Answers when somebody ask you why you carry

PDA

Redtail
January 25, 2008, 02:58 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/perry/perry39.html:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Answers when somebody ask you why you carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FireArmFan
January 25, 2008, 03:12 AM
the link didn't work for me.

average_shooter
January 25, 2008, 03:14 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/perry/perry39.html

Get Good With Gun Gab

by Greg Perry

Always practice your response when asked why you carry a gun or what you think of gun control. Through the years several writers and enthusiasts have written great sound bites you can use. Gun people love to exchange gun-related effective statements that are funny, cut to the heart of gun control’s evil, promote freedom and defense, or all of the above.

Being armed emotionally and conversationally is almost as important as being armed with bullets that fly out your gun’s muzzle. The left thinks it owns the arguments. To be honest, many times it does because those who believe in freedom are often so caught up in day-to-day productivity and trying to make ends meet for their families that they don’t take time to hone arguments well. Hence, they don’t defend their faith and ideals well. The left, often with no families or real jobs and no prospects or dreams for either have more time to master debate skills.

You don’t need to be a great debater. Just knowing a few good lines when faced with the opportunity to say them puts your opponents off guard. Just arming yourself with some of the following statements will make a big difference the next time someone asks you why you carry a gun or the next time someone asks why you think you need a caliber as big as a .45.

Below you’ll find gun-related statements, many of which you’ll love, some you may not understand depending on your perspective, and some you’ll disagree with. That’s all fine! Any of these that speak to you are super and ones you should memorize for an opportune time. Start a Word document and begin saving the ones you like best and add to it as you hear more good ones. Send me some of your favorites too!

Arm Yourself With These Lines

(If I don’t cite a source, either it’s a statement I wrote or one that was passed to me and I could not locate an original source.)

It used to be John Birch Society’s motto that "Truth is our only weapon!" Such a statement, while understandable, has problems. The truth is decisive and is a good weapon but it’s a passive weapon. You must be able to fight for your defense, your freedom, and ultimately perhaps fight to maintain control of your guns.

Have you noticed that lone gunmen never attack police stations or Israeli schools? (You might want to review, No Guns Allowed Signs Increase Murder.)

Every time our military has been in involved in any conflict, some of our own have been shot and killed. If trained military cannot 100% always successfully protect each other, how can we expect school security to protect us? How can we expect TSA workers (I use the term "workers" loosely...) to protect us? How can we expect typically bad shooters known as BATF or police officers to protect us?

Caliber-Related (Here’s Where Some Furious Emails Will Begin!)

* Paraphrased and Modified from Cooper’s description of the .25: "If you must own a 9mm, keep it in a box so you don’t accidentally load it. If you do load it, don’t shoot it. If you do shoot it don’t hit someone. Because if you do hit someone and if he ever realizes he’s shot, he’s going to be angry!"
* Nine-millimeters are all well and good until someone loses an eye.
* As long as one doesn't get into a gunfight, a 9mm is just fine. ~ Mark Moritz
* Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Rules of Gunfighting

The absolute First Rule of a Gunfight, in Mark Moritz' brilliantly enunciated aphorism, is "Have a gun!" The subsequent lines below help supplement that first rule:

1. Have a gun.
1. Preferably, have at least two guns.
2. Bring all of your friends who have guns.
3. Pack extra ammo
2. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun... and a friend with a long gun.

When You Have to Shoot

* Anything worth shooting is worth shooting two times, more if necessary. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive. ~ Gabe Suarez
* (Revisited) Ammo is cheap and (your) life is precious – so be generous. And shoot your adversary to the ground. ~ Gabe Suarez
* "Why didn’t I shoot only once? There's no additional paperwork for shooting someone twice!" ~ Firearms Instructor P.O.J.D., MOS debriefing after a shooting.
* "Why did I shoot him 7 times? Because 6 times wouldn’t have been enough and 8 would have been too many." ~ Massad Ayoob
* When asked, "Why do you need a gun with 17 rounds?" you should gently reply, "In case I get attacked by 17 bad guys."
* Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

(I believe the following all may have been said by Gabe Suarez.)

* If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.
* Proximity negates skill. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)
* In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
* If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading and running.
* Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Winning the Fight

* Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose. ~ Colonel Jeff Cooper
* If you find yourself equally matched in a fight, you didn't plan your mission properly. ~ Paraphrased from Cooper
* The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. ~ John Steinbeck
* Have a plan. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.
* Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everybody else keep your hands where I can see them.)
* The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get. ~ Cooper
* A good general rule of thumb: Be polite. Be professional. But... have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
* Be courteous to everyone. Friendly to no one.
* Nothing handheld is a reliable stopper.
* Carry the same gun in the same place all the time. ~ Cooper

Freedom Related

* An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a victim.
* A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
* Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.
* Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.
* If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?
* If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
* Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
* If you don't know your rights you don't have any.
* Those who trade liberty for security have neither.
* The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
* What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
* The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.
* 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.
* Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians. ~ Cooper
* You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.
* Dialing 911 – government sponsored Dial a Prayer.
* Assault is a behavior, not a device.
* Criminals love gun control – it makes their jobs safer.
* If guns cause crime, why do we want policemen to have them?
* Enforce the "gun control laws" in place, don't make more.
* If you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.
* The American Revolution wouldn't have happened with Gun Control.
* If you know how many guns you own, you don’t own enough guns.
* You can't make an appointment to have an emergency so always have your firearm. ~ Cooper
* Gun Inscription: Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens call on me, and I will equalize.
* Always fire two warning shots into your attacker’s chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
* Should be a required warning on every handgun: This handgun should only be used to enable you to get to your rifle which you should have had in hand before this firefight broke out.

Proper Responses to Why Do You Carry a Gun?

Q: Why do you carry a gun?
A: In case I have to shoot somebody.

A: For the same reason a policeman carries a gun.

A: Don’t you?

A: I’d rather be a gun owner than a crime victim.

A: For the same reason I would never get on a boat without a life jacket.

