Another young FL area student busted with a knife...

PDA

RustyShackelford
January 26, 2008, 04:54 AM
www.myfoxorlando.com

Another young student brought a knife from home to "eat" with. This child also had a "hate list" of other kids he did not like and the school officals took formal actions against this kid for other incidents. :rolleyes:

Let the posts fly!!!

Rusty S :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Another young FL area student busted with a knife..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
.cheese.
January 26, 2008, 07:07 AM

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=5577788&version=12&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) -- The father of a 10-year-old Orlando boy who was arrested Wednesday filed a complaint today with the school board.

The elementary student was arrested Wednesday after Orlando Police say he had a knife on a school bus. No one was injured.

The student, Christopher Curtiss, has been suspended for 10 days from Vista Lakes Elementary. He could be expelled and that decision will come from the Orange County school district.

On Wednesday morning around 8:30 a.m., officers were dispatched to Semoran Boulevard and Bent Pine Drive for the report of a student with a knife on a school bus. Upon arrival they spoke with the bus driver and students on the bus who told the officers that Curtis had thrown the knife out the bus window. Officers found the knife a few feet from the bus.

In an interview with FOX 35, Christopher said he intended to use the knife to cut an apple. "I didn't eat any breakfast. I wanted to cut it and eat it. People saw and they started screaming and the bus driver stopped the bus," he said.

Curtis was then taken into custody and transported to the Juvenile Assessment Center where he was later joined by his father, James Curtiss.

His father says it was a misunderstanding and believes that officials overreacted. "This whole thing is blown out of proportion. They arrested my son for something so nominal," said Curtiss.

Police say a teacher at Vista Lakes Elementary was told by a student that Curtis was recently seen making a list which included the names of several students. When the teacher inquired, Christopher said it was a list of people who had been "mean to him" and has wanted to avoid. The teacher made him dispose of the list and thought nothing more about it at the time.

When FOX 35 reporter Holly Bristow asked Christopher about the list, he replied, "it was a list of people that might hurt me." Responding to the question of whether or not he intended to do harm to the subjects on the list he replied, "no I wouldn't hurt them. I'd stay away from them."

According to school officials, this is not the first time Curtiss has be in trouble. Last year, as a third-grader, he brought a toy gun to school. A teacher discovered the toy gun in his backpack and he was suspended for three days.

Orange County Code of Conduct has four levels of infractions which could result in expulsion. Such violations include: bringing weapons, alcohol or drugs to school property, threatening school employees, inciting panic through a false alarm or bomb threats and sexual offenses.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/photo_servlet?contentId=5582222&version=1&locale=EN-US&subtype=MIMG&siteId=1008&isP16=true
A 10-year-old Orlando elementary student was arrested Wednesday after Orlando Police say he had a knife on a school bus.

.cheese.
January 26, 2008, 07:09 AM
would help understand this better if we knew what kind of knife it was

JBB
January 26, 2008, 07:49 AM
No matter what your opinion on this subject is, the bottom line is this: don;t carry anything to school that could be construed as a weapon. I am constantly preaching to my grandsons to never, ever, carry a pocketknife or anything else on school property. In today's social and political climate there is no tolerance or recourse for any violation. If you get caught, the circumstance won't matter, you will be sent home or arrested. In my city, a high school senior about to graduate was expelled and prohibited from attending her graduation ceremony when a security guard looked in her car window in the school parking lot and saw a butter knife on the floor. She had been helping someone move and the knife had fallen out of a box. She was an excellent student with a spotless record, but her punishment stood, just the same.

.cheese.
January 26, 2008, 10:29 AM
don;t carry anything to school that could be construed as a weapon.

While I understand your point and agree to an extent, I am reminded of a teacher I had in highschool.... whose name I can't remember for the life of me....

I do remember that she would ask in regards to just about anything, "Should I consider that a weapon?" as a threat to write a student up.

