside is that I was at a range, firing at a target, and it happend so fast and unexpectedly, and while I was concentrating on aiming my shot, that both rounds hit the target only a couple inches apart, so as far as ND's go, thats pretty optimal from a safety standpoint, but still really scared and bugged me, since if things had been different when it happened, the results may not have been quite as much of a non-event

I guess that really would count, as I did fire a round I didnt intend to, so there goes my "no ND" record I guess....
Still, If your gonna have one to "get it out of your system", thats one of the best ways to do it!:D

LaVere
July 9, 2008, 04:35 PM
I had a small pocket 25 auto I don't recall the maker. but the barrel tipped up.
Anyway while in a friends car by myself I wanted to unload and clear to take the gun indoors. I removed the magazine, racked the slide to remove the one in the tube. Replaced the loaded magazine, released the slide. I then pointed at the flood board. Wait not a good idea and pointed it out through the open door at the ground. pulled the trigger Blammmmm Oh! Damn the gun has a voice.

No one even close to hurt and no one even looked my way, there was not a hole in the floor board. And last but not least. That took place 45 years ago I have never forgot that lesson and remember it every time I handle a hand gun.
double check then check again.
Never ever happened again.

makarovnik
July 9, 2008, 08:57 PM
Ive been carrying daily for over 10 years and it's never happened. Lucky, I don't think so.

Fast_Ed
July 9, 2008, 10:05 PM
Got 2.

1. Deer hunting with friends in shotgun zone. Using Savage 720, kinda like a Browning A-5. Put shell in chamber and pushed bolt release button. Bolt moves forward and gun fires. Slug puts hole in road I am standing on as it was pointed down. Turns out firing pin was broken and jammed in hole. When it went forward it hit the primer on the shell and fired it. Don't know when firing pin broke. This is a real case of mechanical failure and I would not consider it an AD or a ND.

2. Deer hunting with friends. Coming off a drive in the worst, thick, impenetrable junk I ever walked through. Carrying a Rem 700 ADL. Unloading gun to case up before getting in the cars. Gun pointed out into the hinterlands. Push safety forward to unlock bolt. Gun fires. No idea why. Trigger was still stock and had not been "fooled" with. Could not and have not been able to duplicate in subsequent 15 years of trying with that gun. Could have been Rem safety problem, my finger on the trigger, or weeds or branches stuck in trigger. Couldn't figure it out then and still have no idea why. Don't know whether to classify as AD or ND or mechanical problem.

That's it for me... so far.

Fast Ed

boredelmo
July 9, 2008, 10:33 PM
GlowinPontiac, I have heard that shotguns are not drop safe.

45Guy
July 9, 2008, 10:40 PM
Closest thing I've had to either was shooting my Grandpa's single action
.44 for the first time.

He didn't tell me it had a veeerryy light trigger. I had it rested against a 2x4 aiming at the 25yd target. Had cocked the hammer, and was bringing my finger onto the trigger when it went off! My finger hurt for most of the day from the recoil, as it went off when my finger was halfway up the trigger.

On the upside, I hit the edge of the
9-ring. That's my first and last shot to date with a .44 magnum.

z9m9z
September 13, 2008, 04:51 AM
long ago and far away, i had 2 rather old pistols. each had a safety, a lever on the left side that I could push up for on or down for off. in separate instances long time apart, with the gun cocked, i decided to take the safety off. In the first incident, at first i thought about aiming in an unsafe direction, but decided it was stupid to take a chance even though all I was doing was taking the safety off. so instead of the unsafe direction, i pointed the pistol at the upper corner of the room i was in and pushed the safety off ... ... the BLAM that immediately occurred scared the absolute s**t out of me, as did the hole high in the wall ... i was deeply shaken that had i disobeyed the safety rules i'd been taught, someone would surely have been hurt or killed. Since then I take no chances whatsoever. Even so, after it happened again with a different pistol, I tend not to trust "safety"s.

mike101
September 13, 2008, 05:44 AM
Does ND stand for 'never did', because I never did. Knock on wood. It must be that pesky Rule #1. :)

brigadier
September 13, 2008, 06:04 AM
I'll spare the details but I have had a couple. No injuries.

Aaryq
September 13, 2008, 12:10 PM
I was shooting with my friend on his farm with our .22 single shots. I had a J.C. Higgins Model 103. I don't know if it's an ND or an AD because I don't know anyone else who owns a 103. Anyway, I had taken my ear plugs out and was chewing the fat with him while keeping my rifle pointed down range. Thinking I had shot already, lifted the bolt and the hammer fell on a live round. It hit the target and nothing else, but golly gee willickers, how about a scary moment...and an embrassing one since I was giving my friend a few pointers on gun handling safety.