Miscellany

* Brandishing is a crime, and it's dangerous (to you) and foolish. The threat you face should catch at least two rounds before he realizes you have a firearm. Never brandish your weapon. ~ Cooper
* The Pacifist and the Gun: When the Quaker found the burglar in his living room filling the sack with the family silver, the Quaker declaimed with calm, respectful dignity, "Friend, not for the world would I harm a hair on thy head, but thee is standing exactly where I am about to shoot." (From Gunsite Gossip)
* Bumper Sticker: Fight Crime – Shoot Back (From Gunsite Gossip)
* Quote from Blackjack Pershing: "If you know how to shoot, and are quite ready to shoot, the chances are that you won’t have to shoot." This is why trained, gun carriers are often the most calm people in a group.
* Engraved on Sir Walter Scott’s blunderbuss muzzle: "When rogues appear, my voice you’ll hear!" (with folding spring bayonet no less!)
* Waste enemies, not ammunition. ~ Mark Moritz
* Good shooting is 90% of killing power. ~ Finn Agaard
* Big brother is now here – and look, he is retarded. ~ Bob Bude
* Judging by Waco and the Weavers, the feds are almost one hundred times more likely to kill an innocent person than a guilty one. ~ Jack Buchnmiller
* The pen is mightier than the sword – except in a sword fight. ~ Eric Ching
* The stars and stripes have no place to fly over a country where you have no right to bear arms. ~ Matt Egloff
* A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. ~ Paul Kirchner
* Hits vary inversely in proportion to the number of rounds in the magazine. ~ Ronin Coleman
* If no one is shooting at you, you have nothing to complain about. If someone is then shoot back. ~ Curt Rich
* A free man is never unarmed. ~ Cooper

Interesting how liberals/"compassionate conservatives" prompt for safety devices to be installed on cars, but are against safety devices on weapons (e.g. silencers, pistol grips, flash hiders).

They say "violence begets violence" as if that’s a bad thing in half the cases. In the words of Jeff Cooper, I would certainly hope that it does. Self-defense means meeting violence with an immediate, direct, and more violent response. This also holds true for nations, such as America, who attacked back and with the greatest force in WWII. The proper response for unprovoked and unjustified violence is harsher violence. Such a response neutralizes the threat (see Germany and Japan today) whereas a meek response to violence (Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq) produces a continued violent disrespect. (No matter your stance on the current Iraq war, this still holds true.)

If guns were the problem, then the military should not have guns.

January 25, 2008

Greg Perry [send him mail] is the pistol-packing author of more than 75 books. He loves to combine his favorite hobby – guns – with his second favorite – online auctions – by teaching others how to buy and sell firearms, knives, and ammo in online auctions legally and easily! eBay may not respect your freedoms but the free market does. You can comfortably buy and sell weapons-related items in a simpler-than-eBay environment by getting his profit-boosting book, Guns Galore! How to Buy and Sell Guns, Knives, and Ammo in Online Auctions Easily Without eBay!

Copyright © 2008 LewRockwell.com

Bitmap
January 25, 2008, 10:28 AM
Why discuss carrying with people?

ETA No good will come from discussing this with people that believe you shouldn't be able to save your own life and the lives of your loved ones. Much bad can come from it.

Your chances of changing their mind is very small, but you can bet that people that want you helpless will not keep things to themselves. They will bring this up loudly in public at the worst possible (or most embarrassing) time. Won't you love it if you debate this with some anti-gunner at work and then have to take a business trip with them on a plane? Nothing like being in the security checkpoint line at the airport and have them yell out "Hey Redtail, you did leave your gun in the car didn't you?"

Soybomb
January 25, 2008, 12:01 PM

ETA No good will come from discussing this with people that believe you shouldn't be able to save your own life and the lives of your loved ones. Much bad can come from it.

I think you're very very wrong. Most people just aren't that firmly attached to their anti-gun beliefs but instead just don't know anything about them. I've never shot a gun, the news says guns are bad, carrying a gun sounds scary. If you can spend a couple minutes talking to someone rationally about self defense in a way that makes them think a little and makes you seem like you've thought this out and have a logical position I think you wind up planting a great pro-gun seed. A trip or two to the range comes next and then before you know it you have another pro-gun voter. We need this votes and shouldn't write them off as unchangable.

ZeSpectre
January 25, 2008, 12:10 PM
Get Good With Gun Gab
by Greg Perry
>snip<
Being armed emotionally and conversationally is almost as important as being armed with bullets that fly out your gun’s muzzle. The left thinks it owns the arguments. To be honest, many times it does because those who believe in freedom are often so caught up in day-to-day productivity and trying to make ends meet for their families that they don’t take time to hone arguments well. Hence, they don’t defend their faith and ideals well. The left, often with no families or real jobs and no prospects or dreams for either have more time to master debate skills.

I tried to make a similar point in the past with a post called "Verbal Tactics_Pithy responses to Anti remarks (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=282793&highlight=pithy)"
My thread got locked as off topic for "Strategies and Tactics". I see the mod's point but I wish they had just moved it and not simply locked it.

Regardless, I'm still convinced that being prepared for "verbal judo" is every bit as important to our self protection as physical training because if we aren't prepared for the debates with the anti's we will loose those debates (and the managed media will make the most of how uneducated we look).

If we loose the debates we WILL loose our rights.

If we loose our rights we loose our firearms...and then what good do the physical tactics do?

In the past several years I've had to actually use my physical self-defense skills ZERO times but I've had to use my "verbal judo" skills quite literally thousands of times.

RKBABob
January 25, 2008, 12:16 PM
Q. Why do you carry a GUN??!!

Because my chance of being the victim of a violent crime is far greater than my chance of winning the lottery this year. Most folks are content to count on the police to protect them... but if you're like me, you probably haven't seen a police officer all day. Chances are pretty good that there won't be an officer nearby if I ever need one.

MilsurpShooter
January 25, 2008, 12:19 PM
Can't take credit for it but I use it

Q:Why do you carry a Firearm?
A: Because a Police Officer is too heavy

Fozzy_Bear
January 25, 2008, 12:38 PM

I submit this:

It is easier to to discuss why someone's current feelings are unfounded than it is to interest the appathetic.

-I'm not the source of that little jem, but it is modified enough that it would be inappropriate to list it as a "quote"

If somebody askes about this, even if all they've ever heard is left-wing propaganda, then you are 85% the way of gaining an ally as opposed to somebody sitting on their couch watching TV.

Fozzy_Bear
January 25, 2008, 12:42 PM
I tried to make a similar point in the past with a post called

Thread bookmarked. thanks.

A: Because a Police Officer is too heavy

:D That's great. I'm probably gonna use that one myself.

kd7nqb
January 25, 2008, 01:01 PM
I like the ideas presented at that link. However one of the best ways I have found to explain it is explaining that No one objects to me carrying a fire extinguisher or jumper cables in my car in case of emergency. A firearm is just another tool in the toolbox and prepares me for a different emergency.

M2 Carbine
January 25, 2008, 01:08 PM

Dislike of many things, to the point of wanting them banned, is usually caused by not having a interest in the subject.
"I don't like motorcycles. They are dangerous. They should be not be allowed on the road."

Educating people can do wonders.
Since most anti-gun laws are wrong and what people believe is wrong, it's usually easy to change a open minded person's anti-gun feelings.

In many years I've only met a couple anti-gun people that didn't change their anti-gun feelings to at least a neutral attitude.
The closed minded people would finally admit, "Well I just don't like guns and I don't think people should have them".