Now, keep in mind, I was never one to get in trouble. However, she even once asked me in regards to a guitar I had with me one day whether she should consider it a weapon..... (in my case she was mostly joking with me)..... but for most kids she would write them up for just about anything.

yep, for most kids, she'd write up just about anything as a weapon.

and there is some truth behind this insanity... just about anything can be used as a weapon. I saw kids get smacked hard with lunch trays, one kid was stabbed with a pencil, a guy who had serious issues beat the heck out of a poor kid with a chair.... and it goes on.... half filled water bottles hurt when somebody swings one at you, and a swung backpack could probably be lethal with the kind of weight that is in them, on and on.

weapons are all over schools.... they don't need to be shiny and pointy or have a trigger.

joab
January 26, 2008, 10:59 AM
Curtis had thrown the knife out the bus window.
Last year, as a third-grader, he brought a toy gun to school. A teacher discovered the toy gun in his backpack and he was suspended for three days.
He knew he was wrong but did it anyway
Doesn't lend well to his credibility on the apple cutting excuse or the reason for his list

Just because we don't agree with a rule does not mean that everyone that gets caught breaking it is good and noble and misunderstood

joab
January 26, 2008, 11:04 AM
Other sources list it only as a kitchen knife

Old Fuff
January 26, 2008, 11:50 AM
Last year, as a third-grader, he brought a toy gun to school. A teacher discovered the toy gun in his backpack and he was suspended for three days.

Just because we don't agree with a rule does not mean that everyone that gets caught breaking it is good and noble and misunderstood

Today’s public schools are a lot better at making rules than they are in using good judgment or common sense. The proper response in times past if a 7 or 8-year-old student was caught with a toy gun would be to confiscate it, and then (maybe) return it to a parent with a note asking for cooperation to insure it didn’t happen again. A suspension would be over-kill and interfere with the child’s education, as the class would go on during his/her enforced absence.

One unexpected consequence in my community to public school incompetence at many levels, is an explosion in the number of charter and private schools, which now outnumber the public schools in grades K through 12.

The main difference between charter and private schools is that the former get financial state aid that would normally go to the public school system. Most of the private schools are church-based and don’t get this money. Because charter schools do get financial assistance from the state they are affordable for parents that otherwise would have to send their children to a public school.

Charter and private schools have weapons policies similar to those in public schools, but they seem to do a better job in defining what a “weapon” is, and use some common sense in enforcing these and other rules. They also have higher academic standards and generally their students do better on standardized tests mandated by the state and federal governments. This is particularly true of the church-based private schools that emphasize basics, rather then the latest fad being pushed by (so called) educational professionals.

Obviously our public school system is being hurt as students and money are redirected toward other educational institutions, but it may take this kind of competition to get constructive changes made where they need to be made.

Officers'Wife
January 26, 2008, 12:00 PM
Toy guns and kitchen knives... result- the men in blue take him into custody

Drugs and real guns... result- the men in blue make deals for meaningless probation.

conclusion- stupid stuff has serious consequences while serious crimes are dealt with lightly... Some education system you have there.

Selena

jfh
January 26, 2008, 12:24 PM
In 1954, when I was in 4th grade, the boys with play 'stretch' on the school playground during recess with the pocket knives we all carried: We would start facing each other, quite close, and then 'throw' our knife out for the opponent to stretch his foot to. The knife had to stick in the ground, of course, to determine how far he had to stretch.

Occasionally, a disagreement would break out--usually someone would start to fall over, and his opponent would cry "winner," and the loser would contest...and we would call the teacher (a female) over to be the final judge.

Sometimes, she would offer advice, too. Mrs. Ronstadt, of Willmar, MN, where are you now that we really need you?

Jim H.

Pax Jordana
January 26, 2008, 01:07 PM
When the teacher inquired, Christopher said it was a list of people who had been "mean to him" and has wanted to avoid. The teacher made him dispose of the list and thought nothing more about it at the time.

No, you can't avoid the kids that are mean to you!

I think our public schools really *are* teaching kids a whole lot. Like how authority works, what it catches and what it misses.

Arbitrary laws and arbitrary rules, the kids don't even have to adapt when they graduate. Some of us turn out alright..

Sharps-shooter
January 26, 2008, 01:32 PM
When I was a grade school kid, in eastern kentucky, you were supposed to bring a knife to school. It was considered ungentlemanly to not have one, as they were handy items for cutting things.

We also had a lot of games we would play with our knives. we'd see who could whittle the best, or improvise something like horseshoes, throwing them at a stump or a circle traced in the dirt. We also ate with our knives, and sometimes showed off by throwing fruit into the air and impaling it on the way down. Sometimes we played really foolish games with them, like pressing blades together to see whose blade would cut into whose first. Or splaying out our fingers on a board and seeing how fast we could stab all the spaces between the fingers without stabbing the fingers. If our teachers saw us doing this, they might shake their heads and say, you're gonna get cut doing that. but they never made us stop, that I can remember.

