More 1911 questions...and no, I don't want to go to the 1911 forum :)

PDA

littlegator
January 24, 2008, 06:53 PM
What is the benefit of a long trigger over the short GI style trigger?

Also, what is the benefit of a 2 piece full length guide rod over a GI style recoil system?

Thanks in advance for helping me with my 1911 noobiness.

If you enjoyed reading about "More 1911 questions...and no, I don't want to go to the 1911 forum :)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nicholst55
January 24, 2008, 07:01 PM
The long trigger is for people with larger hands; it just makes for a more comfortable grip and trigger reach for them.

The 2-piece guide rod, IMHO, is purely snake oil - a solution to a nonexistent problem, designed to separate you from your money. The sales pitch that accompanies it says that it makes the gun 'more reliable' by eliminating 'spring flex.' Hogwash; the way that John Moses Browning designed the gun, there is precious little room for the recoil spring to flex. Besides, it makes the gun more difficult to disassemble for routine maintenance. Strictly a slick marketing job, IMHO.

Black Majik
January 24, 2008, 07:10 PM
Longer trigger helps for people with large hands, or long fingers. Same helps with arched MSH, also offering different pointability of the gun.

As for the 2-piece guide rod. There is zero benefit of that poor design. It requires a tool to take down, and can unsrew under recoil. It's suppose to help with muzzle flip by adding weight, and ensuring that the recoil spring isn't kinked... but it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It causes more hard than good.

Stick with the GI rod and plug set up. You'll notice most semi-custom 1911 makers usually ship their gun with the GI rod and plug setup instead of a FLGR. For good reasons too. :)

littlegator
January 24, 2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the reply - is there a history of failures because of the GI recoil system that is not attributable to the 2 piece guide rod? Based upon your response, I'm assuming the answer is no. Good info. Thanks again.

If you enjoyed reading about "More 1911 questions...and no, I don't want to go to the 1911 forum :)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!