Socom 16 Input Good Bad ?

PDA

jdomin
January 24, 2008, 08:02 AM
Looking At A Socom 16 With The Navy Seal Metal Collapsable Stock Any Input Would Be Appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Socom 16 Input Good Bad ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
skinewmexico
January 24, 2008, 10:00 AM
I see a lot of them come back to the gun shop where I am. If I got an M1A variant, I'd want one with a barrel that would let me really make the 308 perform.

pgeleven
January 24, 2008, 11:08 AM
ive got a SOCOM II and in retrospect, its not a bad gun. however, for the same amount of money you can get a badass match grade M1A that can outperform its shorter barrelled brother. go for the distance, unless you plan on breaching houses and conducting your own raids with a 308 then go for the SOCOM

Mot45acp
January 24, 2008, 04:24 PM
With 5 fugitives loose in my neck of the piney woods. My SOCOM 16 is leaned up against the desk while the full size M1A, AR's, SKS's are pulling safe duty.

I am good to 300 yards (the furthest available to shoot) and that is twice the distance of the longest shot here unless firing down HWY 96 or RR tracks.

My only hope is to find a plane jane synthetic pistol grip stock for it without the folding this or railed that.

jdomin
January 24, 2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the input but I'm sold on the short version . Any feeding problems in the socom 16 1 ?I'm just trying to justify the $700 for the metal collapsable stock.
jd

Mot45acp
January 24, 2008, 04:42 PM
No problems even with 30 round mags that my Norinco M1A wont feed. Mine is topped with an EOTech.

I have a hard time with the $700 stock as well.

I bought it from a fellow member here and havent regretted it.. The only thing I dont like is the "crinkle paint" finish on the stock. It rubs off where the charging handle hits it. And you realize that its just paint. But we are talking a spot that is smaller than my pinky finger nail that is covered when the bolt is forward.

crazed_ss
January 24, 2008, 04:56 PM
ive got a SOCOM II and in retrospect, its not a bad gun. however, for the same amount of money you can get a badass match grade M1A that can outperform its shorter barrelled brother

Yup.. when I got my M1A I was debating against a SOCOM and a full-size rifle. I ended up going with a Full-size "loaded" model with SS bbl. You get more stuff like NM bbl, trigger, etc plus I like the GI sights better than the big SOCOM sights.

pgeleven
January 24, 2008, 10:01 PM
also, 4 rails REALLY isnt necessary unless they make a rail mounted beer bottle holder. its a pain in the ass to make your support hand comfortable with the added weight and rails digging in. its really tacti-cool to pop a laser on there with a flashlight and a bipod and a flamethrower and a few bucket seats once CAA makes them... but its pricey, and for a civilian rifle, its kinda rediculous. screw the rails, get a full size SS NM, and use your flashlight/laser/bipod/rail-mounted-mailbox money for a nice Leupold long range scope

just waiting for the rail mounted Ipod..... DON'T think it won't happen either...

If you enjoyed reading about "Socom 16 Input Good Bad ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!