All through my school years, i can remember two kids who got cut while at school. One was an act of violence, committed by a deranged person, in high school. The other was when my classmate kevin cut himself trying to whittle, in fifth grade. Compare that to at least two concussions from playground equipment that i can recall, I-don't-know-how-many broken arms and legs, sprained ankles, and at least one serious eye injury from organized sports like baseball.

All in all, i feel fortunate to be able to send my kids to schools where such things are judged on a case by case basis, and not on some fanatical legalism. My daughter took a knife to school to cut up an apple a few weeks ago. It wasn't a problem, because cutting up an apple with a knife is a sensible, responsible thing for a human being to do, and it harms no one.

22-rimfire
January 26, 2008, 01:57 PM
Kids make lists all the time.... a mean list, now that sounds ominous. Definitely a future prison inmate. What is this country turning into? The public schools are trying to turn out little robots. President Hillary Clinton makes perfect sense in this light.

I also suspect the school over reacted. But that is my opinion and does not fit with the current rules climate in schools. I would like to know what knife it was. I lean toward the father's perspective, but the parent is going to defend his child. However, my Dad would not have defended me if I screwed up. Take your punishment, learn, and move on with life.

Tokugawa
January 26, 2008, 02:15 PM
Here is my take- by submitting to idiocy, idiocy flourishes.

B yond
January 26, 2008, 02:15 PM
I just think it interesting that when a teacher discovers that this kid has a whole list of kids that are mean to him he/she does nothing about it (the mean kids). When this kid brings a toy to school he's suspended for it, and when he tries to cut an apple he gets arrested.

Now, I don't know this kid or his family, but it doesn't sound like he was doing anything that deserved punishment. It really chaps my @ss when kids are being picked on by other kids and that gets ignored, but bringing a toy gun to school or a sharp eating utensil gets so much attention.

I wish these schools would focus more on stopping bullying and less on stopping the flow of contraband toy guns and butter knives.

For crying out loud, any school kid who wants to hurt another can just stab them with a pencil or steel pen, yet those items are not regulated at all at school. How do you hurt someone with a toy gun? :banghead:

Mumble grumble grumble...

Joe Gunns
January 26, 2008, 04:34 PM
Since the '60's many educators (inlcuding post-secondary) have been focused on changing the world, rather than teaching kids how deal with the world as it is. (Same thing has happened in other professions: journalism -changing the world rather than reporting on what is, law -changing the world rather than upholding existing standards, science -changing the world rather than increasing knowledge.) While there are teachers/administrators (and members of those other professions) who are "old school," the world-changers tend to dominate the making of policy. The result has been the proliferation of inflexible rules applied with puritanistic self-righteousness.
James,
Class of '67
Tacoma Public Schools, retired.

joab
January 27, 2008, 12:24 PM
Toy guns and kitchen knives... result- the men in blue take him into custody
Drugs and real guns... result- the men in blue make deals for meaningless probation.
Your conclusion doesn't hold water
Those with the real drugs and guns are taken into custody and this kid also will never spend a day in jail
Besides the obvious fact that the hired men in blue have no authority to make deals, only the elected men in suits

In 1954, when I was in 4th grade, the boys with play 'stretch' on the school playground during recess with the pocket knives we all carried: We would start facing each other, quite close, and then 'throw' our knife out for the opponent to stretch his foot to. The knife had to stick in the ground, of course, to determine how far he had to stretch.
When I was a kid colored people could not drink at the same water fountains as whites
We don't live in those times now
And lamenting or celebrating the changes does little to improve where we are today
All it does is make for stories interesting to us older folks and boring or misunderstood or both by the youngsters

I would like to know what knife it wasOther sources are calling it a kitchen knife

I just think it interesting that when a teacher discovers that this kid has a whole list of kids that are mean to him he/she does nothing about it (the mean kids)You know this how?
Just because the reporter did not include any info about an investigation into the mean kids does not mean that the school is not looking into it, I for one would be surprised if there was not an investigation and suspensions coming from it if it is verifiable
The boy on the other hand committed a verifiable felony

If you don't like the rules work to change them instead of defending any and everyone that breaks them
I believe that there is an election coming up soon and all local and state level politicians have phones these days web pages are easily erected and

What have any of the complainers done to access these methods of change

If you enjoyed reading about "Another young FL area student busted with a knife..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!