Atticus
January 25, 2008, 01:21 PM
My life, and the lives of my family, are important to me regardless of whether I am home in bed or walking down a city street. Very few people would deny a person the right to defend themselves in their own bed. One's bed is generally safer than than the street. Do the math.

TallPine
January 25, 2008, 02:03 PM

Well, sometimes it does come up when you are carrying open :D

Kind of Blued
January 25, 2008, 02:18 PM
"The same reason I wear a seatbelt... So I don't die if something comes up."

Floppy_D
January 25, 2008, 02:30 PM
My favorite:
"Why do you have a gun? Can't you just call the cops?"
"Why do you have a fire extinguisher, can't you call the fire department?"

PennsyPlinker
January 25, 2008, 06:19 PM

I can give you a very good reason. Recently I had the chance to speak with a lady who is new in our church, and has been isolated, insulated, and all sorts of other lated from guns. It was a genuine shock to her that not only did I own and carry a handgun, but our pastor owns one too. She was shocked, taken aback, and completely discombobulated.

Two days later she came up to me and asked me to take her shooting.

Baba Louie
January 25, 2008, 06:39 PM
When asked "Why...?", I use the old tried and true statement my father used... "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Blackbeard
January 25, 2008, 08:29 PM
A: Why do you carry a gun?
B: Do you see the cop standing behind me?
A: No.
B: Bingo.

Old Fuff
January 25, 2008, 11:01 PM
The folks that know I sometimes carry won't ask any foolish questions, and hopefully those that might will never know that I carry. This has always worked for me. Others can do as they wish.

JKimball
January 25, 2008, 11:26 PM
* The pen is mightier than the sword – except in a sword fight. ~ Eric Ching

LOL

Thanks for the good list.

My brother-in-law once asked me why I carry. I felt he was looking to argue against it, so I shrugged and said, "If somebody shoots me I want to be able to shoot them back." He couldn't argue with that. Not very funny, but it's true.

Redtail
January 25, 2008, 11:28 PM

Your chances of changing their mind is very small, but you can bet that people that want you helpless will not keep things to themselves. They will bring this up loudly in public at the worst possible (or most embarrassing) time. Won't you love it if you debate this with some anti-gunner at work and then have to take a business trip with them on a plane? Nothing like being in the security checkpoint line at the airport and have them yell out "Hey Redtail, you did leave your gun in the car didn't you?"

I would say that's a case to case basis. Not all anti-gun are anti-gun because they were born that way. They are what they are because they've been brainwashed by the media-both paper and screen. It always help when you explain it to them. Yours truly is a proof. I was once an anti-gun that every time I see a gun it's evil. It took me awhile to figure out that guns are inanimate object, that the problem is man's heart. When I was yet a kid back in the Philippines my Dad used to tell me that before the government have gun control, crime is low. Those statement's kinda stick on my mind and I kept asking myself why.

MM
January 26, 2008, 12:29 AM
My answer is that it provides more options.
MM

Javelin
January 26, 2008, 12:31 AM
Why risk missing out on a perfectly good chance to shoot a bad guy?

Oh is that being too honest?

:)

The Unknown User
January 26, 2008, 01:55 AM
If I'm ever told I shouldn't carry, I'd like to respond with, "Well, I won't waste my ammunition saving your life, then." I'm not sure how people might respond to that. >_>

GRB
January 26, 2008, 02:17 AM
I have a bone to pick with some of the things that were said or quoted in that piece by Perry:

Have you noticed that lone gunmen never attack police stations or Israeli schools? (You might want to review, No Guns Allowed Signs Increase Murder.) Untrue, just absolutely untrue. Here is one example: http://www.nbc4.com/news/11537996/detail.html, and it has happened at other times.

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting two times, more if necessary. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive. ~ Gabe Suarez Yes life is expensive, when it is my life. If I shoot a subject once, and that stops him from being a threat, then why would I shoot again and face possible criminal charges that could have me jailed or face an executioner.

"Why didn’t I shoot only once? There's no additional paperwork for shooting someone twice!" ~ Firearms Instructor P.O.J.D., MOS debriefing after a shooting. No additional paperwork except as all the paperwork involved in your trial as in the one directly above.

"Why did I shoot him 7 times? Because 6 times wouldn’t have been enough and 8 would have been too many." ~ Massad Ayoob This is a good one, and can you see how POerry uses contradictory statements in this piece because this perfectly contradicts the two that are immediately previous to it. ONLY shoot as much as needed, don’t shoot twice because you think it is cool, or because you think the paperwork is the same!

If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading and running. Hell no, I am not running if I am behind good cover and running would put me out in the open, certainly not if fighting one attacker similarly armed as me.

Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose. ~ Colonel Jeff Cooper. This while well meant, was one of the most stupid ways to say it as could be said. Using the word cheat, when later telling a grand jury, or trial jury, what you did in a gunfight, would be extremely foolish. Tell them you did what had to be done in order to defend yourself and win the fight by stopping your opponent.

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense... Again, quite foolish to say at least part of this and believe the same. If you say you were not defending yourself in a self defense type gun fight, what were you doing? If not defending, then you were being the aggressor. If you were the aggressor, expect to be in jail a long time, or maybe even executed. Yes there is victory in (self) defense, it comes when you stop your adversary from posing a threat to you.

A good general rule of thumb: Be polite. Be professional. But... have a plan to kill everyone you meet. Another statement, if repeated by you after a shootout, or even before a shootout and someone remembers you said it, that will not go over good at your trial if you killed the other guy, heck even if you wounded him and the shooting was questionable.

Be courteous to everyone. Friendly to no one. Oh come on now.

You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive. I agree with this one. Does this one contradict anything said or quoted in the article by Perry? Why does he use contradictory statements.

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker’s chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck I truly hope this was meant as comedic, but man how it could be misconstrued even if meant as something funny.

Dialing 911 – government sponsored Dial a Prayer. Foolish statement, folish mindset. Sure you call 911 if your home is invaded, or if you are assaulted, or likewise. As soon as you can do it. First for backup, second to show that you had nothing to hide.

Judging by Waco and the Weavers, the feds are almost one hundred times more likely to kill an innocent person than a guilty one. ~ Jack Buchnmiller This is just ridiculous. Sure sometimes shooting by LE are bad, but to say this is way over the top. It shows a lack of respect for federal law enforcement that make regular people think people who say such things are extremists.

Self-defense means meeting violence with an immediate, direct, and more violent response. All of a sudden, Perry seems to be saying DEFENSE is okay; remember above when he quoted someone saying “There is no possible victory in defense.” If you are going to support the RKBA, and shooting in self defense, you may as well be in agreement with yourself instead of using statements or quotes that are contradictory.

