Websites or information on old artillery pieces?

PDA

Lucky
January 24, 2008, 09:52 PM
Looking for information on period artillery pieces, 1500-1900, if anyone has sites with good information on them. Especially interested in British pieces if possible.

If you enjoyed reading about "Websites or information on old artillery pieces?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mekender
January 25, 2008, 03:53 AM
wikipedia is a good place to start if you know exactly what model you are looking for... usually they will have secondary sources listed at the bottoms of their articles... also, ive seen a lot of really nice hardback books on stuff like this sitting on the discount clearance shelves at bookstores, usually for much less than 50% of the cover price... they make great coffee table books

Lucky
January 25, 2008, 01:42 PM
No idea what specific piece though. Just looking for a region-appropriate period piece. Guess it's time to call the local historic fort.

Strange there's no site on these. Give it time I guess.

GRIZ22
January 25, 2008, 03:08 PM
I once found a British Artillery website that was very comprehensive. For the 19th century you might want to contact Fort Henry in Kingston, ON. They have a lot of period artillery pieces there and some staff that are very knowledgable. They gave my National Guard unit (Division Artillery HQS Staff) a very informative tour focusing on artillery.

Geronimo45
January 25, 2008, 03:44 PM
You could try your library, and see if they have anything by Ian Hogg - I seem to recall a few books on artillery by him.

WildcatRegi
January 25, 2008, 04:24 PM
Here's a forum where you'll find experts on Civil War artillery pieces and I'm sure they would be able to point you in the right direction to find out anything you need to know...

http://www.n-ssa.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=24&sid=b4fcc41f7a29073281d9e2d2a9395b30

If you enjoyed reading about "Websites or information on old artillery pieces?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!