RCBS under new management, doesn't look good

PDA

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
January 25, 2008, 02:30 PM
I had some problems with my RCBS 110V automated trimmer and needed some replacement parts. I called RCBS at the 1-800-533-5000 customer service number. I get a recording that says their customer service hours are from 6:30 AM to 3:00 PM M-F. I've never know them to have such limited hours in all my years of dealing with them. I look over at my computer clock and my alarm clock and it's 2:30 PM Eastern Standard time, so they aren't even answering the phone when they say they're available.

So I start checking out the website and see if something has changed. Apparently it has. They now appear to be owned by ATK ammunition group, whoever they are. Here's the link information:

http://www.rcbs.com/general/aboutus.aspx

So then I check out their warranty page. It's changed as well, significantly it appears, unless my memory is fooling me:

http://www.rcbs.com/general/warranty.aspx

I know they're making Rock Chuckers in China now and was wondering if anyone else has recently used their warranty service and if it was as good as it once was. Obviously, they've limited the available hours to call customer service to time periods making it tougher for folks across the country to get hold of them.

I hope this doesn't spell a downturn in RCBS customer service and warranty support. It certainly doesn't look good when you can't get them on the phone at 2:30 PM eastern.

Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS under new management, doesn't look good" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
January 25, 2008, 03:04 PM
Presses made in China? Lookout. Don't chew on them. They may have lead based paint on them...

ATAShooter
January 25, 2008, 03:15 PM
ATK owns alot of stuff, RCBS, Federal Ammunition, shooters ridge shooting acc., Champion targets, Outer's Gun care products, Alliant Powder, Speer bullets, and a bunch of others I forgot.

Jim Watson
January 25, 2008, 03:18 PM
And has for some years. Any change in their customer service is due to something more recent.

ATAShooter
January 25, 2008, 03:24 PM
Here we go.. knew I had it round here somewhere...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ATAShooter/atk001.jpg

jenrob
January 25, 2008, 03:30 PM
RCBS has been a part of ATK for a while now. and ther hours are as stated above but are mon-thurs. closed Fri sat and Sun

Eagle103
January 25, 2008, 03:43 PM
When I last dealt with them just over a year ago I believe the hours were the same as you state. ATK has owned them for some time now too. Anyway the service I got then was "what's your address" and no other questions. Can't do much better than that.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
January 25, 2008, 03:51 PM
Well, that at least is good news. So when I can get them on the phone I can hopefully get some parts.

Dave

kir_kenix
January 25, 2008, 04:47 PM
the rockchucker is now made in china? too bad, i need another single stage...guess i wont be looking at a new rcbs.

Jim Watson
January 25, 2008, 05:09 PM
RCBS frame castings are made in Communist China. They still do the machining. I'm glad mine was Made in USA... 37 years ago.

cdrt
January 25, 2008, 05:11 PM
The last time I called them, their 1-800 number was screwed up. It would just give the message about hours/days, etc. I had to call their regular number to get someone to answer the phone. Once I got through, everything was okay. I told them about the problem with the 1-800 number. I guess they never fixed it.

Peter M. Eick
January 25, 2008, 07:40 PM
I could have sworn that they did not work friday also for customer support. I thought the hours were like 9 to 3 monday to thursday for some reason.

You know you can always email them. You get a response in a day and normally if you include your mailing address if you need parts they just ship it.

carbine85
January 25, 2008, 08:15 PM
My only complaint with RCBS is the limited hours they keep, other then that the service is great. Every time I ask for something they send it out no questions asked and they have good products.

ocabj
January 25, 2008, 08:25 PM
If you know what parts you need, all you have to do is use the customer service form on their website. I have never called RCBS, ever. But I've gotten free replacement parts from resizing die stems to decapping pins several times by simply using the web form.

presspuller
January 25, 2008, 08:34 PM
I could have sworn that they did not work friday also for customer support. I thought the hours were like 9 to 3 monday to thursday for some reason.

How right you are.
It has been a monday-thrusday thing for as long as I can remember.

bigbird1
January 25, 2008, 08:51 PM
I got a new primer catch pan for my RC press , they sent it out asap with out a question. great service for a press made in 1975 lol

lordgroom
January 26, 2008, 12:34 AM
I used their warranty service 3 weeks ago. Was just as great as always. Sent me replacements, no questions asked and even threw in some extra parts I might need later. As for hours and not answering the phone during posted hours... I believe they are Pacific time.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
January 26, 2008, 08:18 AM
Ok, I'm a genius. I realized I called on Friday. Forgot what day it was. They are closed Fridays. Dang, the week's vacation went by fast.

Dave

highlander 5
January 26, 2008, 09:08 AM
Their hours are stated as Pacific time so in my neck of the woods that's 9:30 am to 6:00 pm

armabill
January 26, 2008, 02:23 PM
This is what I don't like about their warranty: This warranty excludes any electrical components or products.

???

CBS220
January 26, 2008, 02:40 PM
I don't think they make most of their electronic stuff themselves, so maybe that's why.

paperpuncher49
January 26, 2008, 05:09 PM
Few manufacturers will provide a long warranty on electronics; they are simply subject to too many possible hazards. Still RCBS has great customer service, IMO. My biggest complaint is that the "hold" time is often excessive if you don't call when they first start taking calls.

gggman
January 26, 2008, 07:17 PM
My experience with their customer service was outstanding. I ordered a part for my powder throw, and I ordered the wrong part, MY FAULT, and when I called and told them that I had ordered the wrong one, they sent me the correct part, no charge.

kimbernut
January 26, 2008, 09:54 PM
Last Monday I emailed and asked that they send me a new plastic cover for my 10-10- scale along with an invoice for the same.I got a return email Tuesday saying it would be coming as warranty replacement. Friday package arrived n/c.

jenrob
January 26, 2008, 10:02 PM
the rockchucker is now made in china? too bad, i need another single stage...guess i wont be looking at a new rcbs.
Redding is still made here in the USA.

GunTech
January 26, 2008, 10:16 PM
Redding is great stuff. I wouldn't trade my turret press for anything.

paperpuncher49
January 27, 2008, 07:35 AM
Unfortunately, what isn't being made in China now!

WmCC
January 27, 2008, 08:12 AM
Re: RCBS

1. The grand old company appears to be as healthy, vibrant and QC conscious as ever and

2. it has been a part of ATK for a number of years and

3. only a few iron/steel castings are made offshore...everything is finished, spec'd and assembled in the states. It's ownership and products are as "American" as any Harley or Chevy...probably more so!

I have selected and used their equipment for over 40 years and have found it to always be TOP DRAWER, including the newer offerings and CS. I replaced a 550 and 650 with a Pro 2000 several years ago and have never looked back. Good stuff!! Actually, the Blue and Red companies also produce very fine machines...you really can't go wrong with any of them. Selection of a press or other gizmo is simply a matter of picking the construction, color and appointments that you like.

Lets find another rumor to dust off and track.

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS under new management, doesn't look good" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!