The proper response for unprovoked and unjustified violence is harsher violence. AND Self-defense means meeting violence with an immediate, direct, and more violent response. This is just not true if talking about a self defense response. Harsher violence is not the key, the appropriate level of violence to stop the threat is proper. If you knew a guy was wearing a suicide bomb, and he had a plunger he had to push, what would be the proper response from you – maybe a bigger bomb by the logic in that quote. I would rather shoot him so he could not hit the plunger, and cause less of a threat to innocent bystanders. The same could be true in a gunfight. Equal force is often enough, sometimes even less force if it is all you have. Here is what you are justified to do: Shoot back, hit the guy, he stops being a threat, you stop shooting. He does not stop being a threat, you continue shooting until he stops. You are not justified in escalating the amount of force to the point where it could threaten others who are innocents.

Sorry I don’t find any of those sayings or quotes that I just pointed out as amusing, as logical, as justifiable, as reasonable, or as responsible. I do find most of the ones I mentioned to be rather assinine in a gung-ho macho way, and to be: less than responsible, leass than reasonable, and much less than helpful to the cause of the RKBA.

By the way, just in case anyone saw my initial response to this, I comnpletely changed my original response to this, to keep it High Road, but this response makes the same point exactly.

All the best,
Glenn B.

Kind of Blued
January 26, 2008, 02:42 AM
I agree with you Glenn. I like to think that, all wit and quips aside, we all understand the magnitude of responsibility that is associated with carrying a concealed handgun. I truly believe some people don't. but sometimes it's hard to figure out what you can do for them.

I've thought about the concept of having some sort of survey (I hesitate to call it a test) everyone is OFFERED before beginning their CCW class which asks the students what they would do in a number of given hostile situations. This would be in order for them to be more prepared for the situations which they may one day, God forbid, find themselves in. They could all be yes or no answers, but I think there are ALOT of situations that people with CCWs have never considered.

I typed up a situation, but I think it may be something that is horrible enough and graphic enough that it would upset people here enough that they would be angry with me, so I guess I'll just leave it be.

GRB
January 26, 2008, 03:14 AM
I don';t know about asking anyomne what to do before they have some knowledg eof self defense. I think some good training should be the norm though for anyone who carries. Training that covers the RKBA, safety, how to shoot, and about the law regarding carry, self defense and so on (and I think the laws should be much less restrictive than now at least about carrying requirements, as in there should be virtually none except citizenship or legal residence by an immigrant, and lack of a violent felony past).

All the best,
Glenn B

Leif Runenritzer
January 26, 2008, 03:16 AM
Last time i was asked: "you can't choose when or where bad things happen."

The left, often with no families or real jobs and no prospects or dreams for either have more time to master debate skills.

This sounds just like me, and it didn't take leftiness to get me on this path.

Enforce the "gun control laws" in place, don't make more.

A great politician once wrote "We should not be arguing for further enforcement of existing gun laws. Instead we should be putting these laws on trial."

jakemccoy
January 26, 2008, 04:28 AM
My signature line is a good one-liner.

FMJMIKE
January 26, 2008, 09:06 PM
My life was threatened and the police said the couldn't protect me...... They could only enforce the laws after they were broken...........True story.........

GeorgiaGlocker
January 27, 2008, 12:09 AM
Why do I carry a gun? Because I can't throw a rock 1200 fps.

geekWithA.45
January 27, 2008, 12:27 AM

A: Because I'd feel really, really stupid to be found dead in an alley somewhere with my vast pile of guns all fully locked up and accounted for at home, where they didn't do anyone a lick of good.

B yond
January 27, 2008, 01:12 AM
Why do you carry a gun?

In case I have to shoot someone.

LKB3rd
January 27, 2008, 10:05 AM
I open carried a few times, once in Hanover, New Hampshire. I went into the Dartmouth bookstore (the belly of the beast), and i was prepared with what to say if some hippy liberal anti gun philosophy professor gave me a hard time.
If I'm ever told I shouldn't carry, I'd like to respond with, "Well, I won't waste my ammunition saving your life, then." I'm not sure how people might respond to that. >_>
I had some things i planned to say, including "i carry for the same reason i wear a seatbelt, even if i am not planning on crashing my car." And, "well if anything ever happened here and now, not only would i be safer, but you would be too." I imagined a response something along the lines of "I don't want/need you to protect me." And i would have said "OK, i'll keep that in mind."
P.S. no one even batted an eye about it

oldfart
January 27, 2008, 12:41 PM
Why do I carry?

Because there is evil in this world.
It strikes in Churches, at McDonalds, the library, at home and in traffic. It can come suddenly, without warning and with such unbelievable violence there will be no time to call the police. It is my job as a husband, as a father and as a man to protect my family and other innocents from this evil.

Eric F
January 27, 2008, 01:38 PM
Why do I carry?
How did you know?

usmarine0352_2005
January 27, 2008, 01:43 PM
I don't think I'm going to get in a car accident, but I still wear a seatbelt.

..........as a matter of fact, the law requires I do. ;-)

gym
January 27, 2008, 09:33 PM
Never answer a leading question from a person who isn't a close friend or family member, and if they are either of those they will probablly not ask the question, offering information will almost always get you someware that you don't want to be.

Floppy_D
January 27, 2008, 09:59 PM
'cause I can.

jakeswensonmt
January 27, 2008, 11:51 PM
- Because evildoers carry. And I'm not speaking theoretically, I've had their guns aimed at me already.

10 Ring Tao
January 28, 2008, 03:42 AM
The lady cop who pulled me over to engage in an obvious fishing expedition (didn't use turn signal on deserted road, give me a break), seemed to be satisfied with my reply of:

"It's the prudent thing to do".

Seancass
January 28, 2008, 10:03 AM
well, why do you bother wearing a seat belt? if you wreck, the paramedics are only 5-10 minutes away.

Blacksmoke
January 28, 2008, 01:18 PM
Glen Bartley,

Foolish statement, folish mindset. Sure you call 911 if your home is invaded, or if you are assaulted, or likewise. As soon as you can do it. First for backup, second to show that you had nothing to hide.

Your comments are well thought out and well taken. Thank you for taking the time to read, think and comment in such detail. Certainly, some of the original post was meant as humor and in that humor is a grain or two of truth.

The sad fact is, parts of America, professional law enforcement cannot be relied upon to respond in time to deal with emergency situations, despite their best efforts (the benefit of the doubt!). New Orleans and Los Angeles are two well publicized examples of what happens when the police are "impeeded." Understand that I am as pro law enforcement and would support my local sheriff if he ever bothered to come to this part of the county.

