Springfield .22 Single Shot Rifle?

PDA

doc540
January 25, 2008, 08:31 PM
Years ago my dad's treasured .22 single shot was stolen while in my care. If I could identify the model, I might be able to purchase another one.

I know it would mean a lot to him since he's 86 years old and bought it when he was about 12 years old.

It was a full size, bolt action with a "button" on the back of the bolt for cocking it. I'm certain it had the "Springfield" name on it.

He was born in 1921, so it was probably manufactured in the late '20's, early '30's. Near as I can tell so far, it might be a #49 "Challenge".

Anyone here know the model number or where I can research it?

It's very similar to this one, but it was not stamped "Peerless" as this one.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-8/1206983/pee1.jpg

Thanks a million.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield .22 Single Shot Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
January 26, 2008, 12:17 AM
If as late as 1935, it fits the description of a Stevens - Springfield Model 82.

doc540
January 26, 2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks, I'm searching for one now.

If anyone runs across one, please send me a pm.

Jim Watson
January 26, 2008, 12:56 PM
At age 86, don't burn lifespan looking for a perfect match. Since you are going by a vague recollection do not depend on finding a #49 Challenge or a Model 82 that might not have been what he had anyhow. Get him a Springfield/Stevens/Savage .22 single shot and make a fuss over it.

doc540
January 26, 2008, 05:22 PM
I hear ya, Jim. I'm looking hard at that Peerless.

Don Fulton
March 26, 2009, 09:21 PM
I have a Springfield single-shot .22cal made in Chickopee, MA. I've had it for close to 47 years, and there are no markings indicating model number etc. I can provide a picture if you think it will help tracking down the missing .22

chibiker
March 28, 2009, 01:05 AM
http://webpages.charter.net/wayned/Springfield%20M-15%2022RF.JPG
What you are describing could be this... Springfield Model 15 made by J. Stevens Arms Co. They were made starting in the 30's through about mid 1945. I don't have a pic of mine handy so I found this one on the web. Mine was my Dad's given to me when I was a kid as it was given to him by his father. I've seen them pop up at guns shows from time to time for between $100 to $200. I consider mine to be priceless.
Good luck in your hunt, I really think you would be able to find one without searching the ends of the earth. This particular model I believe had a production run close to 250,000 pieces. Quick search on Google found this one...
http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/springfield_model_15_bolt_action_22_rifle/classifieds/ViewAd?oid=3699102

Alexis
August 19, 2009, 03:22 PM
If Anyone is still interested I have One that fits the description to T, had it in a safe for years and it is in excellent condition, shoots .22 Shorts and .22LR.

I'll take $80 Plus shipping.

You can PM me or Email me Alephts@hotmail.com

bigfatdave
August 19, 2009, 04:43 PM
Alexis, we have a classifieds sub-forum, it would probably be more effective to post there, rather than resurrecting a zombie thread.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield .22 Single Shot Rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!