Do you regret selling your first gun?

PDA

Keegan
January 24, 2008, 10:32 AM
I'm considering selling mine to finance the purchase of a new one, but I keep thinking I'm going to wish I'd kept it and just paid for the new one with other funds. So for those that have, do you miss it? Do you lie awake at night longing for the comforting polymer/wood/steel grip of your first love?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you regret selling your first gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rb8941
January 24, 2008, 10:37 AM
Do I regret selling my first gun? Nope. Never sold it.

Guitargod1985
January 24, 2008, 10:37 AM
not at all. It was a pos keltec p11. The ejector broke, followed shortly thereafter by the extractor, and then I couldn't get the trigger to reset. At the time I was pretty ignorant about firearms. Since then I have only purchased quality guns. I ended up selling the dang thing for $50.

M2 Carbine
January 24, 2008, 10:39 AM
Do you regret selling your first gun?

Yes, and many guns after that one.

Hot brass
January 24, 2008, 10:39 AM
Yes I do, a Dan Wesson 357 mag, 8" vented heavy bbl. Accurate gun, man I miss it.

I miss the Contender and the XP100, but not the Red Hawk.

Agent 006 &7/8
January 24, 2008, 10:46 AM
40 years later. Still have it, still shoot it.

Packman
January 24, 2008, 10:46 AM
Nope.

Still have it, always will, until my son or grandson gets it.

possum
January 24, 2008, 10:47 AM
i regret selling everygun that i have sold.

saltpepperPA
January 24, 2008, 10:54 AM
After selling it, I thought I would be dissapointed later on that I didn't have it... but unless it was a gift or inherited, I've found that (as long as you buy a BETTER gun) I never regret it.

silverlance
January 24, 2008, 10:58 AM
I didnt sell it.
It got stolen during a break in burglary =(
I had just moved and didn't have a safe as a priority.

Learn from my mistake.

Ian
January 24, 2008, 11:07 AM
Nope...my first gun was a broken .22 rifle. I replaced it with a much better Marlin 60, which I later replaced with a lovely CZ 452.

Come to think of it, I really don't regret selling any of the guns I've sold.

Darthbauer
January 24, 2008, 11:17 AM
Hell no I dont. I hated that damn gun. Only gun that I regret selling is my USP. I miss that thing.

Kingcreek
January 24, 2008, 12:19 PM
I still have it. I recieved it 40+ years ago from my father and it had been given to him by his father many years before that.
single shot H&R 410g and still in good condition
worth about $75 to most of the world, priceless to me.

kymarkh
January 24, 2008, 12:34 PM
Not at all. As I've grown older my taste in many things has changed - firearms being one of them. Some that I have owned have been keepers, and some I have owned really needed to go. I still have every one of the keepers.

Now, my first car? That's a different story. I really wish I still had that Pontiac!

beaucoup ammo
January 24, 2008, 12:45 PM
Still have the receipt from February 14th, 1987. S&W .357/ "K" frame/ Model 65-3/SS. As crisp and reliable today as Valentines Day 21 years ago!

That's one I'll Never sell!

Dr. Dickie
January 24, 2008, 12:52 PM
Wow, talk about timing, I just (two minutes ago) got a call from my FFL guy saying that he sold the first pistol I ever bought.
I was never going to use it, as I did not like it one bit.
No regrets, but this is the (second) time I ever sold a gun.
I kinda do regret the first one, even though I was never going to use it either.

Cougfan2
January 24, 2008, 12:53 PM
Yes, it was an old Savage .22lr semi auto that I sold to fund the purchase of a Ruger 10/22 that I still have. Don't regret purchasing the 10/22, but wish I had been able to keep the Savage as it was the first gun my Dad gave me and I shot my first squirrel with it the first time I went hunting with my Dad and my brother.

sixgunner455
January 24, 2008, 12:55 PM
Nope, still in the safe till one of the kids inherits it.

TCB in TN
January 24, 2008, 02:31 PM
I regret selling ANY gun!

winchester243
January 24, 2008, 02:50 PM
I've only sold one of my guns and I regret it even though I bought a nicer replacement for it several years ago. It was a Ruger Mark II bull barrel (blued). I now have a stainless slabside Mark II.

Keegan
January 24, 2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks for your input. I think what I'm going to do is hang on to it for a while and see if I ever have the urge to shoot it. In the meantime, I've decided that I'm finally going to take the blue off of the slide- something I've wanted to do for a long time but didn't want to risk any harm to my only 9mm. I'll post pics of the before and after in Autoloaders if anybody wants to see-the difference is amazing.

Keegan
January 24, 2008, 03:02 PM
double post

tnieto2004
January 24, 2008, 03:02 PM
Nope .. It wasn't my first gun but it was my first gun that I sold.. I JUST sold a mossberg maverick 88 shotgun to a buddy who moved into a rough part of town .. I have shot with him many times and he was ready for his first gun ..