In rural NM, there is no one to call in an emergency. The sheriff and the state police are no more than escorts for the County Medical Examiner. There are no community police patrols. The nearest police station is forty miles away and closed on weekends. At that point, the nearest police station would be eighty miles away and involves neogtiating a narrow winding canyon road.

One night (July 2005) we had a man with an SKS or that other Russian designed rifle shoot sixteen rounds into two homes on our village plaza. This followed an earlier shooting of our village gas station and market about one month earlier. The occupants of the house called 911 and me. I am just a half mile away so I got there first. The shooter had left the scene and, fortuantely, no one was injured. The shooter had five rounds embedded in a house wall immediately next to the house gas line. Good thing he missed! The reamining bullet count was randomly spread over the exterior walls of the two attached adobe homes. I found 11 spent shell casings spread over the ground and marked their location. About ninety minute later a Sheriff's car rolled into the plaza. A very scared deputy, appeared to be about 20 years old, only exited his car after being assured the shooter had left the scene. He then proceeded to pick up each of the shell casings with his fingers and place them in a plastic bag. No detectives, no patrol superviosr, no state police officers or back up of any kind, no one else showed up except some of the neighbors from up the road. There was no follow-up, no investigation, no news coverage.

Now, I have been shot at a total of three times since relocating here. Twice by drunk or stoned teenagers and once by an anonymnous shooter who pulled up to my front gate, unloaded, hit one of my dogs and left before I could emerge, shotgun with 3.5 inch shell with 00 shot, in hand.

One earlier occassion involved an incapacitated teen firing a S&W Model 10 randomly down a slope into the Rio Grande. On the bank were families with children scrambling for cover. I attempted to approach him to calm him down when he turned and aimed at me. I was unarmed and hit the dirt. He left the scene and I drove to the town police department. Since it was Sunday, the front door was locked. Speaking on the telephone to the dispatcher inside to report a "man with a gun,shots fired", she informed me that the location was not in the town so I would have to go to the State Police office about two miles away. I drove over there only to find the office closed and no telephone link to their dispatch center some thirty miles away. I just went home.

The point of all this is that when people ask me why I carry (who have all been Anglo liberals from somewhere else), they have neither the patience to listen to these incidents nor do they have the slightest idea there is a problem. yet. The people who know what life is like in rural New Mexico obviously do not ask me any questions.

So, when they ask, I just stare at them and reply "Because it is my right."

Call 911? Only reason is to make an incident report, if there is anyone to take it down.

Just Jim
January 28, 2008, 01:26 PM
Because I am a free man and choose to walk where I want without fear of being defenseless. No man can be comeplete till he can live his life free and "self" protected.

jj

PressCheck
January 28, 2008, 01:45 PM
I have two answers that I use:

Because I can.
Because the Sheriff said I could.

DrewH
January 28, 2008, 02:08 PM
Because I am a free man and choose to walk where I want without fear of being defenseless. No man can be comeplete till he can live his life free and "self" protected.

Really? What if the person asking is a woman? Shocking idea on this board, I know :)

Even if you believe this (which I do not), don't you think the implicit contempt expressed for the person asking is both rude and a turn-off for a potential gun owner?

If you really feel this way, how about just saying "it is my right" and leaving it at that.

Me, I say (and have said) "for self defense"

tnieto2004
January 28, 2008, 02:13 PM
A: For the same reason a policeman carries a gun.

I like that one

hso
January 28, 2008, 03:12 PM
Most of Perry's suggestions are useless posturing when applied to trying to present a reasoned argument with an undecided or mildly hoplophobic individual.

Why is self defense important? Because each of us has the right to be safe. Since each of us has the right to be safe, we look to society as a whole and its institutions to help ensure our safety. But, the only real way to ensure our own safety is to act responsibly. To take responsibility for our safety we must have the best means available. If we are responsible adults we have fire extinguishers and first aid kits available so we can buy time for help to arrive. We have the means to ensure our safety in these instances, should we discard the means to protect ourselves from violence? For what reason? When the peace is breached and we have seconds to survive why should we have to wait minutes (hours?) for the police to come? Just so they can take names and make chalk outlines and collect evidence that puts our killer/rapist/assailant in jail after the fact? Is this more comfort to our loved ones than our survival? Or, would it be better if we took responsibility for our own safety and had the means at hand?

TexasBen317
January 28, 2008, 03:37 PM
Why do I choose to carry?

I value my life and the life of my wife and we are too old to out run the crack heads and illegal gun tooting SOBs..

Because the law says I can.

I liked the answer that A cop is too heavy to carry .. :) and the one,, do you see a cop standing behind me?

MrPeter
January 28, 2008, 03:52 PM
those who believe in freedom are often so caught up in day-to-day productivity and trying to make ends meet for their families that they don’t take time to hone arguments well. Hence, they don’t defend their faith and ideals well. The left, often with no families or real jobs and no prospects or dreams for either have more time to master debate skills.

So essentially the OP's article's author is saying that people with a liberal mindset have no families, are unemployed, and have no future.

Am I the only one who sees this as bigoted, offensive, and inappropriate for THR? I agree with some of the things listed in this article as probably most of you do, but I would not post a reference to it on THR without a disclaimer or a bit of censorship.

That is of course assuming the OP actually read what he posted.

Now, to go smooth out all those ruffled feathers...

armedandsafe
January 28, 2008, 04:59 PM
Why do I carry a gun?

To protect people who are not willing or able to protect themselves. Are you one of those?

Pops

BobbyQuickdraw
January 28, 2008, 05:04 PM
Why always the 9mm hatred? Not to offend anyones religion, but if Cooper was ever wrong about anything, it was his unquestioned love of .45 and all things .45.

With so many flavors, why stick with just one?

ColinthePilot
January 28, 2008, 05:28 PM
"Why do you carry a gun?"
Most common response: "Because I can."

I usually explain it further, but most people who ask already know my stance on guns. I had another pro-gun friend (doesn't carry) run into me at wally world one night. he knew I had just gotten my permit and asked where "it" was. I said "if you can't tell, then I'm doing it right."
I don't advertise the fact that I carry, but its not a secret. I'll discuss it with anyone who will listen.

As for Glenn Bartley, I find your comments a bit anti. You are of course entitled to your opinions, but your post seemed a bit confrontational. Its pretty clear that many of the posts on this thread are a good mix of truth and humor. You don't need to bring the ax down on the only amusing part of what I consider a serious topic. I also don't believe that many people here would be so careless as to tell a responding LEO that "I shot him 10 times because my magazine doesn't hold eleven." I hope your intentions were to make sure people don't self incriminate but I found them condescending. Much of the gun culture I grew up in included dry humor about an otherwise serious and unfortunate subject (unfortunate because I would love to not have to carry, because people were nice.) Please don't take my sunshine away.