OK AQ

Zedo
September 13, 2008, 12:20 PM
You people scare me --

Quezzmo
September 13, 2008, 07:18 PM
My son and I were at the rifle range. Next to us came another father and son pair. They laid their rifle on the bench and were waiting for the range master to call a cease fire so they could post their targets. I was standing back watching my boy shoot when I saw the other boy, 16 or 17 years old, reach for the rifle on the bench to pick it up. He gripped it through the trigger guard and the gun went off. It was still in it's unzipped case so when it went off cotton stuffing flew every where. The only saving grace was that it was still pointed own range.

crotalus01
September 13, 2008, 09:16 PM
When I was 13 I had an old bolt action 22lr rifle that was given to me by my grandfather (it was his when he was a teen so it was OLD). I had just finished cleaning and oiling it and decided to chamber a round to make sure the action was smooth (STUPID). It chambered just fine, but the bolt stuck when I went to eject it. Being young and stupid, I pointed the barrel at the ceiling of my grandparents house, placed my left hand right at the end of the barrel, my right hand on the bolt and smacked the butt of the rifle on the floor in an attempt to force the bolt open and BLAM...got some powder burns on my left hand and the hole is still in my grandparents ceiling to this day. Thankfully noone else was home at the time. My finger was most definitely not on the trigger, and the bolt did come open, ejecting the spent round. Needless to say I never did that again, and it gave me a healthy respect for guns as I could have easily shot myself through the hand or worse in the face. My ears rang for quite a while, and it really scared the living crap out of me.

Loosedhorse
September 13, 2008, 09:43 PM
I also have had two ADs (if I was military, I'd call them NDs--they were my fault alone). First, was clearing a Glock in preparation for cleaning it for the first time, and picked that moment to get involved in a conversation (wife upstairs, me in the basement). As I tried to strip the gun, which requires pulling the trigger... :what: Had muzzle pointed safely, so 10 fingers, 10 toes, no extra holes.

Worst thing was I learned NOTHING from it. I misinterpreted a teaching I'd gotten about the fact that, if you've got a one chance in a million of an AD, but you handle the gun a million times, well, there's about a 63% chance you're going to have had an AD. So, I shrugged and said, "What the heck, I was due. Now I've had my AD, and it's over."

Until the second one. Took a 1911 out of storage (while, again, gabbing with someone) and noticed that while the mag was out--huh! look at this--the hammer was cocked. Why'd I store it that way?

So, I continue to talk and decide to lower the hammer the old fashioned way. :what: Again, no one hurt thanks to muzzle safety.

This one CHANGED MY LIFE. I now live by 3 basic gun safety rules, maybe slightly different than you've heard about before.

1. Always keep the muzzle of a gun pointed in a safe direction (Has saved me twice when I let myself down).

2. If you're handling a gun, don't think of anything else except that gun.

3. Guns don't shoot themselves, BUT THEY SURE AS HECK LOAD THEMSELVES.

I know that rule 3 is not "true." But if you act as if it is true, you will save yourself trouble.

(By the way, if you're strapping on your duty or carry piece, please keep in mind rule 3's inverse: GUNS CAN UNLOAD THEMSELVES. So check the gun's status, safely, before you depend on it.)

"And I only am escaped alone to tell thee"--Job 1:15

Be safe.

bogie
September 14, 2008, 12:04 AM
1) We're not paranoid. We're safety conscious.

2) Why are we consolidating stories of stupidity in one place so that the nice interns on Brady's staff can download them and still make it to happy hour?

WoofersInc
September 14, 2008, 12:12 AM
I've had one. Partly mechanical failure but also a failure on my part. I was finishing up shooting for the day and was putting stuff away. I pulled the magazine out of my Bushmaster AR Pistol and then proceeded to rack the bolt a couple of times. I then pulled the trigger to drop the hammer and BANG. I didn't actually look in the chamber first. Since I was cleaning up and didn't expect this I had no ears on and had ringing in my ears for the next few hours. Once I got home and tore the gun down I found that the extractor was broken which explained why racking it didn't pull the round out of the chamber. Fortunately there was no damage to anything due to pointing it in a safe direction but I definitely learned from this. Now along with checking visually I feel in the ejection port also.
On a side note I wound up selling the Bushmaster just yesterday. The thing just was never a reliable gun.

Sommerled
September 14, 2008, 01:53 AM
Was on the wrong end of one..

Quail hunting in Nebraska with my dad and uncle(dad's brother in law) when I was 12 yrs old. We were working a deep ravine with two dogs down in the ravine. I was on one side and my dad and uncle who were very good friends walked the other side. They told me to stay parallel to them to be safe as we walked along the edges of the ravine. The dogs kicked up a covie of birds that quikely flew away ahead of us so no shots were fired. Then the flock turned around and flew back into the ravine towards us and between us. I looked across the ravine and my uncle had his gun on the birds and he was swinging it towards me! The birds were at eye level between us. The little voice in my head told me to hit the deck and I did. Not a millisecond too soon as I distinctly remember the sound of pellets ripping through the foliage above me before I heard the gun report. My uncle is an orthopedic surgeon and my dad is also a doctor but also was a state champion wrestler. I thought dad was going to kill him after my uncle accused me of being in the wrong place. I've only seen that uncle twice since then.

This happened 36 years ago.

Sommerled

If you enjoyed reading about "Okay, it's time to fess up on YOUR ND or AD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!