Fozzy_Bear
January 24, 2008, 04:57 PM
Yes I do, a Dan Wesson 357 mag, 8" vented heavy bbl. Accurate gun, man I miss it.

I sold a DW357 once... It was the only gun I ever regretted selling. so much so that I went out an bought another one...

I've sold a few guns - not the first gun I ever got, but the first one I sold... that's what you ment, right.

Havegunjoe
January 24, 2008, 05:09 PM
Yes! Model 19 S&W .357 Magnum. I have kicked myself plenty since selling years ago.

30-06 lover
January 24, 2008, 07:40 PM
I can never remember selling any gun and not regretting it later.

rickomatic
January 24, 2008, 07:44 PM
I'll let you know when I do. :rolleyes:

jeepmor
January 24, 2008, 07:46 PM
If I ever sell it, I'll let you know. As it stands now, with this 6 week old baby boy in my arms as I type, I look forward to passing it down to him someday.

However, it won't be his first, for he'll have a chipmunk 22 and youth shotgun before he grows into my first gun, which is a 22 BTW.

Scratchy
January 24, 2008, 07:51 PM
I sold the first new in box gun I ever had Taurus Tracker .357mag 4 inch 7-shot.
I am still mad at myself. Bought it for $350 now I can't find one for less than $450!

Legionnaire
January 24, 2008, 07:54 PM
I have sold many guns without regret. Others I do regret. But I haven't sold my first gun, and don't plan on doing so.

CWL
January 24, 2008, 08:36 PM
Yup. First Gen G17. Bought in mid 1980's. Strange but since I don't even care for Glocks nowadays.

I've regretted every gun I ever sold, from the Ruger MII, to the HK MP5.

Funny, I've given a few guns away, but I feel pretty good about those.

ctdonath
January 24, 2008, 11:31 PM
Haven't yet, but have often considered it. Only real reason I keep it is it's a NY-legal AR15, and I visit NY a few times a year. While I certainly appreciate the "it's my first gun" sentiment, and understand the regret some have from selling theirs, I'm far more enamored of the late-model version next to it, and would rather use its value to get something nicer (like a .457WWM Co-Pilot).

Sentimental value is understood ... but I'd rather upgrade.

BigBadJohn
January 24, 2008, 11:47 PM
Absolutely

hankdatank1362
January 25, 2008, 12:03 AM
I've never SOLD a gun. i returned my first gun, a Firestorm 1911, becasue it fell apart in my hands while shooting. I traded it in on a Daewoo DH-40, which would double feed and FTE at least once a mag, no matter what. Traded that in for a Taurus PT 24/7 9mm. Over 5k rounds, never once has it so much as hiccupped. Only buy reliable guns since then, including my newest, a SIG P226R TT .40 S&W.

S&WKING
January 25, 2008, 12:05 AM
my first was a bolt action savage 22 i traded it in along with my first pistol to get a new fancy 22 that i dont want 2 shoot it was a mistake and now im gettin rid of my new one

Sgt.Dusk
January 25, 2008, 12:28 AM
YES!
It was CZ 122sport.......
I actually had a dream about it couple nights ago.
I was dreaming of sippin beer and cleaning the gun.
It was a nice gun.....(sigh)

10-Ring
January 25, 2008, 08:18 AM
Nope....I sold off a POS and it's probably POS today! :D

PakWaan
January 25, 2008, 09:02 AM
My first gun as a S&W 686 .357, and I can't count the number of times I've wished I still had it.......

chrlefxtrt
February 8, 2008, 04:05 PM
My first gun I still have. The first [hand]gun I bought? No I don't regret selling it. It was a Hi-Point. Don't know what I was thinking. Impulse purchase I guess.

Pa.Bill
February 8, 2008, 04:13 PM
S&W Combat 19/.357 6"bl ...............have since 1978.
Infact, never sold any firearm, I just add to them.

~Best to all~

Chuhhuniban
February 8, 2008, 04:14 PM
It's one of the yes-and-no answers. My first gun was an old Winchester .22 given to me by my father, he helped me sell it a few years later to get a better one which I kept (he bought the first one for a few buck from a friend, no sentimental attachment there). My first handgun (S&W .38 Special with a 4" barrel, c. 1940) was also given to me by my father and I traded that one all by myself for a reissued Colt Single Action Army in the 1950s. The only reason I now regret that one was that the gun had been his, but he didn't see any problem with trading it and he and I shot the SAA together.