Bazooka Joe71
January 28, 2008, 05:52 PM
A: In case I have to shoot somebody.

I know I'm a bit late on this one, now that we are 3 pages deep into this thread, but LOL I love that one.:D

ArfinGreebly
January 28, 2008, 06:03 PM
A remark on "unintended rudeness."

Really? What if the person asking is a woman? Shocking idea on this board, I know :)

Even if you believe this (which I do not), don't you think the implicit contempt expressed for the person asking is both rude and a turn-off for a potential gun owner?

If you really feel this way, how about just saying "it is my right" and leaving it at that.

Me, I say (and have said) "for self defense"
I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder. I don't have any sort of gender agenda.

If someone describes a "woman's" right or a "man's" right, I am able to commute either to "one's" right.

I understand that "mankind" is not a gender-specific term. I understand that "man does not live by bread alone" is not gender-specific.

Interestingly, one of the languages that has a gender-neutral form is Danish. Their word for "one" is . . . ready? . . . man. Really. It means "one" or "a person." They also have a gender-neutral word for both "his" and "her" (possessive).

English doesn't. And it's been understood for generations that "man" and "he" and "his" are used in the gender-neutral sense in much writing, to avoid the really awkward "he/she" and "his/her" or the grammatically defective singular "they" and "their" to avoid giving offense.

So, to take offense at "Because I am a free man . . ." because there's a gender-specific word in it, and to take offense because one fails to say "because I am a free person" is to employ the "tyranny of formula" in order to invalidate a concept because "you didn't say it right."

Someone who deliberately takes offense at the way something is phrased, taking delight in missing the point, is engaging in dishonesty and distraction. The assertion is that "you meant to offend me," when, in fact, no such thing happened. "Well, subconsciously, you are gender-prejudiced." Sorry. FAIL. You don't know my subconscious, and it's arrogant and dishonest to pretend you do.

Unable to win an argument on its merits, some people will quite often resort to attacking the language of the argument rather than its substance.

That's a sucker's ruse.

You might not want to try that particular finesse in a discussion wherein I have an active part.

Just Jim
January 28, 2008, 06:49 PM
Really? What if the person asking is a woman? Shocking idea on this board, I know

Well, being a free MAN and not being gender nuetered I tend to talk like a man too. Try it sometime:D

The freedom to carry a gun is rare in this world so use it or lose it.

jj

sandwich
January 28, 2008, 06:54 PM
So essentially the OP's article's author is saying that people with a liberal mindset have no families, are unemployed, and have no future.

Am I the only one who sees this as bigoted, offensive, and inappropriate for THR? I agree with some of the things listed in this article as probably most of you do, but I would not post a reference to it on THR without a disclaimer or a bit of censorship.

That is of course assuming the OP actually read what he posted.

Now, to go smooth out all those ruffled feathers...

If the article says that, then yes it doesn't belong here. I confess I have not read it yet, but will comment on it when I do.

As for the thread question, I carry because I don't want to be a victim.

sandwich
January 28, 2008, 06:57 PM
Yeah, just read the article. It doesn't belong here, and it insults me by saying that I can't come up with my own arguments and need the author's help to do it. Talk about ego. Plus it was just dumb in general. This quote was particularly stupid:

Interesting how liberals/"compassionate conservatives" prompt for safety devices to be installed on cars, but are against safety devices on weapons (e.g. silencers, pistol grips, flash hiders).

Since when is a silencer a safety device? I believe that's why we have ear protection.

Nice that an article that insults an entire group of people can stay up without any complaint by a moderator. Remind me why this site is called "Thehighroad?"

WayneConrad
January 28, 2008, 07:13 PM
I carry so that we may have this conversation.

ArfinGreebly
January 28, 2008, 07:26 PM
Since when is a silencer a safety device? I believe that's why we have ear protection.
Well, since you ask . . .

Would someone living in Europe like to shed some light?

In some parts of Europe, the silencer/muffler/suppressor is, indeed, seen to be a safety device. Those people who can own a firearm can usually (in those areas) simply purchase said muffler without further paperwork.

Look at it another way: why is it that, in this country, if you want to defend your family from an intruder, you are obliged to traumatize your kids, your pets, your spouse, and your neighbors through the simple act of stopping a home invasion? Who made that rule?

Guns fired indoors are very damaging to the hearing of all within those same walls, never mind any emotional trauma. You hear someone breaking into your home and . . . you quickly don a set of muffs (which now impair your hearing, so you can't tell where/how many the invaders are) and then grab your weapon to interdict them before they can harm your family. In the course of this action, it becomes necessary to shoot. Great. YOUR hearing is protected. Your kids, your dog, your spouse . . . wind up with ringing ears and a flinch for days.

All of this could be prevented by the addition of a simple, effective, silencing muffler. Which, of course, you must register and pay a heinous tax stamp for (unless, of course, you're buying on the black market, but who would do that, I wonder?). All for the simple privilege of preserving the hearing of those whose lives you seek to protect.

Don't forget that barrel shrouds are evil, too, because they keep you from burning your hands. Silly man, you should just wear insulated mittens when shooting!

OregonJohnny
January 28, 2008, 08:21 PM
One of the problems in discussing guns with "anti-gun people" is that they have a pre-conceived notion of the kind of person you are. I am generalizing, and this is of course not true in all cases, but when I've been asked about my stance on gun rights, I barely get into my beliefs before the "anti" begins making assumptions that I'm a red-neck, a "gun-nut", a violent person, or simply uneducated. I think that when some people ask why you carry a gun, it is because in their mind, a person who carries a gun is going to use it to commit a crime or because it makes a person feel "macho". It is rare that the anti is posing this question to you with a completely open mind and the trust that you are a decent law-abiding citizen who would hate to actually have to use a gun in self-defense. The media has played a huge part in making the general public believe that gun owners are irresponsible hicks. We as an educated and responsible group of Americans need to distance ourselves from this incorrect image. I wish American gun owners/enthusiasts had a really likeable, educated, well-spoken man or woman to represent us to the mass media and general public. The image of the responsible, law-abiding gun owner needs to be solidified. Maybe then the question, "Why do you carry a gun" can finally be discussed without any prejudicial assumptions being made by the person posing it.

Superlite27
January 28, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'm usually the world's worst smart-alek. My mouth has offended more people than McDonald's has customers. But I WOULD STRONGLY REFRAIN from answering someone who asks "Why are you carrying a gun?" in a rude or sarcastic manner.

These people may be misinformed, ignorant, or simply inquisitive, BUT.....they are just like the neighbor who walks up to you as you are putting your poles into your bass boat and asks, "Are you going fishing?". These are people who aren't actively thinking, they are merely BEING CURIOUS.

The absolute WORST THING you could do, (even though it is really tempting), is to be a smart-alek. Here you have an EXCELLENT opportunity to actively sway public opinion (even though it's only one person at a time). It is the greatest opportunity to say "You too, can be one of us! Join our cause! Carry a gun, and express your freedom!".

Smarting off and feeling witty might feel good, but it will only make that person say to themself, "People who carry guns are jerks." If you do that to enough people, you will eventually alienate everyone. And that, my friend, is bad politics.

jamz
January 28, 2008, 09:01 PM
Nobody's really ever asked me, even the few that know I carry. If I were asked though, my answer is going to be:

Because there are a lot of crazy people out there.

brickeyee
January 28, 2008, 09:03 PM
Because the police are only minutes away when seconds count.

IA_farmboy
January 29, 2008, 02:10 AM
"They can take it away and use it to kill you"
• "If I draw a gun it is because they ALREADY have the means to kill me and I am in fear of my life”.
• “Ah so you are saying they already plan to kill me so I should be unarmed?”
• "If it’s that easy then I’ll just take it right back"
• “They’ll have a tough time because the gun will already be empty” (imply you’d shoot it out).

My variation on that theme:
• They'll have to beat me to death with it. (Implying I'd have shot it empty before they had the chance.)
• If they can take it from me it's because I'm already dead.
• I guess I should carry two then. If they take one I'll shoot with the other.

enfield303
January 29, 2008, 02:39 AM
My answer has gotten me some strange looks. ZOMBIES!!!! :D

TallPine
January 29, 2008, 11:46 AM
I wish American gun owners/enthusiasts had a really likeable, educated, well-spoken man or woman to represent us to the mass media and general public.

Tom Selleck ???

I think the best "who do you carry a gun?" answer is that of Capt. Woodrow Call: "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

Ske1etor
January 29, 2008, 11:51 AM
I have one...

Why do you carry a gun?

Because, a sucking chest wound is God's way of telling a criminal to stop.

OR....

Why do you carry a gun?

Because the Japanese haven't created a concealable police officer yet...

gym
January 29, 2008, 12:04 PM
Just ask them if they believe in the Costitution, either you do or not, can't pick and choose which parts you like

UFKAHR40
January 29, 2008, 12:11 PM
Because a cop is too heavy.

Darkness
January 29, 2008, 12:33 PM
Why do I carry?

Because I am getting older, fatter and slower. The days of my self-possessed invincibility and immortality have long since passed. I realize that defending myself and my loved ones with my fists while waiting for someone else to come to our rescue is simply inadequate.

romma
January 29, 2008, 12:41 PM
Because my cell phone, car keys, wallet, pack of gum, pocket knife get a little lonely and would like company... :evil:

DJAteOhAte
January 29, 2008, 02:57 PM
"In case I have to shoot someone."

(reserved for the appropriate audience)

Joe Demko
January 29, 2008, 03:16 PM
Pretty much everything in that article would be counter-productive if you actually said it. You aren't going to sway anybody to our side by being a sarcastic jerk. A brief, calm response about taking responsibility for your own safety is the way to go. Don't lecture. Don't harangue. Don't rant. Don't be condescending. Avoid use of words like sheeple. You may not convert an anti there on the spot, but that anti will have met and talked with a gun owner who wasn't an overbearing jerk. S/he/it will remember that.

DrewH
January 29, 2008, 06:02 PM
I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder. I don't have any sort of gender agenda.

If someone describes a "woman's" right or a "man's" right, I am able to commute either to "one's" right.

I understand that "mankind" is not a gender-specific term. I understand that "man does not live by bread alone" is not gender-specific.

[Interesting Danish discussion snipped]

English doesn't. And it's been understood for generations that "man" and "he" and "his" are used in the gender-neutral sense in much writing, to avoid the really awkward "he/she" and "his/her" or the grammatically defective singular "they" and "their" to avoid giving offense.

I try to use gender neutral language when possible. English is a flexible language and often, not always, allows gender neutral terms and usage. Gender neutral languge is common these days and I think this is a good thing. I think the original poster could have used gender neutral language, and it would have been more polite and not distracted from his argument.

Just Jim
January 29, 2008, 06:57 PM
I try to use gender neuter language when possible.

Tried to fix that quote for ya for everyone to better understand.:D:D Carrying a gun and using it in self defense might takes something more than a nuetered person has so to better explain why a gun is carried maybe the question is can you use the gun you carry in self defense.

There has always been a crowd around that thinks being a man is all testosterone and tools. They are the same crowd that wants to take away our guns. But first they have to demonize men so they can take the guns away. Alot of people fall prey to political correctness.

Geez:banghead:

jj

Joe Demko
January 29, 2008, 07:47 PM
Carrying a gun and using it in self defense might takes something more than a nuetered person has

Maybe you were trying to be cute when you wrote that. If so, you failed. If not, it's one of the more asinine things I've read here in a while. Please try to mentally separate from that idea that your genitals and use of weapons are somehow connected.

Soybomb
January 29, 2008, 07:59 PM

Personally I don't believe I can protect my ears too much when shooting any more than I could protect my head too much when on a bike. But since you asked, lets look some numbers.

OSHA says I can be exposed to a maximum of 100 sound impulses at 140db a day. Lets say I take my 18" shotgun out to the range, its putting out 161.5db with each shot. The guy next to me is shooting his .357 magnum at 164.3dB, and the guy on the other side is shooting his 9mm at 160dB. I'm wearing some 27 dB nrr muffs from walmart and my safety glasses. My safety glasses break the seal on the muffs and OSHA says I have to deduct 5dB from their rating for that, but you know got to protect my eyes. So every shot I take exposes me to 139.5 dB, and I'm getting 142.3 dB, and 138dB from each side of me. Presumably more if its a busy day on the range. How long can I shoot before I'm exposed to 100 sound impulses and start to risk my hearing?

Guns are really really loud. A jet engine at 30m rates at 150dB, and even a lowly .25acp rates in at 155dB. Hearing protection is great but adding a suppressor is even better, you can't be too careful with your hearing.

teknoid
January 29, 2008, 08:25 PM
I use two:

1. The cop wouldn't fit in my holster

2. I tried being a victim. Twice. I didn't care for it much, so I decided not to repeat the experience.

ArfinGreebly
January 29, 2008, 08:36 PM
I try to use gender neutral language when possible.
Many people do.

I try not to live my life such that I am constantly in fear of giving offense.

When someone makes a point of being offended at what I say -- either on his own behalf or on behalf of some arbitrary "interest group" -- I ask if he understood what I meant. If he says yes, then I invite him to join in the spirit of the discussion and leave off trying to attack the presentation.