FiREhAwk
February 8, 2008, 05:45 PM
I didnt sell my first gun but I did sell my first hunting rifle after my father gave me one of his, which I badly wanted. They were of the same caliber and I sold it to a cousin, but didnt realize the sentimental value untill the next hunting season. That is the only gun I ever sold and hope I dont need to sell another one but times are getting hard, and I find myself browsing the local gun shops, shows and internet looking a new purchase.

wheelgunslinger
February 8, 2008, 05:49 PM
Yep. I regret it.
I sold my first gun, a 22 rifle, to this Christian whack job who is now in the desert with it and a bunch of other guns holed up waiting on Jesus to return, or whatever the latest kool-aid BS is.
I offered him 3 times the value and he turned me down.
Wish I had it back. It'll probably be liberated by the ATF and destroyed when they have to invade the compound. :banghead:

rugerman07
February 8, 2008, 05:50 PM
Not my first gun, it was a piece of junk F.I.E. single shot 12 gauge. But I have sold guns I later regretted.

WayneConrad
February 8, 2008, 05:51 PM
No regrets at all. It never fit my hand quite right, so I wasn't a great shot with it. I always wanted to sell it. I was overjoyed to learn that a relative wanted to buy it. It was a happy day when I sold it to him for what I think (and I hope he also considers) is a smoking good price. It's a nice pistol, and I'm glad to see it in good hands.

Zundfolge
February 8, 2008, 05:56 PM
Never sold my first gun, but almost every gun I have sold I've regretted selling.

fearless leader
February 8, 2008, 06:41 PM
I sold a 1911 in '87 to get legal funds, after sinking $750 into inprovements for it.:(
I had an Astra Terminator, essentially an N frame Snubby, beautifully blue in 45 LC, and I miss it terribly. Also to pay for a lawyer.

I sold a Winchester Mod. 70 in 7mag that would put 3 rounds inside the space of 1/2 a dime to get money to see my dying father.

I sold a Colt Commander SS XSE, the most accurate 1911 I've ever shot during Hurricane Ivan. Sold for $600 because I was short on funds, and later offered the man $800 because I missed it, and he declined.

Once I sold a Smith 686 that was wonderfully accurate for a Ruger Super Black Hawk that wasn't. In fact, I regret every S&W and Colt I have ever sold.

I sold a Para trooper Simonov to buy a kid a bicycle for Chrismas, who later tried to kill me. That was fun. Now that rifle is worth like $600 to $800.

I sold a beautiful, accurate, Desert Eagle with the light weight frame in Hard Chrome and a 45 compensated Wittness by Tanfoglio to buy an HK P-7 M13 and regretted it, but all 3 were like carrying an ANVIL!

I sold the P-7 to get a Stainless HK USP 40 that would put get 12 inch groups at 15 yards. I sold it quick! I lost money, otherwise, good riddance!

I had Sig 226 that I traded for a trendy Glock 17 that turned out to be a jam-a-matic. I deeply regret that. The accuracy of a Glock doesn't even APPROACH the accuracy of a Sig. The Sig was Bet Your Life reliable too.:banghead:

My Aetna dental insurance denied $1500 worth of claims, after they said they would pay them! Fortunately, my dentist is a trading man. It cost me a pristine Garand and a Colt Cobra.:rolleyes: I never even got to shoot the Garand. That I regret.

I traded a Colt Diamond Back .22 6" for a Shotgun I can hardly give away.

Now I'm probably going to have to sell my Camo Target rifle and I know I'll kick myself in the A** later.:(

You get the idea?

fearless leader
February 8, 2008, 06:44 PM
Quote: I offered him 3 times the value and he turned me down.

I know what you mean Wheelgunslinger. I hate when you make a more than reasonable offer out of, I guess "seller's remorse" and they turn you down flat.

Threeband
February 8, 2008, 07:14 PM
My first gun, a family heirloom, was stolen. I very much regret that.

My second gun I stupidly sold. I still kick myself for that.

My third gun I still have, and will NEVER part with it.

My fourth gun, a POS shotgun, I gave to a friend. No regrets.

Two other guns I sold, and I very much regret that.

CajunBass
February 8, 2008, 08:05 PM
I never sold my first one, but I did the first one I ever bought myself. Yes, I regret it.

Snapping Twig
February 8, 2008, 08:26 PM
By first gun, can we include our first pellet rifle? If so, yes, I miss my Sheridan.

DENALI
February 8, 2008, 08:35 PM
:banghead: Keegan, I regret letting go of every gun that I've liked! I've let many, many go over the years and the ones that I sold or traded for this and that, that I really loved have in there way come to haunt me. One that really burns was my S&W 66-3(Treasury model)that I traded for a fishing boat.
Take my advice, keep the ones you know you're gonna miss as in many cases their not as replaceable as you may think at the time. Honestly, in this day and age, if you're working a regular paying job, there's no reason you can't suck it up and buy stuff on lay-away over time. If I could do it over, I'd have hung onto almost everything I let go. You know that would be a great thread by itself, us older members listing all the hardware we've parted company with over the years, a lot of you youger folks would be shocked at whats slipped through some of our hands...:banghead:

Bellevance
February 8, 2008, 08:39 PM
You bet I regret it. In 1972, I bought a real nice S&W M 48 with an 8 3/8" barrel that I let go a year later so I could afford an Italian 10-speed bicycle in order to pursue my infatuation with a beautiful redheaded cyclist. She's long gone, of course. So's the Atala 10-speed. Wish I still had the 48. ;)

welldoya
February 8, 2008, 08:46 PM
Yep, it was a High Standard Marshall .22 revolver. BUT, I used the money to buy an S&W Model 17 (in 1975) which I still have so I guess if I hadn't sold it, I wouldn't have the Smith.
I also regret selling the Colt Commander LW, the Steyr GB, three Colt AR-15s, the S&W 66 snub, the S&W 66 6", two S&W 36s , etc. etc.

Richmond
February 8, 2008, 10:26 PM
The first gun I bought myself was a Ruger 10-22 during college, 1973 or 74. It is still in gun locker, still my "go to" .22 rifle.

In 1976 I bought a Ruger Standard .22 semi auto pistol. Still upstairs in the gin locker with a couple of other Ruger .22 pistols. It was my practice pistol for many years, I still shoot it although I have a stainless Mark II I had setup for IMSA competition that I tend to shoot the most for .22.

I would regret having sold either of these, and they have real sentimental value. I have sold and traded other guns over the years, although I tend to be of the buy em and keep em camp.

ilcylic
February 8, 2008, 11:03 PM
Still have it. Lives beside my wife's side of the bed, keeping her safe whenever I'm not around to.

Old Dog
February 9, 2008, 02:41 AM
I suspect most of us who've sold/traded guns regret most of those we've sold or traded ... Even when I got a great price, or a great gun in trade, I've missed just about every gun I've given up. I still have my first, but traded off my second, third, fourth ... plain stupid. Miss 'em all.

Deanimator
February 9, 2008, 12:51 PM
Not really. It was a Commission 88 cut down to short rifle length, probably by the Turkish Forestry Service. It was fun as a first gun, but nothing special and as I subsequently learned, kind of dangerous with the ammunition available. The initial story was that most of these Commission 88s had been rebarreled to .323 "S" configuration like WWI and later generation '98s. Turns out that wasn't true. By and large, they'd just been given more freebore so that the .323 bullet wasn't jammed into the .318 bore QUITE as fast. They were very accurate guns though, often more accurate than Kar98ks made fifty years later.

I haven't got a place to shoot the long guns I have now, so it (and the Commission 88 I have now) would just sit in the safe with the rest of my long guns.

Russ
February 9, 2008, 01:06 PM
My first gun was a present from my father when I was 11 years old. It is an Remington single shot 22. He didn't want me to get a pump or a semi-auto because he thought the time and effort to load a single shot weapon would make me a better shooter. I think it did. I hardly ever shoot the thing anymore but I would never sell it due to the sentimental value it has to me. I don't think I could get another one that is in shape mine is in due to the fact that it was purchased in 1966.

To me, if you don't have such a sentimental attachment to your first gun, then by all means sell it and upgrade. New guns are always nice to have. Everytime I get one I tell my wife that this will be the last one, "I Promise". I have broken that promise many times now. Just can't help myself!

Good luck

MT GUNNY
February 9, 2008, 01:40 PM
dont do it you hate yourself later
just save up and get it later or spend the $ now

22-rimfire
February 9, 2008, 01:43 PM
I still own my first rifle. I sold my second rilfe as I wasn't shooting it and a friend of my Dad's really wanted it. In hindsight, I wish I would have kept that 243 since not shooting a gun is no big thing to me anymore.

My first handgun was sold after owning it for 5-6 years. It had no sentimental value what so ever and I don't recall exactly when I got rid of it. I bought a Colt Diamondback after owning the other for a couple years to hopefully upgrade my shooting. It worked and I never shot that first revolver again.

Doug Add
February 9, 2008, 03:52 PM
I still have my first gun (not including all the BB and pellet guns as a boy). It is a Remington 870 Wingmaster that my wife's uncle bought new and hunted with just once before he died (which was six months before we got married). My father-in-law inherited it and gave it to me shortly before I married his daughter. I will never willingly sell it, but it will be given to my son eventually.

My first handgun was a .22 pistol I bought to teach myself and my son good handgun technique. It served its purpose and was sold with no regret. I have sold a few other handguns with no regrets because I ended up with something better as a result.

I did consider selling my SIG P228 once. That would have been a foolish decision, no doubt followed by immense regret.

transformerguru
February 9, 2008, 04:53 PM
I only miss one gun I traded in. It was a Bersa Thunder 40 I purchased last year. I traded it, a S&W 9 and an off brand .22 revolver for a 1903 Springfield. Miss the .40 but love the 1903 :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you regret selling your first gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!