I have little patience with someone who appoints himself the arbiter of how I shall compose the presentation of ideas.

pharmer
January 29, 2008, 08:51 PM
I just explain that I have been doing it for 30 years. In fact, 20 years ago, the state gave me a proper license to do just that. Seems comforting to most. Joe

Just Jim
January 30, 2008, 01:47 AM
Maybe you were trying to be cute when you wrote that. If so, you failed. If not, it's one of the more asinine things I've read here in a while. Please try to mentally separate from that idea that your genitals and use of weapons are somehow connected.

The educated could separate the two and understand. I am sorry I put you in the position I did. The facts are the men in general have been nuetered by the PC crowd that wants to talk gender rather than courage. Those who would take the "man" out of being men. They are the same ones that want to take away our gun or make it so you go to jail even in your own defense.

Too bad the country has gone so feminized that they can no longer say it takes some "stones" to fight back. You won't find that courage or stones being gender specific with the bad guys. They don't care who or what you are as they rob,rape and kill you.

jj

Joe Demko
January 30, 2008, 08:52 AM
Too bad the country has gone so feminized that they can no longer say it takes some "stones" to fight back.

You still don't get it. Fighting back has nothing to do with masculine or feminine.

Biker
January 30, 2008, 09:14 AM
Had a guy ask me once. He said "Why would a guy your size need to carry that hogleg around?"

I said "I got tired of chasing the SOBs down".

Biker:)

The Annoyed Man
January 30, 2008, 11:15 AM
While I can appreciate the wry humor in the answers in that link, I do not think that most of them are remotely appropriate to use in an actual situation.

My goal would be to have as few people as possible actually know that I'm carrying in the first place. But if asked, I think that whatever answer I gave, it would be tailored to how much I knew about the person doing the asking. But whatever answer I gave, I would begin it with, "Would you like the short answer, or the long answer?" If they indicated the former, then I would answer with one of those handy, but non-insulting quips like, "because I can, and because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away." If they indicated the latter, or asked follow up questions, then I would give a more detailed explanation, outlining my rights and duties as a citizen, pointing out along the way that armed criminals don't give two figs for the politically correct or the lawful, and that your government prefers you disarmed because it makes you easier to manage as a commodity.

I think I would also encourage, during the discussion, a full exploration of what it means to be a gun owner, what the RKBA is, etc., etc., hoping to bring them around to my point of view. Here's why I would take the trouble: I have not always been a gun owner, nor have I always been a supporter of gun ownership.

I did not grow up around guns. I never fired a .22 LR until I was 18. I never fired a centerfire anything until I inherited my dead father's 1911-A1 at age 38, which he had kept as a WW2 souvenir. I have mentioned on other threads that I spent 6 years working in a major ER, and with the 2 lone exceptions, all I ever saw of guns were the results of their criminal misuse - hundreds of times over. The prevailing view in the medical community, and most particularly in the Emergency Medicine community, is that guns have no place in our society, and I was very much a part of that world.

When I inherited my dad's .45, I figured that, if I was going to have a gun in the house, I should know how to handle it safely. So I called up a couple of buddies of mine who were at the time both sergeants in the California NG, and I asked them to teach me how to properly handle and shoot this thing. They were more than glad to induct me into the ranks of gun owners by both teaching me the hows, AND the whys. They were patient and respectful. In the process, they converted me from being a guy who was scared of the gun he owned into a guy who has started amassing a collection, loves to shoot, is waiting for his CHL to come in the mail, and who is now an enthusiastic supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights.

Interestingly, the acquisition of this pistol also started me along the path of conversion from being a political liberal to being a political conservative - but that is another story.

The point of of all this is that my fear and loathing of firearms was based in literal ignorance. I was not stupid - just uninformed. If my friends had been dismissive or impatient with me, I might have remained that way, and to this day, I might have been voting to disarm YOU. Instead, they created a convert to the cause.

My goal would be to do that each and every time the issue comes up. Flippant and disrespectful answers will do nothing but alienate people who might otherwise be similarly converted. It helps if you start from the presumption that antis aren't stupid - they're just uninformed. At that point, it becomes our duty to inform them in way that brings them around to our understanding. If you deliberately insult them, then you drive them further into the anti camp; and at that point, you have become as much a threat to the RKBA as the antis.

Balance in all things.

Just Jim
January 30, 2008, 01:13 PM
In a better world, no one would ask the question as it would be accepted as a common practice. Those who fear self defense seem to be the majority.

jj

The_Shootist
January 30, 2008, 01:54 PM
Sure you can...:evil:

-terry
January 30, 2008, 03:41 PM
Annoyed
Good post, but there is a lot of bluster and puffery on this thread. Reason may lose in the signal-to-noise ratio.

I have no idea why "being a man" is important at all in self defense. Women have as much courage as men and are sometimes smarter about when they display it. I'm also no sure why you can lose your "being a man" so simply...just deciding not to carry and you are no longer a "man." I guess it's just the quote marks. :D

Just Jim
January 30, 2008, 03:57 PM
I have no idea why "being a man" is important at all in self defense. Women have as much courage as men and are sometimes smarter about when they display it.

Yep that is why they draft women in war time. That is why in the most hostile of times when they need Navy Seals they pick the women to go. That is why when men are violent women step in and stop it. That is why our laws are bent to protect women from men.

The feminization of America takes away the ability of Americans to save themselves from being victims. Could you tell me how many women have won the congressional medal of honor, how many men?????
jj

Joe Demko
January 30, 2008, 09:25 PM
Could you tell me how many women have won the congressional medal of honor, how many men?????

That has nothing whatsoever to do with self-defense or use of weapons, but I will dignify it with a response anyway. Why don't you do a little research on women such as Ludmilla Pavlichenko or Lilya Litvyak before you take it upon yourself to assign any more gender roles? Unless you are something really special, I daresay either one of them personally killed a whole lot more men in combat than you. There were more female snipers than Ludmilla and more female fighter pilots than Lilya. We won't even go into the female partisans in numerous countries and numerous wars. There is more to the world than the US and more to history than who won the Medal of Honor.

One more time: Self-defense is gender neutral. Deal with it.

springmom
February 7, 2008, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Really? What if the person asking is a woman? Shocking idea on this board, I know

Well, I'm not insulted by Jim's post, and I didn't think it rude. While I appreciate the concern for women shooters and have occasionally made a noisy fuss at people on the board who WERE being rude, this actually isn't.

My answer would mirror his, perhaps: Because I am a free woman and I choose to walk unafraid. No woman should walk in fear because she cannot protect herself.

Springmom

AZ_Rebel
February 10, 2008, 12:14 PM
Been trying to an answer with as few words as possible. I like this one:

Armed... for evil exists

If you enjoyed reading about "Answers when somebody ask you why you carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!